The discovery thread!
May 11, 2024 at 8:10 PM Post #101,266 of 102,843
The CRAPro has hit Rambone's fan...errrr...porch.

May 11, 2024 at 9:43 PM Post #101,267 of 102,843
Because without 10 mediocre sets you will not know which excellent one is for you.
It is a very good point to consider - how much is needed to know what can be great for someone. I have quite a few anekdotal stories, but skip them.
One relevant piece of wisdom (that I learned from one of the SciFi stories) is that in order to ask a good question one often needs to know most of the answer.

So if one has a clear idea of a preferred sound signature, a bag of tips to fine-tune, etc. - it can work out great.
Plus the source, so it won't be just one mid/total IEM, a good source to drive IEM is needed (despite being a great fan of an Apple dongle, I know its limits, and learned a bit hard way of the source importance).
I am in the camp that considers sources being most cost-effective at about 30-40% of one's total chain value. Then personally, I found enough difference in DACs and good enjoyment exploring the synergy to get DACs at about the same price as IEMs.

My recent addition is the older one that now became reasonably affordable (to me) and my first (!), I realized, item in this hobby not made in China.
20240510_165559.jpg

20240510_165609.jpg

Opposite to my (perhaps, naive) expectations of "magical A&K" rendering with shimmering mids, amazing layering or something, I just hear nice and energetic Cirrus implementation with great dynamics. Cool (both in terms of enjoyment and operating temperatures).
I hope to have a lot of fun comparing A&K HC2 with Fiio KA17 and my other (now secret) favourite DAC. I hope it is the very last piece that I needed to complete my audiophile journey :wink:

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 10:02 PM Post #101,268 of 102,843
It is a very good point to consider - how much is needed to know what can be great for someone. I have quite a few anekdotal stories, but skip them.
One relevant piece of wisdom (that I learned from one of the SciFi stories) is that in order to ask a good question one often needs to know most of the answer.

So if one has a clear idea of a preferred sound signature, a bag of tips to fine-tune, etc. - it can work out great.
Plus the source, so it won't be just one mid/total IEM, a good source to drive IEM is needed (despite being a great fan of an Apple dongle, I know its limits, and learned a bit hard way of the source importance).
I am in the camp that considers sources being most cost-effective at about 30-40% of one's total chain value. Then personally, I found enough difference in DACs and good enjoyment exploring the synergy to get DACs at about the same price as IEMs.

My recent addition is the older one that now became reasonably affordable (to me) and my first (!), I realized, item in this hobby not made in China.

Opposite to my (perhaps, naive) expectations of "magical A&K" rendering with shimmering mids, amazing layering or something, I just hear nice and energetic Cirrus implementation with great dynamics. Cool (both in terms of enjoyment and operating temperatures).
I hope to have a lot of fun comparing A&K HC2 with Fiio KA17 and my other (now secret) favourite DAC. I hope it is the very last piece that I needed to complete my audiophile journey :wink:

I'm testing Joe Bloggs new convolution filters on R4. The power of DSP built upon good DAC and good amp, combining with a capable enough IEM is pretty mindblowing, like beyond the little nitpicking about a bit more stage here, a bit less dynamic there to show what else we can get with personal audio.

Elysian Pilgrim (flat, capable IEM with extensions to both ends) + room simulation baked into convolution filters + simple EQ to bring the 500Hz up and cut 1kHz = *chef kiss

Edit: I have an idea. Let's try EA1000 and see what the PR driver can do.

Now, imaging if there is a USB DAC device that embeds these DSP tricks inside and works in a way that does not create noticeable audio latency. That would be so good. There was the Creative X1, but its DSP was overbaked for music and the amp itself was pretty noisy. A better implementation would be great.

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 10:19 PM Post #101,270 of 102,843
I absolutely can't relate to this problem, but I wonder if that may stem from me not reading reviews anymore because I gave up on the idea of upgrading.

The thought of finding an upgrade for me seems like a colossal task when I EQ like this:

Not sure how I'd go about interpreting reviews when I EQ like this either. And don't ever count on me writing reviews ever. Doing so would probably test everyone's sanity.
I love it. I wish folks like you did do reviews! I used to own a Hola, but gave it to my partner. I just couldn't deal with the bloomy bass-into-mids. But, wow, you just went for it and turned them into something completely different. I really dig it. Just imagine if reviewers routinely applied EQ to the sets they reviewed. They'd have nothing to talk about!

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 11:01 PM Post #101,271 of 102,843
I'm testing Joe Bloggs new convolution filters on R4. The power of DSP built upon good DAC and good amp, combining with a capable enough IEM is pretty mindblowing, like beyond the little nitpicking about a bit more stage here, a bit less dynamic there to show what else we can get with personal audio.

Elysian Pilgrim (flat, capable IEM with extensions to both ends) + room simulation baked into convolution filters + simple EQ to bring the 500Hz up and cut 1kHz = *chef kiss

Edit: I have an idea. Let's try EA1000 and see what the PR driver can do.

Now, imaging if there is a USB DAC device that embeds these DSP tricks inside and works in a way that does not create noticeable audio latency. That would be so good. There was the Creative X1, but its DSP was overbaked for music and the amp itself was pretty noisy. A better implementation would be great.
Absolutely, using even a simpler equalizer is very cost-effective (that is why I feel that there is a carefully cultuvated mantra that "real audiophiles" do not equalize - they spend money to support the hobby).

Then DSP can bring it to the next level (delays are only crucial for gaming and live sreaming, not for pure music enjoyment). Hiby MSEB is quite good to start with, so Joe taking it further sounds great.

An ultimate solution in this direction (at least according to the Science Forum here) is Realizer. Smyth Realizer - https://smyth-research.com/

Again, I just wish multichanel recordings becoming a reality to have all real venue acoustics, sound layerings, etc. rather than artificially (or semi-artificially) recreating it.

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 11:42 PM Post #101,272 of 102,843
I was intrigued on Xuan NV because how pretty it is and it seems to be good balanced tuning,
but then i come across uuuh, Akros review and comparison

In which he change his opinion on Trio and rank them higher after getting the "right" eartip that give better insertion
while he thinks Rhapsody still have an edge over Trio, against Xuan Nv?
"There is nothing in Xuan Nv can do better than this (Trio)"

also he noted that had Trio is released by different brand like Moondrop, the audio community will rave about it way harder than it is now
---
I suppose back to waiting for Aful Explorer

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 12:13 AM Post #101,273 of 102,843
The CRAPro has hit Rambone's fan...errrr...porch.
LOL @ the CRAPro.

Speaking of CRAPro, some initial impressions since there are a few waiting.

CCA CRAPro

+ Resolving, good tonality, very clean sounding.
+ Immaculate from top to bottom
+ Sub-bass is agile, extended and clean.
+ Treble has some sparkle
+ Comfortable and manageable nozzle size.
- Treble does lean a bit bright at times depending on source, YMMV.
- May require some EQ or source gear with bass emphasis to get the most out of the low end. (Very much a preferential thing).

This one was tossed to my 'Schiit pile' (multiple schiit stacks) that consist of a Midgard, Asgard 3, Magni Unity, Magni Piety and Magni Heretic, Vali 2 with a revolving DAC pool of the Modi Multibit 2, Modi E and a few wildcards such as a Topping D10s, iFi Zen DAC air and a Lavaudio D600. This gives me the widest pool of potential synergies and view into the IEM.

The CRAPro (lol) seems to be a nice resolving set, good tonality and VERY clean sounding. Immaculate from top to bottom. The stage hasn't really changed as far as I can remember from the previous CRA models. Depending on your DAC and amp pairing, the sub-bass can sound pretty agile, extended and clean. Not really much emphasis on rumbly, slow or visceral kind of bass to generate much excitement BUT you can try a DAC that has some bass emphasis to get better results or just EQ (it really does improve). Going to the mid-range, there is a tad bit of (tasteful) warmth there from the mid bass but overall there is just enough note weight to keep things from sounding boring. Depending on what IEM or source chain you just came from I did notice the mids can sound pretty thin. (Damn you Kiwi Ears Singolo). I probably won't see this as a con for now because I just came off the Singolo early today and is something I'm adjusting to without much trouble. Upper mids on this set can make female vocals sound bright and a bit forward. The treble brings some sparkle BUT depending on your source the treble could get a bit fatiguing at higher listening volumes. YMMV here but for a majority of my gear I was just fine.

I've only dicked around with Dunu S&S tips so far and the default installed tips. I'll probably get through more later and swapping out that stock cable. My attention is also a bit divided as I got that TRN ST7 in as well. CRAPro is pretty comfortable with manageable nozzle size that should do well with most.

I like the CRAPro, it seems to be a reasonably well tuned IEM.

As for value, well, the $30 range is absolutely brutal right now and godspeed to anybody trying to pimp out sets in this price bracket. If you liked the last CRA+ model, I guess you would feel at home here. I'm not really seeing this set as one that I would personally reach for again. Something like the CCA Trio is more my speed for this price range.

Edit / Update:
+ Schiit Vali 2 to the tested pool.
- Strikethru on I'm not really seeing this set as one that I would personally reach for again. After using the Vali 2+, the bass just got really aggressive and fun. Midrange a little more lusher and sound stage a bit more expansive. Daddy likes! Straight up Vali 2+ and Modi Multibit 2 for the win here with the CRAPro, hot damn!

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 12:27 AM Post #101,274 of 102,843
Akros said that the Tangzu Xuan NV isn't as good as the Trio which has me screaming internally because I BADLY want that lovely red IEM over the rather ugly gray Trio... hmm.
Ya the Trio is not my favorite looking iem. The Xuan NV is gorgeous. If only they could switch shells 😅
Just ordered a set of the Sivga Nightingale.

In the process of finding a new set, I realized something about IEM reviews (both here and elsewhere). Almost all reviewers seem incapable of judging IEMs by any metric other than their own--or someone else's--personalized "preference curve." It makes it almost impossible to find useful reviews of non-neutral IEMs. It's like reviewers are incapable of understanding an IEM on its own terms, without insisting it cater to their (often surprisingly narrow) preferences. It's a bummer. And I'd wager that more than anything else, it's the reason there are so many same-sounding neutrally tuned IEMs flooding the market, especially in the under $200 range.
I don't have a preference "curve" but I do have a warm tuning preference. I try in my reviews to highlight the things that the iem does well even if it's not my preference. The EA500LM is a fantastic value and I still recommend it to anyone who wants a highly detailed brighter set. Unfortunately it's just not what I like to listen to.
Haven't had that much time yet with AüR Audio Aehta, but I can say I really like this. No need to brain adjustment, liked it from first track. Biggest surprise to me is how clear and resolving it is, quite certain this is the most transparent and technical model from AüR.

I know some dont like switches, but they work so well here. Being able to go from a more neutral bright tuning 011 to a bassy L shaped signature 100 is awesome, makes it very versatile.

DSCF5101.jpg

Also photos with size comparison against some other AüR models: Aehta - Ascension - Aurora - Alita

DSCF5104.jpg

DSCF5106.jpg

DSCF5110.jpg
The utilization of the switches here sounds awesome. Seems like AuR really going for distinct differences in tuning which will offer a lot of variability in one single iem.

May 12, 2024 at 12:46 AM Post #101,275 of 102,843
Speaking of CRAPro, some initial impressions since there are a few waiting.

This one was tossed to my 'Schiit pile' (multiple schiit stacks) that consist of (...)
It sounds like the CRAPpro had good synergy with your Schiit stack :ksc75smile:

May 12, 2024 at 1:02 AM Post #101,276 of 102,843
It sounds like the CRAPpro had good synergy with your Schiit stack :ksc75smile:

They were made for each other, lol :beerchug:

Soulmates or Crapmates?

May 12, 2024 at 1:42 AM Post #101,277 of 102,843
Okay, so I had to add a late last minute addition to the CCA CRA Pro impression (lovingly CRAPro). The Schiit Vali 2+ just took things to the next level.

"After using the Vali 2+, the bass just got really aggressive and fun. Midrange a little more lusher and sound stage a bit more expansive. Daddy likes! Straight up Vali 2+ and Modi Multibit 2 for the win here with the CRAPro, hot damn!"

I'm just sad that this is not the default sound presentation, for me this is the CRA that I wanted and it looks like I found it with a little bit of Schiit magic.

May 12, 2024 at 1:57 AM Post #101,278 of 102,843
May 12, 2024 at 2:34 AM Post #101,279 of 102,843
May 12, 2024 at 3:03 AM Post #101,280 of 102,843
Spent my lunch and an hour post work shift with the Aur Aures, and damn, these things are so GOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!! A more refined Trio with better bass and light years better mids. Similar treble. Similar special sauce stage and imaging. Easily my best set from pretty much every metric EXCEPT air and treble extension, but it's not bad. It's just smoother than what I typically prefer, but they are technical enough to handle any genre with aplomb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back