The discovery thread!
Sep 12, 2019 at 11:33 PM Post #43,771 of 101,011
The NICEHCK NX7 vs Sennheiser IE40 Pro ($75.00 vs $99.00). (7 speakers per side vs ONE wide band dynamic driver). Both have the exact same tips and tip size (XL JVC Spiral Dots).

DAP : Sony NW-A45. ALL FLAC.
AMP : Fiio Mont Blanc IEM (High Gain, Bass Boost ON).
Cable : NX7 (KZ oxygen free 4core copper 2 pin cable), IE40 (Proprietary cable).

Songs :
Led Zeppelin - All My Love
Rush - Subdivisions
Mungo Jerry - In The Summertime
The Who - Eminence Front
Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe - Themes
Santana - Oye Como Va
Def Leppard - Lady Strange
Iron Maiden - The Clairvoyant
Sparklehorse and Danger Mouse (feat Flaming Lips) - Revenge
A Taste Of Honey - Boogie Oogie Oogie
Parliament - Flashlight
The Temper Trap - Sweet Disposition
Amorphis - The Orphan
Death - Spirit Crusher
Cradle of Filth - Nymphetamine

This was a lot closer than I thought it would be. I had to listen and re-listen to songs over and over again to really get the difference in nuance between these two earphones. The highs wre so close to being equal. Refinement went to the IE40 while the extension might go to the NX7. The NX7 is a bit splashier, with the IE40 winning the realism tone, but really, it's a toss up. The IE40 wins because there's no grain,while i will admit, there can be moments of graininess with the NX7. The mids are more forward with the IE40. Male voices and female voices are clearer, have less sibilance, and are just a bit less recessed. Guitar tones have a bit more bite, and the notes have more weight, espcially in the lower mids and upper bass region. In other words, the IE40 takes advantage of the fact they don't have the thin notation that is inherent to the tuning of the NX7. But let me tell you, this is really the bulls horns when it comes to mids between the two, and a little EQ and amp can close the gap even more. The bass is pretty much a toss up. The IE40 bass has slightly higher resolution, so you can hear the bass tones and finger plucks with a bit more detail than the NX7, while the NX7 provides just a bit more punch when amped. Still, it's pretty much even in terms of bass quality and quantity between the two.

Fit goes to the NX7. These things are so light and comfy for a 7 driver earphone. The problem with the IE40 is that the sound nozzles are short. This means that despite the very compact and custom style shape, you need tips with long stems and body to get a preferred seal. Had Sennheiser provided a slightly longer nozzle, then they'd probably be more comfy. but since they don't, the win goes to the NX7.

So in the end, for all the sweet spot sound that the IE40 provides, due to the better fit and the close as a hair sound signature, I'm gonna use the NX7 for my on the go every day listening. I'll leave the IE40's for home listening and when I feel like entertaining the sweet Sennheiser sound (that way I can leave my occasional home critical listening to my IE800). I don't hear nor have any issues with the highs of the NX7. Copper cable, Spiral Dots, and warm DAP, and there is no peakiness or grating highs for me. That just doesn't play into my pair. can there be grain with thinness in the notes? YEP! It's there, but again, with some EQ and some OLD ASS EARS, I'm very happy with the NX7's abilities and detail retrieval, which has made listening to my collection fun again.

Just a bit of advise : The NX7 aren't the best for heavy metal or extreme metal. I think the thin note presentation and grain can take away from the listening experience, but for classic rock, pop, jazz, and
even some hard rock, they really shine. Hip hop can be hit or miss, but usually a nice hit depending on the mastering quality.

The winner in sound capability? The Sennheiser IE40. The winner in value and every day use? NX7. So take it all with a grain of salt, but if you can get the NX7 for $65 or less? You just can't go wrong.

P.S. Abolutely no issues with the NX7 out of my iphone 7 direct with the dongle. No static. No interference. No nothing but excellent sound. So I have no idea why others were having this type of issue?

Thanks for reading.

IMG_3149.jpg

Sep 13, 2019 at 12:33 AM Post #43,772 of 101,011
The NICEHCK NX7 vs Sennheiser IE40 Pro ($75.00 vs $99.00). (7 speakers per side vs ONE wide band dynamic driver). Both have the exact same tips and tip size (XL JVC Spiral Dots).

DAP : Sony NW-A45. ALL FLAC.
AMP : Fiio Mont Blanc IEM (High Gain, Bass Boost ON).
Cable : NX7 (KZ oxygen free 4core copper 2 pin cable), IE40 (Proprietary cable).

Songs :
Led Zeppelin - All My Love
Rush - Subdivisions
Mungo Jerry - In The Summertime
The Who - Eminence Front
Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe - Themes
Santana - Oye Como Va
Def Leppard - Lady Strange
Iron Maiden - The Clairvoyant
Sparklehorse and Danger Mouse (feat Flaming Lips) - Revenge
A Taste Of Honey - Boogie Oogie Oogie
Parliament - Flashlight
The Temper Trap - Sweet Disposition
Amorphis - The Orphan
Death - Spirit Crusher
Cradle of Filth - Nymphetamine

This was a lot closer than I thought it would be. I had to listen and re-listen to songs over and over again to really get the difference in nuance between these two earphones. The highs wre so close to being equal. Refinement went to the IE40 while the extension might go to the NX7. The NX7 is a bit splashier, with the IE40 winning the realism tone, but really, it's a toss up. The IE40 wins because there's no grain,while i will admit, there can be moments of graininess with the NX7. The mids are more forward with the IE40. Male voices and female voices are clearer, have less sibilance, and are just a bit less recessed. Guitar tones have a bit more bite, and the notes have more weight, espcially in the lower mids and upper bass region. In other words, the IE40 takes advantage of the fact they don't have the thin notation that is inherent to the tuning of the NX7. But let me tell you, this is really the bulls horns when it comes to mids between the two, and a little EQ and amp can close the gap even more. The bass is pretty much a toss up. The IE40 bass has slightly higher resolution, so you can hear the bass tones and finger plucks with a bit more detail than the NX7, while the NX7 provides just a bit more punch when amped. Still, it's pretty much even in terms of bass quality and quantity between the two.

Fit goes to the NX7. These things are so light and comfy for a 7 driver earphone. The problem with the IE40 is that the sound nozzles are short. This means that despite the very compact and custom style shape, you need tips with long stems and body to get a preferred seal. Had Sennheiser provided a slightly longer nozzle, then they'd probably be more comfy. but since they don't, the win goes to the NX7.

So in the end, for all the sweet spot sound that the IE40 provides, due to the better fit and the close as a hair sound signature, I'm gonna use the NX7 for my on the go every day listening. I'll leave the IE40's for home listening and when I feel like entertaining the sweet Sennheiser sound (that way I can leave my occasional home critical listening to my IE800). I don't hear nor have any issues with the highs of the NX7. Copper cable, Spiral Dots, and warm DAP, and there is no peakiness or grating highs for me. That just doesn't play into my pair. can there be grain with thinness in the notes? YEP! It's there, but again, with some EQ and some OLD ASS EARS, I'm very happy with the NX7's abilities and detail retrieval, which has made listening to my collection fun again.

Just a bit of advise : The NX7 aren't the best for heavy metal or extreme metal. I think the thin note presentation and grain can take away from the listening experience, but for classic rock, pop, jazz, and
even some hard rock, they really shine. Hip hop can be hit or miss, but usually a nice hit depending on the mastering quality.

The winner in sound capability? The Sennheiser IE40. The winner in value and every day use? NX7. So take it all with a grain of salt, but if you can get the NX7 for $65 or less? You just can't go wrong.

P.S. Abolutely no issues with the NX7 out of my iphone 7 direct with the dongle. No static. No interference. No nothing but excellent sound. So I have no idea why others were having this type of issue?

Thanks for reading.

Very nice comparison...Thanks for that! While I don't own the Senns, I do agree that the NX7 is a fantastic sounding iem. This set is extremely EQ-able, so there's no problem dialing in the sound to one's personal taste. Speaking of taste...love much of your song list, and I'm gonna have to get a few that I don't already have. Specifically, The Who- Eminance Front, Taste of Honey- Boogie, Oogie, Oogie , Parliament- Flashlight and Iron Maiden- The Clairvoyant. My own list of recent favs on the NX7? Anything from Black Sabbath (especially with Dio), Krokus, Rhianna (her older stuff), Gloria Estevan, Janet Jackson, Shaggy, and Frankie Goes To Hollywood. No matter what I spin on this set, with a touch of EQ, I can make it all sound great!

Sep 13, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #43,773 of 101,011
Been listening to the KBear Hi7 since last night. Not bad earphone but not great either. Thus far it does sound like numerous BAs in the design. But lacks musicality due to the bass being average at best. A more clinical side of sound vs musical. This is mostly out of the box listening so we will see. I dont expect the sound to change much.

I got used to that carbon nanotube bass on the NX7 and while the Hi7 bass is there it lacks the texture and sub bass is not as good as the NX7. Bass sounds very average and lacks some impact and presence and speed not as good here. The mids sound good on the Ni7 but a bit on the thin/ dry side. Stage is average here as well. I dont see how these are an upgrade on the NX7. Sound balancing is similar to the NX7 but actually lacks in a few things vs the cheaper NX7 espcially in the bass area.

I haven't touched the stock tips or cables and went for one of my balanced cables. If the NX7 didnt exist I am sure these would garner more favor but it is essentially NX7 tuning in a different housing with added BAs taking over the Piezoelectric upper highs. Not bad for the price but since the NX7 came before these. Nothing new here either. I do like the build on them but again nothing special here. I will post more about them as they get the treatment but for now they are just OK.

Sep 13, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #43,775 of 101,011
First post. Just ordered the KZ ZSX hoping it's an upgrade from the Tin T2 (which I love) :)
Has anyone already done an A/B comparison?

PS. Thank god for Chi-Fi, nobody should be forced to spend thousands of dollars for great audio
I compared them in my ZSX review. Long story short, the ZSX is brighter and has more clarity and detail. The T2 has a smoother, more linear presentation and more natural tone.

Sep 13, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #43,776 of 101,011
Kanas Pro with their thin mids...
I really don`t get it :S

Did you get the Blon BL-03? My current flavour are the Blon and the "endgame" single DD Drop + JVC HA-FDX1...the latter are incredible in their realism (the former are great, too). Less than 100 left on drop.com.
I gave up and ordered BLON BL03... never had CNT drivers in my ears before and curiosity+hype did it...

Sep 13, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #43,777 of 101,011
imagine the hype we all had when the FX40s came from JVC back in the day with CNT drivers. :p man those were fun times

Sep 13, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #43,778 of 101,011
I just bought Echobox Finder X1s off Amazon for a little under $25. Hoping it will be a great value at that price.

Sep 13, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #43,779 of 101,011
Finder X1s for that price is decent. They are more neutrally tuned. Colder than warm in tonality. Lacks body and fullness of sound. Good amount of definition. They would be solid beaters for the price but considering all the advancements in sound now a days at even the $25 price point. Finder X1s aren't gonna wow anybody. That is unless you like your sound reference thin and analytical. They will most certainly be better built than any $25 phone that is for certain.

Sep 13, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #43,780 of 101,011
Been listening to the KBear Hi7 since last night. Not bad earphone but not great either. Thus far it does sound like numerous BAs in the design. But lacks musicality due to the bass being average at best. A more clinical side of sound vs musical. This is mostly out of the box listening so we will see. I dont expect the sound to change much.

I got used to that carbon nanotube bass on the NX7 and while the Hi7 bass is there it lacks the texture and sub bass is not as good as the NX7. Bass sounds very average and lacks some impact and presence and speed not as good here. The mids sound good on the Ni7 but a bit on the thin/ dry side. Stage is average here as well. I dont see how these are an upgrade on the NX7. Sound balancing is similar to the NX7 but actually lacks in a few things vs the cheaper NX7 espcially in the bass area.

I haven't touched the stock tips or cables and went for one of my balanced cables. If the NX7 didnt exist I am sure these would garner more favor but it is essentially NX7 tuning in a different housing with added BAs taking over the Piezoelectric upper highs. Not bad for the price but since the NX7 came before these. Nothing new here either. I do like the build on them but again nothing special here. I will post more about them as they get the treatment but for now they are just OK.

Thank you so much for this honest impressions about Hi7. They were on my curiousity list but i was scrap them because that many vents turned out to be fake vents. And your honest impressions tell me that they are just a good iem, but nothing special and for me as bass lover (not quantity but quality) definitely is a no go. Save me quite a lot bucks.

Sep 13, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #43,781 of 101,011
Finder X1s for that price is decent. They are more neutrally tuned. Colder than warm in tonality. Lacks body and fullness of sound. Good amount of definition. They would be solid beaters for the price but considering all the advancements in sound now a days at even the $25 price point. Finder X1s aren't gonna wow anybody. That is unless you like your sound reference thin and analytical. They will most certainly be better built than any $25 phone that is for certain.
Well DS, I do believe this is the first time you have ever SAVED me money. Order canceled.

Sep 13, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #43,783 of 101,011
Sep 13, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #43,784 of 101,011
For some reason, these are calling my name...

Cupid.jpg

Sep 13, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #43,785 of 101,011
Thank you so much for this honest impressions about Hi7. They were on my curiousity list but i was scrap them because that many vents turned out to be fake vents. And your honest impressions tell me that they are just a good iem, but nothing special and for me as bass lover (not quantity but quality) definitely is a no go. Save me quite a lot bucks.

Bass is not terrible but it don't do anything special in the bass region either. Quantitiy is ok but qualitly is lacking thus far. I am in the process of burning in. The overall sound is not a bad sound. It has really good detail and imagery is good as well. Seems like it is making good use of the BAs but I wish they included a nice higher end dynamic for the bass end. This is unfortunatley where they might have cut corners to get the pricing to around $100. I will post some more observations as I get used to their sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back