Rank the IEM's you've heard
Feb 23, 2023 at 7:18 PM Post #4,531 of 5,139
Which tips did you find work best for the Encore?
Well, that post was at 5 years ago.......from February of 2019. And while I don’t remember all the ear-tips I used, I do remember a few? Some of most recent ones from maybe 2020 were the blue DUNU wide bore tips? The thing is you are always maybe challenged by the shape, where the Encore is not really semi-custom and added is the fact that the bass is about neutral at best, so fit is super important to reach optimal bass levels. Also fit is imperative for soundstage! But before the DUNU tips I was able to use the Sony clear dual density ones that came with the IER-Z1R. Those times represent the harder fit Encore and I remember those times. But I somehow changed, my ears changed?

The thing is at first the Encore seemed limited as to finding the right ear-tips for them, then later somehow I became free to experiment with a range of ear-tips, even using narrow profile super wide-bore tips with a maximum soundstage. At this point, really I can use a whole grouping of ear-tips? Where in the beginning I could only use a few? Why that exactly is, I don’t know?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #4,532 of 5,139
Well, that post was at 5 years ago.......from February of 2019. And while I don’t remember all the ear-tips I used, I do remember a few? Some of most recent ones from maybe 2020 were the blue DUNU wide bore tips? The thing is you are always maybe challenged by the shape, where the Encore is not really semi-custom and added is the fact that the bass is about neutral at best, so fit is super important to reach optimal bass levels. Also fit is imperative for soundstage! But before the DUNU tips I was able to use the Sony clear dual density ones that came with the IER-Z1R. Those times represent the harder fit Encore and I remember those times. But I somehow changed, my ears changed?

The thing is at first the Encore seemed limited as to finding the right ear-tips for them, then later somehow I became free to experiment with a range of ear-tips, even using narrow profile super wide-bore tips with a maximum soundstage. At this point, really I can use a whole grouping of ear-tips? Where in the beginning I could only use a few? Why that exactly is, I don’t know?

Cheers!
Thanks for the input!

Feb 24, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #4,533 of 5,139
1. Sony IER-Z1R
2. Moondrop Variations
3. Moondrop Blessing 2

The Sony is by far the best. I want to try the 64 Audio U12t and Monarch MKII though.

Feb 24, 2023 at 11:55 PM Post #4,534 of 5,139
1. Kublai Khan
2. Odin (sold)
3. Monarch Mkii with Eros S 8W
4. Z1R (sold)
5. Odyssey
6. Monarch Mkii with Stock cable
10. Solaris 2020

12. Kato
15. 215LTD, XM4
18. AS16 Pro

120. KZ ZST (still can't find the reason they even waste world resources on these too)

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #4,535 of 5,139
Have the most experience with my KBear KS2s and they’re surprisingly really good, love the bass but the highs are a bit too piercing to my ears, I’m sensitive to treble kind of so I just lower it a bit when I get the chance, all in all worth the $25 i think they cost
Will be trying 2019 campfire Andromedas today though! Looking forward to it even though they’re not usually my taste

Feb 25, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #4,536 of 5,139
Forgot to rank them
1. Dorado 2020s (beautiful deep bass with the nicest vocals/mids I’ve heard
2. Blessing2s clarity is top notch, really fast for EDM music although bass sounds anemic to my ears, surprisingly a 10/10 perfect fit, I could sleep with these on
3. KS2s great bass but can’t say much about anything else besides that they’re not bad, they just don’t have the wow factor, makes sense though considering how budget friendly they are

Mar 1, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #4,537 of 5,139
spent almost every hour at CanJam listening and re-listening to IEMs. for now, i think my top 5 are
  1. IER-Z1R
  2. Annihilator
  3. U12T
  4. A8000
  5. Gaea

some IEMs I was really impressed with from CanJam weekend were the new Solaris Stellar Horizon, 64 Audio Duo, and the EE red shelled prototype. on the more mid-fi end, I thought the Oracle MK2 was excellent

Mar 1, 2023 at 10:17 PM Post #4,538 of 5,139
Post CanJam top 10. Thought I'd share this while the excitement/impressions of many IEMs I heard for the first time are still fresh in my mind...caveat being that a lot of this can/will change pending time and further demos.

1) Campfire Trifecta
2) VIsion Ears Pink prototype
3) Fir Radon 6
4) Subtonic Storm
5) Vision Ears Phonix LE
6) Elysian Annihilator
7) Campfire Supermoon (through the LP6...OmG)
8) Campfire Solaris Stellar Horizon
9) Nightjar Singularity (prototype)
10) Elysian/Effect Audio Gaea

Mar 2, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #4,539 of 5,139
Post CanJam top 10. Thought I'd share this while the excitement/impressions of many IEMs I heard for the first time are still fresh in my mind...caveat being that a lot of this can/will change pending time and further demos.

1) Campfire Trifecta
2) VIsion Ears Pink prototype
3) Fir Radon 6
4) Subtonic Storm
5) Vision Ears Phonix LE
6) Elysian Annihilator
7) Campfire Supermoon (through the LP6...OmG)
8) Campfire Solaris Stellar Horizon
9) Nightjar Singularity (prototype)
10) Elysian/Effect Audio Gaea
Oh man what a great list of impressions from Canjam! As someone who is waiting on an order of VE EXT, what did you like about the new VE prototype pink over the EXT? I feel like I have not seen very much on the new VE protos and am curious of your thoughts.

Mar 4, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #4,541 of 5,139
My vote would be Traillii for vocals of those 3. Mentor Multiverse is close and Jewel I feel is a touch harsh or shouty on some female vocals. I use Orpheus cable in my Traillii. I have now heard Jewel with stock cable, Chiron cable, Orpheus and most recently the Venom cable. As a quick example Allison Krause’s Forget about It album sounds better on Traillii to me than Jewel. Multiverse Mentor might need to be compared further. All 3 are excellent IEMs.

Mar 4, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #4,542 of 5,139
1. Sony IER-Z1R
2. Moondrop Variations
3. Moondrop Blessing 2

The Sony is by far the best. I want to try the 64 Audio U12t and Monarch MKII though.
The Monarch MKII now slots into second place but is the best of these for vocals. Also the most comfortable of the four by a decent margin

Mar 5, 2023 at 12:28 AM Post #4,543 of 5,139
Forgot to rank them
1. Dorado 2020s (beautiful deep bass with the nicest vocals/mids I’ve heard
2. Blessing2s clarity is top notch, really fast for EDM music although bass sounds anemic to my ears, surprisingly a 10/10 perfect fit, I could sleep with these on
3. KS2s great bass but can’t say much about anything else besides that they’re not bad, they just don’t have the wow factor, makes sense though considering how budget friendly they are
Dorado 2020 is my favorite as well. I've tried Moindrop Kato, Blessing 2 and Variations. Kato & B2 were underwhelming to me. Variations came the closest to what I want, very refined and detailed, but still didn't have the energy I like.

The Dorado has ... balls!! I give it a bit of Treble boost to balance it out, for what I like.

Mar 5, 2023 at 1:18 AM Post #4,544 of 5,139
The Dorado has ... balls!!

Indeed it does. The ceramic shell gives the whole sound a degree of sure footedness and muscularity that is thoroughly unique. Nice to see the Dorado 2020 getting some love.

Mar 5, 2023 at 2:36 AM Post #4,545 of 5,139
Indeed it does. The ceramic shell gives the whole sound a degree of sure footedness and muscularity that is thoroughly unique. Nice to see the Dorado 2020 getting some love.
The driver is encapsulated in the Brass driver housing, so the ceramic should not contribute to the sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back