The discovery thread!
Sep 2, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #37,591 of 99,316
The hifiman for me is still some kind of Benchmark till this day. One of the most balanced iems on my collection. Have absolutely no huge flaw. That's why they were the budget iem recommended by Tyll hertsens till his retirement.

They share with the t2 the references of somewhat neutral benchmark of my collection, the timbre of both is equaly good and was a huge step for me that came from cheap chi-fi . The differences: The re-400 has more punch in bass, less upper treble, slight roll off in highs. The re-400 have more thick mids, having kind of a inverted u shaped sound. The mids on t2 are a little more thin together with the brigher and sparkler presentation. The t2 has too much of a bass roll off, it is too weak for my ideal taste, but it is part of what makes this iem special. The re-400 is still kinda neutral but never rolls off... Check innerfidelity graph. The stage on t2 is huge and airyer, but with the price of the upper mids being the center of the show, it can be little more tiring than T2. The stage on re 400 is smaller, heavier and with a little more depth because of the tighter and more depper bass. The bass on hifiman share the fast decay and great texture of tin audio.

Overall i find the two similar, one is way more musical, and incapable of being tiring. Neutral-warm. The hifiman. The other, analitycal, thinner, more detayled. The tin audio.

The hifiman can be a way more universal iem, but the tin audio can be unbeateable if you are going to listen for a fast jazz track like Dave brubeck for example.

Construction wise. T2 hands down. Last note, the good fit is important to get a amazing isolation and sound from re 400. The t2 fit and isolation is'nt top notch.

Hope it helps.
Thanks for the amazing comparison. Tbh the hifiman seems alot more for my tastes for an entry level balanced iem. Only thing that initially put me off with these are all the reviews stating that these lack bass to the extent of it making stuff unenjoyable to listen.

Sep 2, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #37,592 of 99,316
Well, for me the re400 never really hit the right note (pun intended). It is a good sounding iem, but not as good as the hype made it. It is a great gateway to hi-fi though - I bought a whole bunch while it was going for $25 and it made for a great gift for a lot of friends. Personally, for a cheap balanced sound I would go with the dunu titan 1 and vsonic gr07 over the re400 any day of the week, but YMMV.

Sep 2, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #37,593 of 99,316
Well, for me the re400 never really hit the right note (pun intended). It is a good sounding iem, but not as good as the hype made it. It is a great gateway to hi-fi though - I bought a whole bunch while it was going for $25 and it made for a great gift for a lot of friends. Personally, for a cheap balanced sound I would go with the dunu titan 1 and vsonic gr07 over the re400 any day of the week, but YMMV.
That's cool but what are your opinions on the tin audio T2?

Sep 2, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #37,594 of 99,316
That's cool but what are your opinions on the tin audio T2?
I find the Tin Audio T2 to be my favorite Chi-fi IEM. I’ve had them since October of last year, and I still haven’t found anything I like more. For me, I think they have the best midrange out of anything else I have (you can check my long list of IEMs) and there’s just something about the timbre that feels so natural and right. They have the most forward, yet non-fatiguing vocals I’ve heard in anything below $100. I also don’t hear any recession in the midrange whatsoever. Overall, I find them to be a very safe option with a very nice and neutral sound signature.

Sep 2, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #37,595 of 99,316
Got my DMGs. First impression is that it makes no errors of commission. The mids are not problematic at all, and even with the treble nozzles, there isn't much sibilance. There's some treble roll-off, but I'm fine with it. At least it's not fatiguing. My unit has no detectable channel imbalance, thank goodness. I'd hate to have to RMA these.

The exchangeable filters are subtle in effect; there's nothing covering the silver ones (treble), while there is a thin layer of mesh lining the gold ones (bass). The gold ones smooth out the treble response a bit, allowing the bass to be a little more prominent, but the difference isn't night and day.

Overall, instead of selecting the bass filters, I'd opt to use the silver (undampened) ones and use Comply Ts tips instead. But I need new Comply tips, so it'll be some time before I try that route. Because the filter threads are not perfect, I'd want to try to avoid changing out the filters all the time to risk stripping the threads, too. Currently, I'm just using SpinFit tips on them, and already they sound different from stock tips. Stock tips aren't good IMO; they're not very compliant and feel like the cheap silicone tips ubiquitously found in <$20 earphones.

Sub-bass is a bit of a disappointment, though. While the mid-bass is controlled, sub-bass is rolled off. I don't have a problem with the quantity of impact either, but the bass texture is something I'm still getting used to. Feels a little grainy to me.

Soundstage is variable; it's tip-dependent, and ultimately, there aren't a ton of clear directional cues. My guess is that the way it's designed plays a part in this --- the individual frequency ranges aren't piped all the way to the end of the nozzles (to enable the exchangeable filters, of course), and to me, soundstage suffers.

These will be OI-dependent earphones; I'm getting relatively good results from a <0.5 ohm OI source (SMSL iDEA), but I dislike how it sounds from my iPhone 6 (~5 ohms). The difference isn't massive, but detectable.

Keep in mind that I haven't heard any of the well-regarded chi-fi earphones often, so please don't ask me how it compares to the Trn *** or LZ ** or TFZ ****** --- I have no idea.

For $139, I think they're well worth the price. The satin blue housings are nice, compact, and comfortable, and the DMG has definitely exceeded my (relatively low) expectations. It has a pleasant, if safe (i.e. rolled-off on purpose, rather than by technical limitations) signature.

IMG_4135.JPG
EDIT: Used the included foam tips with silver filters --- this is a good balance, to me, at least. More used to the bass, but it's still lacking sub-bass response (this is coming from someone who doesn't like bassy earphones, but rather dead flat bass response, or at the most a +4.5 dB boost over the Etymotic shelf). These are sensitive earphones too; I'm using them at minimum volume on my SMSL iDEA. Overall, no real shifts in opinion from initial thoughts.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #37,596 of 99,316
HTB1cHp1AuuSBuNjSsplq6ze8pXaa.jpg

Finally got my silver cable here from DD- audio on aliexpress. These are indeed the real deal. This is a cable you guys have to bookmark for next time if you need a silver cable on the cheap. Was recently on sale for $45. they are back to $59. But even at full price these are very comparable to my other silver cables I have bought on aliexpress. Very soft 4 core pure silver cable. These have some weight to them since they are pure silver and most importantly I can clearly tell they are pure silver in sound characteristics. Sounds superb on my M3s and DZ12. Unlike the stiff memory wire that is on a lot of cables these ones are actually done really well. They form very nicely to my ears and are not stiff at all. I was thinking of taking off the ear guides but I will just leave them on here. No need to take these off. Thumbs up on these cables. Especially when they are on sale. And you best believe they will be on sale again. Will wait till I see a few reviews of some of the newer Chifi iems before trying them out possibly for 11/11 sale.

Will try my DMGs using these cables once I get it.

Sep 2, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #37,597 of 99,316
Hi Ds, can I ask for the link of the cable please. Thanks.

Btw, received the ON2 and on the burn now. Kind of loose on my small head but still isolate pretty well. If I remember correctly, you have tried other cables. If possible some cable recommendations for ON2.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #37,598 of 99,316
I use a pure silver cable for mines but these look really nice and should give a bit of an uplift in detail on the ON2. These are supposed to be pure silver core so should give a similar effect as my cable I have.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...95712fb&transAbTest=ae803_1&priceBeautifyAB=0

The 1.5m version only cost $45. That is s heck of a deal for a pure silver cable you can use for headphones.

That mmcx balanced silver cable I posted earlier is a lunashops cable and on lunashops they go for $70 or so and on DD audio store they got it for $59 but recent sales they were $45. If you can wait till next big sale I am certain they will go on sales again to $45 or cheaper. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/MMC...065.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.644c4c4d0dxrhR

Sep 3, 2018 at 2:51 AM Post #37,599 of 99,316
I find the Tin Audio T2 to be my favorite Chi-fi IEM. I’ve had them since October of last year, and I still haven’t found anything I like more. For me, I think they have the best midrange out of anything else I have (you can check my long list of IEMs) and there’s just something about the timbre that feels so natural and right. They have the most forward, yet non-fatiguing vocals I’ve heard in anything below $100. I also don’t hear any recession in the midrange whatsoever. Overall, I find them to be a very safe option with a very nice and neutral sound signature.
Wow! That's a bold statement since you have/or owned a number of great iems that can cost upto 6x as much. These sound like a steal for £25 on the last Ali sale! Btw what tips and mods do you listen to these with?

I would also be interested in your thoughts about the qt2, do they hold up against the it01s that I recently had?

Sep 3, 2018 at 4:29 AM Post #37,601 of 99,316
That mmcx balanced silver cable I posted earlier is a lunashops cable and on lunashops they go for $70 or so and on DD audio store they got it for $59 but recent sales they were $45. If you can wait till next big sale I am certain they will go on sales again to $45 or cheaper. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/MMC...065.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.644c4c4d0dxrhR

Silly question but is the mmcx cable you linked comes with both 2 pin and MCCX cables? About to order it but just want the MMCX

Sep 3, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #37,603 of 99,316
So, finally I got the Rose BR7 today. Attaching a few pictures of the same. In terms of build quality, look and feel, it seems remarkably similar to the Rose BR5, which similarly had a earplug design that goes pretty deep, and seems to provide good isolation (yet to get the right tips to fit me well though). I like that this time, they have decided not to have the Rose name in the engraving and instead have the logo, which looks better.

I think I will need to spend more time, to get a hold of the sound. Initial impressions of the sound, it seems that tonality wise, it seems to be slightly brighter with a more linear bass, and slightly upper-mids focussed sound. Treble seems to extend quite well. Soundstage is quite impressive, with a good amount of depth and width. I hope to compare against FH5 , as well once i get my review unit for it. Hopefully, I get to compare against IT04 as well.

Here are a few pics:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Sep 3, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #37,604 of 99,316
Silly question but is the mmcx cable you linked comes with both 2 pin and MCCX cables? About to order it but just want the MMCX

You just have to click on the right photo option be it mmcx in balanced which is what I got or in single ended. Now if you plan on just getting these for single ended. There is another option I have had my eyes on. This one here.
HTB1LIenz9BYBeNjy0Feq6znmFXa1.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...&terminal_id=842ad2f185884a7db4f87b95b8920137 This one looks really nice. It is too bad they don't come in balanced but if you plan on just getting a single ended anyhow. This one looks like a better option than the gold colored silver cable I posted.

Sep 3, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #37,605 of 99,316
BGVP DMG on massdrop for 115 USD. I wish we had some more reviews before pulling the trigger. Definitely tempting though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back