Rank the IEM's you've heard
Dec 17, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #2,656 of 5,197
End of 2020 Update #1

These are my current rankings based on how much I enjoy the IEM in question...it isn't a statement of their competence relative to what they set out to do.

Tier 1-- the "I could live with one of these as my only IEM" tier

1) Campfire Audio Andromeda MW10 => I can't say for sure if the MW10's completely capturing my heart in the few hours since I got them is due to how much I've missed the "Andro sound" since selling my 2020 vs. whatever "secret sauce" the MW10 may have over other versions of the Andromeda...but holy balls are these utterly captivating to listen to.
2) Solaris SE/2020 => Balalnced and highly engaging all rounder. There are other IEMs that excel them at certain things but I haven't found anything that does "everything" as well to my ears. I've never crossed the $3K threshold either yet, so there's that. The SE and 2020 are way more similar than different and I'm tempted to say that the 2020 is a slightly refined version of the SE but I need more time with the former to establish that for myself.
3) Andromeda 2020 => These comprise much of the essential DNA of my #2, but a little more coherent and minus the dynamic bass.
4) Unique Melody MEST => Addicting sub-bass, peerless staging and technicalities relative to what I have heard, and an airy top end sparkle. Ultimately they are a little more "v-shaped" than I like and on the whole I prefer the more forward and organic mids and balanced sound of IEMs like the Andromeda and Solaris.
5) VE8 => Very similar to #1 & 3, to my ears different primarily in that they sacrifice a bit of space between notes/instruments for a lusher, slightly more vibrant sound.

Tier 2-- the "each of these do something better than anything else in its class but ultimately don't work as well for me as an all rounder" tier.

6) Legend X => Bass of the gods...peerless with certain genres, but not really an all-rounder.
7) Anole VX => My favorite bass from a BA set...a little fatiguing in the upper mids/lower treble...but that's its only real drawback. Superbly detailed, vibrant and (imho) highly engaging.
8) u12t => I understand the love for these but I can't relate to it. They're simply not exciting enough to engage me for long.
9) IER Z1R => Delicious bass but imho not worth the sacrifice to the lower mids. Signature wowed me at first but on the whole I found it a little fatiguing and disjointed between the highs and lows.
10) Atlas => Loads of fun but treble can be intense at times and didn't really succeed as an all-rounder for me.

This is, of course, entirely a work in progress. I should have an Elysium and VE8 tour package within a couple weeks so I will probably end 2020 with another update.

Dec 17, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #2,657 of 5,197
End of 2020 Update #1

These are my current rankings based on how much I enjoy the IEM in question...it isn't a statement of their competence relative to what they set out to do.

1) Campfire Audio Andromeda MW10 => I can't say for sure if the MW10's completely capturing my heart in the few hours since I got them is due to how much I've missed the "Andro sound" since selling my 2020 vs. whatever "secret sauce" the MW10 may have over other versions of the Andromeda...but holy balls are these utterly captivating to listen to.
2) Solaris SE/2020 => Balalnced and highly engaging all rounder. There are other IEMs that excel them at certain things but I haven't found anything that does "everything" as well to my ears. I've never crossed the $3K threshold either yet, so there's that. The SE and 2020 are way more similar than different and I'm tempted to say that the 2020 is a slightly refined version of the SE but I need more time with the former to establish that for myself.
3) Andromeda 2020 => These comprise much of the essential DNA of my #2, but a little more coherent and minus the dynamic bass.
4) Unique Melody MEST => Addicting sub-bass, peerless staging and technicalities relative to what I have heard, and an airy top end sparkle. Ultimately they are a little more "v-shaped" than I like and on the whole I prefer the more forward and organic mids and balanced sound of IEMs like the Andromeda and Solaris.
5) VE8 => Very similar to #1 & 3, to my ears different primarily in that they sacrifice a bit of space between notes/instruments for a lusher, slightly more vibrant sound.

Tier 2-- the "each of these do something better than anything else in its class but ultimately don't work as well for me as an all rounder" tier.

6) Legend X => Bass of the gods...peerless with certain genres, but not really an all-rounder.
7) Anole VX => My favorite bass from a BA set...a little fatiguing in the upper mids/lower treble...but that's its only real drawback. Superbly detailed, vibrant and (imho) highly engaging.
8) u12t => I understand the love for these but I can't relate to it. They're simply not exciting enough to engage me for long.
9) IER Z1R => Delicious bass but imho not worth the sacrifice to the lower mids. Signature wowed me at first but on the whole I found it a little fatiguing and disjointed between the highs and lows.
10) Atlas => Loads of fun but treble can be intense at times and didn't really succeed as an all-rounder for me.

This is, of course, entirely a work in progress. I should have an Elysium and VE8 tour package within a couple weeks so I will probably end 2020 with another update.
now u realized that endgame materials are for lusher, warmer, but has excellent transparency at the same time. I can see all the top picks from you has those criteria, VX is a bit of phase :wink:
I wanted to try the andro2020 tbh. Havent got any chance lately!

Dec 17, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #2,658 of 5,197
End of 2020 Update #1

Excellent list and explanations!

Dec 17, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #2,659 of 5,197
now u realized that endgame materials are for lusher, warmer, but has excellent transparency at the same time. I can see all the top picks from you has those criteria, VX is a bit of phase :wink:
I wanted to try the andro2020 tbh. Havent got any chance lately!

Day 2# with MEST for me, so still early, but I'm putting my ORIOLUS reborn just slightly above it because of tuning (subjective), but the former is a technical juggernaut.

Dec 17, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #2,660 of 5,197
End of 2020 Update #1

I agree with @twiceboss , this is one of the best detailed list I've seen in a long time! Alas, could provide a detailed comparison between MEST and Andy2020?Cheers bud!

Dec 17, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #2,661 of 5,197
I agree with @twiceboss , this is one of the best detailed list I've seen in a long time! Alas, could provide a detailed comparison between MEST and Andy2020?Cheers bud!

MEST is technically superior and has much harder hitting and dominant bass/highs...ie., the "more v-shaped" comment I made. This can be a double edged sword though as when listening to the MEST I often find myself zoning out on the bass or technical detail while ignoring everything else whereas imho the Andro does a better job at drawing your attention to the entirety of the sonic spectrum. The mids on the whole are more organic sounding than on the MEST where, occasionally they sound a little "digitized" (for lack of a better word) and are further back in the mix.

On the MEST I tend to get lost in and absorbed by the "pyrotechnics" of it all whereas on the Andro I tend to get swept off my feet by whatever it is I am listening to. They are both among the best at what they do but the Andro ultimately suits my tastes more.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #2,662 of 5,197
Seeing as @Rockwell75 has started the MW10 hype train, I figure I should add some fuel to the fire :D

Here's my update for the end of 2020.

S Tier

Campfire Audio Andromeda MW10 -
I don't know what it is about this IEM but it just blows my mind every time I listen to it. One of the most engaging IEM's I've heard. The BA bass is probably it's only real weakness (that's a nitpick - it still has great bass for a BA), but the mids/treble/soundstage/imaging and overall tuning is fantastic. Love it.
Empire Ears Legend X SE
Sony IER-Z1R
Vision Ears Erlkönig LE

S- Tier

64 Audio Tia Trio -
Favourite 64 Audio IEM I've heard to date.
Empire Ears Odin
MMR Thummim

A Tier

64 Audio Nio -
Moving Nio further up the list now that I've heard it with a more appropriate source and using the mX modules.
64 Audio Tia Fourte Noir
64 Audio U12t
Noble Sultan

A- Tier

64 Audio A18s
Campfire Audio Solaris 2020/SE
Empire Ears Legend X
QDC Anole VX
Sony IER-M9

B Tier

Campfire Audio Andromeda S
Sony XBA-Z5

B- Tier

FAudio Major
Sony EX1000
Sony XBA-N3

C Tier

BLON BL-05s
KZ ZAX
Sony EX800ST
Tin HiFi T4

C- Tier

BLON BL-03
Sony MH1C
Sony MH755

D Tier

KZ ZSX
Rhapsodio Infinity Mk II
Sony XB90EX
Sony XBA-4

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020 at 12:16 AM Post #2,663 of 5,197
Seeing as @Rockwell75 has started the MW10 hype train, I figure I should add some fuel to the fire :D

In fairness while I have been coveting this IEM since its release just for the color scheme alone your reports were among the decisive factors which pushed me to start seeking one in earnest :)

B0E17A18-6929-4168-9668-31CEC59EAC5D.JPEG

Dec 18, 2020 at 1:52 AM Post #2,664 of 5,197
In fairness while I have been coveting this IEM since its release just for the color scheme alone your reports were among the decisive factors which pushed me to start seeking one in earnest :)

B0E17A18-6929-4168-9668-31CEC59EAC5D.JPEG
How MW10 differs from Andro V3?

Dec 18, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #2,665 of 5,197

Here's my update for the end of 2020.

S Tier

Campfire Audio Andromeda MW10 -
I don't know what it is about this IEM but it just blows my mind every time I listen to it. One of the most engaging IEM's I've heard. The BA bass is probably it's only real weakness (that's a nitpick - it still has great bass for a BA), but the mids/treble/soundstage/imaging and overall tuning is fantastic. Love it.
Empire Ears Legend X SE
Sony IER-Z1R
Vision Ears Erlkönig LE

S- Tier

64 Audio Tia Trio -
Favourite 64 Audio IEM I've heard to date.
Empire Ears Odin
MMR Thummim

A Tier

64 Audio Nio -
Moving Nio further up the list now that I've heard it with a more appropriate source and using the mX modules.
64 Audio Tia Fourte Noir
64 Audio U12t
Noble Sultan

A- Tier

64 Audio A18s
Campfire Audio Solaris 2020/SE
Empire Ears Legend X
QDC Anole VX
Sony IER-M9

B Tier

Campfire Audio Andromeda S
Rhapsodio Infinity Mk II
Sony XBA-Z5

B- Tier

FAudio Major
Sony EX1000
Sony XBA-N3

C Tier

BLON BL-05s
KZ ZAX
Sony EX800ST
Tin HiFi T4

C- Tier

BLON BL-03
Sony MH1C
Sony MH755

D Tier

KZ ZSX
Sony XB90EX
Sony XBA-4
I love the price spectrum of your list! Very eclectic?

Dec 18, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #2,666 of 5,197
Noteable iems for me. No tiers. Just what my ears liked and what sounded good on what i focus on.

1. VE Erlkonig - The best detail retrieval iem to date, for me. The only downside is every VE iem has treble hotness that hurts my ears. Usually found with Cymbal crashes.
2. MMR Thummim - Very nice sounding iem with the next best detail retrieval. This would be the one to get for me but only if it were a $2000 iem.
3. 64A 18s - Not far behind the MMR but i like that DD bass better and so this gets the third slot.
4. Fir M5 - This one surprised me more than i thought it would. Great mid-range.
5. EE LX - i can't remember how this sounded but it had to have made an impression since i kept throwing tracks at it to see how THIS song would sound.
6. UM Mest - not much to be said great all arounder.
6. QDC Anole VX - Loved this at first but after listening to other options i now see what it lacks.
7. Pola 39 - This has a place in my heart. Really enjoyed the funness it brought to tracks.
8. VE VE8 - This is imo their best iem. The midrange was amazing to my ears but again, that treble hotness issue.

Dec 19, 2020 at 4:19 AM Post #2,667 of 5,197
Added: Oriveti OH800, soon will be Blessing 2

1/2. IER M9 (Scarily balance with top notch timbre, imaging king)
1/2. KSE1200 (Scarily details with outstanding imaging, thin ish vocals)
3. EX1000/Oriveti OH800 (Biggest soundstage for imaging but cant do well in a crowded track/800, top tier tonality wise but fall short in the subbass region 60hzbelow and imaging )
4. ER2SE (Cheapest, most coherent, most details at this price range)
5. Rai Penta/ Solaris (Penta - Controlled bass with top notch vocal presentation-lack highs and imaging, Solaris - has controlled bass and smooth vocals but the texture&clarity of the vocals are not good enough to be in the top 3)
6. Anole VX (Outstanding details but sounds artificial, imaging is average - boosted bass is a con - jack of all trades, master of none)
7. CL2/ iSINE20/ EX800st/ YB04 (CL2 vocals is like an old speaker setup, 20&800 are open but with low res, YB04 is more mids and highs centric it sounds coherent enough and well implemented)
8. Empire Ears EVR (outstanding vocals separation but lacks of highs and imaging)
9. Andromeda V3/ Fearless S8 Pro ( Andro is a good all rounder but with lacking vocals, S8 Pro sounds to have better lows extension but still suffer from excellent vocals)
10. CA Comet (Best all rounder for relax warm listening at this price)

thoughts: IER M9 will be undergoing some more considerations due to the woofers transients, (which actually can be fix with source but it is pretty rare to find one), also I find myself enjoying Comet than AndromedaV3 but tech wise Andro is still on top, I will let it remains first.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #2,668 of 5,197
Added: Oriveti OH800, soon will be Blessing 2

1/2. IER M9 (Scarily balance with top notch timbre, imaging king)
1/2. KSE1200 (Scarily details with outstanding imaging, thin ish vocals)
3. EX1000/Oriveti OH800 (Biggest soundstage for imaging but cant do well in a crowded track/800, top tier tonality wise but fall short in the subbass region 60hzbelow and imaging )
4. ER2SE (Cheapest, most coherent, most details at this price range)
5. Rai Penta/ Solaris (Penta - Controlled bass with top notch vocal presentation-lack highs and imaging, Solaris - has controlled bass and smooth vocals but the texture&clarity of the vocals are not good enough to be in the top 3)
6. Anole VX (Outstanding details but sounds artificial, imaging is average - boosted bass is a con - jack of all trades, master of none)
7. CL2/ iSINE20/ EX800st/ YB04 (CL2 vocals is like an old speaker setup, 20&800 are open but with low res, YB04 is more mids and highs centric it sounds coherent enough and well implemented)
8. Empire Ears EVR (outstanding vocals separation but lacks of highs and imaging)
9. Andromeda V3/ Fearless S8 Pro ( Andro is a good all rounder but with lacking vocals, S8 Pro sounds to have better lows extension but still suffer from excellent vocals)
10. CA Comet (Best all rounder for relax warm listening at this price)

thoughts: IER M9 will be undergoing some more considerations due to the woofers transients, (which actually can be fix with source but it is pretty rare to find one), also I find myself enjoying Comet than AndromedaV3 but tech wise Andro is still on top, I will let it remains first.

How close is the yb04 to andromeda in terms of resolution? Tia

Dec 19, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #2,669 of 5,197
How close is the yb04 to andromeda in terms of resolution? Tia
Would love to answer but a bit too long from my memory I would say resolution on Andro isnt that mindblowing, it is just a decent kilobuck, that's all. Problem with androv3 is the clarity in mids is not its strength due to low pinna.

Edit; i should have use vocals instead of mids. The lower mids is quite good but not the upper mids where the pinna gain area is.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #2,670 of 5,197
I love wide soundstages with good imaging and an even width / depth ratio. I don't have preferences for tuning, I like / prefer warmth but also neutral reference soundings.
Owned every in ear but UERM. Right now I only have the Blessing 2, my goldilocks IEM =)

1. Prophile 8 ( Soundstage could be larger, everything else is sublime)
2. Blessing 2 ( the Value King, for me the UERM made available. Tuning and soundstage are so good)
2.5 UERM
3. Oriolus MK2 ( I miss their lush mids so much)
4. Andromeda (dat Soundstage tho.. still dreaming of it)
5. AK T8ie MK2
5.5 Xelento
5.6 Final E5000
6. Stagediver 4
7. Shure SE846
8. Audio Technica IM03
9. UE900s

Disappointments:
Earsonics ES5 ( puhh, I never got warm with its sounding. More depth than with soundstage and thin sounding. The bass is tuned perfectly to my liking tho, one of the best I've heard.)
Sony EX - 1000 ( THAT TREBLE PEAK. it hurt my ears so much, I've never had that with any other In ears. If it weren't for that, I would have loved the sound)

Heard many more, but these are my favs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back