The discovery thread!
Jun 27, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #36,901 of 99,938
Jun 27, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #36,902 of 99,938
herewith my thoughts on the hisenior b5+, a 5ba unit which costs $100-160 based on shell and cable:

1. packaging and accessories are rudimentary--this is scarcely the orgiastic unboxing experience of say, rha or trinity--the earpieces arrive in a plastic bag with the cable and a variety of tips.

2. the stock memory cable is maddeningly inflexible and awkward to use; odd-angled nozzles make fit a bit finicky, although comfort is good and isolation above-average.

3. build is unflashy but solid, with good quality acrylics. the clear, logo-less unit (which i bought) looks like a diy project and is singularly unattractive; the black and red/blue units seem more attractive.

4. as noted by hungrypanda, the b5 is extremely tip-sensitive--foams flatten the presentation and remove the already dialed-down bass, while shallow, larger silicons seem to provide the best seal and detail level.

5. their seeming high sensitivity notwithstanding, the b5 benefits greatly from amping and will sound anemic from lower-power sources.

6. soundwise, these are slightly bright, energetic and neutrally-tuned with some emphasis on a very extended highend. note texture is about average. these lack much subbass impact or depth, although midbass is well-chiseled and quick; i keep thinking these would have been better tuned with a more visceral lowend. mids are forward and extremely clear; vocals and strings sound very natural and engaging. highs are sparkly and very detailed, free of shrillness and siblilance; drums and cymbals sound especially lifelike. as a result, these are quite unforgiving of poor-quality recordings--nothing is smoothed over and bad productions sound bad.

7. soundstage is very wide, albeit with limited height; stereo separation and instrument placement are very precise. these do not congest in complex passages and tend to sound their best with orchestral, jazz or acoustic fare and not as engaging with heaviosity.

8. compared to my previous $100 benchmark, the it01, the b5 is less expansive-sounding, bassy and physical, but much more transparent and detailed at the treble spectrum--the it01 sound blunter and less revealing in comparison. compared to their obvious target, the ue900s ($350, but often available for $179), the b5 is more energetic, brighter and presents more highend shimmer and detail; the ue900s has more bass depth, a more holographic stage and is less colored overall; the ue900s is overall superior in the sense of being a more precise reproduction of the music, though not necessarily more enjoyable. the shure se535 likewise has a bigger stage, much more bass quantity and richer mids, but is otherwise inferior to the b5 in every sense, with comparatively monotonic low end and less treble detail.

9. these are clearly tuned to mimic the flat, revealing presentation of "audiophile" ciems, and on such terms they do very well. i'd like them more with a bit more oomph, but am still fiddling with source/tips and will update as warranted.

i'll post this on the chinese thread as well. thanks for reading.

8. ery

Jun 27, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #36,903 of 99,938
herewith my thoughts on the hisenior b5+, a 5ba unit which costs $100-160 based on shell and cable:

1. packaging and accessories are rudimentary--this is scarcely the orgiastic unboxing experience of say, rha or trinity--the earpieces arrive in a plastic bag with the cable and a variety of tips.

2. the stock memory cable is maddeningly inflexible and awkward to use; odd-angled nozzles make fit a bit finicky, although comfort is good and isolation above-average.

3. build is unflashy but solid, with good quality acrylics. the clear, logo-less unit (which i bought) looks like a diy project and is singularly unattractive; the black and red/blue units seem more attractive.

4. as noted by hungrypanda, the b5 is extremely tip-sensitive--foams flatten the presentation and remove the already dialed-down bass, while shallow, larger silicons seem to provide the best seal and detail level.

5. their seeming high sensitivity notwithstanding, the b5 benefits greatly from amping and will sound anemic from lower-power sources.

6. soundwise, these are slightly bright, energetic and neutrally-tuned with some emphasis on a very extended highend. note texture is about average. these lack much subbass impact or depth, although midbass is well-chiseled and quick; i keep thinking these would have been better tuned with a more visceral lowend. mids are forward and extremely clear; vocals and strings sound very natural and engaging. highs are sparkly and very detailed, free of shrillness and siblilance; drums and cymbals sound especially lifelike. as a result, these are quite unforgiving of poor-quality recordings--nothing is smoothed over and bad productions sound bad.

7. soundstage is very wide, albeit with limited height; stereo separation and instrument placement are very precise. these do not congest in complex passages and tend to sound their best with orchestral, jazz or acoustic fare and not as engaging with heaviosity.

8. compared to my previous $100 benchmark, the it01, the b5 is less expansive-sounding, bassy and physical, but much more transparent and detailed at the treble spectrum--the it01 sound blunter and less revealing in comparison. compared to their obvious target, the ue900s ($350, but often available for $179), the b5 is more energetic, brighter and presents more highend shimmer and detail; the ue900s has more bass depth, a more holographic stage and is less colored overall; the ue900s is overall superior in the sense of being a more precise reproduction of the music, though not necessarily more enjoyable. the shure se535 likewise has a bigger stage, much more bass quantity and richer mids, but is otherwise inferior to the b5 in every sense, with comparatively monotonic low end and less treble detail.

9. these are clearly tuned to mimic the flat, revealing presentation of "audiophile" ciems, and on such terms they do very well. i'd like them more with a bit more oomph, but am still fiddling with source/tips and will update as warranted.

i'll post this on the chinese thread as well. thanks for reading.

8. ery

Took me a while to adjust to the flat signature, afterward I couldn't listen to "colored" IEms anymore, or better said, I always return to the B8 since the Mids, Clarity and Soundtage are outstanding to me. But Ye, thankfully I can always add just a bit of bass if needed, but I usually listen to them as they are alongside my Dolby Atmos Music mode. :)

Jun 27, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #36,904 of 99,938
What is the difference between the DT300 and the DT300 Pros anyway? Have owned the DT300 for a few months now and looking to sell them locally lol. The sound is good but I'd prefer something not solely BA. If I can sell them off will probably buy something similarly shaped but with a DD. Maybe Magaosi Y3 or something similar.

They fit me better than the shure models. Not a huge difference, I think both fit extremely well. Disliked all the normal tips though, ended up getting spinfits. Would prefer not but options for the thin "shure" sized nozzles are limited.
You can try the Westone star-tips. They were the only good ones for my SE846, spinfits and included tips were all bad for me.

Jun 27, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #36,906 of 99,938
So this is interesting. I just put my HK6 against my IT01 to see how close they are for mid bass emphaisis. Just as I thought. The mid bass on both units are very identical in emphaisis.

This a good way to see if your HK6 has the increase in mid bass from what is normal. Well that is if you own the IT01. Your HK6 should not have any more emphasis in fact it is the IT01 that has slightly more mid bass over the HK6 and I mean slight. It will be hard to figure out if your HK6 mid bass has more emphasis over the IT01. I carefully matched volumes and both earphones are using the same cable as well. I used a single track Pinky Floyd the wall part two. In the beginning of the track there is a low bass guitar line that twangs when the tune starts. You can judge how much mid bass you have by how much emphasis you are hearing relative to the vocals. The difference between the IT01 and HK6 is not much different if at all.

This was the same track I used to compare my HK6 to Bhazards HK6 and there was a immedate diference between the two. With the IT01 very identical in mid bass emphasis. Of course the IT01 has the better sub bass but for mid bass. Pretty much the same.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #36,909 of 99,938
Ya my DZ12 has that sub bass the HK6 is missing. Will be interesting to see how the HK8 does subbass. NicHCK is considering trying out a hybrid for the HK6 so we will see.
Maybe they will let HK6 owners send back to trade up for a Hybrid :D

Jun 27, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #36,911 of 99,938
I'd like to know about the isolation and fit as well please?
Fit is excellent, I love these bean shaped iems. Isolation as quite good but not as good as really big shells

Jun 28, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #36,913 of 99,938
I think the Fiio FH5 seems to be very interesting, and it looks outstanding. Bad guy, good audio has put up a unboxing video on youtube. I am considering to sell my beloved jays q jays anniversary edition for this as I want a more bassy iem. :)

Jun 28, 2018 at 11:34 PM Post #36,914 of 99,938
So a bit of an update on the tale of the two HK6s.

I just sat in front of my burn in station I have in my basement. Been burning in Bhazards HK6 nonstop with my burn in tracks medium volumes ever since I got it on Monday.

His brutal mid bass is now gone. I can't tell the difference between his pair and my pair. My burn in station uses my old Audinst MX2 which I kept around simply due to the 2 headphone jacks on the front. Easy for comparing phones with and I used it to compare mine and Bhazards HK6. If I didn't put tape on the cable of my pair I would have a very difficult time trying to figure out which one is mine and which one is his.

I even put the right of his with the left of mine. It sounds exactly the same now. No more crazy mid bass. I will continue to burn in his HK6 over this weekend for good measure but now I know what is up with the HK6.

This is not a QC issue at all. Guys that feel they have too much mid bass. Go find some quick beat driven drum n bass. You can find online stations that have it for free streaming. Beat the poo out of the HK6. The key is not to do this with high volumes like you would with dynamics. Moderate volumes it fine. And let it play and play some more.

I am 100% certain when I send back Bhazards HK6. He is going to be surprised.

Here use this.. http://bassdrive.com/pop-up/

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #36,915 of 99,938
A bit of clarity on the pricing of the DT300 pros. The headfier code will lower the price to $89. Still a very compelling price.

I thought I was going to be getting mine but it looks like it is taking longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back