The discovery thread!
Aug 28, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #30,121 of 99,913
That's interesting...I'm in total agreement on the idea of component synergy, I guess personal SQ preferences have a lot to do with it as well. I, for instance, think it is much more organic sounding than my DX90, more flesh on the bones, so to speak. I've hardly touched the DX90 since getting it. And, to my ears, it has worked well with every headphone I use EXCEPT my Ety 4s, didn't like the combo. Oh well, different strokes and all that...

As for need, no one "needs" anything but their phone, it's more a "want" thing, as in, "i want the best sound I can afford".

Oh, and eventually (which, with LH Labs could be tomorrow or in 2 years...) I have a Wave coming, fully tricked out. I expect it will be much better than the Pono, but for the cost differential it had better. Have no idea how the base Wave and Pono will compare, but I assume comparisons will be posted and strong opinions well be heard.

Let me put this in another perspective. The advantages I achieve running Sony H3 with Pono compared to iBasso DX50 are minimal at best,  the advantage is forgivable imo, and I put this down to Sony H3's warm signature and tonality being less revealing of the source. ER4S on the other hand are a lot more transparent, much more so when you consider its ability to reveal detail, micro detail, and I believe its this reason I pick up such larger differences. It does leave the question of whether spending big money on a source really benefits warmer or darker IEM / headphones to the same extent. 

I like my Pono player, but its not the end to all in my stable.

Makes sense that a more revealing headphone let's you hear more of what the Pono brings to the table...the Zen is great with the Pono (I've only heard it single ended, some have it balanced for the Pono, and love it!)

And, I just WISH the Pono was the end game for me...but, as the old standard goes, "if this isn't love, it'll have to do, until the real thing comes along...") :smiley:

Aug 28, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #30,122 of 99,913
My main limitation is size as I listen mostly in gym, thats why clip+ is still around, and xduoo is similar size. . Dx90 is on top end of size/weight for me.... Considering going back to colon j3, it would great if they updated that device

Aug 28, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #30,123 of 99,913
I believe Cowon has a new dap out, gotten good word of mouth, don't know how big it is, though.
Pono is not big, but had that odd toblerone shape, great in some situations, bad in others.

Aug 28, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #30,126 of 99,913
Haven't seen these mentioned...http://www.ultrasone-headphones.com/en/products/go/ultrasone-go

Ultrasone has a new 133gram portable that was announced last month. Not much notice in the portable forum it seems.

Ultrasone-GO-1.jpg

Looks a bit understated but handsome. Will it be a good entry in the $150 portable segment?

Aug 28, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #30,127 of 99,913
Can't help you with the X2, but the Xuelin 770C - while not being super slick functionality wise - is a damn sweet sounding and good looking DAP for around $100. 

Wow Wayne you got my attention. Can't believe I didint read about this awesome DAP before. I have dilemma now, either FiiO X1 or the 770C.

Aug 28, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #30,129 of 99,913
Aug 29, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #30,131 of 99,913
Not cheap...puerile seem to like it, though. Me, got my Pono working, have the Wave on order, covers New for a bit.

Aug 29, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #30,133 of 99,913
Not cheap...puerile seem to like it, though. Me, got my Pono working, have the Wave on order, covers New for a bit.

Does the pono sound just as good single ended? How easy is it to load songs on it, would it be drag and drop? I hate using proprietary software :/

It sounds great to me single ended, even better balanced, especially with hard to drive headphones. But I use it quite a bit single ended, most of my headphones are not balanced.
There is a music playing app, Ponomusicworld, which is basically a version of JRiver, which I use (have used JRiver for a while), but you can drag and drop, your computer will recognize the Pono and the memory card as external drives. You do need to use PMW when there is a firmware upgrade for the Pono, though, but you can ignore it if you prefer the rest of the time. I've loaded music both ways.

Aug 29, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #30,134 of 99,913
Balanced Pono is an improvement, mainly double the power output, but there is also some refinement gained in the sound, according to measurements when balanced Pono provides 5% more resolution and lower noise floor etc, but double the power output.

Aug 29, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #30,135 of 99,913
  Balanced Pono is an improvement, mainly double the power output, but there is also some refinement gained in the sound, according to measurements when balanced Pono provides 5% more resolution and lower noise floor etc, but double the power output.

What happens to the output impedance when you run Pono balanced?

Does it share the OI to both headphone outs, double it etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back