The discovery thread!
Jan 15, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #19,186 of 106,535
Listening to Pistons through the Fiio E10... It performs decently through it without having to turn it up too much. So first A/B is against the Dunu DN-900. In all fairness, the DN900 has about 15 hours burn-in on it. Pistons has more bass and a bit more extension in the highs, but DN-900 has more clarity. Pistons may, however, have a wider soundstage (not by that much). I can tell the Pistons are going to open more than where it is, so if my suspicions are correct, these two will be neck and neck almost in sound quality. Now, the DN-900 are tuned to be smoother and more mids focused (I'm hearing a lot of details in keys, horns, and guitars), so it may still have the edge. I think, however, these two will be mighty close in SQ. By the way, I was right, I think Pistons' body is a tad bit smaller than the DN-900, but they are about the same size. 

Jan 15, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #19,187 of 106,535
^ BOOOOOOO!!!

i was certain i have a MASSIVE following, but i guess i am just a giant in my own mind. A figure of my own imagination.

Oh well i can ALWAYS just create my own army of cardboard followers. : P

What are those box headed ducks anyway? Some kinda cartoon toy?

Jan 15, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #19,188 of 106,535
What about the Piston vs DUNU DN-1000, eric?

Jan 15, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #19,189 of 106,535
Okay, next up is the CKN50 and the Pistons.

I'll get to the DN-1000 eventually.

Jan 15, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #19,190 of 106,535
With no burn-in really on the Pistons, the CKN50 (about 80 hours burn-in) is about the closest in sound signatures between the two. Pistons bass is still more boomy and bloated (I expect it to calm down). CKN50 has an edge in vocals, but other than that both are about equal in mids. Somewhat more clarity in the CKN50's sounds. Love the drums in both. Both have good air around the instruments. So for those who are curious what the Pistons sound like, it's close - to my ears - to the CKN50. About to try the CKN70 now. Again, I expect more performance and clarity out of the Piston with burn-in. Okay, let's see how those carbon nanotubes stack up against the pistons. 

Jan 15, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #19,191 of 106,535
Someone said in this post a couple of days ago that we hype things up and then move on (insinuating we build things up and then realize the products aren't as good as we initially stated). I wanted to respond to that now. I think that statement couldn't be farthest from the truth. I think what actually happens is that if we hear something we really like, we write about here enthusiastically; share the changes we hear; share discoveries about the product; and then we move on into listening bliss. I mean there is really only so much you can say about a product where it cease to be a discovery. Either others like it like you do or they don't. It doesn't mean our opinion changed at all, we just exhausted what can be said about said product without getting repetitious, or we found something we like better (doesn't mean we stopped liking the other product).

That brings me to the CKN70. The CKN70 I own has about 100 hours of burn-in. This is what I hope the Pistons morph into. I haven't listened to the CKN70 in quite a long time. It sounds freakin awesome (better than the Pistons and CKN50, and more clarity than the DN900 with more bass). I never thought the CKN70 was a bad sounding earphone. So why I never mention it much or listen to it as much as my others? Like the CKN50, the cord can be a bit unruly with a mind of its own (and a j-cord at that). But sound-wise, it's one of the best under $150. If the Pistons reach the CKN70s (an AT for those who don't know) sound level, it will truly be an amazing cheap little iem. Okay, I'll try do the DN-1000 comparison tomorrow. Want some more time with the  Pistons.

Jan 15, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #19,192 of 106,535

SERIOUS listening with 3 days worth burned in Pistons:  very nice, a bit bright and bass still boomy.  probably needs lots more burn in, but a steal for the price indeed. but
not high end audio even though pleasing...my m200s blow them out of the water in all frequency ranges, and Onkyos hd300s also superior. i agree,  Kefs still the master ism under 200
iMO.  Pistons now down to 15.00 w free shipping on ebay.  look authentic, new version. such a deal!  Gratitudes though are magic for 60$ if you like the sound signature.  i haven't heard the
H3s or im02s, but the mdr7550s when on sale for 189.00 (as they are now and then) are still my champion for a flat monitor earphone...........

Thank you drblue. A voice of reason.

1+
I have to say, and have before, that I had the same problems with the KEF (first fit, then, when I got them to stay in, the Left side went out on me). It doesn't make them bad sounding, did like them the short time I could listen to them, but I've also seen more than 1 post about quality problems.
Onkyos are really nice iems, also said this before, but I don't think they get enough love around here, FOTM for a very short while (not close to the ink shed on the Pistons...I'm burning these, along with my replacement Gratitudes, like them, great buy for the price.
Mikros 90-great buy, period, not just for the price. Take the discount into account, really a steal.
May go for the mdr 7550s, the good doctor has good ears...

Just have fun, folks, "it's only Rock n' Roll, but I like it..."

Jan 15, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #19,194 of 106,535
1+
I have to say, and have before, that I had the same problems with the KEF (first fit, then, when I got them to stay in, the Left side went out on me). It doesn't make them bad sounding, did like them the short time I could listen to them, but I've also seen more than 1 post about quality problems.

Yup. It is a shame that you and others had problems with the drivers dying. When I got mine, I was only expecting to not be able to get a good fit and seal (but fortunately I was able to). I would be somewhat choked if one of the drivers failed, because I don`t think that I would be able to get compensated. So that is something that people need to keep in mind for sure.

Jan 15, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #19,195 of 106,535
This is why I like doctorjazz, and all of his posts. Observant as well as well rounded with his impressions, without being overly sensitive. Mochill just got the Mikros and the Gratitudes. Looking forward to his take on them, hopefully without him frying the drivers? :)

Jan 15, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #19,196 of 106,535
Less focusing of hate on each other and more on the IEM love. We're all here for the same reason. We're the select few who love good audio and the whole discovery process. It's like the adult version of being a kid at Christmas. Dissenting opinions are welcome too, just focus on the IEM instead of other people. Helps keep things interesting and in check, because new toy syndrome affects us all at some point. If others disagree with you, who cares?

The 8320 actually did get me started into the hi-fi audio world, so a thread like this is too important to get shut down or to get people banned. Lots of other people probably got started the same way. I've come a long way into finally finding good audio equipment through this site and the help of everyone in head-fi. I would own 0 of these awesome IEMs without this thread.

If it sounds like I'm in a good mood, it's because I'm leaving for Vegas tonight for a bachelor party. If the Pistons survive it, it passes the build quality test.

Jan 15, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #19,198 of 106,535
  Like i be saying just lookin' out for you and no one is trying to stop or change you. It's just your crazy @ss repetitive/ random consecutive posts and the way you blow up due to small constructive criticism is what everyone is having problems with. The way you went about in the Delta Thread i was VERY surprised you didn't get locked out tbh.

Case in point....

.... the hell man are you LITERALLY asking to get locked out/ banned or something. Your post above is exactly what i am talking about. Some people never learn sheeeesh.
rolleyes.gif

Have some respect for others in this thread cuz posting 'ish like that gets you no fans/ support and is only doing yourself as disservices.

Forum Post Etiquette nuff said. 
deadhorse.gif
Cuz this thread can take A LOT of BS an exemplified with all my troll efforts but there are limits meng. Just saying...... 

You go, Masa' Walsa!

That post was asking for trouble...now I'm just gonna back away slowly, before I get suspected...and then RUN!
Nah, that ain't happenin'. But I'm really looking forward to ericp's impressions.

Jan 15, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #19,199 of 106,535
Be safe and have a great time in Vegas. Safe travel as well to you.

Jan 15, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #19,200 of 106,535
Let me throw in one other thing (because I know some are wondering who have the AT earphones). Is the IM70 better sounding than the CKN70? Yes! I'm doing a sneak comparison now. The dual dynamics are beating the micro-CNT .... Simply, the IM70 has a fuller, taller, and more detailed sound than the outstanding CKN70. All of these AT earphones are wonderful, and as Dsnuts, waynes world, sf, and DannyBai can all attest, I've never been a AT fanboy. I loved the JVC house sound more than the AT house sound. But that changed with the CKS1000, and then the CKN50, CKN70, and now the IM70. Happy listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back