The discovery thread!
Oct 16, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #38,416 of 103,554
I wonder if there is something like the poor man's Andro.....

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #38,417 of 103,554
Andros have 2 different tunings. Well dependant on color but I read reports of slight sound tweeks with each color. The standard green one has the widest stage. Sparkly clear treble and a enthusiastic bass end. ( Cheapmans Andro= ATH-CKR9) Both earphones use Aluminum housing.

The new S version has more distinction and precision in the mids with slighly less coloration percievable in the treble. More accurate imo and has just as much bass as the stock andros. The metal housing adds to the more cleaner black background of the S version with a new mids driver. ( Cheapmans Andro S= ATH-CKR10) Both use a hard steel metal for housing similar here as well.

I havent heard the CKR90s or CKR100s but I would imagine both of these are more refined over the previous CKR series. Even though Andros use 5 high end BAs and the CKRs use dual dynamics. Tuning is what is similar. Andros take this sound sig to a whole different level however.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #38,418 of 103,554

depends on how poor you are and your definition of "Andromeda" is

there's always the green PHB EM-023 (KZ ZS6 green is super rare now, I think?) :beyersmile:

recently decided to peek on the LZ Big Dipper thread, and brooko shared 2 IEMs that kinda matched Andro's FR, the Alclair Curve and Earsonics ES3. Definitely cheaper

10176182.png

Oct 16, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #38,419 of 103,554

Yes, you might consider the CA Orion. It has been referred to as the baby Andromeda. A very non-fatiguing and neutral SQ with gorgeous mids. Very often overlooked in the CA collection and, IMO, underestimated.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #38,420 of 103,554
This is a long shot but did anyone compared the DM6 to the CA andros? Any inputs? I know they are in there own leagues, but just want to know how they are compared..

As a long time Andro owner, I have always been looking for something that could step up to the plate and swing somewhere in the ballpark for a lot less money. That search has been fairly fruitless......that is until the DM6 in balanced! Very impressive! I need to do some more analytical listening but on first go I was slackjawed at the incredible performance of this for the price.......just ridiculous!

Oct 16, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #38,421 of 103,554
As a long time Andro owner, I have always been looking for something that could step up to the plate and swing somewhere in the ballpark for a lot less money. That search has been fairly fruitless......that is until the DM6 in balanced! Very impressive! I need to do some more analytical listening but on first go I was slackjawed at the incredible performance of this for the price.......just ridiculous!
This set definitely benefits from a balanced source I have found as well.

Oct 16, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #38,422 of 103,554
Now i start that utterly useless exercise

Dm6 in hig regard of Andromeda's onwer + other guy like tenhz p4 equaly to dm6 = TEHNZ P4 CAN BE COMPARED TO 1100$ ANDROMEDA'S

Of course I am joking, but yes, we know we all do that mental exercise of comparing A with B that seems like C that is better than D that as a better cxb tham E and so on lol. No need to say that this is useless

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #38,423 of 103,554

Will wait for your final thoughts on this.. i havent heard the dm6 but they are in my ali cart.. i heard the andros and they are on a supreme league. And because of it, i was curious how the two compare.. is it $800 worth it in terms of sound quality. Hope to hear more comparison on this two..

Oct 16, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #38,424 of 103,554
Yes, you might consider the CA Orion. It has been referred to as the baby Andromeda. A very non-fatiguing and neutral SQ with gorgeous mids. Very often overlooked in the CA collection and, IMO, underestimated.

I’d actually say the Campfire Comets is more of the baby Andromeda. Basically a lesser version with same bass texture, a smaller soundstage and overall tonality.

Orion is kind of its own thing (even compared with other IEMs). It’s definitely underestimated and provides a pleasant, easy going, detailed and non-fatiguing listen. It’s also pretty light and comfortable. Coherence is easy with a one driver configuration. I really like mine.

Oct 16, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #38,425 of 103,554
depends on how poor you are and your definition of "Andromeda" is

there's always the green PHB EM-023 (KZ ZS6 green is super rare now, I think?) :beyersmile:

recently decided to peek on the LZ Big Dipper thread, and brooko shared 2 IEMs that kinda matched Andro's FR, the Alclair Curve and Earsonics ES3. Definitely cheaper

10176182.png

All three are nothing alike, I wouldn't even use the word "kinda" in this situation. They all have completely different FR.

Oct 17, 2018 at 3:24 AM Post #38,426 of 103,554
All three are nothing alike, I wouldn't even use the word "kinda" in this situation. They all have completely different FR.

glad for you to chime in. So in your opinion, what would be the "poor man's Andro", if there is such a thing?

Disclaimer: "kinda" is used loosely here, of course. I thought it was simply relevant since I was searching on info whether the LZ BD is still a worthy buy now or rather just get the Andro from a possible future sale (or maybe something entirely different altogether). Coincidentally the Andro was also being discussed there, thought I would share the tidbit for people to discuss. I am in no way suggesting that I personally have listened to all 3 side-by-side to to claim that they are similar, only sharing info from the other thread.

Oct 17, 2018 at 3:39 AM Post #38,427 of 103,554
glad for you to chime in. So in your opinion, what would be the "poor man's Andro", if there is such a thing?

Disclaimer: "kinda" is used loosely here, of course. I thought it was simply relevant since I was searching on info whether the LZ BD is still a worthy buy now or rather just get the Andro from a possible future sale (or maybe something entirely different altogether). Coincidentally the Andro was also being discussed there, thought I would share the tidbit for people to discuss. I am in no way suggesting that I personally have listened to all 3 side-by-side to to claim that they are similar, only sharing info from the other thread.

If you're looking purely at FR (as a disclaimer for any newbies out there, you shouldn't) there are IEMs like the Eartech Duals, Empire Ears ESR and Lime Ears Model X that measure somewhat similarly to the Andromeda. Unfortunately they also sound nothing alike so "measuring similarly" isn't really quite enough to get the same sound. I don't think anything really sounds similar to the Andromedas at any price point.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018 at 4:09 AM Post #38,428 of 103,554
Thank you all for your inputs.

Oct 17, 2018 at 5:55 AM Post #38,429 of 103,554
Update on the DMG: I've settled on Aurisonics/Fender silicone tips (the clementine shaped ones, not the Coca-Cola cup ones). Foam tips are good, but I just don't like the way the trap ear wax. But man, the included tip selection is crummy.

What size are the nozzles? I want to maximize isolation, and I would like to have 2-3 alternatives on hand for when my DMGs arrive, but I don't know what size will fit the nozzle.

Oct 17, 2018 at 6:30 AM Post #38,430 of 103,554
What size are the nozzles? I want to maximize isolation, and I would like to have 2-3 alternatives on hand for when my DMGs arrive, but I don't know what size will fit the nozzle.

There is a lip to the nozzles. I'd go for tips that are between 3.5 - 4 mm wide. You could consider the SpinFit CP145 (which are included with the AKG N5005). For maximum isolation, the best bet is with foam tips, e.g. Comply T-200. I don't have any experience with Symbio tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back