The discovery thread!
Nov 16, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #39,586 of 101,029
Changing the cable and 40 hours of burn-in have tammed the Magaosi K5 a smidge, though it may be just too mid-centric for my liking? There is also a small spike in the midrange; just a really small frequency response which seems unnatural and out of place? At $199 it’s not the end of the world. This is the price I pay for taking risks. Hopefully another 360 hours of burn-in will help?

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018 at 12:33 AM Post #39,587 of 101,029
Amazingly the DM6 is starting to show some improvement after some burn-in, though I’m going for 200 hours total in the end. The best way to describe it would be smoothing out and frequency polish around the edges. They are becoming more cohesive, coherent and the bass has possibly recessed ever so slighly while maturing. I not a total burn-in believer as I have thought an IEM was burned-in and changed, then purchased a second brand-new pair only to find it sounded exactly like the burned-in pair. So I don’t know what’s going on here, but in the ends it’s all good.

same experience as mine, now it is more different than my DMG than before

Nov 17, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #39,589 of 101,029
Yeah the seller didn't have a FR. Usually I've asked for other FR and they ask the manufacturer for it.
Thats the standard practice as far i am aware! sellers should and must provide FR graph when asked IMO.

Nov 17, 2018 at 1:15 AM Post #39,590 of 101,029
Changing the cable and 40 hours of burn-in have tammed the Magaosi K5 a smidge, though it may be just too mid-centric for my liking? There is also a small spike in the midrange; just a really small frequency response which seems unnatural and out of place? At $199 it’s not the end of the world. This is the price I pay for taking risks. Hopefully another 360 hours of burn-in will help?
You can't be serious...

Nov 17, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #39,592 of 101,029
Hopefully another 360 hours of burn-in will help?

i doubt there's going to be big changes especially in all BA drivers, but if you want to and you got the time, i say go for it, there's no harm in doing it

Nov 17, 2018 at 4:17 AM Post #39,593 of 101,029
same experience as mine, now it is more different than my DMG than before

So........... the signature became smooth, after burn-in? See.......and I find that strange that many think the DMG and DM6 sound the same at the start. But..........when in the shop and listening I’m not sure I even knew the two were from the same company? Also I didn’t like the finish on the DMG. Though it has filters right, so maybe set up with a particular filter the two sound the same?

You can't be serious...

400 hours =
16.667 days

Woo Audio recommends 150 hours too on tube amps, you get no instruction manual just a sheet of paper with that written on it. Lol

Only if combined with praying.

Years and years ago everyone burned their AKG 701s for 300 hours.

i doubt there's going to be big changes especially in all BA drivers, but if you want to and you got the time, i say go for it, there's no harm in doing it

Well, I don’t like the K5, so I’m not going to be listening to them anyway. Lol

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018 at 5:05 AM Post #39,595 of 101,029
I would be the first to guess my thoughts on the midrange could be my individual hearing.

Also too, this hobby can be strange, as pre-listening bias can occur as if you start to hear what you have been told to hear.

Hopefully another 360 hours of burn-in will help?

dice.jpg

Nov 17, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #39,596 of 101,029
So........... the signature became smooth, after burn-in? See.......and I find that strange that many think the DMG and DM6 sound the same at the start. But..........when in the shop and listening I’m not sure I even knew the two were from the same company? Also I didn’t like the finish on the DMG. Though it has filters right, so maybe set up with a particular filter the two sound the same?

400 hours =
16.667 days

Woo Audio recommends 150 hours too on tube amps, you get no instruction manual just a sheet of paper with that written on it. Lol

Years and years ago everyone burned their AKG 701s for 300 hours.

Well, I don’t like the K5, so I’m not going to be listening to them anyway. Lol

no, even with the filters, the DMG won't sound like the DM6, they really have a different sound signature, I think many would think the DMG and DM6 would sound the same because both have a nice quality to their lows/highs

Nov 17, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #39,597 of 101,029

I've had the K5 about as long as anyone (bought mine during the pre-sale) and it hasnt changed signature in the time I've had them. I used them for daily drivers for several months so I know they have over 1000 hours on them now.

Nov 17, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #39,598 of 101,029
I've had the K5 about as long as anyone (bought mine during the pre-sale) and it hasnt changed signature in the time I've had them. I used them for daily drivers for several months so I know they have over 1000 hours on them now.

You hear that, everyone?. You have to burn them in for more than 1000 hours!

lol

Nov 17, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #39,599 of 101,029

Glad you enjoy them!

Nov 17, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #39,600 of 101,029
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back