RAZ's TOTL review and rambles thread, on life support
Dec 31, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #1,186 of 3,674
The Burson Conductor has too much power for IEMs. The new Playmate 2 works great with IEMs since it has both high and low gain.

One thing though is that aren't hybrids harder to drive (generally speaking) than all-BA IEMs?
If so, it might work better (or at least hiss less) with my MEST, for example? :)

Dec 31, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #1,187 of 3,674
One thing though is that aren't hybrids harder to drive (generally speaking) than all-BA IEMs?
If so, it might work better (or at least hiss less) with my MEST, for example? :)
Hmm I don’t know if there’s a direct correlation. The Solaris is a hybrid and is insanely sensitive for example. I’m not sure about the MEST though

Dec 31, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #1,188 of 3,674
Hmm I don’t know if there’s a direct correlation. The Solaris is a hybrid and is insanely sensitive for example. I’m not sure about the MEST though

It's ok. I was just optimistically clutching at straws really :joy:

Dec 31, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #1,189 of 3,674
It's ok. I was just optimistically clutching at straws really :joy:
An ifi IEMatch might not be a bad call? Also the hiss isn’t like, unbearable, it’s just quite prevalent :D

Dec 31, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #1,190 of 3,674
The MEST is less sensitive than Solaris (20 point difference on the volume scale to match them) however I found it produced a similar level of hiss, which wasn't that much through my n6ii.

Dec 31, 2020 at 11:42 PM Post #1,191 of 3,674
Hey Raz, I think I might've asked about this before, but would it be possible to get some shots of the inside of the 64 Audio puck case? The aluminum one that is. I've tried scouring 64's site and Head-Fi, but the pictures/descriptions aren't the greatest. I'm wondering if you're able to fit an IEM inside, cable attached and all, alongside the foam insert. Also looking forward to the year-end wrap-up whenever that goes up! Cheers!

Jan 1, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #1,193 of 3,674
@mvvRAZ did you ever review the Odin? How does it compare to the Elysium?
The Odin is on my personal radar. It has DD drivers for bass. I am flying to Atlanta in January. I am going to try to see if Empire Ears take appointments. If they do, I'm there.

Jan 1, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #1,194 of 3,674
It has DD drivers for bass.

Honestly the Elysium has almost made that a deal breaker for me going forward...at least for hybrids. The DD mids of the Ely are a revelation and I'm not sure I'll ever be able to go back to less.

Jan 1, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #1,195 of 3,674
Honestly the Elysium has almost made that a deal breaker for me going forward...at least for hybrids. The DD mids of the Ely are a revelation and I'm not sure I'll ever be able to go back to less.
I haven't heard them yet. Very unusual design.

Jan 1, 2021 at 1:18 AM Post #1,196 of 3,674
I haven't heard them yet. Very unusual design.

It is unusual...so unusual that I thought it was crazy. But it turns out it was a stroke of brilliance. The mid-range contains the emotional centre of the music we listen to. The natural/organic timbre of a driver is subtstantially better served rendering the mid-range than the bass. Dynamic bass with BA mids even at the best of times feels a little unnatural. But if you flip it around, like they did with the Ely, you're so engrossed with the mids that the bass naturally assumes its proper place ie., in a supporting role. I understand this may not (and certainly won't) be for everyone buy for me it's been an eye-opener. IMHO Vision Ears have changed the game with the Elysium. As far as I'm concerned it is the defacto IEM to beat right now.

Jan 1, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #1,197 of 3,674
It is unusual...so unusual that I thought it was crazy. But it turns out it was a stroke of brilliance. The mid-range contains the emotional centre of the music we listen to. The natural/organic timbre of a driver is subtstantially better served rendering the mid-range than the bass. Dynamic bass with BA mids even at the best of times feels a little unnatural. But if you flip it around, like they did with the Ely, you're so engrossed with the mids that the bass naturally assumes its proper place ie., in a supporting role. I understand this may not (and certainly won't) be for everyone buy for me it's been an eye-opener. IMHO Vision Ears have changed the game with the Elysium. As far as I'm concerned it is the defacto IEM to beat right now.
I'll have to audition them. It was your review of the VE8 in the 4 way shootout that I relied on to purchase the VE8s sight unseen without ever hearing them when a deal came up that was too good to be true. On paper, the Odin is what I'm looking for next. I'd like to audition them side by side with my sources, cables and ear tips.

Jan 1, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #1,198 of 3,674
I'll have to audition them. It was your review of the VE8 in the 4 way shootout that I relied on to purchase the VE8s sight unseen without ever hearing them when a deal came up that was too good to be true. On paper, the Odin is what I'm looking for next. I'd like to audition them side by side with my sources, cables and ear tips.

I totally get where you're at...I have been curious about the Elysium for a long long time but their unorthodox driver config was too much to overlook without a proper demo...but it wound up being just thing thing I was seeking without even realizing it. You have to taste the fruit to know the flavour I guess. You should sign up for one the tours.

Jan 1, 2021 at 1:53 AM Post #1,199 of 3,674
It was your review of the VE8 in the 4 way shootout that I relied on to purchase the VE8s sight unseen without ever hearing them when a deal came up that was too good to be true.

Oh snap I hope it turned out to be sound advice. I always try and preface my impressions as being very subjective as I'd hate to be responsible for an ill-fated blind buy lol

Jan 1, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #1,200 of 3,674
Oh snap I hope it turned out to be sound advice. I always try and preface my impressions as being very subjective as I'd hate to be responsible for an ill-fated blind buy lol
Nah, I take calculated risks. I knew if it didn't work out, I could dump them for a couple hundred lower than I bought them and they would sell instantly. It was tuition into Audiophile University. As it turned out, they are fabulous for me. It took me a while to get the source, cables and tips right, but it was a fun filled process and now I have achieved my perfect sound for all genres of music. You made it clear that your impressions were subjective. But, I got other opinions as well. Yours was just most memorable. Thank you. I think the Elysium idea is crazy especially since nobody else is doing it. Who knows maybe that is what will make it work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back