The discovery thread!
Dec 14, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #26,956 of 103,541
Whew!
Been away a few weeks and finally caught up on several hundred messages that I was behind. Y'all have been BUSY!

I saw that a few of you got quite a deal on Senn 598's on Black Friday. How are you likin' them? I just had mine on last night, for the first time in about 18 months. Spent a couple of hours enjoying them. SFWALCER, whacha think of yours?

DannyBai and Dsnuts, I'm still really enjoying these two pair of Brainwavez a LOT. The S1's sound really good... just wish they didn't have that firehose of a cable and we're a little easier to wear. I got some Comply tips on '' em, and that made a huge difference in the sound. The S5's, on the other hand, fit like a dream, even though I don't usually care for over-the-ear wear. And they sound oh so sweet. Might be my favorite of the two.

Those Rain2's sound very interesting. I' ll have to read up on them.

I keep waiting to see someone tossing out their FX850's for a ridiculously cheap price. Ain't happened yet. I don't understand it. ::D Guess I might have to read up more on the 650 & 750's.

Keep on listenin'!

Dec 14, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #26,957 of 103,541
(I must be living under some electronic voodoo curse, my HTC M8 died on me out of nowhere today, my Peachtree GrandPre preamp bit the dust a month ago or so, back to the factory twice already, sheeesh!!!)

sorry to hear you feel electronically cursed, doctor jazz.  don't take it personally.  stuff just dies.  bless the new ones when they appear
and avoid using them in the rain...... perhaps a new thread on electronic exorcism would be in order for head-fi though!  strange quantum
field chips that supposedly enhance digital circuits, etc, have passed through my lab, but none of them worked better than the
qtip or meditation, oops i almost typed medication, for enhancing audio neural circuits....  have faith in the electrons.....

Dec 14, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #26,958 of 103,541
(I must be living under some electronic voodoo curse, my HTC M8 died on me out of nowhere today, my Peachtree GrandPre preamp bit the dust a month ago or so, back to the factory twice already, sheeesh!!!)

sorry to hear you feel electronically cursed, doctor jazz.  don't take it personally.  stuff just dies.  bless the new ones when they appear
and avoid using them in the rain...... perhaps a new thread on electronic exorcism would be in order for head-fi though!  strange quantum
field chips that supposedly enhance digital circuits, etc, have passed through my lab, but none of them worked better than the
qtip or meditation, oops i almost typed medication, for enhancing audio neural circuits....  have faith in the electrons.....

I know it's not personal, though most folk do make silly generalizations, lump things together, make conspiracy theories, etc ("I'm not paranoid, they're really following me"). I do have to stop doing those rain dances with my electronics, though (looks pretty silly dancing with a Krell amp, anyway).
Speaking of blessed, went to a great show last night, Aimee Mann Christmas Show, bunch of guests, went with my wife and teen daughter and had a BLAST!!! (and I'm Jewish...). Guests included Suzanna Hoffs, of the Bangles (great voice, great Rock n' Roll moves, CUTE!!!) and Jonathan Coulter, who was also great. Not many shows left on the tour, 2 in Alexandria, Va, 1 in Ponte Vedra, Fla, really a lot of fun, worth seeing it you are near any of the last shows (she does it annually, so I'd keep it in mind for 2015). Didn't do tons of her own material (sad for me, good if you're not particularly a big fan, don't need to know her stuff to dig the show). AND, Jonathan Coultan played the song that I believe is in the pantheon of contenders for THE BEST SONG EVER WRITTEN!!!

AND, my children, it is available as a free download, from the Free Music Archive (Merry Christmas)

http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Jonathan_Coulton/JoCo_Looks_Back/Re_Your_Brains

And one from The Both (Aimee Mann/Ted Leo collaborative band) (haven't heard many choruses relate "it's a nucleus burning inside of a cell...")

You may have been right the first time, medication...I'm in the middle of frantic sale shopping spree, out of control (at least, my wife thinks so, subtly suggesting it's time for therapy...though, she's a therapist herself, I think she's just rustling up business for collegues. OCD wha?!! I ain't got no stinkin' obsessive compulsion disorder!!! I can stop buying whenever I want, really I can...)

Dec 14, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #26,959 of 103,541
Those Elecom things, the Hires ( gold and silver coloured models all brass housings far as I can tell- yuck red cable on the silvers ) just released and mentioned a couple pages back. I can't tell if this is a reverse firing or not. Maybe I forgot. At any rate the diagram here is odd trying to grasp it.
Sure a ring magnet, but:

# 1 -is this on a rear facing driver with that as the vent to the front off the back of the driver, OR
# 2 - most likely is that an additional front "keeper"/helper magnet like a couple of thier others ( models just prior to this in their Grandbass series ) use to  tighten up driver response and this is what the sound is sent through to the ears ( the ring magnet mounted in front of the driver )
Thinking # 2 is likely the case here. Like a bass lens /sound focus restrictor port as used in many other headphones to tune things up and acheive a bit better tightness. So there will be if I am correct, tightness from BOTH the extra front magnetic field to control the voice coil as well as the lens to tighten things up...

Another thing over there is there some industry standard that need to be met in Japan for that particular Hires tag/emblem?

Some decent reviews so far Amazon Japan on the 1000 series, the 2000 series I'm still looking at stuff.

E-earphone had this little blurb :
"The difference between "EHP-CH2000" of high-end models is the amount of bass. Towards the CH1000 is, we balanced the more full band. You can easily find favorite bass CH2000, I recommend the CH1000 If you choose in the balance."

Dec 14, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #26,960 of 103,541
Those Elecom things, the Hires ( gold and silver coloured models all brass housings far as I can tell- yuck red cable on the silvers ) just released and mentioned a couple pages back. I can't tell if this is a reverse firing or not. Maybe I forgot. At any rate the diagram here is odd trying to grasp it.
Sure a ring magnet, but:

# 1 -is this on a rear facing driver with that as the vent to the front off the back of the driver, OR
# 2 - most likely is that an additional front "keeper"/helper magnet like a couple of thier others ( models just prior to this in their Grandbass series ) use to  tighten up driver response and this is what the sound is sent through to the ears ( the ring magnet mounted in front of the driver )
Thinking # 2 is likely the case here. Like a bass lens /sound focus restrictor port as used in many other headphones to tune things up and acheive a bit better tightness. So there will be if I am correct, tightness from BOTH the extra front magnetic field to control the voice coil as well as the lens to tighten things up...

Another thing over there is there some industry standard that need to be met in Japan for that particular Hires tag/emblem?

Some decent reviews so far Amazon Japan on the 1000 series, the 2000 series I'm still looking at stuff.

E-earphone had this little blurb :
"The difference between "EHP-CH2000" of high-end models is the amount of bass. Towards the CH1000 is, we balanced the more full band. You can easily find favorite bass CH2000, I recommend the CH1000 If you choose in the balance."

These Elecom look nice. Reminds me of the CKR9.

Dec 15, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #26,962 of 103,541
I know it's not personal, though most folk do make silly generalizations, lump things together, make conspiracy theories, etc ("I'm not paranoid, they're really following me"). I do have to stop doing those rain dances with my electronics, though (looks pretty silly dancing with a Krell amp, anyway).
Speaking of blessed, went to a great show last night, Aimee Mann Christmas Show, bunch of guests, went with my wife and teen daughter and had a BLAST!!! (and I'm Jewish...). Guests included Suzanna Hoffs, of the Bangles (great voice, great Rock n' Roll moves, CUTE!!!) and Jonathan Coulter, who was also great. Not many shows left on the tour, 2 in Alexandria, Va, 1 in Ponte Vedra, Fla, really a lot of fun, worth seeing it you are near any of the last shows (she does it annually, so I'd keep it in mind for 2015). Didn't do tons of her own material (sad for me, good if you're not particularly a big fan, don't need to know her stuff to dig the show). AND, Jonathan Coultan played the song that I believe is in the pantheon of contenders for THE BEST SONG EVER WRITTEN!!!

AND, my children, it is available as a free download, from the Free Music Archive (Merry Christmas)

http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Jonathan_Coulton/JoCo_Looks_Back/Re_Your_Brains

And one from The Both (Aimee Mann/Ted Leo collaborative band) (haven't heard many choruses relate "it's a nucleus burning inside of a cell...")

You may have been right the first time, medication...I'm in the middle of frantic sale shopping spree, out of control (at least, my wife thinks so, subtly suggesting it's time for therapy...though, she's a therapist herself, I think she's just rustling up business for collegues. OCD wha?!! I ain't got no stinkin' obsessive compulsion disorder!!! I can stop buying whenever I want, really I can...)

THANKS for the download, great holiday song, cheery and positive!
Electronic Exoricism Thread being prepared, a little more voodoo to do...
and 13 step audioholics program being conceptualized by VISA and MasterSpend.
in the meantime, doctor jazz, don't buy anything until you finish this sentence......

Dec 15, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #26,963 of 103,541
A little birdie told me that the On1 will probably be discounted starting tomorrow at 9 a.m. (eastern time). I think the code will be ---> headfi0 ....

This should knock the On1 to $150. Do not sleep on that deal if it happens! And it probably won't be up for long, so you guys interested in the On1 better be ready (my favorite on-ear headphone). Oh yeah, Make sure you're on the sold by Thinksound page when buying off of amazon.com.

Dec 15, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #26,964 of 103,541
  A little birdie told me that the On1 will probably be discounted starting tomorrow at 9 a.m. (eastern time). I think the code will be ---> headfi0 ....

This should knock the On1 to $150. Do not sleep on that deal if it happens! And it probably won't be up for long, so you guys interested in the On1 better be ready (my favorite on-ear headphone). Oh yeah, Make sure you're on the sold by Thinksound page when buying off of amazon.com.

amazon.ca would be better! (for us aliens lol)

Dec 15, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #26,965 of 103,541
A little birdie told me that the On1 will probably be discounted starting tomorrow at 9 a.m. (eastern time). I think the code will be ---> [COLOR=373E4D]headfi0 ....

This should knock the On1 to $150. Do not sleep on that deal if it happens! And it probably won't be up for long, so you guys interested in the On1 better be ready (my favorite on-ear headphone). Oh yeah, Make sure you're on the sold by Thinksound page when buying off of amazon.com.[/COLOR]

Any chance of a repeat of the 50% off on the Rain2? That deal seemed to end early, and I missed it.
Thanks ericp10!

Dec 15, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #26,966 of 103,541
Apparently the Rain 2 deal is over, so it's the On1 for now. Gorgeous looking cans.

Dec 15, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #26,967 of 103,541
Thinksound or thinksound...

Thinksound or thinksoind...

One Costa 75, and the other double the price.

What should I order first?!

Eric, is the thinksound airier than the miktos? Does it have slightly better bite in instruments while being warm?

Since the mikros, to my ears (and no offense to the owners), is definitely closed sounding despite its soundstage compared to the msr7.

Dec 15, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #26,968 of 103,541
Thinksound or thinksound...

Thinksound or thinksoind...

One Costa 75, and the other double the price.

What should I order first?!

Eric, is the thinksound airier than the miktos? Does it have slightly better bite in instruments while being warm?

Since the mikros, to my ears (and no offense to the owners), is definitely closed sounding despite its soundstage compared to the msr7.

Just ordered the Rain2 for me.
Im really looking forward to them!

Dec 15, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #26,969 of 103,541
Just ordered the Rain2 for me.
Im really looking forward to them!

Your post just made my decision!

Unless I can sell my extra pair of the mikros90 headphone for around the same price the on1 is going for.

I hope you love them to bits Robert. Cheap and good quality woody headphones don't come around too often. 
beerchug.gif

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #26,970 of 103,541

Users who are viewing this thread

Back