The discovery thread!
Jun 30, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #36,931 of 101,117
My go to tips have always been JVC Spiral Dots. I bought something like 5 or 6 boxes of them as I always end up using them. I have yet to see most manufacturers included tips being comparable for me.

Not to mention they always give me the best sound possible with a few exceptions. My Sony Z5 they end up diffusing some of the sound, more than likely was tuned with the hybrid tips so I had to stick with stock hybrids but for everything else for the most part I try using stock tips but always end up using Spiral Dots.

Jul 1, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #36,932 of 101,117
I think the Fiio FH5 seems to be very interesting, and it looks outstanding. Bad guy, good audio has put up a unboxing video on youtube. I am considering to sell my beloved jays q jays anniversary edition for this as I want a more bassy iem. :)

Sacrilege! q-Jays are forever!

(not totally joking- they are one of only 4 or 5 IEMs I've had that I would consider re-buying if I lost them (ex1000, Ety ER4, Aurisonics Rockets, and maybe fx850, though I'd probably just get one of the newer JVC woodies).
(though tbh this is less about the sound quality, more just how well made and thought out they are for actual practical use)
(also even if you don't use them much they are really good back-up headphones to keep in a bag, because the case is so small and tough and they still sound good)
(ok yeah it's absurd to have a pair of $200+ headphones as a backup when Tenores are still only $30)
(nevermind... ignore all of the above, I lost all sense of perspective many years ago :shrug: )

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #36,933 of 101,117
Got in my pair of Fender Puresonic Premium wired yesterday. Bought the BT which led me to buy these. BT model sounds very good but has dropouts unless you don't have your player on your person in a certain area. Away from the body is fine. Back pocket or hands block the signal pretty easy. I am getting an AP80 and will wear it necklace style so I don't mind the issue. At times was resorting to wearing the Fender cable in front with my A45 which helped cure the dropouts. The BT was not done that well but the sound and other things were so I still bought the wired version...
https://shop.fender.com/en-US/headphones/wired/puresonic-wired-earbuds/6810000001.html

upload_2018-7-1_12-46-9.png

upload_2018-7-1_12-51-41.png

upload_2018-7-1_12-51-8.png

upload_2018-7-1_12-47-30.png

upload_2018-7-1_12-48-3.png

upload_2018-7-1_12-49-46.png

^Small, slender, and light. As close to not being there at all as I have encountered. Good design.^
upload_2018-7-1_12-50-22.png

Currently my favorite $99 model I have tried. A real jack of all trades. Handsome - check. A strong cable that looks goods, stems microphonics well, doesn't tangle much, and has a good slider, shorter memory wires, and a great length to the Y for me(9.25" from the memory wire to the Y). The cable is more glossy and plastic in feel with enough stiffness to keep tangles at bay but is not like my last Aurisonics, the Rockets. gone are the stiff cable and the stupid big plug and so many things that plagued the design of that earphone. Also IPX4 so some sweat and rain is fine. Smaller size than other fenders(30% is their claim) so it a bit bigger than the Semkarch CNT1.

Fit is really nice. The stock sticky Sureseal tips are good tips if a bit love or hate. They work fine for the sound and are good to have in your kit for sure. I still like longer tips a bit more and use Klipch Custom black tips. I find they tune a bit but are more agreeable with tips than many earphones. Downside is the 3mm bore with 4mm lip on the end will be loose fitting for the widest bore tips so spacers would need to be used to build it up some for a tight fit. Other than that when you shape the memory wire right the fit is sweet and easy to achieve. Longer tips do add more of an aiming factor while shorter are easy to get the sound right. Depends on ear canals but longer do allow for deformation in front due to the extra length allowing bending. Sureseal are thicker and short so won't exhibit this but I like the Klipsch for the bit more balance they give. the stickier Sureseal are going to push anything they are on a bit more towards high seal and the warmest they can be. The included foams tips will be more of a balanced sound but a nice amount of bass.

The sound is nice. These $99 fender go away from the CX/DX titanium driver thing and use the higher end 9.25 from the better models. This time with more balance and not an Aurisonic style big bass. I haer them as also very agreeable with source and file. My old stuff sounds right and great even old school Napster/Audio galaxy mp3's to new FLACS and WAVs. Radio sounds right. EQ presets all sound good whether it be Sony, iRiver, or Cowon. They only earphones I have liked on my A45 on flat as others too a bit too polite or dull even.

These Fender have some sweet bass done right. Best I have heard in a while. Mids are crisp, still close to up front, and well defined. Treble is real and has a bit of sparkle nice detail and transparency. Being a single driver makes them obviously quite cohesive but really one of the best. Detail is surprisingly good and comes from each area more evenly than other earphones. if I were to pick out maybe a slight bit of low bass to the mids is where detail is a little more focused or evident. The nice clarity and transparency coupled with sweet separation prowess had me saying that I have been hearing things I haven't heard in a while. Texture and details in the guitar and bass and even vocals that the Semkarch nor B400 or even My Elecom showed. Upgrade cable or not. The Puresonic Wired is fixed cable so no swapping out but I have no problem with that due to the performance of it in most all aspects. Cable is just fine. While the separation is sweet and they have a pretty nice black background the stage is above average. Pretty big but can jump with recording or source. Not the biggest but won't disappoint esp. in the balance of width height and depth. But I still have even used the widest bore tips trying to enhance it yet which shows it satisfying for a person who values soundstage size.

So far they have just done a great jobs of checking off a real high percentage of things I want done well. Nice to be very satisfied and not annoyed with fit or cable or glaring sound issues. Nothing lacking or sounding off. Maybe not a truly great earphone but something great when A to Z just works and works quite well. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #36,934 of 101,117
Got in my pair of Fender Puresonic Premium wired yesterday. Bought the BT which led me to buy these. BT model sounds very good but has dropouts unless you don't have your player on your person in a certain area. Away from the body is fine. Back pocket or hands block the signal pretty easy. I am getting an AP80 and will wear it necklace style so I don't mind the issue. At times was resorting to wearing the Fender cable in front with my A45 which helped cure the dropouts. The BT was not done that well but the sound and other things were so I still bought the wired version...

Currently my favorite $99 model I have tried. A real jack of all trades. Handsome - check. A strong cable that looks goods, stems microphonics well, doesn't tangle much, and has a good slider shorter memory wires, and a great length to the Y for me(9.25" from the memory wire to the Y). IPX4 so some sweat and rain is fine. Smaller size than other fenders(30% is their claim) so it a bit bigger than the Semkarch CNT1.

Fit is really nice. The stock sticky Sureseal tips are good tips if a bit love or hate. They work fine for the sound and are good to have in your kit for sure. I still like longer tips a bit more and use Klipch Custom black tips. I find they tune a bit but are more agreeable with tips than many earphones. Downside is the 3mm bore with 4mm lip on the end will be loose fitting for the widest bore tips so spacers would need to be used to build it up some for a tight fit. Other than that when you shape the memory wire right the fit is sweet and easy to achieve. Longer tips do add more of an aiming factor while shorter are easy to get the sound right. Depends on ear canals but longer do allow for deformation in front due to the extra length allowing bending. Sureseal are thicker and short so won't exhibit this but I like the Klipsch for the bit more balance they give. the stickier Sureseal are going to push anything they are on a bit more towards high seal and the warmest they can be. The included foams tips will be more of a balanced sound but a nice amount of bass.

The sound is nice. These $99 fender go away from the CX/DX titanium driver thing and use the higher end 9.25 from the better models. This time with more balance and not an Aurisonic style big bass. I haer them as also very agreeable with source and file. My old stuff sounds right and great even old school Napster/Audio galaxy mp3's to new FLACS and WAVs. Radio sounds right. EQ presets all sound good whether it be Sony, iRiver, or Cowon. They only earphones I have liked on my A45 on flat as others too a bit too polite or dull even.

These Fender have some sweet bass done right. Best I have heard in a while. Mids are crisp, still close to up front, and well defined. Treble is real and has a bit of sparkle nice detail and transparency. Being a single driver makes them obviously quite cohesive but really one of the best. Detail is surprisingly good and comes from each area more evenly than other earphones. if I were to pick out maybe a slight bit of low bass to the mids is where detail is a little more focused or evident. The nice clarity and transparency coupled with sweet separation prowess had me saying that I have been hearing things I haven't heard in a while. Texture and details in the guitar and bass and even vocals that the Semkarch nor B400 or even My Elecom showed. Upgrade cable or not. The Puresonic Wired is fixed cable so no swapping out but I have no problem with that due to the performance of it in most all aspects. Cable is just fine. While the separation is sweet and they have a pretty nice black background the stage is above average. Pretty big but can jump with recording or source. Not the biggest but won't disappoint esp. in the balance of width height and depth. But I still have even used the widest bore tips trying to enhance it yet which shows it satisfying for a person who values soundstage size.

So far they have just done a great jobs of checking off a real high percentage of things I want done well. Nice to be very satisfied and not annoyed with fit or cable or glaring sound issues. Nothing lacking or sounding off. Maybe not a truly great earphone but something great when A to Z just works and works quite well. :thumbsup:

Sounds like a great buy! Congrats :)

Jul 1, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #36,935 of 101,117
Sounds like a great buy! Congrats :)

Thanks! For those familiar these would have a similar FR to the Pioneer CH9T. So many earphones but great when one just works. So many we try and all the issue and peculiarities they can have. To have it all just work and be good enough is nice. Grab and go, no worries or little hassles. Just need the cable to relax some more but it has already from what it was out of the box. Over 100 degrees here today might help with that :)

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #36,937 of 101,117
Just ordered the FH5. My first Fiio earphone. Excited to hear them as they just got a release. Unlike the IT04 which was promised to be on their site today.

Might give up on them all together.

Can't wait for your impressions. Where did you order from?

Jul 2, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #36,938 of 101,117
Jul 2, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #36,941 of 101,117
Ok fellas. Today seems to be D day as in today I can't believe it but the Ibasso IT04 is actually being sold on their web site. I was recently debating if I wanted to get one of them Massdrop Noble K10s or go with the IT04..

Had to do it. Got the IT04 and the FH5 on order. If you guys were considering either or. Today is the day.

Jul 2, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #36,942 of 101,117
Just ordered the FH5. My first Fiio earphone. Excited to hear them as they just got a release. Unlike the IT04 which was promised to be on their site today.

Might give up on them all together.

The IT04 is on iBasso's web site (although I had to have help finding it.)

iBasso IT04

The "Buy" link is at the bottom of that page and they're taking orders at $499.

Edit: I notice that you had already found it.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #36,943 of 101,117
Been waiting on the IT04 for what seems to be forever and a day. Went for the silver version. Will be glad to finally get them in my ears. Fiios FH5 is unexpected new phone but hey I am a sucker for new phones with new marketing claims. The FH5 might be the newest bang for buck earphone according to some early reports I have seen. Next week will be interesting for certain.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #36,944 of 101,117
Been waiting on the IT04 for what seems to be forever and a day. Went for the silver version. Will be glad to finally get them in my ears. Fiios FH5 is unexpected new phone but hey I am a sucker for new phones with new marketing claims. The FH5 might be the newest bang for buck earphone according to some early reports I have seen. Next week will be interesting for certain.

I ordered the FH5 because of what I've been reading in performance vs. price, but not interested in a $500 IBasso earphone anymore. The AKG N5005 ended that for me (as it's the best hybrid earphone I've heard and one of the best iems I've heard/owned, period). Can't wait, however, to reach your thoughts on the iBasso, bro.

Jul 2, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #36,945 of 101,117
I liked the IT01 quite a bit. Still do. I consider it the bench for $100 iems. IT04 I know is a bit up there in price but I expect them to rival earphones that are much more expensive.

Now them FH5s. Those came out of nowhere. I had no idea Fiio was at the drawing board for a new iem. They took some ideas from much higher end earphones too. 3 bores 3BAs with a dynamic. Seems to be the magic combo now a days as the IT04 is confinured the same way.

I was initially going to get one or the other but I am terrible at deciding so I got both. We will see what is what when I get my gritty paws on them next week. Will most certainly report on their performance when I get them.

In other news I know I mentioned the DT300 pros I should get soon. I was wrong as I thought they speed shipped them to me but apparently not.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back