RAZ's TOTL review and rambles thread, on life support
Aug 12, 2021 at 5:34 AM Post #2,851 of 3,674
Got it. But back to my point, the total cost for the Traili minus stock cable plus Aeneid will still be $5-6k.
Without speaking for Michael, I don't think he's ever said he won't pay $5K-$6K for a Traillii, but that he'd only do it with a better cable as bare minimum. Speaking only for myself, I'd also sell the stock cable to have any chance of affording the Bird one day. To me it's a $3K-$3.5K IEM with a mandatory (but reversible) cable upgrade.

Aug 12, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #2,852 of 3,674
Well not really - I don’t mind having a 10,000$ or a 15,000$ or a 20,000$ setup - I have nothing against that, but when I am paying these kind of prices I’d want every component to be exactly how I’d like it to be

What @gLer said :D

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #2,853 of 3,674
Well not really - I don’t mind having a 10,000$ or a 15,000$ or a 20,000$ setup - I have nothing against that, but when I am paying these kind of prices I’d want every component to be exactly how I’d like it to be

What @gLer said :D
So we're not going to see the Traillii in the classifieds? :D I already missed a chance with one by few hours :frowning2:

Anyway my hopes are on Legend EVO now, if it turns out what people are predicting it to be, then I'll go that route!

Aug 12, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #2,854 of 3,674
So we're not going to see the Traillii in the classifieds? :D I already missed a chance with one by few hours :frowning2:

Anyway my hopes are on Legend EVO now, if it turns out what people are predicting it to be, then I'll go that route!
Not yet. I have the X coming, and the elysium EXT too - if either matches my preferences better than the trailli it’s a goner :D I am really enjoying it after some DAP/cable/tip adjustments, but I can’t say it’s like a 100% match for my preferences

Aug 12, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #2,855 of 3,674
Not yet. I have the X coming, and the elysium EXT too - if either matches my preferences better than the trailli it’s a goner :D I am really enjoying it after some DAP/cable/tip adjustments, but I can’t say it’s like a 100% match for my preferences
I am guessing the bird will not have it's freedom soon 🤣
I am very hopefull of VE's new iems for sure 👍

Aug 12, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #2,856 of 3,674

I am with you. I am going to try to hear it at the end of the month.

Aug 12, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #2,857 of 3,674
The treble on these really is what it's hyped to be, and after the cable sale it'll actually bring the total cost of acquisition to under 3000$ for me, which is within what I was willing to pay for the set... oh well how times change :D
Haha. I convinced myself early on that I was never going to buy a $6000 IEM that doing so would be foolish. Then, I saw the impressions from lots of people I respect. I kept telling myself that I am a DD guy. No way I am going to buy an expensive IEM with BA bass. It can't be any good. Then, I saw a resale sell for $4900 and I decided I wasn't going to be able to hear it for a long time unless I bit the bullet. So, I bought one at the Memorial Day sale from MusicTeck thinking I could just sell it if I didn't like it. As soon as I got it, I listened to it and I wanted to hate it, but I couldn't. I really liked it. So, I decided to keep it and now, I am not against buying an IEM more than $5000.

Aug 12, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #2,858 of 3,674
Got it. But back to my point, the total cost for the Traili minus stock cable plus Aeneid will still be $5-6k.
A pure bargain vs the orphy!

Aug 12, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #2,859 of 3,674
As someone who now liked both - How would you compere Thummim with Trailli? 🤔

Aug 12, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #2,860 of 3,674
I find the traillii to be much more cohesive than the thum. Detail and staging are on another level and treble on traillii is the best I’ve heard to date.

Bass reaches deeper on the traillii despite it being a ba, and overall timbre and tonality is completely spot on with the bird vs the thum’s exaggerated and colored sound.

For reference, I was not a big fan of the thum, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I also didn’t find the thum to be worth its price, whereas with the traillii, I actually think it does deserve to be as expensive as it is…but admit it’s downright ridiculous.

I also agree heavily the bird needs a different cable…I went with the orphy.

🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #2,861 of 3,674
I think the logic of being able to sell the stock cable to reduce cost of ownership is 100% correct. The only time this won't be true is the very few people on here that are mature/strong enough to only have one setup. I really wish I was I could do that but if I buy Traillii, sell the cable and use one I already have, I certainly spent +/-$4k for the bird. Don't think I need to add back in the cost of the cable I already owned. I certainly see the other point of view though.

Aug 12, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #2,862 of 3,674
As someone who now liked both - How would you compere Thummim with Trailli? 🤔
Thummim has a thicker sound all-around with an emphasis on texture. Traillii is more agile and snappier with its transients, while retaining similar dynamics. Thummim is one of the few monitors that can compare to Traillii staging in terms of width, but it will not layer on the depth axis as efficiently due to the colored, thicker notes.

Traillii focuses on subbass more than Thummim which is heavy on midbass. Traillii bass has quicker decay and IMO, is more versatile across multiple genres. Mids are more musical/wet on Traillii, meanwhile Thummim mids are perhaps a bit recessed/dry. Strong treble sparkle and air from both monitors, but I felt Traillii had more clarity in the higher frequencies (and overall).

They're pretty good compliments in some ways, although I'd personally prefer a mid-centric IEM to compliment each one since mids you can argue are not what they specialize in.

Obviously build on Thummim is more unique, but fit issues can be a concern. Thummim is also more source sensitive and requires more power, thus why impressions are all over the place. Anyone who heard it as extremely muddy/small staging, IMO, likely just had a poor synergy with it. Bird pairs much more consistently and easier with sources.

Curious if Michael hears it similarly!

Aug 12, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #2,863 of 3,674
Thummim has a thicker sound all-around with an emphasis on texture. Traillii is more agile and snappier with its transients, while retaining similar dynamics. Thummim is one of the few monitors that can compare to Traillii staging in terms of width, but it will not layer on the depth axis as efficiently due to the colored, thicker notes.

Traillii focuses on subbass more than Thummim which is heavy on midbass. Traillii bass has quicker decay and IMO, is more versatile across multiple genres. Mids are more musical/wet on Traillii, meanwhile Thummim mids are perhaps a bit recessed/dry. Strong treble sparkle and air from both monitors, but I felt Traillii had more clarity in the higher frequencies (and overall).

They're pretty good compliments in some ways, although I'd personally prefer a mid-centric IEM to compliment each one since mids you can argue are not what they specialize in.

Obviously build on Thummim is more unique, but fit issues can be a concern. Thummim is also more source sensitive and requires more power, thus why impressions are all over the place. Anyone who heard it as extremely muddy/small staging, IMO, likely just had a poor synergy with it. Bird pairs much more consistently and easier with sources.

Curious if Michael hears it similarly!
Cannot speak for Michael, but I do.
You describe Thummim very well and provide context as to why the feedback has been so polarized.

For me they are compliments and I also appreciate having yet another choice with mids emphasis.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #2,864 of 3,674
The thummim and traillii to me are honestly not that different - the Thummim has a thicker, heavier and more exciting sound, but they both have exceptional staging, really well implemented estat treble and some of the most unique IEM sound money can buy. Considering the difference in presentation, I also find them pretty much perfectly complementary - I’ll most likely be purchasing it again soon after trying out the other new releases. I keep putting it off but I did spend an outrageous amount of time with it before selling it

Also to echo what @tawmizzzz posted, the thummim is very source dependent and really needs the right DAP to shine

Aug 13, 2021 at 1:19 AM Post #2,865 of 3,674
The thummim and traillii to me are honestly not that different - the Thummim has a thicker, heavier and more exciting sound, but they both have exceptional staging, really well implemented estat treble and some of the most unique IEM sound money can buy. Considering the difference in presentation, I also find them pretty much perfectly complementary - I’ll most likely be purchasing it again soon after trying out the other new releases. I keep putting it off but I did spend an outrageous amount of time with it before selling it

Also to echo what @tawmizzzz posted, the thummim is very source dependent and really needs the right DAP to shine
The only TOTL IEM I’ve used recently is the Thummim - but having used it extensively I think I can attest what it excels at - and its not so much a frequency response (bass, treble, etc.) but genre that stands out to me: it is a freakin awesome pop/rock IEM. My IEM use differs from many I suppose - I only use them while expending energy of some sort (most often out and about on trails) - I would like to call it running, a jaded observer of a balding dude may call it power walking or galloping or traipsing. I concur with the masses in saying it excels with a powerful source (great with a Shanling M8 or a BTR5 - with the latter used much more often by yours truly as the whimsical nature of Hawaiian rainfalls makes me shudder at bricking a kilobuck DAP from an unforeseen shower). When trying to cajole my dwindling power reserve in the pursuit of exercise for my health, I find the best cattle prods are not symphonies or jazz trios - and while I enjoy those in the setting of sedentary pursuits like reading or gaming or puttering - I need the familiar go-getters to rev up the mammalian middle aged engine - AC/DC, Petty, Rush and ranging even to latest EDM/pop. And it does it spectacularly. It’s a niche product to be sure. It’s a food truck serving tacos on fine china.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back