Schiit LYR + LCD-2
Jan 7, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #76 of 78
  I'm guessing you are using the stock GE 6B27 tubes?
I agree the bass with this combo needs to kick harder, although it does go very deep. Will be switching out to the Amperex Orange Globes to see if it improves.

I'm looking to buy some tubes for this setup as well. I have next to no experience with tube rolling and am somewhat confused when people say the "Amperex Orange Globes". It seems like there are at least 3 different versions of the amperex orange globes depending on the date they were produced, all with different getters and, I would imagine, different sounds. They also have widely different price ranges. I'm assuming that you mean the 6DJ8 and not the 6922, but what about the getter and the time frames? People seem to like the early A-Frames but these can be VERY expensive for a matched NOS pair. Would a Pair with O getters from the 70s be just as good for $80 or less? Would I even get a large difference out of the sound by switching out the stock tubes for these? Thanks!

Jan 7, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #77 of 78
A lyr +Hi Fi Man HE 400/500 are a real good match and have fun rolling 6dj8 family tubes.  Start with some more affordable USA  rca/ge/sylvania and if your budget allows try the 3 European Sisters English Mullards, German Telefunkins/ and Amperex from Holland.  Russian 6nip/6n23p are my favorites and cheap on ebay

Jan 9, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #78 of 78
  A lyr +Hi Fi Man HE 400/500 are a real good match and have fun rolling 6dj8 family tubes.  Start with some more affordable USA  rca/ge/sylvania and if your budget allows try the 3 European Sisters English Mullards, German Telefunkins/ and Amperex from Holland.  Russian 6nip/6n23p are my favorites and cheap on ebay

I actually ended up going with the 6n23p-EV super cryos from cryoset! I looked over the entire lyr tuberolling page and they seemed to be solid winners. The "sisters" also seemed to get good reviews but they weren't as consistently well liked as the russians. Ended up costing me about $80 which doesn't seem all that bad for a NOS tested and matched pair

Users who are viewing this thread

Back