The discovery thread!
May 7, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #33,226 of 100,259
Well guys a bit of a back ground to what I am gonna introduce to this thread. It is a bit higher end but at the price they are asking for these cans. Let me just say these are about as close to perfection for me as it gets. I recently purchased a Beyerdynamic DT1350. Was very impressed by them and heard the potential of Beyers Tesla drivers.

A message from our good buddy ericp10 was telling me his fave cans are Beyers top tier T1 gen2s. Wasn't gonna spend that much on a new can but was intrigued none the less. Long story short after numerous hours of thread reading, reviews impressions. I give you.

upload_2017-5-7_20-8-57.png
These cans!

Oh man. I remember the first day I got these. I opened the box plugged it straight to my Fiio X5iii and I couldnt believe what I was hearing. The stage, the detail, the timbre, the range, the rich mids, the depth, the clarity, the bass. It has me reevaluating my music collection ever since I got them. These cans. So wicked, so good!

I have never in my life been more impressed with a sound. These cans dare I say could very well be my end game cans.

Last edited:
May 10, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #33,227 of 100,259
Speaking of the DT1990, it is is this blog post about the CH9T which seems to indicate the Pioneer does well balanced. It should as the new Pioneer player is balanced as well as the fixed cable little brother CH5T comes in a balanced model so the CH9T should do well balanced...

4/21/2017

PIONEER SE-CH9T
High, just get the pioneer SE-CH9T earphones just cheap, and can be used without hesitation in the commuter as became released last month.

And was surprised by the ear. Is not it!
Waves to the chunky bass acted. And striking pins high to think BA type or area and not lose them in the area anyway and swill with higher resolution comes out punching power of sound.
I think it's completely took the runaway leader in this price range.
Bought with the intention of subiyahon, but it may again full metal jacket earphones price destruction.
Is a sound much now in the earpiece of your highest JH Audio ROSIE might I 投ge飛bashichi in throwing and listen.

Is a vivid impression, only gorigolivibi earphones to be realized the hidden source, just push in pressure as well as the familiar sound.
And SE-CH9T and ROSIE listen if compared, to the subtle nuances of a touch of musical instruments is still BA 6 ROSIE on is.
Fit also to my wonderful, coupled with the Shure hook style, is very comfortable.
Nozzle is quite thick, and feels hard to the earpiece of a third-party Exchange.
But with excellent genuine earpiece spiral fin, on the inside of the umbrella Street. Thanks to this you will fit snugly into the ear canal. This is the earpiece are well thought out.

And adopted MMCX connector, it is possible like Bull. NOBUNAGA Labs BL-AKX1 to swap the pictures 1, 2.5 mm are balanced. Said that was in part incompatible with generic MMCX will use without any problems.
Balance connection is used in the DP-S1 , will use the photo custom plug when used inDA-310USB .

So try a comparative listening and thinks audio SE-CH9T such higher-priced earphones exceeds in some cases even once again my strongest of Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO and great sound isolation earphones, listening SE-CH9T exceeded even the DT 1990 But in front of the monitor sound terrific PRO from drooping neck indeed not.
At all as compare to fact will is wrong, but still energetic and powerful sound of the SE-CH9T very very comfortable.

May 10, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #33,228 of 100,259
Lol. That translation. I get this guy was impressed. Maybe something to look out for. I am still waiting on the Hunters which I would guess is around the corner. Fingers crossed that those will be worth the long wait.

In the mean while, I have not heard an earphone that comes close to the sound I am getting out of the DT1990 pros. If there is I would seriously consider getting a pair on the go. My Z5s are as close to a full headphone type sound there is in balanced mode but I will give it up to my DT1990 for a true reference sound. The 1990 pros are for studio/ home use, but it is the sound that is just off the charts in quality, are open so they leak crazy amounts of sound but all for the sonics it has. I aint gonna complain about sound leakage.

The trade off is one of the most all encompassing full blown, rich agile dimensional sound profiles on the planet. I am sold on the new Beyer tuning. It has gotten a hold of me and I can't let it go. I have never heard precision done quite like these cans. The real crazy part is you would figure it would be fatiguing with this amount of detail but alas it is so damn good it will not fatigue but will be hard to take off. These cans are the truth in the recordings. If it has it, it will play it simple as that.

May 11, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #33,229 of 100,259
Speaking of the DT1990, it is is this blog post about the CH9T which seems to indicate the Pioneer does well balanced. It should as the new Pioneer player is balanced as well as the fixed cable little brother CH5T comes in a balanced model so the CH9T should do well balanced...

4/21/2017

PIONEER SE-CH9T
High, just get the pioneer SE-CH9T earphones just cheap, and can be used without hesitation in the commuter as became released last month.

And was surprised by the ear. Is not it!
Waves to the chunky bass acted. And striking pins high to think BA type or area and not lose them in the area anyway and swill with higher resolution comes out punching power of sound.
I think it's completely took the runaway leader in this price range.
Bought with the intention of subiyahon, but it may again full metal jacket earphones price destruction.
Is a sound much now in the earpiece of your highest JH Audio ROSIE might I 投ge飛bashichi in throwing and listen.

Is a vivid impression, only gorigolivibi earphones to be realized the hidden source, just push in pressure as well as the familiar sound.
And SE-CH9T and ROSIE listen if compared, to the subtle nuances of a touch of musical instruments is still BA 6 ROSIE on is.
Fit also to my wonderful, coupled with the Shure hook style, is very comfortable.
Nozzle is quite thick, and feels hard to the earpiece of a third-party Exchange.
But with excellent genuine earpiece spiral fin, on the inside of the umbrella Street. Thanks to this you will fit snugly into the ear canal. This is the earpiece are well thought out.

And adopted MMCX connector, it is possible like Bull. NOBUNAGA Labs BL-AKX1 to swap the pictures 1, 2.5 mm are balanced. Said that was in part incompatible with generic MMCX will use without any problems.
Balance connection is used in the DP-S1 , will use the photo custom plug when used inDA-310USB .

So try a comparative listening and thinks audio SE-CH9T such higher-priced earphones exceeds in some cases even once again my strongest of Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO and great sound isolation earphones, listening SE-CH9T exceeded even the DT 1990 But in front of the monitor sound terrific PRO from drooping neck indeed not.
At all as compare to fact will is wrong, but still energetic and powerful sound of the SE-CH9T very very comfortable.

How can you describe the sound profile? Neutral analytic flat or V-shaped. In a german forum a guy compared it with stagediver SD2 and like the Pioneer more

May 11, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #33,230 of 100,259
I would describe them as balanced but warm. A bit north of neutral bass that can kick. I like it as it seems the right amount of bass. The bass tames a bit with use but is still rich and well defined bass that is fun and satisfying but a basshead would want to EQ more. majority will be happy with the amount and quality. They are not V as the treble is kept polite and extended but well behaved. Mids are right there and not recessed and all three areas are of a similar quality blending together nicely. Take CKR9 which has large stage and bass focus with quality but mids and highs not that hot. Pioneer does follow in that bass focus sound with a big sound that is quite natural but does better in the mids and treble so the bass focus stands out as a bit less and is the foundation of a more coherent overall sound than the Audio-technica.

May 11, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #33,232 of 100,259
Well! I finally found you guys again, geesh!! For some reason I couldn't with this new layout (lol). Anyway, Ds, I'm glad you're having the Tesla experience I've been having with those Beyers. They make some astonishing headphones, don't they? Let me keep reading and see what I've missed (although I haven't bought anything in a longtime). I'm still waiting on my Phantom Hunter (was told I would see it last week, but of course nothing yet). And I have to talk the range of Fender earphones soon from our good buddy and audio creative genius Dale Lott. Also waiting on Thinksound to give us something new.

May 11, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #33,233 of 100,259
Yep, I have seen other solid reviews. I can't say how well it does balanced and with that gear as I just run them straight stock and perhaps light amping(8dB gain is my little amp so nothing even that strong) but I do like it more than anything I have heard in a few years. They do seem to have more potential than stock so they may scale nice. I'm sure a DT1990 Pro should sounds bigger or there are more detailed phones etc. but not surprising that people say they may like them better than an SD2 or something else. They do the sound more like a headphone thing and do it quite well and do have some ability but I am certainly taking the "liking" as just that as they are a conglomerate of sound done right but not sure any individual trait, while able, is class leading. Though, for me, the ergonomics may indeed be class leading as far as the fit and comfort go. There is a lot to like(except the crappy pouch/skimpy accessory kit).

May 11, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #33,234 of 100,259
Well! I finally found you guys again, geesh!! For some reason I couldn't with this new layout (lol). Anyway, Ds, I'm glad you're having the Tesla experience I've been having with those Beyers. They make some astonishing headphones, don't they? Let me keep reading and see what I've missed (although I haven't bought anything in a longtime). I'm still waiting on my Phantom Hunter (was told I would see it last week, but of course nothing yet). And I have to talk the range of Fender earphones soon from our good buddy and audio creative genius Dale Lott. Also waiting on Thinksound to give us something new.

I am sold. Hook line and sinker on the new Beyer tuning. I go home and start listening to my DT1990 pros and I can't take em off my head. Too good.

Yep, I have seen other solid reviews. I can't say how well it does balanced and with that gear as I just run them straight stock and perhaps light amping(8dB gain is my little amp so nothing even that strong) but I do like it more than anything I have heard in a few years. They do seem to have more potential than stock so they may scale nice. I'm sure a DT1990 Pro should sounds bigger or there are more detailed phones etc. but not surprising that people say they may like them better than an SD2 or something else. They do the sound more like a headphone thing and do it quite well and do have some ability but I am certainly taking the "liking" as just that as they are a conglomerate of sound done right but not sure any individual trait, while able, is class leading. Though, for me, the ergonomics may indeed be class leading as far as the fit and comfort go. There is a lot to like(except the crappy pouch/skimpy accessory kit).

Interesting. What is the price point of the Pioneers?

May 11, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #33,236 of 100,259
My only Tesla experience so far is this one :wink:

IMG_20170407_200702_972.jpg

I'm hoping to get a chance to try out a Beyerdynamic one tomorrow though.....

May 13, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #33,237 of 100,259
I am sold. Hook line and sinker on the new Beyer tuning. I go home and start listening to my DT1990 pros and I can't take em off my head. Too good.

Interesting. What is the price point of the Pioneers?

The DT 1990's are definitely really addicting, I really adore them, same with the Amiron Home. Both seriously underrated headphones, but I have noticed how well loved they tend to be by owners.

May 13, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #33,238 of 100,259
The real surprise for me is how awesome they sound on literally everything I own. The cans are so transparent and clean sounding. I can tell the sound profile and tuning of different sources and amps I own with ease using the DT1990 from them. Based on how you want your sound. You can go neutral, more energetic or warm smooth sounding. All depending on what source you use with the cans. Then there is the option to change pads for a different sound profile for the cans themselves.

Feed some clean music to the cans and they reward with one of the most dynamic rich sounds on the planet. Just astounding every time I get a chance to hear them.

If someone was to ask me from my home which phone I would snap up if my house was on fire.

That answer is easy.

May 13, 2017 at 6:18 AM Post #33,239 of 100,259
The real surprise for me is how awesome they sound on literally everything I own. The cans are so transparent and clean sounding. I can tell the sound profile and tuning of different sources and amps I own with ease using the DT1990 from them. Based on how you want your sound. You can go neutral, more energetic or warm smooth sounding. All depending on what source you use with the cans. Then there is the option to change pads for a different sound profile for the cans themselves.

Feed some clean music to the cans and they reward with one of the most dynamic rich sounds on the planet. Just astounding every time I get a chance to hear them.

If someone was to ask me from my home which phone I would snap up if my house was on fire.

That answer is easy.

Considering their open back nature, what can you say about sound leakage and isolation? How about dt1990 vs dt1770 (closed back) comparison, any thoughts?

May 13, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #33,240 of 100,259
Considering their open back nature, what can you say about sound leakage and isolation? How about dt1990 vs dt1770 (closed back) comparison, any thoughts?

@kman1211 that joined us here on the discovery thread I believe owned the DT1770, I think got rid of it after he got the DT1990, also owns the Amiron homes and at one point traded his friend for the T1 gen2 with his DT1990,. only to repurchase the DT1990. I am sure he can give a much better answer to this. In fact this guy is probably the main reason why I ended up with the DT1990. He did an awesome job with sound descriptions of the DT1990 which got me reading every single review and post on the net about the DT1990.

One thing that is consistent about the DT1990 is the praise by guys that own them and or has reviewed them. Have not yet read a single negative anything on them. Which made me even more curious about them. This all started with a little portable cans the DT1350 which gave me a good taste of the Beyer Tesla sound.

Sound leakage is much like any other open can, it does leak out and in a lot of sound but once you hit play on anything connected to it. You quickly forget they are leaking sound. So while these are not ideal for public use the sound trade off is well worth it.

In the end my choices came down to the Amiron Home and the DT1990.. Let me just put it this way. If I was to get any of the other cans mentioned on this post minus the T1 which if your gonna spend a G note on a can you better like but for me If I got any of the other cans and not heard the DT1990. That would have been tragic. I have to admit I love the sound of these cans so much I am now considering saving up a bit for the Amiron Homes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back