The discovery thread!
Jan 15, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #19,201 of 106,517
Oh my god, have you guys ever went back to the earphones you use to listen to before you knew about the audiophile world? Almost all the various headphones that I bought from places like target and best buy(random Sony, Phillips, Pannies, etc.) sounds like a big musical mess with no refined sounds. Mids are recessed like hell, bloat everywhere, congestion, non resolving, shrilly highs. I'll make sure to remind myself to listen to any of these if I find myself not appreciating my current favorites(not even that much more expensive IM50s). My Monoprice iems even run circles around all of them.

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #19,203 of 106,517
Oh my god, have you guys ever went back to the earphones you use to listen to before you knew about the audiophile world? Almost all the various headphones that I bought from places like target and best buy(random Sony, Phillips, Pannies, etc.) sounds like a big musical mess with no refined sounds. Mids are recessed like hell, bloat everywhere, congestion, non resolving, shrilly highs. I'll make sure to remind myself to listen to any of these if I find myself not appreciating my current favorites(not even that much more expensive IM50s). My Monoprice iems even run circles around all of them.

Yup. Have you ever gone back and realized just how much money you blew in the process as well? lol If you're still here, it was worth it. 

which seller off taobao did you get them from? i think i might jump on them blind as well. it's a tough choice though for me between that and the fostex that's supposed to be out this month and then the aurisonics rockets that are out next month.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-Astrotec-AX35-HIFI-earphone-for-MP3-player-Mobile-Phones-in-ear-deep-bass-with/1612615607.html

This is the seller I got my Moxpad from (which I also think the Piston stomps on, and I really like these). Legit and ePacket ships extremely quick, usually to your door within 2 weeks. Probably cheaper than if you used Taobao forwarding too.

I was originally going to try the OM Audio Inearpeace hybrid, but since I feel that might be from an OEM we haven't found, and that I loves me some chinese audio discoveries (at half the price), I'll stick with the cause.

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #19,204 of 106,517
The first "hi-fi" earbuds I ever had were a pair of Kenwood's I got back in 1989-1990? They blew away the stock Sony headphones that came with my Walkman. I actually had a Samsung cassette player my folks got me in 1985 that was fantastic actually, and the stock headset were early earbuds with pads, and they were excellent. But not as good as the Kenwood. Then I owned nothing but cans ( mostly Sony and Panasonic), or Sony earbuds. until the day I walked in and bought some early Skullcandy IEM's from Sam Goody for $5.00 introductory price. I heard them, and ran back into the store to thank the clerk! To me they sounded like aural Heaven. That was in 2007. The problem then was they didn't sell tips like they do now, so if you lost the tips, then you were either schiit out of luck, or you bought a new pair of IEMs. The other problem was the Skullcandy in reality sounded like poop, but they were better than Sony earbuds. From there I worked my way up to Panasonic, Altec Lansing, Klipsch, then finally the Sennheiser CX300II, which I thought was the bees knees until I got the SOUL by Ludacris, and when they broke, the UE 500. I worked my way up to about 100 IEMS since.

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #19,205 of 106,517
  Yup. Have you ever gone back and realized just how much money you blew in the process as well? lol If you're still here, it was worth it. 

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-Astrotec-AX35-HIFI-earphone-for-MP3-player-Mobile-Phones-in-ear-deep-bass-with/1612615607.html

This is the seller I got my Moxpad from (which I also think the Piston stomps on, and I really like these). Legit and ePacket ships extremely quick, usually to your door within 2 weeks. Probably cheaper than if you used Taobao forwarding too.

I was originally going to try the OM Audio Inearpeace hybrid, but since I feel that might be from an OEM we haven't found, and that I loves me some chinese audio discoveries (at half the price), I'll stick with the cause.

thanks for the link. it's tempting to get these. maybe i could sell off my re-400's or give them to my brother and then get these as well as the fostex or the aurisonics.

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #19,206 of 106,517
  Someone said in this post a couple of days ago that we hype things up and then move on (insinuating we build things up and then realize the products aren't as good as we initially stated). I wanted to respond to that now. I think that statement couldn't be farthest from the truth. I think what actually happens is that if we hear something we really like, we write about here enthusiastically; share the changes we hear; share discoveries about the product; and then we move on into listening bliss. I mean there is really only so much you can say about a product where it cease to be a discovery. Either others like it like you do or they don't. It doesn't mean our opinion changed at all, we just exhausted what can be said about said product without getting repetitious, or we found something we like better (doesn't mean we stopped liking the other product).

That brings me to the CKN70. The CKN70 I own has about 100 hours of burn-in. This is what I hope the Pistons morph into. I haven't listened to the CKN70 in quite a long time. It sounds freakin awesome (better than the Pistons and CKN50, and more clarity than the DN900 with more bass). I never thought the CKN70 was a bad sounding earphone. So why I never mention it much or listen to it as much as my others? Like the CKN50, the cord can be a bit unruly with a mind of its own (and a j-cord at that). But sound-wise, it's one of the best under $150. If the Pistons reach the CKN70s (an AT for those who don't know) sound level, it will truly be an amazing cheap little iem. Okay, I'll try do the DN-1000 comparison tomorrow. Want some more time with the  Pistons.

Hmmm that doesn't sound that promising tbh of these  Pistons can't even best the CKN70s. Hope they will improve with more burn in.

I was hoping that those cheapo $10 KZ Micro Ring ATH CKN70 lookalikes would be able to hang is those real CKN70s already. LoL

Guess that as pretty delusional, but i will know by tomorrow since those Micro Rings will be finally in. WOOOOOO!!!

This is why I like doctorjazz, and all of his posts. Observant as well as well rounded with his impressions, without being overly sensitive. Mochill just got the Mikros and the Gratitudes. Looking forward to his take on them, hopefully without him frying the drivers?
smily_headphones1.gif

Are you sure about THAT???!!! ***Urkel voice***

Less focusing of hate on each other and more on the IEM love. We're all here for the same reason. We're the select few who love good audio and the whole discovery process. It's like the adult version of being a kid at Christmas. Dissenting opinions are welcome too, just focus on the IEM instead of other people. Helps keep things interesting and in check, because new toy syndrome affects us all at some point. If others disagree with you, who cares?

The 8320 actually did get me started into the hi-fi audio world, so a thread like this is too important to get shut down or to get people banned. Lots of other people probably got started the same way. I've come a long way into finally finding good audio equipment through this site and the help of everyone in head-fi. I would own 0 of these awesome IEMs without this thread.

If it sounds like I'm in a good mood, it's because I'm leaving for Vegas tonight for a bachelor party. If the Pistons survive it, it passes the build quality test.

Have fun meng, try not to go TOO crazy now.
wink.gif

You go, Masa' Walsa!

That post was asking for trouble...now I'm just gonna back away slowly, before I get suspected...and then RUN!
Nah, that ain't happenin'. But I'm really looking forward to ericp's impressions.

Yeppp we should RUN, lets move on from that topic now shall we. :)

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #19,207 of 106,517
OneCall has the Om audio Innerpeace headphones, well regarded by some (hybrid iem) for 20% off usual price of $149 with the code Jazzyjeff.

http://www.onecall.com/om-audio-inearpeace-black-in-ear-headphone-w-mic-and-remote-for-apple

Can't resist, don't actually have any hybrids in all the assorted ear paraphenalia/junk I've accumulated.

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #19,209 of 106,517
Let me throw in one other thing (because I know some are wondering who have the AT earphones). Is the IM70 better sounding than the CKN70? Yes! I'm doing a sneak comparison now. The dual dynamics are beating the micro-CNT .... Simply, the IM70 has a fuller, taller, and more detailed sound than the outstanding CKN70. All of these AT earphones are wonderful, and as Dsnuts, waynes world, sf, and DannyBai can all attest, I've never been a AT fanboy. I loved the JVC house sound more than the AT house sound. But that changed with the CKS1000, and then the CKN50, CKN70, and now the IM70. Happy listening.

That's something I wanted to know, thanks :smile:

How is the bass on the IM70 compared to the CKN70? Just deciding between the IM70 and the MA750 really.

I gather from your reply to me in the IM70 thread that the IM70 is slightly better than the MA750 SQ wise and the MA750 is slightly better than the IM70 build quality wise yes?

Jan 15, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #19,210 of 106,517
OneCall has the Om audio Innerpeace headphones, well regarded by some (hybrid iem) for 20% off usual price of $149 with the code Jazzyjeff.

http://www.onecall.com/om-audio-inearpeace-black-in-ear-headphone-w-mic-and-remote-for-apple

Can't resist, don't actually have any hybrids in all the assorted ear paraphenalia/junk I've accumulated.

Well done. You'll love this hybrid.

Jan 15, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #19,211 of 106,517
The Sony XBA H1 is also rather snazzy from my short audition. Smaller housing than the XBA 30 and 40, and about the same as the XBA 2

Jan 15, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #19,212 of 106,517
  What are those box headed ducks anyway? Some kinda cartoon toy?

^ Dats my sexy cardboard fool!!!

The less you know the better tbh.
triportsad.gif

... god i want to buy these BAD!!!

That GIF...so hilarious!
+1

Now wondering where you sourced this.

Oh you wanna know my sauces???

Dat Classic Flava' nuff said.
cool.gif

Jan 15, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #19,213 of 106,517
  ^ Dats my sexy cardboard fool!!!

The less you know the better tbh.
triportsad.gif

Oh you wanna know my sauces???

Dat Classic Flava' nuff said.
cool.gif

Well, like someone said somewhere at some time, "Less is More." I like your cardboard army there, Walcer. Gonna take over the (headphone) world with them? I want one of those lol.

Your sauce is Swagu Pasta Sauce???
My mom uses that same sauce!  XPNah, just kidding.

Jan 15, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #19,215 of 106,517
That's something I wanted to know, thanks :smile:

How is the bass on the IM70 compared to the CKN70? Just deciding between the IM70 and the MA750 really.

I gather from your reply to me in the IM70 thread that the IM70 is slightly better than the MA750 SQ wise and the MA750 is slightly better than the IM70 build quality wise yes?

More fuller bass in IM70, but nice bass in Ckn70. And true about sound vs build of 750 and 70. Not saying the 70 isn't built well though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back