The discovery thread!
May 13, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #33,241 of 100,305
This might be useful... https://support.beyerdynamic.com/hc...fference-between-DT-1990-PRO-and-Amiron-home-

Sounds like the pushing the tuning slightly from monitor to personal listening with a bigger stage. The "fascinating spaciousness" and some more warmth and a bit off the highs("pleasant", "laid-back sound").

30 grams off the weight is nice as well as the change of connectors to a more common type, outside of the studio that is.

May 13, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #33,242 of 100,305
@kman1211 that joined us here on the discovery thread I believe owned the DT1770, I think got rid of it after he got the DT1990, also owns the Amiron homes and at one point traded his friend for the T1 gen2 with his DT1990,. only to repurchase the DT1990. I am sure he can give a much better answer to this. In fact this guy is probably the main reason why I ended up with the DT1990. He did an awesome job with sound descriptions of the DT1990 which got me reading every single review and post on the net about the DT1990.

One thing that is consistent about the DT1990 is the praise by guys that own them and or has reviewed them. Have not yet read a single negative anything on them. Which made me even more curious about them. This all started with a little portable cans the DT1350 which gave me a good taste of the Beyer Tesla sound.

Sound leakage is much like any other open can, it does leak out and in a lot of sound but once you hit play on anything connected to it. You quickly forget they are leaking sound. So while these are not ideal for public use the sound trade off is well worth it.

In the end my choices came down to the Amiron Home and the DT1990.. Let me just put it this way. If I was to get any of the other cans mentioned on this post minus the T1 which if your gonna spend a G note on a can you better like but for me If I got any of the other cans and not heard the DT1990. That would have been tragic. I have to admit I love the sound of these cans so much I am now considering saving up a bit for the Amiron Homes.

Oh, I'm a huge fan of Beyer Tesla drivers, got T5p 2nd gen here with me, and very happy how the bass scale up after I modded it with Mr Speaker alpha pads (a must, imho). Soundstage and imaging are great too for a closed back, though they cheated a bit since these feature 5mm port on each earcup which helps to air out the sound :wink: The leakage is rather minimum, as long as I'm a few feet away from my wife on the couch, she doesn't complain, and I don't have to worry about listening at night when kids go to sleep :) Also, testing now their Xelento which is fantastic, so tiny and comfortable, yet you get a great taste of rich Tesla drivers flavor in your ears.

I have the opportunity to either get DT1770 Pro or DT1990 Pro loaner for review, and contemplating now which one. Don't have too many full size, and from what I got - all are closed back except for R70x (that one is great too). So, naturally I'm leaning more toward 1770 which also would be a good comparison with T5p2, but all this talk about 1990 superiority got my interest high. Either way, it's a loaner so perhaps for the review purpose I should go with 1990...

beyer_xelento_x3.jpg

May 13, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #33,243 of 100,305
Those Xelentos got my interest as well. Love the new Beyer sound. I can't have audio without it now.

If you get the opportunity to check out the DT1990..Highly recommended it has made all my tracks sound their absolute best.

May 13, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #33,244 of 100,305
@kman1211 that joined us here on the discovery thread I believe owned the DT1770, I think got rid of it after he got the DT1990, also owns the Amiron homes and at one point traded his friend for the T1 gen2 with his DT1990,. only to repurchase the DT1990. I am sure he can give a much better answer to this. In fact this guy is probably the main reason why I ended up with the DT1990. He did an awesome job with sound descriptions of the DT1990 which got me reading every single review and post on the net about the DT1990.

One thing that is consistent about the DT1990 is the praise by guys that own them and or has reviewed them. Have not yet read a single negative anything on them. Which made me even more curious about them. This all started with a little portable cans the DT1350 which gave me a good taste of the Beyer Tesla sound.

Sound leakage is much like any other open can, it does leak out and in a lot of sound but once you hit play on anything connected to it. You quickly forget they are leaking sound. So while these are not ideal for public use the sound trade off is well worth it.

In the end my choices came down to the Amiron Home and the DT1990.. Let me just put it this way. If I was to get any of the other cans mentioned on this post minus the T1 which if your gonna spend a G note on a can you better like but for me If I got any of the other cans and not heard the DT1990. That would have been tragic. I have to admit I love the sound of these cans so much I am now considering saving up a bit for the Amiron Homes.

I still own the DT 1770 actually, it's largely ignored though, but not because of the DT 1990(which does share a similar sound but more refined). The DT 1770 was mostly replaced with my DT 480.

The DT 1990 does strike a rare balance that really makes them hard to dislike, they do have faults of course, no headphone doesn't. But I haven't seen a single of negative review of them by those who have owned or reviewed them either. The only complaints I've seen are by some random people who complained they are sibilant on youtube comments, which I don't find the case as while they have treble dynamics I wouldn't say they are sibilant, though I understand some may be sensitive to the treble dynamics. The T1 I let go because I found the T1.2 a pain to properly match to a system, I had some issues with their treble, and gave up on trying to make them happy so I went back to the DT 1990 which I find a bit more musical, full sounding, and easy to work with. Their neutral tuning makes them more versatile on amps actually. I may revisit the T1 in time, but not before I upgrade my system.

The Amiron Homes are quite different, more different than I personally expected, but it allows it to be a nice compliment.

Last edited:
May 13, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #33,245 of 100,305
I still own the DT 1770 actually, it's largely ignored though, but not because of the DT 1990(which does share a similar sound but more refined). The DT 1770 was mostly replaced with my DT 480.

The DT 1990 does strike a rare balance that really makes them hard to dislike, they do have faults of course, no headphone doesn't. But I haven't seen a single of negative review of them by those who have owned or reviewed them either. The only complaints I've seen are by some random people who complained they are sibilant on youtube comments, which I don't find the case as while they have treble dynamics I wouldn't say they are sibilant, though I understand some may be sensitive to the treble dynamics. The T1 I let go because I found the T1.2 a pain to properly match to a system, I had some issues with their treble, and gave up on trying to make them happy so I went back to the DT 1990 which I find a bit more musical, full sounding, and easy to work with. Their neutral tuning makes them more versatile on amps actually. I may revisit the T1 in time, but not before I upgrade my system.

The Amiron Homes are quite different, more different than I personally expected, but it allows it to be a nice compliment.

Have you ever tested T5p 2nd gen? Curious if you have and how does it compare to DT1770?

May 13, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #33,247 of 100,305
Only heard them in passing sadly so can't really compare them. Though I do find the DT 1770 and DT 1990 the essentially be the most full-bodied of the Tesla Beyers with the richest mids.

So, what does that say for the Amiron Home if indeed warmer and more laid back than the DT1990. The richest of them all maybe?

May 13, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #33,248 of 100,305
So, what does that say for the Amiron Home if indeed warmer and more laid back than the DT1990. The richest of them all maybe?

It's the richest sound overall due to its really rich bass response, but not the richest mids due to its upper mids being more relaxed and a little distant compared to the DT 1990, the mids are just more fleshed out on the DT 1990. The Amiron is on the liquid sounding side, while the DT 1990 is a bit on the dry side. I use the Amirons mostly for lower level and relaxing listening, the treble goes a bit higher on the Amirons than the DT 1990s.

Last edited:
May 15, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #33,251 of 100,305
NiceHCK released the upgrade model of DZ series the DZ12 a 12 BA drivers iem,
It is Knowles+Sonion BA mix iem with 4 crossovers,
2 super highs, 2 highs, 4 mids, 4 sonion BA for low frequences , , ,
I'd love to have the guts (and money) to take a chance on these. If they are any good then it's actually good value. But if they aren't that's a large chunk of cash to waste :triportsad:

May 15, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #33,252 of 100,305
I'd love to have the guts (and money) to takownershance on these. If they are any good then it's actually good value. But if they aren't that's a large chunk of cash to waste :triportsad:
According to the previous models of DZ series the DZ 7,8,9, they are highly appreciated by the owners so i am sure this DZ12 will be that good and will justify for their asking price ,

May 18, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #33,254 of 100,305
RIP Chris Cornell. Sad day

yes RIP Chris Cornell! i was backstage in Seattle at the last 90's classic Soundgarden concert, which was amazing and fierce, and they broke up after
the concert due to multiple personal crisis of the band members. i attempted to emergency family counseling, but the rifts were too great and they went their separate ways. Luckily Chris persisted in his career with new bands and solo work that was astonishing and successful! we will miss his great voice and music!

May 18, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #33,255 of 100,305
Also very sad about Chris Cornell. He was an incredible vocalist, and seemed like a nice, thoughtful guy as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back