The discovery thread!
Sep 14, 2019 at 7:06 AM Post #43,803 of 101,307
Am I crazy?... But NX7 pair well with dx204s.
I know that DAP is almost 20 times more expensive but :)

Sep 14, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #43,804 of 101,307
You are not crazy if it sounds good then it is all fine

Sep 14, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #43,806 of 101,307
Has anyone heard the GuideRay GR-i? Bad Guy's given them a glowing review and I haven't seen anyone mention them

The only other review that I can find is from the same author, dated August 19, 2019 & again, August 28, 2019

I have no reason to doubt the author's belief, in his findings. But in a prior video he states that he doesn't believe in burn in; which can skew his results, as burn in is real, for some IEMs. I've had the Dynamic driver on various IEMs really mature, during a lengthy burn in. e.g. TFZ No. 3 & MyLove 2019
&
(edited, mixing up my models)Balanced armatures lose an initial, exaggerated sibilance. e.g. the (current hot model) Blon BL-03 KZ ZS4

In your linked video, the total scores could've easily been 7/7, between the Guideray & the TRN V90, relating to the author's justification, for the scoring of the mids. Then the V90 could be interpreted as beating the GR-I, depending on how you prioritize on sound stage.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #43,807 of 101,307
The only other review that I can find is from the same author, dated August 19, 2019 & again, August 28, 2019

I have no reason to doubt the author's belief, in his findings. But in a prior video he states that he doesn't believe in burn in; which can skew his results, as burn in is real, for some IEMs. I've had the Dynamic driver on various IEMs really mature, during a lengthy burn in. e.g. TFZ No. 3 & MyLove 2019
&
(edited, mixing up my models)Balanced armatures lose an initial, exaggerated sibilance. e.g. the (current hot model) Blon BL-03 KZ ZS4

In your linked video, the total scores could've easily been 7/7, between the Guideray & the TRN V90, relating to the author's justification, for the scoring of the mids. Then the V90 could be interpreted as beating the GR-I, depending on how you prioritize on sound stage.

same: there was a distracting sibilance in the NX7 out of the box, the bass was rather on the weak side / background, it felt also a bit more piercing in the highs - not sure about the mids

after a few days of burn in the sibilance disappeared (newer believed or knew what sibilance before that experience), bass became more pronounced and weighty, highs less piercing

Sep 14, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #43,808 of 101,307
That's what happens when your brain adapt to the sound :wink:

Sep 14, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #43,809 of 101,307

Actually NX7 scales very well to nicer sources much better than most earphones in the $100 range. I use my Shanling M5s with it in balanced. Sounds fantastic. Sounds superb out of my black label too.

Did some more cable rolling again on the NX7 last night. Settled on this one. One of the more highly regarded cables for the price. Brings a smoother fuller roomier character to the NX7. Sounds great on the NX7. Haven't tried it till now as I had it on my Solaris the whole time. Ya the cable cost as much as the earphones. Lol But well worth the added warmth and smoothness to the NX7. Very nice synergy on the NX7.

HTB1lcYuXPDuK1Rjy1zjq6zraFXaj.jpg

I settled on this cable for the Hi7. Adds a bit of warmth to the sound. Pure copper seems to mesh well with the detailed sound of the Hi7.

HTB1wp_DNZfpK1RjSZFOq6y6nFXa9.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #43,810 of 101,307
Has anyone heard the GuideRay GR-i? Bad Guy's given them a glowing review and I haven't seen anyone mention them

I have both the GR-i and the DH3. I like both. Not sure what his problem with the DH3 is, imo it's better than DMG and DMS.

Sep 14, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #43,811 of 101,307

My wife does not thought the same with NCM NC5v2 after few months. She found them annoying when tried first day and some weeks ago, after 6 months of so, she tried again and found them very pleasant and was surprised and impressed. Maybe she was expecting sibilance from memory and remembered them worse than they really were, but I asked her to recall it well and she seems pretty sure that the sound has changed. BTW I do believe in hardware burn-in, so maybe my opinion had weight in this regard.

Sep 14, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #43,812 of 101,307

how can there be brain adaptation when there's burn in without listening to them even once ? during the burn-in process (white, pink, brown noise on loop) I didn't listen to them

magically upon first hear it's super strong sibilant and then for some strange reason the sibilance got adapted and cancelled out by the brain a few days later ?

everything stayed the same, btw - cable, eartips all stock

this doesn't make sense psychologically, physiologically or even physically to be merely some adaptation or "placebo"

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #43,813 of 101,307
how can there be brain adaptation when there's burn in without listening to them even once ? during the burn-in process (white, pink, brown noise on loop) I didn't listen to them

magically upon first hear it's super strong sibilant and then for some strange reason the sibilance got adapted and cancelled out by the brain a few days later ?

everything stayed the same, btw - cable, eartips all stock

this doesn't make sense psychologically, physiologically or even physically to be merely some adaptation or "placebo"

This is not the place to discuss this but there's no hard evidence whatsoever that physical burn in takes place. There's also no logical (or technical) explanation why it would.

People here seem to adore graphs, pretty strange that no graphs show changes after burn in as they're often reported to be "night and day".

For the record, I've got the NX7 used and they've certainly played more than 100 hours in my possession alone and they're still showing sibilance.....

I've got to much respect for this thread to discuss this matter further in here as it most certainly will end with the thread getting closed but I've also got to much integrity to say nothing when people makes statements that's total BS imo. So, I've said what I'm going to say on this matter (until next time :wink:).

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #43,814 of 101,307
BURN IN

To [humbly] try to clarify:

(feel free to adapt / add to etc
- >Please note I am not interested in debating burn in< -
This is my own experience..sorry if yours if different & you [want to] disagree :D

** As painful as it is when we hold different determined views to others, it's very difficult when one has experienced something directly to 'not' believe in it
and thus to all the more strongly argue for ones own case / side of the argument !! . . .
End of the day it really doesn't matter as *We all love music and the magic it has to make us feel good and that's why we are all hear (pun intended)

(As someone who has been burning in for many years + over 100 headphones / IEMs this is what I would like to offer)

What is 'burn in'?

Burn in is a perceived difference in certain elements of the sound of a headphone after a period of use ideally following a set of parameters

Now for the important point:
What would be an actual process of a so called 'qualified' burn in process

There are 2 schools of thought here
-
1. using music that has a full frequency range such as classical or organ.
2. using pink/white noise

Because I personally also believe that dynamics are important, I use; and so will explain method 1. - using music:

1. Using [high quality lossless] tracks you are very familiar with (your own personal Test Tracks) from a well used source - preferably a neutral / accurate DAP
NB: Tracks should have a good range of dynamics and have a good frequency range - such as classic - Johann Sebastian's Brandenburg Concertos are a good example

2. Using tips you know well and fit your own ears perfectly and perhaps a cable you have used a lot

3. You listen to your test tracks OUT OF THE BOX and carefully note anything that stands out in the frequencies -
Out of the box for IEM's Its quite common to experience sibilance, a bloated or muddy bass and a general un-cohesive relationship between the lows, mids and highs

4. Using a playlist with the volume a bit louder than normal listening with a 20 minute break or so every now and then, you leave the IEM's playing music

5. Checking in again at different time points you compare your original findings. A good measure for this is after 12 hours, 50 hours, 100 hours and 200+ hours

6. What to expect? - Everyone has different hearing / equipment / experience and people also LISTEN differently:
Some listen more to the music.
Some people listen more the audio and the details etc. The latter I would suspect would hear more change due more to their listening habits

In general you may well find the biggest change comes from DYNAMIC drivers and the more subtle change coming from ARMATURE drivers
With an IEM that responds particularly well to burn in you may find after many hours that:

1. The bass / low end is tighter, cleaner more cohesive
2. The highs are smooths out and sibilance is diminished or dissapears completely
3. The mids . . . TBH Im not so sure about the mids as it is the first 2 that tend to be the most noticeable ! but in general...smoother or more forward in the mix
and over all - the spacing in between instruments is much cleaner - you hear the different elements and frequencies working with much harmony with each other...as in real life!

What is Brain burn in?
and is it different to Burn in?

Personally i would define Brain burn in as different to the actual process of 'Burn in'..which is essentially a physical process.
I would define Brain burn in as:
the brain/ ear / mind adapting 'itself' or 'getting used to' the character of the headphone you are listening to at the current time
For example going from a bass heavy warmer headphone to a more detailed treble orientated headphone - Because you notice a marked difference it takes a while top get used to the new sound or to forget about the previous sound

Notes:

The reason for writing all this is because:

1. People often use such terms as 'burn in' & 'brain burn in' with perhaps different ideas about what that actually means - The above are my own Definitions. Take them or leave them - Just makes it easier to communicate!
2. People who often claim not to believe in burn in have not gone through the process as explained above or
perhaps do not listen to the audio in a detailed analytical way - They just listen to and enjoy the music :)
Also its usually a lot easier to just exclaim 'I don't believe in something' because I haven't experienced it than to take the time to go through the process of an 'Actual burn in process'
3. Every headphone IEM is different - a small amount I have heard big changes in the sound quality after burn. Most display 'some' small but significant changes and some don't seem to change much at all

Hope that makes sense? o_0 - I don't want to open the debate again - Simply to offer a potential definition to clarify some differences with the term 'burn in'

I'm not saying by any means I am an authority on any of the above. Just my own thoughts

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #43,815 of 101,307
This is not the place to discuss this but there's no hard evidence whatsoever that physical burn in takes place. There's also no logical (or technical) explanation why it would.

People here seem to adore graphs, pretty strange that no graphs show changes after burn in as they're often reported to be "night and day".

For the record, I've got the NX7 used and they've certainly played more than 100 hours in my possession alone and they're still showing sibilance.....

I've got to much respect for this thread to discuss this matter further in here as it most certainly will end with the thread getting closed but I've also got to much integrity to say nothing when people makes statements that's total BS imo. So, I've said what I'm going to say on this matter (until next time :wink:).

The eternal discussion that leads to nowhere xD I'm with you Peter, not the best place and this is a never-ending question, but

This was an statement :grin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back