The discovery thread!
Dec 15, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #26,971 of 101,543
Thinksound or thinksound...

Thinksound or thinksoind...

One Costa 75, and the other double the price.

What should I order first?!

Eric, is the thinksound airier than the miktos? Does it have slightly better bite in instruments while being warm?

Since the mikros, to my ears (and no offense to the owners), is definitely closed sounding despite its soundstage compared to the msr7.

vlenbo the On1 I think is airier and fuller than the Mikros with definitely more bite. Thinksound is always going to give you very nice mids, but the bass is really nice and full in the On1. And more natural sounding than the Mikros. The highs aren't sacrificed, but aren't harsh. It's leaning on the warm side, but not super warm. Very detailed pleasant luke-warmest sound. The bass will definitely outshine the MSR7 (based on the way you described the bass in that headphone). Slam and impact, but not a basshead headphone.

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #26,972 of 101,543
And you are right, you're not going to find a woodie headphone at $150 that sounds as good as the On1. I can't think of one.

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #26,973 of 101,543

vlenbo the On1 I think is airier and fuller than the Mikros with definitely more bite. Thinksound is always going to give you very nice mids, but the bass is really nice and full in the On1. And more natural sounding than the Mikros. The highs aren't sacrificed, but aren't harsh. It's leaning on the warm side, but not super warm. Very detailed pleasant luke-warmest sound. The bass will definitely outshine the MSR7 (based on the way you described the bass in that headphone). Slam and impact, but not a basshead headphone.

Kind of how I hear the msr7s.

Then the On1 will be THE headphone for me. Thank you eric! I needed slam and impact, and I truly hope thinksound will make an over ear with the same qualities as the on1 without any changes to the sound except the soundstage.

The msr7 definitely needs that bass in order for me to enjoy it to the fullest. However, it is a very good headphone, one I think you should add to your future list of headphones when it becomes $200 in japan.

Thanks again, will sell my gear before the deal ends.

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #26,974 of 101,543

Then the On1 will be THE headphone for me. Thank you eric! I needed slam and impact, and I truly hope thinksound will make an over ear with the same qualities as the on1 without any changes to the sound except the soundstage.

The msr7 definitely needs that bass in order for me to enjoy it to the fullest. However, it is a very good headphone, one I think you should add to your future list of headphones when it becomes $200 in japan.

Since  you are on a subject of bass, how does MSR7 compares to CKR9, just in terms of bass quantity and quality?

Btw, MSR7 has been listed on AT US website (for $249) BUT it's not going to be available for sale in US until March of 2015 :frowning2:

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #26,975 of 101,543

Since  you are on a subject of bass, how does MSR7 compares to CKR9, just in terms of bass quantity and quality?

Btw, MSR7 has been listed on AT US website (for $249) BUT it's not going to be available for sale in US until March of 2015 :frowning2:

The ckr9's bass has enough quantity to sound like it's a basshead, but without actually being bass head quantity levels. 

Quality for quantity on the ckr9s are fantastic, as you are already aware of.

Now, the msr7's bass is definitely less than the ckr9. I would say it's on par with the im02, maybe the im03 if the bass on the im03 doesn't match the quantity of the ckr9's, which I somewhat doubt.

The quality, however, is satisfying as the im02's, which is tight, but could sound a little more full and thick. So it's like the bass of the im02, which isn't really lacking, but not as impressive as the ckr9s.

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #26,976 of 101,543
  The ckr9's bass has enough quantity to sound like it's a basshead, but without actually being bass head quantity levels. 

Quality for quantity on the ckr9s are fantastic, as you are already aware of.

Now, the msr7's bass is definitely less than the ckr9. I would say it's on par with the im02, maybe the im03 if the bass on the im03 doesn't match the quantity of the ckr9's, which I somewhat doubt.

The quality, however, is satisfying as the im02's, which is tight, but could sound a little more full and thick. So it's like the bass of the im02, which isn't really lacking, but not as impressive as the ckr9s.

Sounds like MSR7 has close to neutral bass quantity.  Hmm...  That will be a definitely good comparison against HP150 :wink:

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #26,977 of 101,543

Sounds like MSR7 has close to neutral bass quantity.  Hmm...  That will be a definitely good comparison against HP150 :wink:

Dang, the HP150s wouldn't have been the headphones for me if I knew about the msr7's true signature, but at least it would have saved me some money.

The treble on the msr7 can be edgy in some songs, even with good recordings.

For me, the treble finally controlled itself, but it can be painful to listen to sometimes.

I hope you will be able to review the msr7s before the delayed release date.

Dec 15, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #26,978 of 101,543
  Dang, the HP150s wouldn't have been the headphones for me if I knew about the msr7's true signature, but at least it would have saved me some money.

The treble on the msr7 can be edgy in some songs, even with good recordings.

For me, the treble finally controlled itself, but it can be painful to listen to sometimes.

I hope you will be able to review the msr7s before the delayed release date.

Just wanted to put it out there that both the HP100/200 have been discontinued and successor models will be coming. The 150 is meant for western markets only so not sure how that works but I wasn't able to order the 150 from china for that very reason. Just wanted to put it out there.

Dec 15, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #26,979 of 101,543

No problem vlenbo, but that sale will be a very short window tomorrow. How short, I don't know, but it will be short. 

Dec 15, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #26,980 of 101,543

Just wanted to put it out there that both the HP100/200 have been discontinued and successor models will be coming. The 150 is meant for western markets only so not sure how that works but I wasn't able to order the 150 from china for that very reason. Just wanted to put it out there.

Well that makes sense, can't wait for the newer iterations! Thanks for sharing.

Quote:

No problem vlenbo, but that sale will be a very short window tomorrow. How short, I don't know, but it will be short. 

That's unfortunate, guess i"ll have to reconsider getting the on1s and will just purchase the rain 2 instead.

Dec 15, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #26,982 of 101,543

HP100 has been discontinued and HP150 released and available since August :)  I have reviewed it and still using it.  It sounds like a more refined version of Havi B3 Pro I.  The only difference between HP100 and HP150 is a housing and slightly improved pads.  Driver and tuning are identical.  Also, carrying case was updated.

HP200 has been "updated" with exactly the same changes.  The same old driver, the same new case as HP150, though I'm not 100% sure about the housing yet.  They are not planning to change model number because of too much similarities, wondering if the housing will be the same?  Either way, I'm waiting to receive updated HP200 for review any week now.

Dec 15, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #26,983 of 101,543

HP100 has been discontinued and HP150 released and available since August :)  I have reviewed it and still using it.  It sounds like a more refined version of Havi B3 Pro I.  The only difference between HP100 and HP150 is a housing and slightly improved pads.  Driver and tuning are identical.  Also, carrying case was updated.

HP200 has been "updated" with exactly the same changes.  The same old driver, the same new case as HP150, though I'm not 100% sure about the housing yet.  They are not planning to change model number because of too much similarities, wondering if the housing will be the same?  Either way, I'm waiting to receive updated HP200 for review any week now.

Sweet, so the 150 is like a big bro to the B3p1. How is it for music listening? Or do you mostly use it for recording and monitoring? I can't seem to find any good places to look into purchasing it unfortunately. 

Dec 15, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #26,984 of 101,543

Sweet, so the 150 is like a big bro to the B3p1. How is it for music listening? Or do you mostly use it for recording and monitoring? I can't seem to find any good places to look into purchasing it unfortunately. 

Personally I prefer M50x for non-critical music listening, since I need my bass :)  HP150 is great as well, but more neutral.  I use it mostly with E10k.  Between M50x and HP150, M50x is more for fun listening while HP150 is more for recording/monitoring.  It's on Amazon for $178, but you are in Canada :frowning2:

Dec 15, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #26,985 of 101,543

Personally I prefer M50x for non-critical music listening, since I need my bass :)  HP150 is great as well, but more neutral.  I use it mostly with E10k.  Between M50x and HP150, M50x is more for fun listening while HP150 is more for recording/monitoring.  It's on Amazon for $178, but you are in Canada :frowning2:

Nah I just crossed em off my list too, since I need my bass too. I got a macbook a few days ago and I just realized my havi sounds better out of my laptop than the smsl m2. LOL didn't expect that turn of events. Now I need to get a real amp/dac damn. The M2 was better than my pos HP but I guess the macbook ain't all that bad

Edit:
Disregard what I was just wrote, properly A/Bed them and the M2 is better. Phew I thought I completely wasted my money there for a second haha. The M2 adds more air around the vocals I noticed and tightens up the bass quite a bit. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back