The discovery thread!
Aug 25, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #30,061 of 99,971
Aug 25, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #30,062 of 99,971
Duke sounds interesting...love the Zen and have listened to them quite a bit, really a revelation. However, they're having trouble competing for eat time right now, between the HE-1000 and the acs Encore. On vacation, plugging the acs into the Pono now, fail asleep to some high resolution Kinks...

You're dangerous doc. I'm already having a very tough time resisting the Pono largely due to you. The HE1K's are pricey enough for me that resistance is not entirely futile for them. But now you bring up some unknown "acs Encores"? When does it end lol!

HEHEHEHEHE!
The Encore is a custom iem, molds of ears needed and all that. They have this incredibly realistic portrayal of space and sour between instruments, different presentation than the HEK, but as canoeing in its way. And, they do sound GREAT out of the Pono (everyone should own a Pono imo :smiley:) . Not sure I'd go the custom rout again, though.

Aug 25, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #30,064 of 99,971
I'd like to get a Pono but I can never seem to find one on the cheap.

Subscribe to the Frys newsletter, they send promos and often have 1 day sales at $50 of, sometimes even $100 off (I think even as low as $249). I almost bought a second as a backup, but came to my senses before pulling the trigger. Have a bunch of good gear...I'd say 80-90% of the time I'm listening to my Pono (a lot of that is the portable nature of the thing...can bring it to bed, on dog walks, etc. Not chained to the PC or sweet spot in the living room. Both those are better sounding, but I don't miss them using the Pono. And, Got balanced cables for the HE-1000 from Norne, Pono in this set up sounds great (many feel the balanced mode is much of what makes it great...I'd agree, but most of my headphones aren't balanced, still love 'em out of the Pono).

Aug 25, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #30,065 of 99,971
First comparison no one wants! CKR9LTD vs. XBA-H1

I actually think the H1 might be better than it's given credit for - but it still can't keep up with the red CKR9s. It(the H1) is cooler in tone, with less bass, and yet it still isn't as clear or as natural sounding as the Audio Technicas. The latter are simply ace for Purity Ring(Push Pull, very fitting track, eh?)

Aug 25, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #30,068 of 99,971
Aug 25, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #30,070 of 99,971
Aug 25, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #30,072 of 99,971
Do you mean GT100? Can you provide me the link please?

Yes ofcourse, I'll edit my post.

I've only got my phone here but theres only 3-4 offerings if you search Aliexpress. If you buy through your phone you'll get $10 off on all orders over $69. Valid today only :wink:

Aug 25, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #30,075 of 99,971
Subscribe to the Frys newsletter, they send promos and often have 1 day sales at $50 of, sometimes even $100 off (I think even as low as $249). I almost bought a second as a backup, but came to my senses before pulling the trigger. Have a bunch of good gear...I'd say 80-90% of the time I'm listening to my Pono (a lot of that is the portable nature of the thing...can bring it to bed, on dog walks, etc. Not chained to the PC or sweet spot in the living room. Both those are better sounding, but I don't miss them using the Pono. And, Got balanced cables for the HE-1000 from Norne, Pono in this set up sounds great (many feel the balanced mode is much of what makes it great...I'd agree, but most of my headphones aren't balanced, still love 'em out of the Pono).

I'm waiting for you to get the Zens balanced so that you can torture me even more lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back