Rank the IEM's you've heard
Dec 19, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #2,671 of 5,197
End of 2020 Update #1

These are my current rankings based on how much I enjoy the IEM in question...it isn't a statement of their competence relative to what they set out to do.

Tier 1-- the "I could live with one of these as my only IEM" tier

1) Campfire Audio Andromeda MW10 => I can't say for sure if the MW10's completely capturing my heart in the few hours since I got them is due to how much I've missed the "Andro sound" since selling my 2020 vs. whatever "secret sauce" the MW10 may have over other versions of the Andromeda...but holy balls are these utterly captivating to listen to.
2) Solaris SE/2020 => Balalnced and highly engaging all rounder. There are other IEMs that excel them at certain things but I haven't found anything that does "everything" as well to my ears. I've never crossed the $3K threshold either yet, so there's that. The SE and 2020 are way more similar than different and I'm tempted to say that the 2020 is a slightly refined version of the SE but I need more time with the former to establish that for myself.
3) Andromeda 2020 => These comprise much of the essential DNA of my #2, but a little more coherent and minus the dynamic bass.
4) Unique Melody MEST => Addicting sub-bass, peerless staging and technicalities relative to what I have heard, and an airy top end sparkle. Ultimately they are a little more "v-shaped" than I like and on the whole I prefer the more forward and organic mids and balanced sound of IEMs like the Andromeda and Solaris.
5) VE8 => Very similar to #1 & 3, to my ears different primarily in that they sacrifice a bit of space between notes/instruments for a lusher, slightly more vibrant sound.

Tier 2-- the "each of these do something better than anything else in its class but ultimately don't work as well for me as an all rounder" tier.

6) Legend X => Bass of the gods...peerless with certain genres, but not really an all-rounder.
7) Anole VX => My favorite bass from a BA set...a little fatiguing in the upper mids/lower treble...but that's its only real drawback. Superbly detailed, vibrant and (imho) highly engaging.
8) u12t => I understand the love for these but I can't relate to it. They're simply not exciting enough to engage me for long.
9) IER Z1R => Delicious bass but imho not worth the sacrifice to the lower mids. Signature wowed me at first but on the whole I found it a little fatiguing and disjointed between the highs and lows.
10) Atlas => Loads of fun but treble can be intense at times and didn't really succeed as an all-rounder for me.

This is, of course, entirely a work in progress. I should have an Elysium and VE8 tour package within a couple weeks so I will probably end 2020 with another update.
This is one impressive list of IEMs. Do you own them all?

Dec 19, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #2,672 of 5,197
Noteable iems for me. No tiers. Just what my ears liked and what sounded good on what i focus on.

1. VE Erlkonig - The best detail retrieval iem to date, for me. The only downside is every VE iem has treble hotness that hurts my ears. Usually found with Cymbal crashes.
2. MMR Thummim - Very nice sounding iem with the next best detail retrieval. This would be the one to get for me but only if it were a $2000 iem.
3. 64A 18s - Not far behind the MMR but i like that DD bass better and so this gets the third slot.
4. Fir M5 - This one surprised me more than i thought it would. Great mid-range.
5. EE LX - i can't remember how this sounded but it had to have made an impression since i kept throwing tracks at it to see how THIS song would sound.
6. UM Mest - not much to be said great all arounder.
6. QDC Anole VX - Loved this at first but after listening to other options i now see what it lacks.
7. Pola 39 - This has a place in my heart. Really enjoyed the funness it brought to tracks.
8. VE VE8 - This is imo their best iem. The midrange was amazing to my ears but again, that treble hotness issue.
When I first got the VE8s, I had a sibilance problem. But, I got a nice silver plated copper cable and it completely solved it.

Dec 19, 2020 at 10:36 PM Post #2,673 of 5,197
I don't recall if there were sibilance issues but i did use a silver cable. There's just this odd clipping/harshness on cymbals and an almost chagning of tone. It sounds different than the 2 seconds prior. I think its somewhere upper mids/lower treble area. It hurts. Very hard to explain unless you've experienced it or know exactly what im talking about. I'm not saying you dont. Its just the best i can voice it.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #2,674 of 5,197
This is one impressive list of IEMs. Do you own them all?

Not all at once but I have owned all of them except the u12t and MEST...but I had each of those on hand for a few weeks so I could solidify some firm impressions of them.

When I first got the VE8s, I had a sibilance problem. But, I got a nice silver plated copper cable and it completely solved it.

I sold my VE8 largely because of sibilance and harshness in the highs. The one I owned was a 3rd party re-shell though. I should have a legit VE VE8 demo unit (along with the Ely) in my hands in a couple weeks as part of a tour...will be interesting to see if the VE VE8 sounds like my re-shelled one did. I've heard many complaints about sibilance in the VE8 though, which is interesting.

Dec 20, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #2,675 of 5,197
I am not such an experienced IEM user but still want to share my list.

Andromeda 2020 - Bought just based on the many reviews I read. This is the first IEM I listened to that I like just as much as full-sized headphones. They have astonishing treble, the mids are also very to my liking. The bass though, while I think it‘s technically good, it‘s too light for me in some tracks. In other tracks, the bass is really there and then the Andromeda’s are so much fun to listen to! And they are super comfortable, it makes me forget I‘m actually wearing them - great! My only IEM currently.
Sony IER-Z1R - Also a blind buy. Like others said, they have such a nice bass & treble. I wasn‘t a fan of the recessed mids but could have lived with that. Still I had to send them back, unfortunately because of the fit. I literally tried all the tips available from LL to SS, triple comfort & silicon. I had a really good seal with different depth in my ear canal based on the different tips. But with all of them my inner ears began to hurt after a couple minutes listening time. Changed back and fourth, tried everything to omit the discomfort, returned after all failed attempts. And I have large ears, normally using L tips...
64 Audio U12t - Also bought based on reviews. The U12ts are very comfortable for me and I can live with the cable (think it‘s ok and the plug is great) and the plastic case. I loved the bass and found the u12t to be nearly just as good as the Z1Rs for the low end! I found the mids to be better than Z1R but not on the same level as the Andromedas. Eventually I also sent them back because of the (for my taste) rolled of treble and lack of fun/sparkle/extension in the highs. Would have kept them for 1k but the u12t are 2k in my region and I think this is too much to live with the treble performance...
Meze Rai Penta - One year ago I wanted to buy the Andromedas based on all the reviews. My (ex) audio dealer talked me out of the Andros and into the Rai Pentas, saying everybody who likes the Andros likes the Rai Pentas even more. Long story short, I liked the details with them. It was the best IEM I had listend to until then but in the long run I found them to be boring. Sold them for the Andros (finally...)
Shure SE846 - Bassheads classic. In comparison to the higher end IEMs they sound muffled to me, have rolled of treble. Actually not for me anymore. Sold them after 5 years.
Westone W60 - Liked their treble and overall clear presentation by the time. Final verdict from my current perspective like the Shures. Sold also after 5 years of usage.

Now I am looking for IEMS to complement the Andromeda’s with more fun in the bass department without sacrificing too much in the treble. My dream would be a U12t with treble sparkle.

I am close to pull the trigger on the UM MEST (living in the EU, I‘ll have to import from the U.S., unfortunately there doesn‘t seem to be a dealer for them in the EU). Other contenders I am thinking about:

• Solaris 2020 (some praise them even after months/years of using them, others find them to be mediocre. I‘m confused but based on many reviews I might like them)
  • Empire Ears Legend X (read a lot of positive reviews about them regarding my preference but I think >2k for an IEM is just too expensive + possible bass bleed in some tracks)
  • Vision Ears VE8 (not sure about them, also too expensive)
  • UM MEST Universal / Unique Melody (n1 contender today)
  • 64 Audio Nio (seem to have nice bass but knowing the U12t treble, these are probably not for me, most likely also rolled off treble?)

Based on my preference - will I like the MEST? My goal is to own no more than 3 Over-Ears and 2 IEMS which I love. I‘m done with Over Ears and will keep/keep on loving the Andros. So, only 1 to go :)

Just for reference, my 10 year traveled journey through many Over-Ear Headphones, these are my „beloved 3“:

• Senn HD800S (love love love the tremendous soundstage and treble performance. Mids also. Bass (which is technically very good when eq’ing) is there weak point. Still my all time favorite after all these years. Had the HD800 before.
  • Hifiman Arya (for me the best all-rounder. Really nice presentation, bass punch, great soundstage (not as huge as HD800S), very good treble. Mids are ok‘ish
  • Fostex TH900MK2 (yes, I like bass just as I like treble sparkle. TH900 bass is the best I‘ve aver heard. Period. These are my to-to cans for OST , Rap, Electronic...)
  • Focal Clear (just sold them for the Aryas due to lack of soundstage. Overall not special compared to my top 3. I am now very happy wits the Aryas as a substitute for the Clears)

Dec 20, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #2,676 of 5,197

Andromeda 2020 - Bought just based on the many reviews I read. This is the first IEM I listened to that I like just as much as full-sized headphones. They have astonishing treble, the mids are also very to my liking. The bass though, while I think it‘s technically good, it‘s too light for me in some tracks. In other tracks, the bass is really there and then the Andromeda’s are so much fun to listen to! And they are super comfortable, it makes me forget I‘m actually wearing them - great! My only IEM currently.
Sony IER-Z1R - Also a blind buy. Like others said, they have such a nice bass & treble. I wasn‘t a fan of the recessed mids but could have lived with that. Still I had to send them back, unfortunately because of the fit. I literally tried all the tips available from LL to SS, triple comfort & silicon. I had a really good seal with different depth in my ear canal based on the different tips. But with all of them my inner ears began to hurt after a couple minutes listening time. Changed back and fourth, tried everything to omit the discomfort, returned after all failed attempts. And I have large ears, normally using L tips...
64 Audio U12t - Also bought based on reviews. The U12ts are very comfortable for me and I can live with the cable (think it‘s ok and the plug is great) and the plastic case. I loved the bass and found the u12t to be nearly just as good as the Z1Rs for the low end! I found the mids to be better than Z1R but not on the same level as the Andromedas. Eventually I also sent them back because of the (for my taste) rolled of treble and lack of fun/sparkle/extension in the highs. Would have kept them for 1k but the u12t are 2k in my region and I think this is too much to live with the treble performance...
Meze Rai Penta - One year ago I wanted to buy the Andromedas based on all the reviews. My (ex) audio dealer talked me out of the Andros and into the Rai Pentas, saying everybody who likes the Andros likes the Rai Pentas even more. Long story short, I liked the details with them. It was the best IEM I had listend to until then but in the long run I found them to be boring. Sold them for the Andros (finally...)
Shure SE846 - Bassheads classic. In comparison to the higher end IEMs they sound muffled to me, have rolled of treble. Actually not for me anymore. Sold them after 5 years.
Westone W60 - Liked their treble and overall clear presentation by the time. Final verdict from my current perspective like the Shures. Sold also after 5 years of usage.

Now I am looking for IEMS to complement the Andromeda’s with more fun in the bass department without sacrificing too much in the treble. My dream would be a U12t with treble sparkle.

I am close to pull the trigger on the UM MEST (living in the EU, I‘ll have to import from the U.S., unfortunately there doesn‘t seem to be a dealer for them in the EU). Other contenders I am thinking about:

• Solaris 2020 (some praise them even after months/years of using them, others find them to be mediocre. I‘m confused but based on many reviews I might like them)
  • Empire Ears Legend X (read a lot of positive reviews about them regarding my preference but I think >2k for an IEM is just too expensive + possible bass bleed in some tracks)
  • 64 Audio Nio (seem to have nice bass but knowing the U12t treble, these are probably not for me, most likely also rolled off treble?)

Based on my preference - will I like the MEST? My goal is to own no more than 3 Over-Ears and 2 IEMS which I love. I‘m done with Over Ears and will keep/keep on loving the Andros. So, only 1 to go :)

Just for reference, my 10 year traveled journey through many Over-Ear Headphones, these are my „beloved 3“:

• Senn HD800S (love love love the tremendous soundstage and treble performance. Mids also. Bass (which is technically very good when eq’ing) is there weak point. Still my all time favorite after all these years. Had the HD800 before.
  • Hifiman Arya (for me the best all-rounder. Really nice presentation, bass punch, great soundstage (not as huge as HD800S), very good treble. Mids are ok‘ish
  • Fostex TH900MK2 (yes, I like bass just as I like treble sparkle. TH900 bass is the best I‘ve aver heard. Period. These are my to-to cans for OST , Rap, Electronic...)
  • Focal Clear (just sold them for the Aryas due to lack of soundstage. Overall not special compared to my top 3. I am now very happy wits the Aryas as a substitute for the Clears)
Haven’t tried the MEST but the LX’s treble definitely won’t be enough for you if the U12t wasn’t

Dec 20, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #2,677 of 5,197

I love the nio. But if you are looking for fun/excitement/sparkle in the treble, the nio are not for you. I dont think they lack extension. It's just that treble on them is very smooth, so you are not going to get that sparkle you seem to be after.

Dec 20, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #2,678 of 5,197

Great post thanks for sharing. Your thoughts on the Andro 2020 mirror mine and go some way to convincing me that the 2020 has more in common than not with with the MW10 I just received.

The MEST would be my rec-- it's a technical marvel with fantastic bass and treble and would be a great compliment to the Andro. (I love the Solaris but I don't have enough experience with the 2020 to negate the mixed reviews it gets.)

Edit: The Dorado 2020 might be another to consider.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #2,679 of 5,197
CharlyBrown I also like HE1000, Arya, Campfire...
I did not hear but many talk about Thieaudio Monarch and Clairvoyance, something like that it is on par with DD bass. I still think Campfire have something special "as treble, spaciousness, fun with still good balance sound... which one can maybe miss in other brands.

Dec 20, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #2,680 of 5,197
I don't recall if there were sibilance issues but i did use a silver cable. There's just this odd clipping/harshness on cymbals and an almost chagning of tone. It sounds different than the 2 seconds prior. I think its somewhere upper mids/lower treble area. It hurts. Very hard to explain unless you've experienced it or know exactly what im talking about. I'm not saying you dont. Its just the best i can voice it.
I had the exact same problem with a silver cable. Cymbals were very harsh and unlistenable. Actually sounded unnatural which surprised me for a high end IEM. But as I said, with the right cable, these IEMs are sublime. The tuning is perfect for male vocals and most pop, rock, R&B, Bossa Nova. Anything enhanced with a warm sound signature. Pairs really nicely with a Hugo2/2go. It really helped when I paired them with the right ear tips. I, too, have the reshelled custom to universal. Not perfect for classical music. Treble seems a bit rolled off and the sound is a bit thick for this genre. I just ordered a new cable that might help with that. If not, I'll probably invest in a more analytical IEM. For now, I listen to classical music with my HD800S which is hard to beat with an IEM, but I would like to try. Anyone got a recommendation?

Dec 20, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #2,681 of 5,197
I had the exact same problem with a silver cable. Cymbals were very harsh and unlistenable. Actually sounded unnatural which surprised me for a high end IEM. But as I said, with the right cable, these IEMs are sublime. The tuning is perfect for male vocals and most pop, rock, R&B, Bossa Nova. Anything enhanced with a warm sound signature. Pairs really nicely with a Hugo2/2go. It really helped when I paired them with the right ear tips. I, too, have the reshelled custom to universal. Not perfect for classical music. Treble seems a bit rolled off and the sound is a bit thick for this genre. I just ordered a new cable that might help with that. If not, I'll probably invest in a more analytical IEM. For now, I listen to classical music with my HD800S which is hard to beat with an IEM, but I would like to try. Anyone got a recommendation?

Noted but doubtful i'll ever give them a re-listen. Im looking (when funds are available) for something analytical more myself but not sterile. Thank you for your experience!

Dec 20, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #2,684 of 5,197
Haven’t tried the MEST but the LX’s treble definitely won’t be enough for you if the U12t wasn’t

Thank you, that‘s good to know I can remove them from my list!

I love the nio. But if you are looking for fun/excitement/sparkle in the treble, the nio are not for you. I dont think they lack extension. It's just that treble on them is very smooth, so you are not going to get that sparkle you seem to be after.

That‘s exactly what I was expecting. Sad because the rest of the spectrum looks so intriguing to me! Thank you!

Great post thanks for sharing. Your thoughts on the Andro 2020 mirror mine and go some way to convincing me that the 2020 has more in common than not with with the MW10 I just received.

The MEST would be my rec-- it's a technical marvel with fantastic bass and treble and would be a great compliment to the Andro. (I love the Solaris but I don't have enough experience with the 2020 to negate the mixed reviews it gets.)

Edit: The Dorado 2020 might be another to consider.

Thank you... putting the MEST even further up. How about the pre-2020 Solaris? Is this still your favorite IEM? I don‘t know if they are really so different from the 2020s? FR doesn‘t look too bad. 7-10kHz is elevated compared the pre-2020s. The dip around 4-5k is missing on the 2020s, though (just checked on crinacle). Hm. Thank you for recommending the MESTs. The voices of you experienced guys means much more to me than those from the pro-reviewers.

I recently watched a yt vid from someone raving about the Dorados. Intriguing but didn‘t hear enough of them to pull the trigger.

CharlyBrown I also like HE1000, Arya, Campfire...
I did not hear but many talk about Thieaudio Monarch and Clairvoyance, something like that it is on par with DD bass. I still think Campfire have something special "as treble, spaciousness, fun with still good balance sound... which one can maybe miss in other brands.

Thank you. Yes, that‘s why I was originally taking the Solaris into consideration. The Andromeda’s tick a lot of boxes for me!

Dec 20, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #2,685 of 5,197
I love the 18s but i want to stray from an all BA setup. Didn't have enough bass for me, as well. With that being said it does ranks in at 3 on my all-time favorite list. Gun to head id maybe get the Fir M5 or the Thum if it had a better fit.

To my ears, analytical isn’t a word I’d associate with either the FiR M5 or Thummim, but if I had to point one as closer to that it would be the M5 for sure. Sounds like you want a bassy monitor with good warmth and high detail retrieval? I just got the Trio on Monday and that to me is an awesome IEM. Highly capable on technicalities and great detail retrieval, good hard hitting bass too. The Legend X would be another recommendation of mine although I wasn’t the biggest fan of the treble which is why I ultimately sold my CIEM version of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back