RAZ's TOTL review and rambles thread, on life support
Aug 13, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #2,866 of 3,674
I only listened to Thummim once but I remember I had success listening to some soundtracks. I remembered getting blown away by the cello texture on it.

I stopped listening quickly though, the fit absolutely didn't work with my ears. I found the weird angled rock shape painful after 5 minutes of listen. And didn't listen to it ever since.

Aug 13, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #2,869 of 3,674
I think I’m bipolar, congratulations to @Tiax on being the newest traillii owner on headfi! :D
You are definitely smoking something, mind sharing? :D

I'm glad we can all joke about it. I mean, that is the whole point of this hobby. Everybody has a personal taste, bias, and preference.

Aug 13, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #2,870 of 3,674
You are definitely smoking something, mind sharing? :D

I'm glad we can all joke about it. I mean, that is the whole point of this hobby. Everybody has a personal taste, bias, and preference.
For sure I love how open we are about the sickness :D

I do appreciate it, and I did have a moment where I was really into the treble, but I think the presentation is just too musical and emotional for me - I woke up today and I reached for the A12t, at which point I knew it was time for the traillii to unfortunately be on its way

Aug 13, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #2,871 of 3,674

I do appreciate it, and I did have a moment where I was really into the treble, but I think the presentation is just too musical and emotional for me - I woke up today and I reached for the A12t, at which point I knew it was time for the traillii to unfortunately be on its way
🤭😊

Aug 13, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #2,872 of 3,674

You're using the expression regularly, and you've explained to me how to interpret it, but "too musical" still sounds to me like food being "too tasty". :)

Aug 13, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #2,873 of 3,674
You're using the expression regularly, and you've explained to me how to interpret it, but "too musical" still sounds to me like food being "too tasty". :)
I’d say it’s more like a desert being too sweet

Aug 13, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #2,874 of 3,674
The Oriolus Trailli

Trailli.PNG

Personal feelings on the IEM: While I misjudged whether the sound will be for me or not, I'd say that my thoughts on the stock cable, packaging and design of the IEM pretty much stayed the same after receiving it. On sound, the Trailli really is exceptional, and amongst the very best. A little too musical in the midrange, but balanced by a crisp, clear and extremely sparkly estat treble. Responds very well to cable rolling, and found massive improvement going from the stock 1960s to the Eletech Aeneid, especially in that the Aeneid added some thickness and texture to the sound and made the lower treble a little smoother.

Absolutely cannot recommend at 6600$, but AFAIK these are still selling at around 5000$ new - personal recommendation is get these if you can secure a buyer for the cable at around 1000-1500$, so total cost of acquisition is at under 4 - within that price, 100% recommended despite the design, cable and packaging

Excellent IEM, and I am more than glad to have been proven wrong <3

IMG_5253.jpg
Nice review.

Aug 13, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #2,875 of 3,674
I’d say it’s more like a desert being too sweet

That's an apt and helpful metaphor. I think there are many parallels between how we appreciate audio gear and how we appreciate food. By comparison the last time I had the u12t on hand for a couple weeks I likened listening to it to eating a bowl of plain oatmeal. It doesn't do anything wrong, and on its own terms it's pretty much perfect... but it's not very exciting either. As with all things, YMMV.

+1 This world would be dull if we all liked the same stuff.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #2,876 of 3,674
I just did my thing, posted my thoughts, and moved on to focus on the music. gave up thinking why doesn't everyone have my gear long ago. However i did find head fi invaluable to getting this hobby started and haven't bought new gear in years, probably won't. well if senn comes out with a new flagship oh and antipodes upgrade to my DX3 that's it.

Aug 13, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #2,877 of 3,674
I just did my thing, posted my thoughts, and moved on to focus on the music. gave up thinking why doesn't everyone have my gear long ago. However i did find head fi invaluable to getting this hobby started and haven't bought new gear in years, probably won't. well if senn comes out with a new flagship oh and antipodes upgrade to my DX3 that's it.
I've come to this point after roughly 2 years buying and chasing different things. I get much deeper satisfaction from music now with what I have.
The "this is great, but what’s next?" attitude is very present in here.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #2,878 of 3,674
I've come to this point after roughly 2 years buying and chasing different things. I get much deeper satisfaction from music now with what I have.
The "this is great, but what’s next?" attitude is very present in here.
That's what makes head-fi and this hobby (well, all hobbies) go. Extreme consumerism. Not a judgement, merely an observation (I'd call it a truism).

Aug 13, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #2,879 of 3,674
@mvvRAZ if you ever happen to pass through athens , would love to try your a18s (or any other toys you carry)

also congrats on winning the bird effect - you are one of the few who did not kneel to its glory :xf_cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back