Oriolus Hybrid IEM
Aug 25, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #1,201 of 1,871
Just got mine from Penon, a steal at $179. Save yourself $420 compared to Bravado. Using Norne Audio silver Therium 4.4 out of Sony ZX300, same set up as I had with Bravado and @ranfan is correct about the vocals, they are sweet and the bass is big and there even with the silver cable. Cymbals have good snap and decay, really nice IEM at a great price.

Aug 25, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #1,202 of 1,871
Just got mine from Penon, a steal at $179. Save yourself $420 compared to Bravado. Using Norne Audio silver Therium 4.4 out of Sony ZX300, same set up as I had with Bravado and @ranfan is correct about the vocals, they are sweet and the bass is big and there even with the silver cable. Cymbals have good snap and decay, really nice IEM at a great price.

Man, you two have got me itching! Sweeter vocals compared to the venerable Oriolus v2???
Any comments on timbre? Forgiving iem? Might be my potential daily beater, I'm always ultra careful when I'd bring out my V2... could use a break

Aug 26, 2018 at 2:07 AM Post #1,203 of 1,871
Man, you two have got me itching! Sweeter vocals compared to the venerable Oriolus v2???
Any comments on timbre? Forgiving iem? Might be my potential daily beater, I'm always ultra careful when I'd bring out my V2... could use a break
During my time having them, I feel too the shell and pin of the V2 are quite vulnerable. I had them when it was recently released, and there were some problems. But with the Finschi, the improvement in quality I think is great . The shell material although seemingly lighter, is pretty durable. And I don't have any problem with the pin, and cable so far. The stock tips too are good, but I prefer using the Final Audio, or SpinFit ones as they're more comfortable.

Compared to the V2, vocal-wise the Finschi I think is the winner. As I recall, the V2 has a less forward midrange positioning relative to its bass, and treble, making it sound more V-shaped. You do though perhaps get a more satisfying powerful bass. The treble of the V2 I think could be smoother to make it more enjoyable. With the Finschi, the vocals and midrange instruments can be perceived more clearly, and despite it being sweeter, its sparkle never gets too spiky or sibilant to my ears. Its bass too is not too overwhelming, unlike many dynamic-driver IEMs this could make the presentation sound darker, and mids less clear. It has a lighter, less heavy midrange sound that I think is suitable for female vocals, and string instruments to shine. Relatively true in timbre, and not too colored. Its note density comes/relies more from the sub-bass, and not upper-bass, or lower-midrange. A bit unusual, and for some could be less natural. But this I think is what enables the Finschi to have a clear midrange along with a heavy bass.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #1,204 of 1,871
During my time having them, I feel too the shell and pin of the V2 are quite vulnerable. I had them when it was recently released, and there were some problems. But with the Finschi, the improvement in quality I think is great . The shell material although seemingly lighter, is pretty durable. And I don't have any problem with the pin, and cable so far. The stock tips too are good, but I prefer using the Final Audio, or SpinFit ones as they're more comfortable.

Compared to the V2, vocal-wise the Finschi I think is the winner. As I recall, the V2 has a less forward midrange positioning relative to its bass, and treble, making it sound more V-shaped. You do though perhaps get a more satisfying powerful bass. The treble of the V2 I think could be smoother to make it more enjoyable. With the Finschi, the vocals and midrange instruments can be perceived more clearly, and despite it being sweeter, its sparkle never gets too spiky or sibilant to my ears. Its bass too is not too overwhelming, unlike many dynamic-driver IEMs this could make the presentation sound darker, and mids less clear. It has a lighter, less heavy midrange sound that I think is suitable for female vocals, and string instruments to shine. Relatively true in timbre, and not too colored. Its note density comes/relies more from the sub-bass, and not upper-bass, or lower-midrange. A bit unusual, and for some could be less natural. But this I think is what enables the Finschi to have a clear midrange along with a heavy bass.

I'll look around for measurements as soon as they come (re: finschi). Ime with my v2, the mids are actually slightly more forward than the bass, and the bass is pretty hefty on the subbass portion. Anyhow, I'll make a decision in a month, since I'll be checking out some EE iems during my travel. I'll post my own impressions if I end up with the pinchy. Thanks again.

Aug 27, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #1,205 of 1,871

ah you've compared them to the EE Bravado?

Aug 27, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #1,207 of 1,871
finschi_fr.png

Refer to the grey raw plots. Red/blue plots are diffuse-field compensated.
Measurements from here

Looks good though the bass boost has me a little concerned. Seems to be tuned to be eardrum-neutral (Prophile-8 neutral) from mids upward.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #1,209 of 1,871
finschi_fr.png

Refer to the grey raw plots. Red/blue plots are diffuse-field compensated.
Measurements from here

Looks good though the bass boost has me a little concerned. Seems to be tuned to be eardrum-neutral (Prophile-8 neutral) from mids upward.

Much appreciated contribution! Grazie!

Aug 27, 2018 at 11:40 PM Post #1,210 of 1,871
@ranfan How about staging and layering etc... Do you think the Finschi can keep up with her sister?
Personally, I like it more than the V2. Technically, I cannot say for sure since it's based on my subjective memory. But the separation between its bass, and mids is great. It has a decent resolution, and bass quality. Due to its dynamic nature, the bass I think is less tighter than BA, it's more raw IMO, and big.

Aug 28, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #1,211 of 1,871
Personally, I like it more than the V2. Technically, I cannot say for sure since it's based on my subjective memory. But the separation between its bass, and mids is great. It has a decent resolution, and bass quality. Due to its dynamic nature, the bass I think is less tighter than BA, it's more raw IMO, and big.
Well, it looks like I'm in the market for some birds.....

Sep 3, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #1,212 of 1,871

i'm unable to demo these or any other iem due to my location atm, might i regret saving the $400+ by going for the finschi than the bravado?

Sep 3, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #1,213 of 1,871
i'm unable to demo these or any other iem due to my location atm, might i regret saving the $400+ by going for the finschi than the bravado?

+1 on inquiry. Where does that extra 400$ go that might make it worth the extra mile?

Sep 3, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #1,214 of 1,871
No way! The midrange and treble are much more present and clear and the bass is a toss up. No regrets. I think if more people come around to the idea that you don't need to spend a lot of money to get good sound and think only $1000+ IEM is worthy we'll be happier. On the other hand the Andromeda does best all mentioned, only because it's clearer throughout. Bravado is overpriced, originally $499 then without notice $599 for no explained reason.

Sep 3, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #1,215 of 1,871
No way! The midrange and treble are much more present and clear and the bass is a toss up. No regrets. I think if more people come around to the idea that you don't need to spend a lot of money to get good sound and think only $1000+ IEM is worthy we'll be happier. On the other hand the Andromeda does best all mentioned, only because it's clearer throughout. Bravado is overpriced, originally $499 then without notice $599 for no explained reason.
Could it be you're just salty about the price change?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back