The discovery thread!
Jul 25, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #42,991 of 100,061
Nope. I asked ibasso via facebook messenger and the response was that the DAC is located in the large housing........

mmm... Then there's something that still misses me. I have at least one USB DAC at home (I'm out for work until tomorrow) and the cable is typical digital USB (from conector to main body).

In the case of DC01, the cable is clearly analogical, so I'm more confused now.
Anyway, thanks for asking that to iBasso :thumbsup:

Jul 25, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #42,992 of 100,061

I asked ibasso via facebook messenger and the response was that the DAC is located in the large housing........
Very strange. Could have sworn I saw it was in the USB C side, like all other USB DACs of this nature

Jul 25, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #42,993 of 100,061
mmm... Then there's something that still misses me. I have at least one USB DAC at home (I'm out for work until tomorrow) and the cable is typical digital USB (from conector to main body).

In the case of DC01, the cable is clearly analogical, so I'm more confused now.
Anyway, thanks for asking that to iBasso :thumbsup:
the look of the cable doesn't screen digital line. I agree with you on that and TBH I thought it was a DIY "elite audiophile" wiring when I first saw the picture. but if you have like 5 separated wires(4 could probably work but I'm not sure about compatibility), then you have the paths for a basic USB connection including the 5V DC to power the all thing. the rest is a matter of standards(impedance, shielding, etc).
I have no idea where the DAC chip is, but I don't see anything on that picture that seems to clearly forbid a USB connection if the DAC chip was in the USB plug.

Jul 25, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #42,994 of 100,061
the look of the cable doesn't screen digital line. I agree with you on that and TBH I thought it was a DIY "elite audiophile" wiring when I first saw the picture. but if you have like 5 separated wires(4 could probably work but I'm not sure about compatibility), then you have the paths for a basic USB connection including the 5V DC to power the all thing. the rest is a matter of standards(impedance, shielding, etc).
I have no idea where the DAC chip is, but I don't see anything on that picture that seems to clearly forbid a USB connection if the DAC chip was in the USB plug.

Yes, maybe that cable carries out digital signal, but digital signal is not altered in the same ways than analogical (you know it much better than me). Don't know, but mixed copper cable to transmit ones and zeros makes no sense for me at all.

Anyway, my little USB DAC (can't remember the model number, but tomorrow I can check it) does not seem to have the DAC chip in the USB connector, but in the main body. That is what caught my attention first and I'm surprised that the "standard" is to find in the USB connector. Every day is an opportunity to learn new things.

Jul 25, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #42,995 of 100,061
They do seem tempting, but for the same price the E1000 can also be had from Amazon.ca. Any thoughts on which is the "better" of the two? (personally, I'm leaning towards the e1000 just because the Crescents also come with 2 month shipping)

I own both. E1k is more warm and a bit more congested to my ears, less natural overall (don't get me wrong, still sounds good!). Sub-bass extension slightly better on Crescents. Crescents significantly heavier, metal instead of plastic so that's obvious. The final audio tips are amazing though and funny enough I use them on the Crescents. FWIW, amazon in the US had both as Prime 2-day shipping.

Jul 25, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #42,996 of 100,061
Anybody have more experience with the TRN IM2, not many impressions and only $30 on Amazon (w/ Prime)

Jul 25, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #42,998 of 100,061
Intime Sora ti3 people , coming out in about two weeks

But you know why they won't be that popular on Head-fi? Fixed cable. I don't mind it but few buy over $150 stuff with fixed cabling these days.

Jul 25, 2019 at 7:59 PM Post #43,000 of 100,061
For those of you who like Silver, or Silver plated Copper cables - Which manufacturer or brand / model name of the bulk wire would you recommend, for someone assembling their own cables?

Jul 25, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #43,001 of 100,061
Anybody have more experience with the TRN IM2, not many impressions and only $30 on Amazon (w/ Prime)
It's decent for a budgo IEM. Has a treble spike similar to the V80. Amazing build quality tho.

Jul 25, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #43,002 of 100,061
These Crescents have become my favorite "on the go" earphones in my arsenal. I personally enjoy the sound much more than the MKP, as the treble response is much clearer and extended. These are the best under $50.00 earphones i've heard, and that is not hype or hyperbole, it's a fact that my ears have heard countless under $50 phones, and these simply deliver in resolution, timbre, separation, bass, nice meaty mids, and enough treble where drums come through nicely and details don't get lost or brushed aside. Are they the widest sound stage? Nope, but you know, it's wide enough where i'm not thinking to myself that i'm missing out on stage. Are they the most pin point accurate in terms of imaging? Nope, but again, while listening to hard rock and metal, I'm getting the type of listening response I want out of that type of music, while noticing nothing truly out of place. A $30, they hang quite nicely with my more expensive earphones, including the MKP, JVC FW01, UE700, and T3's. All way more expensive than these single dynamics. Makes me wonder why they sell so cheaply, when the other Moondrops are triple and quadruple and in some cases $250 more than these. They are just so very musical and yet leave nothing technically to miss. Especially in hard rock, metal, and hip hop. I don't see myself putting these down as my on the go, gym, and work earphones, though I am buying a pair of NX7's by recommendation of @Dsnuts. Maybe they'll replace them, but as for now, the Crescents are some of the most amazing under the radar earphones in all of audiophiledom. Oh and the fit is so clean and snug in my wonkyfide ears. The small brass pills insert nicely, and i'm using the JVC GEL spiral dots that came with my FW01's. They are a great pairing. Comfort and light weight, and yet pretty darn beautiful brass.

The new kings of under $50? To my ears, the answer is yes. Moondrop really tuned a fine fine earphone for long listens and max comfort.

IMG_2918.jpg

Jul 25, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #43,003 of 100,061
Your observation is very correct. I bought that cable for my Zeus which for some odd reason did not mesh well with the sonic qualitites for them so I have one of my pure silver cables on the Zeus but ended up using that copper cable on the F3. Great match on the F3..
Just for sh**s and giggles, I'm prolly gonna try the C16 on my NX7, when I finally get them. But, i did end up buying both the SPC cable you recd, as well as it's full copper brother. I'll try all 3, and then see which I like more. I totally love the C16 on my Moondrop KPE, though. I can see how this would work well with the F3, from how you describe it's sonic signature.

Jul 26, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #43,005 of 100,061
A bit of an observation on the NX7. I usually listen to earphones at moderate volumes. I try not to egg on any early hearing loss. However not too many earphones I own that I can listen to at low volume levels without loosing any detail. The NX7 has such outstanding detail it is easy to hear even in low volume listening. Fantastic for low volume listening actually. I do like that these are not as sensitive like my higher end earphones. Should sound great on just about anything you guys are using as a source. Fantastic in balanced. Not as picky as high sensitive earphones.

Next week should be interesting. Some of the eary buyers should get theirs by next week I am thinking. Give them a good work out and take your time with them. Optimize the sound using your best tips and cables and have a good time with this one. I am most definitely looking forward to see what you guys have to say about these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back