The discovery thread!
Sep 14, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #43,831 of 99,226
Is the LZ A6 a big upgrade over the LZ A4 and LZ A5?

I've got the A6 in my AE cart, still waiting for it to be cheaper when on sales. It seems there is also a A6 mini version that retails at a fraction of the price. Though it comes with less filters and no gain button and one less driver I think.
I loved the A4 but had comfort issues, but never really cared for the A5's. I felt the treble had a weird tonality and never could get it to sound right for me. Also I felt the A5 had to thin mids for my taste, so I consider the A6 to be the true spirtual successor to the A4. I find the A6 to be correct for my tastes from bass to treble and with very good ergonomics.
I did consider the A6 mini, but felt it was to minimal compared to the A6. The mini is only a dynamic with piezoelectric tweeter. It doesn't have the 4 BA's, or the loud button, an also only has 3 filters instead of 9.

Sep 14, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #43,832 of 99,226
I've been enjoying the LZ A6 since they arrived on Thursday, and a question has been plaguing me ever since. Why the heck aren't these being discussed more???

I sold my AKG N5005 and skipped Andromeda S after buying LZ A6. Yes they are that good. The best for me is the black filter with a bit of foam, that way the treble extension remains amazing, but without the peaks.

Sep 14, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #43,833 of 99,226
I sold my AKG N5005 and skipped Andromeda S after buying LZ A6. Yes they are that good. The best for me is the black filter with a bit of foam, that way the treble extension remains amazing, but without the peaks.
Wow, that's a huge recommendation there and I wholeheartedly agree. I have the Empire Ears Phantom, as well as the Empire Ears LX on review tour right now, and the A6 doesn't kneel before either of those. I'm not saying that they're technically better per say, but they play in the same league for a fifth of the cost. I honestly am grabbing them over those 2 because of how dynamic and musical that they are. They're crazy good!

Sep 14, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #43,834 of 99,226
Wow, that's a huge recommendation there and I wholeheartedly agree. I have the Empire Ears Phantom, as well as the Empire Ears LX on review tour right now, and the A6 doesn't kneel before either of those. I'm not saying that they're technically better per say, but they play in the same league for a fifth of the cost. I honestly am grabbing them over those 2 because of how dynamic and musical that they are. They're crazy good!
Why you make me want to buy it

Sep 15, 2019 at 1:32 AM Post #43,835 of 99,226
I have both the GR-i and the DH3. I like both. Not sure what his problem with the DH3 is, imo it's better than DMG and DMS.

What's your impression of the GR-i? Seems pretty interesting.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000071644144.html
It's selling at $50 USD on AE, and it comes in some psychedelic shell colours LOL. The shell looks like a semi custom type resin, very good looking IEM.

Not many reviews about this IEM so far though.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2019 at 3:07 AM Post #43,836 of 99,226
I've been enjoying the LZ A6 since they arrived on Thursday, and a question has been plaguing me ever since. Why the heck aren't these being discussed more???

Finally! At least there's two of us to praise these from now on.

I'm really happy that you like them :)

It took me seven years and almost 200 pair of IEM's to finally find a pair that matches my preference perfectly. It's a great relief having them and not feeling the need to find something else that does this or that better. I'm still buying IEM's because I'm curious (and stupid, or probably both) but I don't expect any of them to perform better than the A6 for my preference.

Sep 15, 2019 at 3:20 AM Post #43,837 of 99,226

It took me seven years and almost 200 pair of IEM's to finally find a pair that matches my preference perfectly. It's a great relief having them and not feeling the need to find something else that does this or that better. I'm still buying IEM's because I'm curious (and stupid, or probably both) but I don't expect any of them to perform better than the A6 for my preference.

That is some endorsement if it's your endgame set!
The lowest i seen it on sale is about $230ish USD though, i might get it if it drops below 200 usd the coming sales.

Is it easy to drive? And how's the isolation?

Sep 15, 2019 at 3:48 AM Post #43,838 of 99,226

If they are tops your 200 iems and experiences then its a must try iem Peter. I've heard good things about them before but its not really popular that time. How is the layering, staging and imaging on them?

Sep 15, 2019 at 4:23 AM Post #43,839 of 99,226
That is some endorsement if it's your endgame set!
The lowest i seen it on sale is about $230ish USD though, i might get it if it drops below 200 usd the coming sales.

Is it easy to drive? And how's the isolation?

The isolation is fairly good but not as good as the Big Dipper or TSMR-3. This is highly individual depending on ear anatomy though....

It's harder to drive than the TSMR-3 but easier than the NX7 if that helps. In my experience there's very few IEM's that's hard to drive per se. Maybe if one is using a phone, otherwise any DAP or portable amp/dac should be able to drive any pair of IEM's.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2019 at 4:29 AM Post #43,840 of 99,226
If they are tops your 200 iems and experiences then its a must try iem Peter. I've heard good things about them before but its not really popular that time. How is the layering, staging and imaging on them?

Yes and no. The key reason for me being so happy with it is that it ticks all my preference boxes (wide soundstage, excellent subbass, midbass that doesn't overshadow the midrange, great overall bass quality to quantity ratio, energy and sparkle in the upper midrange/treble).

So yeah, they're a great pair of IEM's. Whether or not they're a top dog in a collection will depend on the personal preference of the owner.

Edit:
Layering, staging and imaging are all great on them, not more to say really.

As always with LZ it's not neutral but musical in its presentation. The icing on the cake is the tuning system, changes between the filter groups are definitely more than subtle with the extra possibility for fine tuning within each group.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2019 at 4:35 AM Post #43,841 of 99,226
No sibilance: You. e.g. the dimensions of your ears, age, health of your ear drums, the size and density of your melon, how much wax is in your ear canals. There are many variances, in an analog world.

Phase: Do you mean out of phase or a separation of the drivers ?

Might be a poor analogy, but even in the world of bits and bytes, CPUs from the same batch will have varying tolerances, to their max load.

Or it could be a question of build and quality control and he lucked out by getting a good set?

Sep 15, 2019 at 4:40 AM Post #43,842 of 99,226
Remember, each person hears differently and has different gear matchup, different tips different sound and music preferences etc.
I personally don`t follow peter123 (no discredit to him!) as I hear differently from him and have different preferences etc. ...so I know that when I would buy something based on such bold statement, I would probably be little disappointed what I get (not saying A6 is bad).

Sep 15, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #43,843 of 99,226
What's your impression of the GR-i? Seems pretty interesting.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000071644144.html
It's selling at $50 USD on AE, and it comes in some psychedelic shell colours LOL. The shell looks like a semi custom type resin, very good looking IEM.

Not many reviews about this IEM so far though.
Yes, it's very nicely built and comfortable too. I have the blue version. For a $50 IEM, yeah it is quite good, V-shaped with a reasonably tidy bass and a touch of sharpness in the lower treble.

Sep 15, 2019 at 9:12 AM Post #43,844 of 99,226
Yes, it's very nicely built and comfortable too. I have the blue version. For a $50 IEM, yeah it is quite good, V-shaped with a reasonably tidy bass and a touch of sharpness in the lower treble.

vs ZSX and BL03? and are they have sub bass rolled off? I only see from the graph by HBB but he said that they got best bass vs ZSX v90, but the graph are telling me they the most rolled off sub bass first

Sep 15, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #43,845 of 99,226
HiFi Walker A2 (non microphone version), $22.89 USD
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077ZYP7H9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A fun little project, to scratch my itch, hopefully for at least a month or two. In stock form, they're heavy in the bass (with a good start in the basement), but with a noticeable mid-bass bleed. Unfortunately that's not the top issue, the hiss/sibilance (words with no "S" were hissing at me) is next level.

But the end result (for me) is next tier, compared to the Blon Bl-03. More authoritative low end, with an increase in overall resolution.
Final product: silicone o-rings, Tin HiFi T2, blue tips & microtape = :radioactive:
Walker fin2.jpg

Tape job:
I used 3M, Transpore clear tape
https://www.amazon.com/3M-Transpore..._11?keywords=microtape&qid=1568549855&sr=8-11
@james444 did a crossover, leaving four small corners open; I tried this at 1st, but the upper frequency bands tickled my brain, in a bad way. Through trial and error, I found a +/- 80% cover up to be my sweet spot.
Walker cover up.jpg

Port (red dot):
Unmolested: a touch too thick in the mid-bass
post needle (I used a pin from one of my dress shirts), too much low end lost, mids/vocals are now thin and tinny
Since I bought 30 silicone o-rings, for my Blon BL-03 to gain some shoulders, for my Comply TSX 500 tips, to have a perch. I figured I would give them a shot, to cover the ports. The resulting low end is a 9/10, for me. No remaining perceived mid-bass bleed.
Walker port.jpg
Walker rings.jpg

Thanks to @Otto Motor, for pointing them out
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/drop-jvc-ha-fdx1-dual-carbon-iem-available-in-the-us.912737/page-13#post-15184827

Users who are viewing this thread

Back