The discovery thread!
Nov 23, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #45,196 of 100,558
Not buying the DUNU DM-480 being so good. As of late you have to shell out to get good from them. Heck, outside of the Trident I don't think they have had any other sub $100 winners. They have to win us back over big time from them just getting pricier and pricier. Falcon C was lackluster at $219 and this market is tough. Titan 6 hasn't really taken off either. Don't think I am alone at being very cautious on these.

Nov 23, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #45,197 of 100,558
I will let you all know very soon, I will be getting a pre production model. It might be an early finalized one actually. The foundation is there for a good sound but really it comes down to the tuning. I am intrigued by their new models and the DM-480 is one of them.

Can't speak for Dunu but it seems they are striving for better and that is all anyone can ask. I think they know it is a tough market now a days especially with the Chi fi market being so aggressive with as many releases as we have seen within the last year.

Who knows. The sub $100 market is the prove it to me mark. If it sounds great in that segment then I have hopes for their higher end stuff. We will see.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #45,198 of 100,558
I will let you all know very soon, I will be getting a pre production model. It might be an early finalized one actually. The foundation is there for a good sound but really it comes down to the tuning. I am intrigued by their new models and the DM-480 is one of them.

Can't speak for Dunu but it seems they are striving for better and that is all anyone can ask. I think they know it is a tough market now a days especially with the Chi fi market being so aggressive with as many releases as we have seen within the last year.

Who knows. The sub $100 market is the prove it to me mark. If it sounds great in that segment then I have hopes for their higher end stuff. We will see.
How big are the DDs? I'm definitely interested in owning a pair of DUNU iems but the Titan 6 sound sort of mediocre from word of mouth, and the new 2001 is past my point of diminishing returns for not offering any truly "unique" tech.

Nov 23, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #45,199 of 100,558
Just got this bit of specs for the DM-480, sub $100 phone Fr response you usually don't get at the price point.

Frequency Response Range: 5 Hz - 40 kHz (HI-RES Certified)
THD: < 0.5% at 1 kHz
Sensitivity: 105±2 dB at 1 kHz
Resistance: 20 Ω
Any info on when it will be available?

Nov 23, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #45,201 of 100,558
Any info on when it will be available?

Pre-orders start on 11/29, and it starts shipping on 12/25. I believe it will be on their web site. Will get some more info soon.

pic off of twitter.

EE1R4BUXoAERraM.jpg

I had no idea there was a red version.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #45,204 of 100,558
Last edited:
Nov 23, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #45,206 of 100,558
My theory is the T6 didn't take off due to the form factor. There's a lot to like about the sound, so it's too bad. They are my current favorite for rock music.

Like SciOC said before, there is some less than stellar word of mouth overall. Titans before had no issue with form factor. I had or heard all of them and they were pretty popular. Was looking forward to what they were dialing in on at the time but then the Falcon C which was a nice jump from the $139 range and wasn't that hot and then the T6 came finally after a while but I was also not convinced enough to buy them. I waited and at $129 bought the Tape which I wear straight down. Was wanting a straight down MMCX to use with BT amp and Fiio Short cable just never wanted to pull the trigger even with the great case they come with :)

Nov 23, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #45,208 of 100,558
It's irrelevant what others think. As humans we tend to discard opposite opinions and look for confirmation bias on what we purchased anyway...

Maturity is understanding why others would not like something we like but not giving a **** and not trying to argue I suppose.

I pay particular attention when someone has an opposite opinion as me. It doesn't matter if it's fixing a work problem, a local restaurant, or an opinion on a headphone.

Considering an opposite opinion helps me always keep an open mind, and I often learn a new perspective or a new way of doing something that I might have never thought of before.

At a minimum, I at least respect the fact that not everyone thinks the same or feels the same as me. I have always taught my kid from a young age that everyone is entitled to their own opinion (no matter how political or polarizing), even if it is not the same as your belief.

I guess like you said that is a maturity thing.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #45,209 of 100,558
I pay particular attention when someone has an opposite opinion as me. It doesn't matter if it's fixing a work problem, a local restaurant, or an opinion on a headphone.

Considering an opposite opinion helps me always keep an open mind, and I often learn a new perspective or a new way of doing something that I might have never thought of before.

At a minimum, I at least respect the fact that not everyone thinks the same or feels the same as me. I have always taught my kid from a young age that everyone is entitled to their own opinion (no matter how political or polarizing), even if it is not the same as your belief.

I guess like you said that is a maturity thing.

I'm in the same camp, for example audio reviews.org doesn't think highly of the moondrop kanas pro, which is something I discovered late.

There are many ways to cop with 3 different people telling you that your beloved iem sucks :

- those people have bad taste (discard on fallacious argument)

- I'm angry at this website (let's sperge in comments like a 12 years old on YouTube)

- I have better hearing than them, they don't know what they're talking about (let's pose as "I'm a sound engineer and musician with diagnosed OCD", as if it has anything to do with judging iems)

- They are right, my item sucks (I'm a sheep without self-esteem and blindly believe what others say)

- It's their right to dislike it, and I somehow acknowledge their points, yet I personally find it enjoyable and don't find their cons a problem for my own taste (maturity)

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #45,210 of 100,558
My theory is the T6 didn't take off due to the form factor. There's a lot to like about the sound, so it's too bad. They are my current favorite for rock music.
I actually like that form factor. It makes it easy to put into your ears quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back