The discovery thread!
Jun 29, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #36,916 of 101,027
So a bit of an update on the tale of the two HK6s.

I just sat in front of my burn in station I have in my basement. Been burning in Bhazards HK6 nonstop with my burn in tracks medium volumes ever since I got it on Monday.

His brutal mid bass is now gone. I can't tell the difference between his pair and my pair. My burn in station uses my old Audinst MX2 which I kept around simply due to the 2 headphone jacks on the front. Easy for comparing phones with and I used it to compare mine and Bhazards HK6. If I didn't put tape on the cable of my pair I would have a very difficult time trying to figure out which one is mine and which one is his.

I even put the right of his with the left of mine. It sounds exactly the same now. No more crazy mid bass. I will continue to burn in his HK6 over this weekend for good measure but now I know what is up with the HK6.

This is not a QC issue at all. Guys that feel they have too much mid bass. Go find some quick beat driven drum n bass. You can find online stations that have it for free streaming. Beat the poo out of the HK6. The key is not to do this with high volumes like you would with dynamics. Moderate volumes it fine. And let it play and play some more.

I am 100% certain when I send back Bhazards HK6. He is going to be surprised.

Here use this.. http://bassdrive.com/pop-up/

I thought it might be something like that, tbh... mine took 350 hours to be tamed :) (14 days or so, non-stop, but on the Jlab burn in track, not something bass-focused like you picked)

It also chimes with your own experience with the DZ12, seems to me... looks like some/many of HCK's earphones may be very "raw", when delivered... probably especially so if particularly popular (like the HK6 were very likely to be, after your first discovery), or very new or high end (since they're probably assembled on the spot).

Jun 29, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #36,917 of 101,027
Jesus. Yes, this is how I have to start my message.

I was just chilling, enjoying my B8 as usual. Then I remembered that Mr. HungryPanda mentioned he is using the shallow silicone tips. Just for funsies, I tried them, I usually don't apply silicon tips since bass suffered every time so far as well as comfort.

Wow. Not in this case, not at all... Okay, comfort is not as good, but the sound improved so much!! ESPECIALLY the bass response! I called them bass light in the beginning, took that back after burn-in, was completely satisfied with them, but now the sound is just, more full, it has more bass, just enough that they sound so good now that I cannot imagine how the T12U will top that, I really can't.

Overall, I don't think it's about the type of material used for the tip at all, but rather the proximity to the ear-drum, in this case, it's closer. Treble, while never piercing or sibilant at all is also slightly toned down just enough that I'm in awe about the overall signature now. Just crazy. HungryPanda, I love ya.

The person who will buy them will get a FAT REMINDER that tip selection matters soooo much. I love em, it'll be even harder to let go of them now.

Jun 29, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #36,918 of 101,027
Jesus. Yes, this is how I have to start my message.

I was just chilling, enjoying my B8 as usual. Then I remembered that Mr. HungryPanda mentioned he is using the shallow silicone tips. Just for funsies, I tried them, I usually don't apply silicon tips since bass suffered every time so far as well as comfort.

Wow. Not in this case, not at all... Okay, comfort is not as good, but the sound improved so much!! ESPECIALLY the bass response! I called them bass light in the beginning, took that back after burn-in, was completely satisfied with them, but now the sound is just, more full, it has more bass, just enough that they sound so good now that I cannot imagine how the T12U will top that, I really can't.

Overall, I don't think it's about the type of material used for the tip at all, but rather the proximity to the ear-drum, in this case, it's closer. Treble, while never piercing or sibilant at all is also slightly toned down just enough that I'm in awe about the overall signature now. Just crazy. HungryPanda, I love ya.

The person who will buy them will get a FAT REMINDER that tip selection matters soooo much. I love em, it'll be even harder to let go of them now.
can you post a photo of the tips you're using? thanks

Jun 29, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #36,920 of 101,027
Jun 29, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #36,921 of 101,027
So a bit of an update on the tale of the two HK6s.

I just sat in front of my burn in station I have in my basement. Been burning in Bhazards HK6 nonstop with my burn in tracks medium volumes ever since I got it on Monday.

His brutal mid bass is now gone. I can't tell the difference between his pair and my pair. My burn in station uses my old Audinst MX2 which I kept around simply due to the 2 headphone jacks on the front. Easy for comparing phones with and I used it to compare mine and Bhazards HK6. If I didn't put tape on the cable of my pair I would have a very difficult time trying to figure out which one is mine and which one is his.

I even put the right of his with the left of mine. It sounds exactly the same now. No more crazy mid bass. I will continue to burn in his HK6 over this weekend for good measure but now I know what is up with the HK6.

This is not a QC issue at all. Guys that feel they have too much mid bass. Go find some quick beat driven drum n bass. You can find online stations that have it for free streaming. Beat the poo out of the HK6. The key is not to do this with high volumes like you would with dynamics. Moderate volumes it fine. And let it play and play some more.

I am 100% certain when I send back Bhazards HK6. He is going to be surprised.

Here use this.. http://bassdrive.com/pop-up/
honestly i doubt there will be a difference, BA units dont really deviate from burn-ins though more of our brain playing game

Jun 29, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #36,924 of 101,027
Your in for a pleasant surprise. I will keep them on the burn in over this weekend and ship yours back to you on Monday. No need to send them to NiceHCK at all. They sound exactly like my pair now.

That is crazy. Hard to imagine, but I do believe you! Hisenior told me they'll have an "aging treatment" for about 8 hours after all their testing, afterward they'll be packed and shipped. Why would they do this for nothing? I'd love to know if NiceHCK does this to their IEMs as well, if they don't, then this might explain the differences between models.

Oh, by the way, Dsnuts, this might be a bit me being paranoid, but I noticed that your holy new DZ12 has no cover in front of the nozzle. At least the B8 or T12 use a dust-proof cover on the nozzle, which I think is superb and perfect for someone like me which gets thoughts like "What if dirt or earwax gets in there and just destroys everything in its path?!" Joking aside, you probably don't have to worry about it too much, but I could imagine that some sand/dirt and/or earwax might not be very beneficial once in there, Gareth from Hisenior told me he had some customers return their CUSTOM IEM (they don't have a cover) since earwax blocked the tight sound-tubes. I don't know if they had to be reshelled. :xf_eek:

Just so you're aware, don't want anything to happen to them, especially since you're literally one of the only people I know which actually owns an expensive Chi-Fi flagship IEM, alongside another Head-Fier which owns the T12 as well. :)

Cheers!

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #36,925 of 101,027
I have about 6 pairs of these in extra large. They're great for my ears with IEMs that have longer nozzles but I find myself using them on just about everything nowadays. Wide bore, shallow insertion and they give me a perfect seal on 90% of the stuff I use.

May I kindly ask, where did you get your tips from? They are not easy to find at all and every other tip I tried which comes with them doesn't provide any seal like the wide and shallow ones do.

Jun 29, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #36,926 of 101,027
It has a metal grill on the front of the nozzle much like the HK6. It is good enough for me. Not too worried about stuff getting in. I try n keep my ears clean as much as humanly possible. I know some members have some wax issues. I am fortunate to not have too much of it. Lol.

Jun 29, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #36,927 of 101,027
It has a metal grill on the front of the nozzle much like the HK6. It is good enough for me. Not too worried about stuff getting in. I try n keep my ears clean as much as humanly possible. I know some members have some wax issues. I am fortunate to not have too much of it. Lol.

Phew! Glad to hear that. Upon second notice, you're right, the DZ12 has a metal grill, but the DZX-14BA does not even have the HK6/HK8 etc. metal nozzle. I really wonder why, but they don't seem to have any grill what so ever when you have a look at the one picture on Ali: :nerd:

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB12B8F...dth=960&hash=d0ab12673c12f46a81bb54b8a505fd16

Also, out of curiosity, I asked Jim which BAs are built into the DZX-14. I hope this is a "fair" question, but hey, it's a rather normal question I suppose..? I'm a curios fellah and I'd love to compare the BA composition of the DZ12 or the DZX-14 with the Hisenior T12. That would IMO just be a very interesting and fair comparison.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #36,928 of 101,027

Yeah I don't have a wax issue but surprisingly I had a build up and I thought it was a channel imbalance lol

Jun 29, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #36,929 of 101,027
May I kindly ask, where did you get your tips from? They are not easy to find at all and every other tip I tried which comes with them doesn't provide any seal like the wide and shallow ones do.
They all came with IEMs that I've bought or reviewed and I can't remember which ones they came with except for a couple: TFZ Balance 2M and Brainwavz Jive. I even bought a couple of rubbish IEMs from 7-11 because they had the same type of tips!

Jun 30, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #36,930 of 101,027
Jim replied to my message asking about the drivers built into the 14BA DZX. He stated they are using Knowles and Chinese BAs and he isn't hesitant wanting to sell you a product. But, he seems kind and also stated Head-Fiers, in general, will get a discount so that might be something to keep in mind. :)

Also, @Dsnuts , which tips are you using for the HK6 or the DZ12? After a lot of A/Bing my foam tips with the shallow silicone ones, I noticed that the silicone tips somehow make the sound appear a little bit weird to my ears. Is it like some high frequencies get swallowed somehow? Hard to put my finger on it yet, but directly compared the foam tips somehow make the sound cleaner, but you lose a bit out on bass punch, but gain sub-bass. Tip rolling seems to be a science on its own. :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back