The discovery thread!
Sep 6, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #43,653 of 100,564
A few photos of the fabulous JVC HA-FDX1 on the grey blog.

LZt875um.jpg
I've seen these on Drop, but price is more than I can afford right now. Question though: can the cable be worn over ear, or is this purely a cable down design?

Sep 6, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #43,654 of 100,564
I've seen these on Drop, but price is more than I can afford right now. Question though: can the cable be worn over ear, or is this purely a cable down design?

Apparently its nozzle can rotate 360 degrees so it can be worn over the ear or straight down.
But I guess over ear will probably lessen microphonics (if any).

Sep 6, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #43,655 of 100,564
DLC and Carbon nanotube drivers can take a ton of bass EQ, if it is not enough you can bump up the bass and they will take it without problems
Totally agree. I bump up both sets sometimes (especially with certain older rock and heavy metal/hair metal tracks). Really enjoy both sets for all the other stuff they do well too.

Sep 6, 2019 at 11:43 PM Post #43,656 of 100,564
Apparently its nozzle can rotate 360 degrees so it can be worn over the ear or straight down.
But I guess over ear will probably lessen microphonics (if any).
Thanks...good to know. Yes, it might lessen microphonics but I'm more concerned about snagging the cable on the teeth of a jacket zipper or a shirt collar, and having the units pulled out of my ears when turning my head. I like wearing my iems this way. Cable over ears helps keep my iems firmly in place.

Sep 6, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #43,657 of 100,564
As long as you reverse the channels you can wear any earphone of this kind over ear...compare to Tinaudio T2.

Sep 7, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #43,658 of 100,564
The only earphones I've got, that just won't fit comfortably, when trying to wear them over-the-ear, are my HiFi BCD X10.
If the cable came out of the housing at more of a 90° angle, I would wear them over-the-ear.
New-hifi-X10-Beryllium-Dynamic-Driver-Unit-3-5mm-In-Ear-Earphone-HIFI-DJ-Metal-Earphone.jpg

Sep 7, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #43,659 of 100,564
The only earphones I've got, that just won't fit comfortably, when trying to wear them over-the-ear, are my HiFi BCD X10.
If the cable came out of the housing at more of a 90° angle, I would wear them over-the-ear.
New-hifi-X10-Beryllium-Dynamic-Driver-Unit-3-5mm-In-Ear-Earphone-HIFI-DJ-Metal-Earphone.jpg
LOL I see they still kept the "X10" that Klipsch uses

Sep 7, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #43,660 of 100,564
Sep 7, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #43,661 of 100,564
while not as extreme, it's a problem I've had on etymotic IEMs. they also have a more than 90° angle that can save the day when worn down and inserted very deep, but is just plain annoying when we try to pass the cable securely over the ear. I've tried many fixes, and I've settled on a combo like this:
10132297.jpg

cutting a piece of what would be the black part on your IEM is obviously destructive so you will probably want to leave that as a last resort. start with just bending the wire and fixing it on the shell with small rubber band, or anything you can find to do the job. for a test, unlike me you will want to make a large loop with your cable so that you don't pinch/crush any part in a definitive manner.

Sep 7, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #43,663 of 100,564
while not as extreme, it's a problem I've had on etymotic IEMs. they also have a more than 90° angle that can save the day when worn down and inserted very deep, but is just plain annoying when we try to pass the cable securely over the ear. I've tried many fixes, and I've settled on a combo like this:
10132297.jpg

cutting a piece of what would be the black part on your IEM is obviously destructive so you will probably want to leave that as a last resort. start with just bending the wire and fixing it on the shell with small rubber band, or anything you can find to do the job. for a test, unlike me you will want to make a large loop with your cable so that you don't pinch/crush any part in a definitive manner.

Thanks for the suggestion!

One thing I was considering, is to order a second set of the BCD X10, and then find out if anyone can provide info on successfully disassembling the earphones, so that I could rewire one set as Balanced (without a Mic). :ksc75smile:

Sep 7, 2019 at 10:39 PM Post #43,664 of 100,564
So after almost a month, the NX7 finally arrived. They reached the mainland rather quickly, then got stuck in limbo for weeks. After all the back and forth about "are they good or not", I was rather worried. I shouldn't have been. I've never been let down by @Dsnuts , @Otto Motor , and @DannyBai (with the MD Crescent). The NX7 are not peaky, grating, or out of phase (I played The Who's - Eminence Front, one of the best songs to test if the crossovers are working well). I've tried the stock cable and my Triton audio cable, and both sounded very good. The Triton cable, unlike with the MKP, fit really snug, and provided a more airy sound, but the bass was just a bit lighter, while the stock cable gave the bass a tighter sound. The highs are very similar to the Senn IE40's. Very extended, sparkly, and maybe a tad artificial, but I like it. The sound of the NX7 is very similar to the IE40. I swapped between the two, I was surprised how close they are. NX7 wins in detail retrieval by a touch while the IE40 wins easily in soundstage. It's wide and tall, while the stage of the NX7 is more in line with the Crescents or the UE700. The JVC FW01 are also wider, but they can hang with all my earphones in separation, detail, and positioning. Mids are really nice and balanced with the highs and bass. I don't perceive any sibilance, and the mids come in with razor sharp focus and guitars have nice attack. Bass is a bit lacking at the moment, but I suspect with some burn in, the CNT bass should shape up and present itself with a bit more clarity and punch. The timbre is also rival with both the Senn's, Ultimate Ears, and JVC's. Where I think others got it right is that the note weight is thin. That's where the JVC win out in timbre. Same with the Sennheiser's. The note presentation is a bit thin and so is the weight, so piano plinks, though very resolving, lack the weight in resonance and presentation that would make these giant killers. It's the thin notes and average soundstage that keep these from truly being giant killers, but oh did Jim and NiceHck come really close. REALLY CLOSE. I'm really happy with my purchase, i'm stoked I listened to DS and Otto, and i'll be burning these in for awhile, then they'll become my every day on the go listening devices.

Oh..btw...these things are so light! Very comfy in the ears. No itch or heat. Oh and JVC Spiral dots are perfect tips for these. CHEERS!!

IMG_3129.jpg IMG_3130.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #43,665 of 100,564
So after almost a month, the NX7 finally arrived. They reached the mainland rather quickly, then got stuck in limbo for weeks. After all the back and forth about "are they good or not", I was rather worried. I shouldn't have been. I've never been let down by @Dsnuts , @Otto Motor , and @DannyBai (with the MD Crescent). The NX7 are not peaky, grating, or out of phase (I played The Who's - Eminence Front, one of the best songs to test if the crossovers are working well). I've tried the stock cable and my Triton audio cable, and both sounded very good. The Triton cable, unlike with the MKP, fit really snug, and provided a more airy sound, but the bass was just a bit lighter, while the stock cable gave the bass a tighter sound. The highs are very similar to the Senn IE40's. Very extended, sparkly, and maybe a tad artificial, but I like it. The sound of the NX7 is very similar to the IE40. I swapped between the two, I was surprised how close they are. NX7 wins in detail retrieval by a touch while the IE40 wins easily in soundstage. It's wide and tall, while the stage of the NX7 is more in line with the Crescents or the UE700. The JVC FW01 are also wider, but they can hang with all my earphones in separation, detail, and positioning. Mids are really nice and balanced with the highs and bass. I don't perceive any sibilance, and the mids come in with razor sharp focus and guitars have nice attack. Bass is a bit lacking at the moment, but I suspect with some burn in, the CNT bass should shape up and present itself with a bit more clarity and punch. The timbre is also rival with both the Senn's, Ultimate Ears, and JVC's. Where I think others got it right is that the note weight is thin. That's where the JVC win out in timbre. Same with the Sennheiser's. The note presentation is a bit thin and so is the weight, so piano plinks, though very resolving, lack the weight in resonance and presentation that would make these giant killers. It's the thin notes and average soundstage that keep these from truly being giant killers, but oh did Jim and NiceHck come really close. REALLY CLOSE. I'm really happy with my purchase, i'm stoked I listened to DS and Otto, and i'll be burning these in for awhile, then they'll become my every day on the go listening devices.

Oh..btw...these things are so light! Very comfy in the ears. No itch or heat. Oh and JVC Spiral dots are perfect tips for these. CHEERS!!

Hey, don't forget, I did some tinkering with the treble: https://www.audioreviews.org/nicehck-nx7-review-jk/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back