The discovery thread!
Oct 11, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #33,871 of 101,289
So you try the tip mod? Throw a small silicone backwards onto the shaft of the EDC. Then throw on a Spiral Dot or something with a much larger bore onto the now thicker nozzle of the EDC. Give it a try. Sound should open up for you. I thought they were a bit too mid bassy and treble gimpy using stock tips. This changes them to a much more balanced sound. Oh and don't forget to amp them when you get a chance.

uLZhraNED2qoScWrzq801ha5bI1LYYsge4kKbFoCFrrPk4zN6FHFcUjv_dGT8B-EO-KLoJb95XzbZL-fklWRcteU8a7AbU7hB0lWY5ufOXDbX51UfCQyj8RcSUrfNWOOCqDm4ZYM

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #33,872 of 101,289
got my 11-11 list winnowed down to:
pioneer se-ch9t (still waiting for them to drop under a hundo, on general principle)
savra red (got a hunch--could be the dark horse here)
tin audio t2 (great reviews from trusted compadres like scrambler et. al., but not sure about isolation/ease of driving)
dm5 (likewise).

Oct 11, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #33,875 of 101,289
Bro , what do you think of mass drop plus? It’s quitr hype right now

Don't know anything about them. I am sure they sound nice as they have some good knowledge of what sounds right. However at $300 that is a lot to pay for an unknown item that MD came up with. It could be a standout iem but will have to see when people get theirs how they are. I trust a lot of the people doing the reviews for them but for now I am happy with the $65 wonder that is my DM5.

@Dsnuts I did try the tip mod but I'm not going to judge them based on my poor first attempt, haha. Going to have to fiddle around with that a bit more. I'm quite liking them paired with Brainwavz B series tips. More flexible silicone and a slighty wider bore. Mild boost in treble and more comfortable.

The reason why you want to use the stock silicone tips for that reverse mod. Take a look at the stem of the stock tip. When put in reverse it creates a cone that funnels all the sound into your ears. It is quite unique to those stock silicones. The EDC takes some messing with but once you get them humming with the right power and tip going on. They will sound right.

I am wondering if they made a few changes for the final product. I know they put on the .78mm 2 pins which makes sense but I am wondering if they messed with the sound a touch from the review model.

Oct 11, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #33,876 of 101,289
@Dsnuts I tried it with the stock smalls and JVC's FXT90 tips. They didn't work well together to say the least. Got some others I'll try out later though. I hope they wouldn't have changed the sound for the release version. Would have made those earlier reviews somewhat moot. Still happy with them as is though. :)

Oct 11, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #33,877 of 101,289
Stock JVC tips are a bit different. I use JVC Spiral Dots is what I use on them. It has to be a wider nozzle tip. Something like a UE tip might work as well. I know those have a wider nozzle.

Hmm I suppose they aren't terrible as is but the difference in using a wider bore to fit over that narrow nozzle makes for one of the bigger changes for the better on them EDCs. I know DannyBai got his and has been doing that tip mod. It is tough to go back to stock tips once you try that out. It sounds like a more mature sounding product vs stock configuration.

Oh wait.. You got them white wider bored silicones that came with the DM5? Try using that. I just tried it and it fits very nicely. Also tried my UE tips which fit on them as well.

Oct 11, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #33,878 of 101,289
@Dsnuts I tried it with the stock smalls and JVC's FXT90 tips. They didn't work well together to say the least. Got some others I'll try out later though. I hope they wouldn't have changed the sound for the release version. Would have made those earlier reviews somewhat moot. Still happy with them as is though. :)

I sure hope for the opposite, though MD mentioned I got one of the defective pairs (which a few others got as well, though I heard from someone else who got a replacement and it didn't sound too different). Whatever i received during the time of the release didn't sound too good to my ears. I just gave MD a benefit of a doubt that it was a defective pair; that was a reason why I didn't even bother talking about it before.

Oct 13, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #33,879 of 101,289
This is a solid read on the new Mee audio P2 if anyone is interested. https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/me...-audiophile-in-ear.22701/reviews#review-19309

On a side note for guys that don't know. Shangling has recalled all the initial batches of M3s players. So I am about pack my new player back in the box and send it on it's merry way back to MusicTech.

Supposed bluetooth issues. In any case. Love the sound of this thing and I was just getting started to really dig into it's abilities.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #33,880 of 101,289
This is a solid read on the new Mee audio P2 if anyone is interested. https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/me...-audiophile-in-ear.22701/reviews#review-19309

On a side note for guys that don't know. Shangling has recalled all the initial batches of M3s players. So I am about pack my new player back in the box and send it on it's merry way back to MusicTech.

Supposed bluetooth issues. In any case. Love the sound of this thing and I was just getting started to really dig into it's abilities.

You know, it's not a goodbye forever :wink: I'm sure Shanling will straighten things out soon.

Oct 13, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #33,882 of 101,289

yes, so sad, cause mine was just beginning to sound primo, no notice on whether they are fixing the players or sending out updated ones with new circuits..

Oct 13, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #33,883 of 101,289
@Dsnuts I was just checking out the DM5 and there are six colour combinations apparently. Which one did you opt for?

Oct 14, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #33,885 of 101,289
Yes the red bronze and i realised the 6 options were for the cables that are included. My bad. But the red ones are new to the stable i suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back