Sony EX1000 Review and Impressions Thread (with comparisons to FX700, GR10 and e-Q5)
Oct 4, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #3,736 of 4,748
Hello guys, I was looking to find a new IEM as well always wanted to get the EX1000, due to beating a lot of IEMs with single DD with their clarity, bass, massive soundstage and fantastic build. I was looking at ES Velvet V2 / IE800 ( the semi in ear design is off putting and the cable), Dunu's flagship multi driver sets like 3001 (Massive size causing discomfort), SE846 also was an option, but blisteringly expensive. CA Vega is a good one but very expensive again for me. FLC8S also has same Bass/Sub Bass perhaps a touch less vs the DN1K, DN2K loses the 1K's visceral sub bass, tried IE80 they can't touch the DN1K. And I always referred to Joker's list, somehow his reviews always were great the DN1K rivals the AKG multidriver K3003i flagship as well according to his pov. I also tried the GR07 BE and loved them but sadly no bass. So yeah currently using the DN1K they are really good, I wrote my analysis of them at the DN1K thread if anyone is interested.

I waited like 5 years for the funds, looks like now I can afford these but Sony discontinues them. And releases a uber expensive IEM which is fancy. Real shame. Plus I also feel the coherence issues, maybe very little but it's there with Multi driver setups, the XBA Z5 says no but I don't think it's great choice over EX1000 either, adding the Velvet V2 loses to clarity vs Z5 with max Bass setting which is disappointing as Z5 fails with clarity over its boomy bass like IE80 I believe. Also the BA's Bass can never be on the class of DD's I believe which includes the 846/Velvet.

So I'm looking at Audiocubes they still have it in stock, so are they worth the cash that they are asking for at $550 incl. shipping from Japan ? plus reliable ? I would like to get these legendary IEMs before they vanish, I hope my iPod 5.5G can power them up, I also have an SGS i9000 with 200GB SD and can take any sd you throw at it and uses full custom HW driver hack with Voodoo sound allowing for Bass control and analog volume control. Anyways I have my HD6XX for which I should buy a DAC/AMP combo, I will pick with can power both these up..Any suggestions are much appreciated and welcomed.

Thank you for your time.

Seems you really like single driver (I like single drivers too) and bass. If you’re looking for a daily driver, maybe check the Final Audio E5000 out. It has really sweet vocals and a prominent sub-bass.

I agree with the above poster that I really only listen to my EX1000 sporadically when I’m in a quiet environment. It’s not meant for commuting. However, its detail, imaging and soundstage is incredible and is a permanent part of my collection.

EDIT: regarding the poor fit, I find JVC Spiral Dots the best fit for me. Gets the best seal and as close in the ear as possible.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #3,737 of 4,748
Quite frankly if youre looking for just 1, the EX1000 would not be my choice of IEM. And yes I do think it is great, and i love mine, but I would not choose them if I were to only have 1. Could I ask what your budget is?

Despite its strengths as everyone has listed, the EX1000 has major flaws. The lack of isolation, poor fit in general, wind noise, are the main practical flaws. In terms of the sound, its not all roses either. It has a few large weaknesses, possibly crippling to some users. The top end is a little peaky and messy to start. For the most part it sounds wonderful, but then please keep in mind, that despite the picture painted here, the EX1000 is no longer playing at the top of the game in terms of its technical prowess. Sure, its got a massive open soundstage, wonderful air, and neutral, balanced tone, but the first two really come from its semi open design. In terms of finesse, fine resolution, texturing, and refinement, the EX1000 has been handily taken over by many earphones.

Don't get me wrong. I love my EX1000, but due to the above, using it is really more of a fun thing that I do from time to time, but it could never be my main driver.

Please elaborate on in ears that best yhe ex1000, I'm looking to expand my iem collection and have been looking at quite a few TOTL in ears from different companies. Empire ears nemesis/legend/phantom, beyerdynamic xelento, campfire andromeda,some from shure, etc. I will also probably always keep my ex1000, and I use them outside, I like working with them on as I can still hear things outside. Yes it takes away from the detail but, I'm working, so I don't care, my brain is on work and music at the same time so it's fine. I was going to buy something complementary to the ex1000, something more fun I guess, but after really thinking about it, I want something that excels over the sony in certain areas. So, I'd like to continue the truth bombs here, as honestly the ex1000 is the best in ear I've heard, and I haven't ever tried anything higher up the ladder than a 300$ in ear. I realize there is going to continue to be a smaller percentage of actual improvement from here on out, but, whatever, this is the hobby I've loved for 7 or so years, I need to dive further in at some point.

Oct 5, 2018 at 4:17 AM Post #3,738 of 4,748
I never thought that they could sound so good
new firmware 3.0 SE !!!
it's madness!! 20181005_100554.jpg 20181005_100327.jpg

Oct 5, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #3,739 of 4,748
Please elaborate on in ears that best yhe ex1000, I'm looking to expand my iem collection and have been looking at quite a few TOTL in ears from different companies. Empire ears nemesis/legend/phantom, beyerdynamic xelento, campfire andromeda,some from shure, etc. I will also probably always keep my ex1000, and I use them outside, I like working with them on as I can still hear things outside. Yes it takes away from the detail but, I'm working, so I don't care, my brain is on work and music at the same time so it's fine. I was going to buy something complementary to the ex1000, something more fun I guess, but after really thinking about it, I want something that excels over the sony in certain areas. So, I'd like to continue the truth bombs here, as honestly the ex1000 is the best in ear I've heard, and I haven't ever tried anything higher up the ladder than a 300$ in ear. I realize there is going to continue to be a smaller percentage of actual improvement from here on out, but, whatever, this is the hobby I've loved for 7 or so years, I need to dive further in at some point.
What’s the Budget, and what are you looking for?

Oct 5, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #3,740 of 4,748
What’s the Budget, and what are you looking for?

Let's say the budget is 1k, but please also throw in your "no budget" end game recommendations. I'm looking for something that does prog rock/ metal justice, rendering guitars and vocals realistically and musically. I don't mind bright, and I don't need a ton of bass, but a bit more oomph in the low end would be welcomed. I have issues with hybrids as they seem to have a disconnect between driver types, but I have not listened to anything high end as far as hybrids go, so part of me is very very interested in the offerings from empire ears, particularly the Nemesis and zeus variants. Even if that means waiting for the budget to allow it. I have a personal block in spending more than 1k on an iem or headphone, but, maybe I need to just go for it. I've also been looking at the planar IEM's rha cl2. I'll be driving whatever I get balanced from a zx300, and may trade that up for the wm1a for better battery and more power for my t50rp build. So far the andromeda is seeming best, but I'm still undecided where I want to wander. It's tough, as I don't have somewhere very close to audition. I will be in Portland at the end of 5he month but doubt I could stop anywhere to try things out. Worst case I buy something and sell it. Anyhow, any suggestions are welcomed, as mentioned I don't really want a "better" version of the ex1000, I want a totl iem with a different sig and approach, that way the ex1000 still has its place.

Oct 6, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #3,741 of 4,748
Quite frankly if youre looking for just 1, the EX1000 would not be my choice of IEM. And yes I do think it is great, and i love mine, but I would not choose them if I were to only have 1. Could I ask what your budget is?

Despite its strengths as everyone has listed, the EX1000 has major flaws. The lack of isolation, poor fit in general, wind noise, are the main practical flaws. In terms of the sound, its not all roses either. It has a few large weaknesses, possibly crippling to some users. The top end is a little peaky and messy to start. For the most part it sounds wonderful, but then please keep in mind, that despite the picture painted here, the EX1000 is no longer playing at the top of the game in terms of its technical prowess. Sure, its got a massive open soundstage, wonderful air, and neutral, balanced tone, but the first two really come from its semi open design. In terms of finesse, fine resolution, texturing, and refinement, the EX1000 has been handily taken over by many earphones.

Don't get me wrong. I love my EX1000, but due to the above, using it is really more of a fun thing that I do from time to time, but it could never be my main driver.

Much thanks for this information, really helpful. I guess the same reason IE800 also has the same semi open design, looks like a trade off to be made when using a single DD. I was just wondering to get these since they are going out, that was the prime reason. Second being the DN1Ks being uncomfortable for longer listening periods as mentioned below plus my HD6XX is in the closet collecting dust (shame, couldn't find a Desktop DAC/AMP due to work reasons, had to move always and on a side slightly OT I use my notebook only which needs a custom fan cooling pad due to the upgrades I did to the machine, new GPU - It has socketed slots & I guess you can guess alr, yeah I don't like portables, esp that Chord stuff which has battery protections for DIY and all the limited cycles of the Li Ion batteries, the DAPs in my sig have easy available batteries for quick servicing).

So about the budget, I guess I can pull off up-to 1000 bucks at max that too If I get a new CC and blast a hole in my wallet for 1 year lol. Not more than that. Also until that range of price, I'd be really interested in your recommendations if possible..you know just to keep at back of my head.

Seems you really like single driver (I like single drivers too) and bass. If you’re looking for a daily driver, maybe check the Final Audio E5000 out. It has really sweet vocals and a prominent sub-bass.

I agree with the above poster that I really only listen to my EX1000 sporadically when I’m in a quiet environment. It’s not meant for commuting. However, its detail, imaging and soundstage is incredible and is a permanent part of my collection.

EDIT: regarding the poor fit, I find JVC Spiral Dots the best fit for me. Gets the best seal and as close in the ear as possible.

Thanks for the EX1000 input much appreciated. I guess I read about the fit, but I forgot it, glad to hear that again. About the single driver, I kinda like them yeah Coz DD Bass, that textured rumble I believe is not possible on BAs maybe tight but you know..., Still I personally think It's hard to rival a hybrid setup due to the earphones I've tried on or read about.

Final Audio E5000 looks interesting, looks great for a daily driver true. Thanks for the mention. I don't know how it can hold against the big DD setups tho (Even the DN1K DD is very big, the prime issue is the pain for long term listening with them due to the same reason I suppose) just wondering nothing much.

Also I use the DN1Ks mostly at home only, the reason being they are very heavy and will falloff and I couldn't find any IEM reaching that potential at lesser cost.

Oct 6, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #3,742 of 4,748
Much thanks for this information, really helpful. I guess the same reason IE800 also has the same semi open design, looks like a trade off to be made when using a single DD. I was just wondering to get these since they are going out, that was the prime reason. Second being the DN1Ks being uncomfortable for longer listening periods as mentioned below plus my HD6XX is in the closet collecting dust (shame, couldn't find a Desktop DAC/AMP due to work reasons, had to move always and on a side slightly OT I use my notebook only which needs a custom fan cooling pad due to the upgrades I did to the machine, new GPU - It has socketed slots & I guess you can guess alr, yeah I don't like portables, esp that Chord stuff which has battery protections for DIY and all the limited cycles of the Li Ion batteries, the DAPs in my sig have easy available batteries for quick servicing).

So about the budget, I guess I can pull off up-to 1000 bucks at max that too If I get a new CC and blast a hole in my wallet for 1 year lol. Not more than that. Also until that range of price, I'd be really interested in your recommendations if possible..you know just to keep at back of my head.

Thanks for the EX1000 input much appreciated. I guess I read about the fit, but I forgot it, glad to hear that again. About the single driver, I kinda like them yeah Coz DD Bass, that textured rumble I believe is not possible on BAs maybe tight but you know..., Still I personally think It's hard to rival a hybrid setup due to the earphones I've tried on or read about.

Final Audio E5000 looks interesting, looks great for a daily driver true. Thanks for the mention. I don't know how it can hold against the big DD setups tho (Even the DN1K DD is very big, the prime issue is the pain for long term listening with them due to the same reason I suppose) just wondering nothing much.

Also I use the DN1Ks mostly at home only, the reason being they are very heavy and will falloff and I couldn't find any IEM reaching that potential at lesser cost.

The E5000 is pretty light and comfortable. I’d demo it if you have a chance.

Oct 10, 2018 at 5:14 AM Post #3,744 of 4,748
So apparently the only place seeming to have a legit second hand market is in Japan. So I got to go to Japan a few weeks back and try out their headphone stores in Akihabara and lo and behold the much famed EX1000 was on display and for demo.

The fit was absolutely fk all and I got so impatient with it. I never got to properly test it due to this and I was admittedly kinda pissed at my ears and their design. I'd say for anyone eyeing on the EX series sony IEMs, unless you can put up with a high potential for an awkward fit, just walk away and try the newer offerings.

Oct 10, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #3,745 of 4,748
So apparently the only place seeming to have a legit second hand market is in Japan. So I got to go to Japan a few weeks back and try out their headphone stores in Akihabara and lo and behold the much famed EX1000 was on display and for demo.

The fit was absolutely fk all and I got so impatient with it. I never got to properly test it due to this and I was admittedly kinda pissed at my ears and their design. I'd say for anyone eyeing on the EX series sony IEMs, unless you can put up with a high potential for an awkward fit, just walk away and try the newer offerings.

Eh the fit is supposed to be shallow and actually feels really comfortable once you get it on. JVC Spiral Dots and Spinfits work best for me. They’re not like Erymotics where you insert it deeply for best seal and isolation.

Oct 10, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #3,746 of 4,748
Not really, I have 3 stock cables, re-terminated 2 with the Right angle Pentaconn, yes it cost a lot for these plugs, but you can used cheaper ones, you can't really tell the SQ from the cheap or expensive plug, I have about 6 of these 4.4 plug purchased them from china for about USD 1.5 each, and I can't tell the differences in SQ, and quality seem good.
How much did everything cost? Wish I knew how to re-treminate my EX1000 (jp) model!! You know anyone on here that will re-treminate wires for a small fee that lives in the usa? Any good recommendations would be great help :)

Oct 10, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #3,748 of 4,748

Everyone's ears are different, I love the fit of the ex1000, super comfortable to me. But I could see it being bad for others, it's an odd shape/design for sure.

Oct 10, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #3,749 of 4,748

It took me six or seven times of inserting them to get the hang of it but after I figured it out they are super comfy and easy to fit. I usually use a size medium spiral dot on my iems but found that a medium small spiral dot worked better with the fitment of the ex1000.

Oct 10, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #3,750 of 4,748
Has anyone else tried watching TV shows/movies with this?

I did briefly for 10 minutes and the realism/intensity of the details was too much for me to take haha.
I agree, I use EX1000 straight with IPad Air 2 watching Netflix; the sound is damn realistic watching Walking Dead
Watching movies like Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was a treat, it’s like I’m watching it in theater in terms of sounds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back