The discovery thread!
Nov 23, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #45,211 of 101,277
Massdrop has the MEE Audio Pinnacle P2 on sale for $25 normally $100. I think last year around this time they could be had for $42. They feature a 10 mm dynamic driver with a copper clad aluminum voice coil (from the specs). I can't find any info on the driver technology.

Does anyone know how they compare to the current host of DDs? (BLON BL-03, CNT1, IT01, No 3...) Curious on these. I can't find anything too exciting about them. Considering them as a gift but for $25, your in BL-03 territory!

Thanks!

Nov 23, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #45,212 of 101,277
I'm in the same camp, for example audio reviews.org doesn't think highly of the moondrop kanas pro, which is something I discovered late.

There are many ways to cop with 3 different people telling you that your beloved iem sucks :

- those people have bad taste (discard on fallacious argument)

- I'm angry at this website (let's sperge in comments like a 12 years old on YouTube)

- I have better hearing than them, they don't know what they're talking about (let's pose as "I'm a sound engineer and musician with diagnosed OCD", as if it has anything to do with judging iems)

- They are right, my item sucks (I'm a sheep without self-esteem and blindly believe what others say)

- It's their right to dislike it, and I somehow acknowledge their points, yet I personally find it enjoyable and don't find their cons a problem for my own taste (maturity)

I'd love to try the Titan 6 but it's a bit more expensive than others I want to try like the form 1.1, hibiscus and no.3 so it's not high on my list to acquire (although I'm always looking for trades on my chifi gear).....
One note on OCD though. It can make you HATE Something that has a very minor flaw that most people wouldn't care less about, or put way, way to much importance on tiny little things, it's basically what drives the high end market.....

That's the obsessive part. the compulsive part makes you collect all the pairs and scientifically process your listening and crave it. I just got my **** Pro about a week ago and I'm already"bored" and need something new. Waiting for my 11.11 purchases is hard.

The problem is that people don't seem to account for taste in audio, as if for some reason your taste in what you hear it's any different than your, well, sense of taste in other aspects. Some people like onions, some don't. Some people think Donald Trump is a stable genius, some don't. Taste is extremely important, and extremely varied. There's simply no reason to be a snob about it or say your opinion is better.

Nov 23, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #45,213 of 101,277
I actually like that form factor. It makes it easy to put into your ears quickly.
It looks a lot like the **** pro form factor, which I actually wear upside down for over the ear. Is it possible we wear it like that? It's one of the timings that's tamed my interest in it. I just don't like having the cable go straight down, I like having my ear as strain relief.

Nov 23, 2019 at 5:25 PM Post #45,214 of 101,277
Massdrop has the MEE Audio Pinnacle P2 on sale for $25 normally $100. I think last year around this time they could be had for $42. They feature a 10 mm dynamic driver with a copper clad aluminum voice coil (from the specs). I can't find any info on the driver technology.

Does anyone know how they compare to the current host of DDs? (BLON BL-03, CNT1, IT01, No 3...) Curious on these. I can't find anything too exciting about them. Considering them as a gift but for $25, your in BL-03 territory!

Thanks!

I bought a used P2 for £30 or 35 a year ago or so and I thought they were meh for the money I spent. BL-03 is significantly better than P2 IMHO.

Nov 23, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #45,215 of 101,277
I'd love to try the Titan 6 but it's a bit more expensive than others I want to try like the form 1.1, hibiscus and no.3 so it's not high on my list to acquire (although I'm always looking for trades on my chifi gear).....
One note on OCD though. It can make you HATE Something that has a very minor flaw that most people wouldn't care less about, or put way, way to much importance on tiny little things, it's basically what drives the high end market.....

That's the obsessive part. the compulsive part makes you collect all the pairs and scientifically process your listening and crave it. I just got my **** Pro about a week ago and I'm already"bored" and need something new. Waiting for my 11.11 purchases is hard.

The problem is that people don't seem to account for taste in audio, as if for some reason your taste in what you hear it's any different than your, well, sense of taste in other aspects. Some people like onions, some don't. Some people think Donald Trump is a stable genius, some don't. Taste is extremely important, and extremely varied. There's simply no reason to be a snob about it or say your opinion is better.

I know a thing or two about OCD as my gf and her mother have it. Let me get this straight out of the way, gear acquisition syndrome has literally nothing to do with it, and it does not in any way make one's opinion relevant about audio gear, as what ticks one OCD person is completely different from another OCD person. Just as "I'm musician" is a poor argument for trying to pretend you make good reviews. What if you're a musician for Justin Bieber? Or the bassist of a crappy Elton John local cover band? Does that qualify you for reviewing Meze audio products? A bit tired of this current trend of everyone having OCD and being a musician or a retired sound engineer tbh.

You can find whatever excuse you like about having too much gear and being obsessed about the next purchase, but true OCD is more about verifying twice that the door is locked and flushing the toilets automatically when you enter the bathroom than spending all your money on iems vOv

(Sorry if you're a genuine OCD person and didn't ask for the bashing, but I'm getting tired of the recent wave of suddenly everyone having OCD, while I myself live with someone having true OCD and knowing those ppl are usurping something that is not super funny to make themselves look like they have authority on a subject or as an excuse for buying everything)

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #45,218 of 101,277
What if you're a musician for Justin Bieber?

To be fair, that kid has a great songwriting production team, you can be sure the musicians behind him (whether we like the song or not) know about good sound :ksc75smile:

Nov 23, 2019 at 8:32 PM Post #45,219 of 101,277
I know a thing or two about OCD as my gf and her mother have it. Let me get this straight out of the way, gear acquisition syndrome has literally nothing to do with it, and it does not in any way make one's opinion relevant about audio gear, as what ticks one OCD person is completely different from another OCD person. Just as "I'm musician" is a poor argument for trying to pretend you make good reviews. What if you're a musician for Justin Bieber? Or the bassist of a crappy Elton John local cover band? Does that qualify you for reviewing Meze audio products? A bit tired of this current trend of everyone having OCD and being a musician or a retired sound engineer tbh.

You can find whatever excuse you like about having too much gear and being obsessed about the next purchase, but true OCD is more about verifying twice that the door is locked and flushing the toilets automatically when you enter the bathroom than spending all your money on iems vOv

(Sorry if you're a genuine OCD person and didn't ask for the bashing, but I'm getting tired of the recent wave of suddenly everyone having OCD, while I myself live with someone having true OCD and knowing those ppl are usurping something that is not super funny to make themselves look like they have authority on a subject or as an excuse for buying everything)
No offense taken, I have diagnosed, medicated OCD and consider this hobby to be a semi positive outlet for me to focus my OCD versus rabies or mouse turds (literally). So I have a bit of an opinion on the matter and wish OCD was understood better.

Compulsive behaviors, as you've mentioned, are one aspect of OCD, usually people both have obsessive ruminations where they can't stop or get rid of certain irrational thoughts, and compulsive behaviors that alleviate the anxiety related to the obsessions but are ultimately somewhere between dehabilitating and just annoying (severity is usually measured by the amount of disruption to ones life).

As one of my doctor's said, everyone had obsessions, but compulsions are what differentiate those with OCD.

My compulsions honestly have more to do with checking Ali and Amazon 100 times a day for new coupons or price changes on products than actual listening behavior, although I have some shall we say, "procedures" there too.

This doesn't make my opinion on audio gear more valid than anyone else, but there is a certain rigor that I apply to the hobby out of my mental illness that a casual listener may not. This stuff is important to me on a very basic level. Again, there is so much more importance in personal preferences, taste, anatomy, etcetera, but OCD has me all in on this and I really, REALLY care about this stuff, and consider it to be at least, a somewhat harmless outlet for OCD.

Nov 23, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #45,220 of 101,277
To be fair, that kid has a great songwriting production team, you can be sure the musicians behind him (whether we like the song or not) know about good sound :ksc75smile:
His really early stuff also showed so much natural talent that it hurts to see how it turned out. This happens everywhere though. Jon Jones in MMA, Johnny Manziel in football. I guess you should just avoid J names.

Nov 23, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #45,221 of 101,277
You lost me at Beiber :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back