The discovery thread!
Sep 3, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #37,621 of 101,277
No worries! I own Campfire Andromeda as my primary IEM and I love them absolutely. In the last months I went on a quest to find a cheaper and more fun sounding (with plenty of bass, just not basshead levels) IEM for daily and brutal usage (and not worry about destroying them). So far I have KZ ED16 and then TRN V80. ED16 was along the lines on what I've been looking for and V80 is definitely an improvement over those but I find the treble on these a little bit harsh (not unacceptable though). So I was wondering if DMG is what I'm looking for.

I've only listened to the Andromeda on a couple of occasions, so I can't really give you a comparison, unfortunately. I also have not heard the V80. But I am good at interpreting measurements, and from what I've seen I can envision why some people may feel the V80 has harsh treble. I don't believe the DMG will have the same issue, especially with the gold filters attached. The treble response is very well measured on the DMG. My worry for you is that you might not find the bass "fun enough". It's there, and it certainly isn't lacking, but I definitely feel the sub-bass is rolled off. The last hybrid I had was the Dunu DN-2000J, and it had great bass (but the treble most likely irritated a ton of people). I love my EX1000 and its bass but I keep it in my mini museum because of its age and its impracticality for outdoor use. The DMG doesn't have bass as enjoyable as the two I just mentioned. It's also not nearly as fun as the exaggerated sub-bass on the AKG N5005, or the JVC FD01. But as a whole, the DMG is a pretty darn good package.

Sep 3, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #37,623 of 101,277
I've only listened to the Andromeda on a couple of occasions, so I can't really give you a comparison, unfortunately. I also have not heard the V80. But I am good at interpreting measurements, and from what I've seen I can envision why some people may feel the V80 has harsh treble. I don't believe the DMG will have the same issue, especially with the gold filters attached. The treble response is very well measured on the DMG. My worry for you is that you might not find the bass "fun enough". It's there, and it certainly isn't lacking, but I definitely feel the sub-bass is rolled off. The last hybrid I had was the Dunu DN-2000J, and it had great bass (but the treble most likely irritated a ton of people). I love my EX1000 and its bass but I keep it in my mini museum because of its age and its impracticality for outdoor use. The DMG doesn't have bass as enjoyable as the two I just mentioned. It's also not nearly as fun as the exaggerated sub-bass on the AKG N5005, or the JVC FD01. But as a whole, the DMG is a pretty darn good package.

@tomscy2000 can you comment on the soundstage of the bgvp dmg .. is it really that big like sony ex1000? does it sound great from weak sources like smartphone or do I need a dap? if yes which dap do you recommend to get most of this headphones?

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #37,624 of 101,277
Lol. That a tiny dac.? They seem to get smaller and smaller.

Yep, it's the Venture Electronics Odyssey. I've got a friend for it as well:

20180903_195722.jpg

The Hidizs Sonata I've had for a while now and I really love it (I've actually got two of them) , turns my Galaxy S8 into a very capable player.

The Odyssey is a lot more powerful though, actually I already regret ordering the SMSL IQ to pair with my phone and the HD58X when traveling (to use in hotel rooms).....

Sep 3, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #37,625 of 101,277
Not sure if how much people on this thread follow other threads here on head-fi but I came across this for those looking for a bargain under $200.
The Oriolus Finschi has been released for $179 and is on Penon.
People on the Oriolus thread are comparing it to the $600 Empire Ears Bravado. One person, who has heard both the Oriolus MKII (about $800) and the Finschi likes the cheaper Fiunschi better.
Compared to the Bravado, they have same bass but better mids and highs.

Tempted as would like to try a hybrid but universals never fit my ears well and not sure if would get done for tax on import :frowning2:

Sep 3, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #37,626 of 101,277

Thanks for the insight, much appreciated!

Sep 3, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #37,627 of 101,277
Tempted as would like to try a hybrid but universals never fit my ears well and not sure if would get done for tax on import :frowning2:

I should be getting a pair next week. Ordered from Penon about 9 days ago. I was a big fan of the original Oriolus v.1. This one is suppose to be as good or better.

I'll post my thoughts after receiving.

Sep 3, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #37,628 of 101,277
I should be getting a pair next week. Ordered from Penon about 9 days ago. I was a big fan of the original Oriolus v.1. This one is suppose to be as good or better.

I'll post my thoughts after receiving.

You obviously didn't do express shipping then? :p

Sep 3, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #37,630 of 101,277
I have ordered these two adapters during the sale on AliexAliEx , both have dac chip inside for high quality sound but not much expensive in price ,

Nice! I'm looking forward to hear your impressions on them. I've got them both in my basket but picked up enough other stuff this time.....

Sep 3, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #37,631 of 101,277
I'm surprised there is no reviews on the net about the ADV M5-1D or the M5-5D (1 DD & 1 DD + 4 BA). They look really nice.

Sep 3, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #37,632 of 101,277
^ Stevie likes the M1D best...
adv_CES2018_14.jpg

Sep 3, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #37,634 of 101,277
Bit late to the party (and generally not super into chifi after picking up the Katana) but I'm enamoured by the LZ A4 and its tuning variety. However, the recessed mids are curbing my impulsiveness. May pick up a pair if they go on sale.
Can someone vouch for the technical performance of the LZ A4 i.e. soundstage, resolution, separation?

Sep 3, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #37,635 of 101,277
@tomscy2000 can you comment on the soundstage of the bgvp dmg .. is it really that big like sony ex1000?

No. It's an average sized soundstage. It doesn't feel constrained, but it's not huge. I don't understand what you mean by the EX1000.

@tomscy2000does it sound great from weak sources like smartphone or do I need a dap? if yes which dap do you recommend to get most of this headphones?

You can use a smartphone. It's a very sensitive earphone. I don't listen past 4 clicks of the volume rocker on iOS devices. But if your smartphone has high OI (e.g. >5 ohms), I'd recommend using a lower OI source. I am getting good results from sources with 1 ohm OI and lower.

@tomscy2000if yes which dap do you recommend to get most of this headphones?

Don't get a DAP to 'match' a pair of earphones. That's silly. People get a DAP because they like standalone music playback capability, and they like the idea of it potentially delivering better SQ than a smartphone because DAP manufacturers usually tend to put more emphasis on the audio output stage. But smartphones have improved a lot, especially a few LG phones, and some BBK Vivo phones. If you must get a DAP, get one that you like looking at (i.e. you like its design --- you'll keep it for longer), that you like using (i.e. you like its user interface --- you'll keep it for longer), and one with low output impedance (i.e. pairs better with a wider variety of earphones --- you'll keep it for longer). Because you don't seem to have experience with existing 'audiophile' DAPs, I won't bother discussing topology. Don't worry about which company's DAC chip does what and how it requires crystal XOs, or how it requires a discrete output stage versus opamps. What's a good starting point? Probably the Shaling M0 or Hidizs AP80. Why? Because it uses a smartphone DAC SoC (meaning the voltage regulators, DAC, and headamp are integrated onto one single IC by ESS). This means it's designed to be idiot-proof. So any monkey like LG, which has no experience designing fastidious DAC and headamp circuits, can drop this chip in, and it'll voltage regulate itself into good sound. It also has low OI, which is why both Shanling and Hidizs advertise <1 ohm OI. Which one should you choose? Choose the OS that you like better, and the design/ergonomics you like better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back