The discovery thread!
Oct 16, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #33,901 of 100,061
I have a $30 balanced cable I bought off of Amazon and that $60 one. Both are excellent but the $60 one I posted on that link is a higher end cable for certain. has better resolution and slight airier sound. Has much more silver content to the coating as there seems to be more and thicker cores to the cable. I don't have that cheaper $15 one to compare it to but I would imagine it does the job. Might have to try out that $15 cable. Can't have enough balanced cables.

Btw.....are you hearing a significant difference in SQ on the X5iii in balanced vs. SE? Maybe I need to play with different cables.

Oct 16, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #33,902 of 100,061
Balanced out of the X5iii is noticeable but not like it is on my pono or ibasso PB3 amp or the new Shanling M3 for that matter. It is a weaker implementation of balanced vs the other units I posted here. I noticed neutrally tuned earphones do well in balanced like the Pinnacle P1 or PX and the Tin Audio T2 does well in balanced as well. DM5 while not as neutrally tuned as the others mentioned here does very nicely in balanced.

Some earphones just don't sound good in balanced which is weird. You would figure the FX850 would be a good one to go balanced with since it is one of the more spacious sounding earphones but it sounds completely off using it in balanced. Same with the Primo 8.

Oct 16, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #33,904 of 100,061
Aha got you. Interesting observation with this hybrid cable. Makes my DM5 sound more neutral in tone than any other cable I have used.

Pure copper gives the best bass and fullness of sound. The hybrid copper/ silver gives more extension to treble and more precise imagery, tightens the bass end a bit too which brings the tone of the DM5 to a more neutral type sound.

@neuromancer which iem you using with your X5iii?

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #33,905 of 100,061
Unit Price:US $64.99 / pieceView product detail
  • Better image of the new red bronze color. Me like!!
So I was walking around with my DM5 in my ears with some complys. I have to say these isolate better than I initialy thought. I went in a busy Target shop and I couldn't hear anything but my music. Complys are working well on these. Especially for a bit of added isoaltion.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #33,906 of 100,061
Balanced out of the X5iii is noticeable but not like it is on my pono or ibasso PB3 amp or the new Shanling M3 for that matter. It is a weaker implementation of balanced vs the other units I posted here. I noticed neutrally tuned earphones do well in balanced like the Pinnacle P1 or PX and the Tin Audio T2 does well in balanced as well. DM5 while not as neutrally tuned as the others mentioned here does very nicely in balanced.

Some earphones just don't sound good in balanced which is weird. You would figure the FX850 would be a good one to go balanced with since it is one of the more spacious sounding earphones but it sounds completely off using it in balanced. Same with the Primo 8.

That's what I thought. I have a Pono that I should pull out and actually try the balanced......it's just that you seem to need yet another special cable for it. I'll try comparing the new B400 in balanced vs SE on the X5iii and see what gives. Any good recommendations for a balanced pono cable?

Oct 16, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #33,907 of 100,061
So I was walking around with my DM5 in my ears with some complys. I have to say these isolate better than I initialy thought. I went in a busy Target shop and I couldn't hear anything but my music. Complys are working well on these. Especially for a bit of added isoaltion.

You were caught on video enjoying your DM5's :)

http://img14.laughinggif.com/pic/HT...yX2dyb2Nlcnktc3RvcmUtZGFuY2luZy1jb3cuZ2lm.gif

edit1: that gif was too annoying so I replaced it with a link. Where's the "spoiler" feature when you need it lol

edit2: I just figured out how to do a spoiler in the new site. Yay:
HTTP2NkbjEudGhlb2R5c3NleW9ubGluZS5jb20vZmlsZXMvMjAxNi8wMi8xOS82MzU5MTQ1Njk0NDc4NTgwNTUxNzQ5NTM2MDUyX2dyb2Nlcnktc3RvcmUtZGFuY2luZy1jb3cuZ2lm.gif

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #33,909 of 100,061
That's what I thought. I have a Pono that I should pull out and actually try the balanced......it's just that you seem to need yet another special cable for it. I'll try comparing the new B400 in balanced vs SE on the X5iii and see what gives. Any good recommendations for a balanced pono cable?

Try this out and you should be able to connect your 2.5mm balanced cable to this to use on the pono. http://www.ebay.com/itm/AW-Audio-PO...647381?hash=item464f547b55:g:lJYAAOSwnFZXV7Nt

Oct 16, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #33,914 of 100,061
Curious about this adapter as well, have Pono balanced to single ended adapters, Mini 2.5 mm balanced to unbalanced adapter, an XLR balanced adapter to Pono balanced adapter, but no 2.5 mm balanced to Pono balanced adapter (see what I mean about keeping track of cables /adapters?). Put in the order at eBay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back