Rank the IEM's you've heard
Oct 27, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #2,641 of 5,141
Yesterday, I had a 2 hour listening session with about 7 or 8 different high end IEMs. It was done in a blind listening test so as to not bias me by brand. Based on my reading, I thought that the u12t would be the best fit for my needs. I told the dealer that I have eclectic musical taste. I listen to everything from Classical (symphony orchestra, violin and piano concertos, classical guitar) and Jazz (big band, bossa nova, small group combos, modern) to classic rock, 80s music and pop. I have decent solutions for every genre except classical music. Nothing I own can carry The Marriage of Figaro Sinfonia. Other high end products I've listened to either seared my ears with bright treble and/or lacked sufficient warmth to satisfy my need for a neutral sound signature that leans warm. None of the warmer cans or IEMs can reveal the detail required to decompose properly that avalanche of sound coming from that piece.... until now.

In the mix for my listening session were Ultimate Ears, JH Audio and 64 Audio IEMs. I was able to rule out almost immediately the UE and JH Audio IEMs. None of them compared favorably to any of the 64 Audio products. It took me less than 60 seconds to rule them out as non-competitive. So, I ended up spending nearly all of my time on the u12t, u18u and u18s even though they were distributed randomly in the listening session. All 3 sounded great. Amazingly, for the first time, I heard The Marriage of Figaro Sinfonia with the level of detail, resolution, clarity and warmth that I have been seeking. But, as I listened to other music genres, I found the bass to be lacking in the u12t and u18t. The last IEM I was present was the u18s. I actually reacted very emotionally when I heard the music. It has the perfect balance for me. I was only able to compare the u12t to the u18s and the u18t to u18s. I ran out of time so I couldn't compare the u12t to the u18s. The u18s was by far the best match for me and by a country mile. I was a Jazz musician. When I first learned how to play in tune, my director told me that you listen to your sound relative to the other instruments and adjust your pitch until the chord lights up. The u12s really lit up for me where I actually had an emotional reaction to the sound of the music. The sound stage was unbelievable. It actually sounded like full open back headphones. I've got to get me a set of these IEMs.

I haven't had the chance to hear any Vision Ear, Noble Audio, Campfire Audio or Thieaudio IEMs since I am so new to this hobby. But at least I have a baseline for what an end game IEM needs to do emotionally and technically to get my consideration.

So, to answer the question of the thread. Best IEMs I've heard. Each space separates tiers of sound quality.

64 Audio u18s

64 Audio u12t (about even)
64 Audio u18t (about even)

Ultimate Ears 18+
Shure se846

Ultimate Ears Live
JH Audio Roxanne
JH Audio Jimi

Sony WF-1000xm3
Airpod Pros
Airpod Classic

Oct 30, 2020 at 2:19 AM Post #2,642 of 5,141
1) Noble Khan with Noble 8 Core OCC Copper Wire.
Better on balanced output. Can pick up noise on non-balanced output.
2) 64 Audio U18t with Noble 8 Core OCC Copper Wire.
3) 64 Audio U12t with Noble 8 Core OCC Copper Wire.
4) Noble Kaiser 10 Universal with Noble Khan Cable
5) Noble Savant II

Honorable mention)
iSine10 (lacks any warmth)
Noble X

Don't like)
RHA CL2 (over rated)
RHA CL1 (hurts to listen)

Source systems:
1) Surface Pro i3 Foobar2000 to Hugo2 to HeadAmp GS-X Mini. KimberKable Interconnects.
2) Surface Pro i3 Foobar2000 to Astell Kerns SP2000 Cu
3) Astell Kerns Kann Cube

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2020 at 4:47 AM Post #2,643 of 5,141
Only going with what I own/owned:

1. Sony IER-Z1R (best presentation, best bass, best soundstage, best "wow" factor; but hard to find good fit and not comfortable, too "high maintenance" - any sudden movements of my head or ears and I can lose the seal, fatiguing after awhile, heavy, metal scratches easily, require a good powerful DAC/amp not easy to drive)
2. Shure KSE-1500 (best details/resolution, best speed/most transient, electrostatic sound signature, very good fit and comfort and light; but small soundstage, not very portable with the amp)
3. Westone W80 (best daily usable wired IEM, balance of everything, best comfort, least fatigue, most versatile, portable, works with any DAC/amp - pairs well with Qudelix-5K)
4. Noble Encore (I remember it to be good sounding, wide soundstage, nice trebles, but I tried so many tips none of which fit and the bore size was way too big, ears hurt after only 15 minutes)
5. Westone W60 v2 (basically a W80 with a more intimate soundstage, better for vocals than instrumentals, great for the price for $400 new)
6. Shure SE846 (my favorite bass before Z1R, but mediocre mid/and rolled off treble, ok soundstage)
7. Apple Airpod Pro (by far the MOST used, supremely convenient, superb noise cancellation on airplane better than the passive cancellation offered by comply P series deep insertion, actually decent bass, surprisingly good overall presentation, best for watching youtube videos and casual music listening rather than critical listening).
8. Westone W3 (my first foray into Westone's, bought this along with Vsonic GR07, Klipsch X10, and RHA MA750 and returned all the rest and kept the Westone, exciting sound, got my into liking Westone's a lot later on)
9. Westone UM Pro 50 (a bit too dark sounding, it's obviously a monitor for professionals rather one that presents music, but very accurate sounding as a result)
10. Westone W40 (balanced presentation, neutral, does everything a bit but nothing too well. good entry IEM for most people)
11. Shure SE535 (Shure's version of W40, less dark, more flat sounding, less interesting)
12. Vsonic GR07 Bass Edition (don't remember much, but was pretty balanced, wasn't as enjoyable as the W3 though)
13. Klipsch Image X10 (very good fit, bit too small and fragile, feels like it's going to break apart easily)
14. RHA MA750 (didn't sound as good as Vsonic, bought together, had a terrible fit for me and did not like the metallic casing)
15. Shure E3C (my first ever "audiophile" IEM, hated the fit and didn't understand how to insert the tips)
16. Klipsch S4 (lots of bass, bit bloated, I used this for a long time back in the days with my iriver H340 mp3 player... wow this brings back the nostalgia feels)

Nov 9, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #2,648 of 5,141
Shouer tape that good? Might just get a pair for a daily beater!

Nov 9, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #2,649 of 5,141
The tape pro has been released already and seems to adress a lot of complaints about the original tape.

Nov 10, 2020 at 4:01 AM Post #2,650 of 5,141
you better get the Pro. The better tuned version. Both has the same driver. Earbridge magnetostatic which is known for its transients.

Nov 10, 2020 at 4:41 AM Post #2,651 of 5,141
Here’s my take:

1. LCDi4
2. Erlky
3. Fir Audio M5
4. Z1R, Elysium
5. itsfit Fusion
6. Sony M9, Tia Trio
7. PP8VS, Fitear EST
8. Fitear MH335DW

Nov 12, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #2,652 of 5,141
Here’s my take:

1. LCDi4
2. Erlky
3. Fir Audio M5
4. Z1R, Elysium
5. itsfit Fusion
6. Sony M9, Tia Trio
7. PP8VS, Fitear EST
8. Fitear MH335DW
LCDi4 at the top spot, even above Erlky. Wow, must be mighty impressive.

Nov 12, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #2,653 of 5,141
Nov 17, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #2,654 of 5,141
Updated list. I think it's time to move to a tiered version as I find it pretty hard to choose between most of these now.

S Tier

Empire Ears Legend X SE
Sony IER-Z1R
Vision Ears Erlkönig LE

The three IEM's that hit my preferences the best out of what I've heard.

S- Tier

Empire Ears Odin
MMR Thummim

Technically equal, if not better than the S tier's, but don't quite hit my personal preferences as well as they do.

A Tier

64 Audio A18s *I've only heard the universal demo unit which I suspect sounds different to the custom version based on friends impressions that have the CIEM.
64 Audio Tia Fourte Noir
64 Audio U12t
Noble Sultan

A- Tier

Campfire Audio Solaris 2020/SE
Empire Ears Legend X
QDC Anole VX
Sony IER-M9

B Tier

64 Audio Nio
Campfire Audio Andromeda S
Rhapsodio Infinity Mk II *More of a preference issue. Very capable IEM with excellent mids and treble, but not enough bass for my basshead needs :)
Sony XBA-Z5

B- Tier

FAudio Major
Sony EX1000
Sony XBA-N3

C Tier

BLON BL-05s
KZ ZAX
Sony EX800ST
Tin HiFi T4

C- Tier

BLON BL-03
Sony MH1C
Sony MH755

D Tier

KZ ZSX
Sony XB90EX
Sony XBA-4

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #2,655 of 5,141
Well done with your diplomatic way in describing your difference of S Tier and S- Tier

Users who are viewing this thread

Back