The discovery thread!
Oct 16, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #38,402 of 101,607
Well, maybe I have to check them out myself. ClieOS said he likes them and would place them between Sony XBA-300AP and XBA-A3 in sound and that his only complaint is the treble being too smooth for his liking. The taobao reviews are also very positive. To be honest I'm just interested in the innovations in the hobby. The only iems I am really interested in are the upcoming new vsonics and the new sony ier-z1r (a while ago I decided to put a limit of 600 bucks on a single audio product, but the hype is getting to me)

A planar/armature hybrid with too smooth treble?? How'd they end up with that? :)

Still interested in the VS'. Mainly the 9. See they have another metal front besides the black(no clear though)...
68cf2617gy1fvrx020wo7j21be0qojt7.jpg

Oct 16, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #38,403 of 101,607
Not chi-fi, but if people as looking at new dynamic driver IEMs to check out, the Flares Jet 3 are worth a look. Same driver as the 1 and 2 (single 10mm DD) with their in-house airfliw management ("Jet") pressure balancing design, but upgraded titanium shell. No detachable cables, but this fixes some of the criticisms about the 2 (slightly resonant bass). Quite tip dependant, so currently working out if it's going to be a little sharp in the sibilance region for me, but pretty impressive clarity for a sub-£100 model. Thinking Spiral Dots or the Flare audiophile foams / CA marshmallow tips may cure that though. The tips that come with it are great for other IEMs, but pretty poor on the Jet (why do companies do that?!).

Also, pretty big mid and sub bass - this is definitely more of an audiophile take on a consumer basshead style tuning than a "true" balanced sound, but I'm finding the low end impact and texture very addictive.

Definitely worth the extra £20 over the Jet2 if anyone is looking at this line. Also, not as refined as the Flares Pro, but do have a serious bass presence that the Pro is lacking.

Putting together a series of DD comparisons in the $50 - $400 range at the moment, and think these will finish a respectable way up the pile. Packaging is absurdly budget for a £90 iem, though...
20181016_130832.jpg

Oct 16, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #38,404 of 101,607
A planar/armature hybrid with too smooth treble?? How'd they end up with that? :)

Still interested in the VS'. Mainly the 9. See they have another metal front besides the black(no clear though)...
Yeah, there should be two VS9 versions, but unfortunately only the VS7 will have that sweet transparent version. They seem to be slowly but surely getting into production phase as now there are actual images of the entry-level VS1
68cf2617gy1fw7288aeluj20zk0qo44d.jpg
68cf2617gy1fw7289ra1lj20qo0qo11w.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #38,405 of 101,607
Personnel - "The Chain"
  • Lindsey Buckingham – electric guitars, Dobro, lead vocals.
  • Stevie Nicks – lead and harmony vocalstambourine (just in live versions)
  • Christine McVie – Harmonium, Hammond organ, harmony vocals.
  • John McVie – fretless bass guitar.
  • Mick Fleetwood – drums, tambourine

Mick Fleetwood's Kick drum is hardly there IMO
Lindsey's Dobro sounds as off as I have ever heard
Stevie Nicks sounds distant except when in harmony which sounds like a harmonic mess

This is all opinion but we can break it into a reasonably easy to replicate, structured set of opinions so people can watch out for their money.

I hate when folks trash stuff without context that I can follow so I apologize for doing that. I offer context.
Used an A&K SE100 and file is good.

Oct 16, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #38,406 of 101,607
Oriolus Finschi just arrived in the post, Very well made nice looking iems, quick first listen bass is nice, vocals are fine, treble I'n not sure yet. Time to tip roll

Oct 16, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #38,407 of 101,607
I look forward to yout comparison of both

Quick comparison between both with source as being iBasso DX100 and SONY NW-A46 Walkman.

Bass: DM6 has more authority in bass region than the Tenhz P4 Pro. Both have the same amount of details here.
Update: The bass now becomes neutral with the use of supplied wide bore ear tips, previously the tips I used was the narrow bore ear tips with pink color inside.

Mids: Mids of DM6 has more smoother approach, though it is not recessed at all but when I compare it to P4 Pro, it feels that P4 Pro has more open mids because of neutral mid-bass. P4 Pro has slightly more focussed mids or I dare to say has very slighty more presense on upper mids but still neutral without being shouty at all.

Treble: DM6 has definitely smoother treble whereas treble of P4 Pro is neutral. No one has bright treble at all.

Separation: DM6 seems to have better separation and layering of instruments being slightly warm. I would say Tenhz P4 Pro also have good separation. Its a close call.

Tonality:
DM6: Neutral-warm (Narrow bore ear tips with pink color bore) and Neutral (with the supplied wide bore ear tips)
P4 Pro: Neutral

I personally like P4 Pro more because I am more of a neutral-head. But when I put DM6 into my ears, I keep listening to it as well.

[Update]: I am now liking both the IEMs equally after when I put the wide bore ear tips on the DM6..

More detailed impressions after the 100 hours of burn-in period.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #38,408 of 101,607
So my Finschi has been somewhat neglected since I have been listening to my other earphones. I got a new silver cable to use with them. Cable brings up a bit of resolution on the Finschi. Though the difference between the stock cable and my silver one is not night n day. The main difference is that the silver cable is a 2.5mm balanced cable. Finschi definitely sounds better to me in balanced. I don't think a silver cable is necessary however.

I have a few cables I am looking at for 11/11 sales. Will see how much of a discount vendors will have for cables this year.

Oct 16, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #38,409 of 101,607
I got the BGVP DM6 about a week ago. They have a warm/Neutral signature with a good soundstage and separation. I’d say that they are tip dependent on achieving that neutral quality (using the Simbio tips now). They are clear sounding with these with the right amount of treble. I usually choose tips based on where I like the mids, but in this case, it’s better to shoot for the highs, because they don’t have any extra to give.
I like them a lot and find the more upfront sound signature to be be more pleasing than the more V shaped IBasso IT03 (although those are good too). The DM6 never gets sibilant, but can sound too warm (or concentrated) on the lower two thirds of the spectrum, if you choose the wrong tips.
Great though, when you find the right combo. And, they’re pretty. I got the dark red ones.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #38,412 of 101,607
This is a long shot but did anyone compared the DM6 to the CA andros? Any inputs? I know they are in there own leagues, but just want to know how they are compared..

This would be something. I had to skip on the DM6 drop. Though I was close to getting a pair but my recent splurge got me not snapping up earphones for the foreseeable future.

That is until 11/11. Someone can send me your DM6 I will be happy to compare with my Andro S. :ksc75smile:

Oct 16, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #38,413 of 101,607
Guys I have updated my early impressions in my previous post.

Oct 16, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #38,414 of 101,607
This is a long shot but did anyone compared the DM6 to the CA andros? Any inputs? I know they are in there own leagues, but just want to know how they are compared..
Honestly, the sound signature of the DM6 is close to the CA Comet as far as tuning. The DM6 has a bigger and more expansive soundstage but the Comet has a bit more grunt. They are pretty equal as far as resolve with neither one being a master at that.

Oct 16, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #38,415 of 101,607
I've had the Toneking T88k now for almost 2 weeks and I'm soon ready to publish a review on them. I don't think I've ever come across an iem that can change signatures with different tips, quite as drastically as the T88k. I enjoyed them out of the box, as the default tuning was to my liking, but wow, can you really tweak the sound with various tips. I've had earphones where I had to do a ton of top rolling to just find a sound that I could enjoy, but that's not the case with the T88k. I can enjoy them being bass heavy with their included silicone, to say more neutral with comply tx400 tips in a size smaller than I generally use. Also, the comfort is 2nd to none and isolation is again the best I've heard yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back