Rank the IEM's you've heard
Sep 8, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #2,506 of 5,136
FH3 over FH7? You’re not the only one to rank them that way.
MH755 that high, over IT00 and E5000?

.....interesting. Thanks for the list.

The E5000's bass was much to exaggerated for me and the IT00's tuning seemed to be too relaxed to appeal to me. Obviously a matter of taste in which a lot of people would disagree, judging by the popularity of these IEMs. The MH755 paired with the Apple dongle is incredible for the prize. Such a well tuned energetic DD-Sound (which i am admittedly a sucker for) without obvious flaws...

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #2,507 of 5,136
Posted this on another forum but posting here as well just to add to the discussion. Warning: I like bass.

1 - Sony IER Z1R
Jesus Christ that bass. It’s natural, it’s extended, and it’s damned powerful. Best thing this side of a subwoofer. Low mids are recessed, making things like vulfpeck and Frank Sinatra hard to listen to, but they are detailed and have nice timbre. Upper mids are presented a bit forward, making higher pitched male vocals and female vocals a treat. Tonality and dynamics here are quite good. Treble is smooth and extended. I find it doesn’t have coherency issues but ymmv. Detail isn’t absolute tops but it’s good enough. The one area it struggles as a totl is separation, busy tracks can get congested.

2 - 64 Audio U12t/A12t
These have the best bass I’ve heard from a BA set. Not quite as natural as a DD but fast and impactful, with a bit of subbass boost to help add punch. Where 12t really excels is dynamics and resolution. These are at the top in those categories, without sacrificing natural tonality and timbre. Mids are slightly recessed, but not to the level of Z1R, meaning both male and female vocals shine. Treble is peaky but extended. I have seen some people who cannot get past the peaky treble, but I'm not one of those people. Soundstage is wide but imaging isn’t super precise, things tend to get pushed to the side.

3 - Vision Ears VE8
Ohhh man all those male vocals we’ve been neglecting? Yeah here’s their time to shine. Bass isn’t a highlight here, you get punchiness and a natural timbre, but you won’t get the rumble that 12t and Z1R give you. Good enough, but not stellar. Mids though, now we’re talking. VE8 lends all the warmth you could ever want, allowing gravelly male vocals to occupy center stage. As vocals get higher, they become sweeter, still warm but not as powerful on this set. Female vocals aren’t as crystal clear as on the previous sets. Treble isn’t emphasized, but it is extended. Soundstage is rather average, but imaging is quite good. Detail is not top of the top, but this is easily the highest res warm IEM you can get.

4 - Shure KSE
Now this is a strange pick for #4, but hey it gave me one of those “oh crap” moments so I had to rank it high. Detail detail detail. That’s what these are about. The speed of the electrostat driver allows these to give you that crystal clear sound that nothing else will, making them sound insanely good on certain tracks, for instance acoustic guitar. However they have a few fatal flaws. Their extremely fast decay doesn’t lend them to having pleasing bass. It’s tight but lacks impact, and the texture is rather unpleasant. Timbre is all over the place in the mids, making vocals sometimes sound great and sometimes exhausting. Treble is great. Soundstage is below average, but imaging is excellent. Definitely worth the listen just for that experience of rethinking what is possible in an IEM, but I wouldn’t buy these.

5 - QDC Anole VX
These are objectively very good but I can’t get myself to like them. Detail is top tier, with above average soundstage and imaging. However these die in the bass for me. It’s got plasticky timbre, lacks impact and reminds me exactly why people always shill DD over BA. Sure it’s fast and textured, but it just… Sounds wrong. Mids are a very clinical affair, very dynamic and detailed, but a bit dry. Treble is extended and smooth, where the A12t is peaky, so I guess if you value treble more than bass (smh) these would be your A12t from anotha motha.

6 - Sony IER M9
These are a bit boring, but boring doesn’t always mean bad. Bass is a bit flabby compared to the totls before, but it’s textured and detailed. Lacks air and impact, but it sounds really good for a BA. Bit more emphasis on midbass than subbass here. Mids are warm and well suited especially to male vocals. Female vocals are also good, but some high pitched singers don't get the chance to pierce through and shine. Treble isn’t very forward but it is extended. Soundstage is below average in width but imaging is extremely precise. Dynamics ok, but not amazing. Layering and separation are tops. Detail is good, but not top tier. For me it's a slightly less warm poor man’s VE8, which ya know, is still pretty good.

7 - 64 Audio Tia Trio
This guy is very V-shaped. Your male vocals will disappear, moreso than on Z1R. Bass is very textured and impactful, but not super quick. Mids are ok, but you can barely hear them. Treble is elevated but fairly smooth. Where these excel is providing a huge Soundstage, much like the fourte does, but these aren’t tonally ****ed like those are.

8 - 64 Audio U18t/A18t
Bruh moment, your flagship is worse than its lower priced siblings. So these have timbre issues. They’re near or at the top in terms of detail, layering, and separation. However, in their quest to make the ultimate “reference” monitor, 64 forgot to make things sound good. Bass is textured and detailed but not impactful. Mids have those timbre issues I mentioned before. Vocals sound unnatural, as though they’re being filtered before they hit your ear. Treble is very extended and (too) prominent; it reaches levels where it’s sibilant to me. Overall a significantly worse iem for casual listeners than 12t.

9 - Campfire Andromeda S/Solaris
Andro S - Slightly more elevated upper mids than the Andromeda, which you’re all familiar with. These have really nice treble but that’s about all I can say I like about them. The mids are rather hollow and lacking in detail, and the bass is just muddy and flabby. Better than original andro for sure tho.
Solaris - HOW DO YOU MAKE A HYBRID WITH BASS THAT SOUNDS LIKE A BA??? Only campfire audio can seem to manage this, but otherwise Solaris is quite nice. Hollow mids again, but more detailed than Andro, and treble is extended. Soundstage is great on these, though imaging is average. I would rank Solaris slightly higher than Andro, but it has QC issues and the bass has BA timbre and lacks slam, which is unacceptable for a DD hybrid.

10 - Empire Ears Legend X
BAAAAASSSSSS. That’s it. Mids are sacrificed due to the very elevated bass but wow these sound like club speakers in your ears. Get them if you want bass only.

Edit: IEMs I definitely want to hear: Hidition Viento, Pears SH3, Jomo (any of them lol), Elysian Annihilator

IEMs that are the opposite of being on this list: Shure SE846, Campfire IO, Delta Airlines Earbuds, anything Sennheiser, KZ… well there’s a lot of garbage out there 😂
Love the Anole VX impressions - objectively pretty good but mind numbingly boring for me. The staging is ultra average as well, just meh all around imo

Sep 10, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #2,508 of 5,136
Been awhile since keeping tabs of IEMs I've owned over the years.

All time favorites:
1) Jomo Samba (ciem)
2) Dita Dream XLS

3) Tia Trio
4) U12T
5) U18T
6) Anole VX
7) Andromeda (4 versions of them, :sweat_smile: )
8) Jomo trinity brass
9) Solaris SE
10) Tia Fourte
11) Dita Dream (awesome sub-bass)
12) ItsFit Fusion (ciem)
13) UM Mason V3
14) Hyla CE-5/Sarda
15) EE Legend X
16) EE Phantom
17) Dunu Luna

IEMs I've disliked due to fitting and sounding too dark:
-JH Layla
-JH Roxanne
-JH Lola

Not considered an IEM:
1) LCD-i4 - would be top of favorite IEMs, but it's not really an IEM.

Headphones:
1) Hifiman Susvara
2) ZMF Verite Open
3) Hifiman He1000se
4) ZMF Verite Closed
5) HD800 with sheepskin pads
6) Abyss Diana V2
7) Focal Utopia
8) Focal Clear

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #2,509 of 5,136
Been awhile since keeping tabs of IEMs I've owned over the years.

All time favorites:
1) Jomo Samba (ciem)
2) Dita Dream XLS

3) Tia Trio
4) U12T
5) U18T
6) Anole VX
7) Andromeda (4 versions of them, :sweat_smile: )
8) Jomo trinity brass
9) Solaris SE
10) Tia Fourte
11) Dita Dream (awesome sub-bass)
12) ItsFit Fusion (ciem)
13) UM Mason V3
14) Hyla CE-5/Sarda
15) EE Legend X
16) EE Phantom
17) Dunu Luna

IEMs I've disliked due to fitting and sounding too dark:
-JH Layla
-JH Roxanne
-JH Lola

Not considered an IEM:
1) LCD-i4 - would be top of favorite IEMs, but it's not really an IEM.

Headphones:
1) Hifiman Susvara
2) ZMF Verite Open
3) Hifiman He1000se
4) ZMF Verite Closed
5) HD800 with sheepskin pads
6) Abyss Diana V2
7) Focal Utopia
8) Focal Clear
I thought you were an IMR fan @kdphan, yet none on your list?

Sep 10, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #2,510 of 5,136
I thought you were an IMR fan @kdphan, yet none on your list?
I think the Opus Mia would be somewhere in the early 20's on the list.
Patiently waiting for the Semper.

Sep 10, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #2,511 of 5,136
This might be slightly embarrassing and highly skewed as I'm relatively new to high-end IEMs, even though I've switched almost completely over to mobile now.

1. 64 Audio Tia Trio
2. 64 Audio Nio (possibly joint first)
3. 64 Audio U12t

4. BLON-03

5. Meze Rai Penta
6. FiiO FH5
7. FiiO FH7
8. IMR R2 Aten
9. MD Plus
10. Andromeda (Original)
11. Andromeda S
12. IMR R1 Zenith

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #2,512 of 5,136
This might be slightly embarrassing and highly skewed as I'm relatively new to IEMs, even though I've switched almost completely over to mobile now.

1. 64 Audio Tia Trio
2. 64 Audio Nio (possibly joint first)
3. 64 Audio U12t

4. BLON-03

5. Meze Rai Penta
6. FiiO FH5
7. FiiO FH7
8. MD Plus
9. Andromeda (Original)
10. Andromeda S
11. IMR R2 Aten
12. IMR R1 Zenith
The Tia Trio and U12T are universally loved :sunglasses:

Sep 15, 2020 at 4:20 AM Post #2,516 of 5,136
Sorry to bother. I'm just curious how does the MH755 compare to the FH3? Thanks.

No problem. There are of course the obvious disadvantages in regards to the cable (which really gets irritating after a while) and the build quality (at least as far as it is perceived, there are a few stories which cast a bit of doubt on the FH3's quality control) but considering the price, that's obviously not a big factor. As far as the sound is concerned, the MH755 and the FH3 are imo comparable as far as the tuning is concerned, both are do have tastefully elevated bass and a somewhat rolled off treble. The FH3 imo does have clear advantages as far as soundstage, imaging and details are concerned. These differences do get more pronounced then better the source and the sound quality is. On relatively low power source like the Apple dongle, the MH755 actually seemed to fare better than the FH3. Hope this helps a bit.

Sep 15, 2020 at 7:13 AM Post #2,517 of 5,136
My ranking is within my signature, at least for my top 5-6 IEMs that are underlined. The entire list is not precisely in order of preference though. It’s fun to do, but mostly meaningless for others.

Sep 15, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #2,518 of 5,136
01.64 audio u18t
02.1670ss w/ Taekyo (analytical & organic)
03.1670ss w/ OS849 (analytical, bright)
04.Penon Orb (cable rolling atm)
05.Penon Sphere w/ Leo plus
06.Andromeda 2019
07.kse1500
08.Intime Sora
01.64 audio u18t
02.1670ss w/ Taekyo (analytical & organic)
03.1670ss w/ OS849 (analytical, bright)
04.Penon Orb x Xelastec x OS849
05.Penon Sphere w/ Leo plus
06.Andromeda 2019
07.kse1500
08.Intime Sora
09.Ocharaku co-donguri

Sep 17, 2020 at 6:53 AM Post #2,519 of 5,136
Hello everyone 😀Аnd here's my list of preferences with my Astell&Kern Ultima M gold edition and hi res/mqa/flac 24-16 bit lossless music from Tidal and Qobuz:

1. Campfire audio Solaris SE/64 Audio u12t
2. AAW Canary/Sony ier z1r
3. Campfire audio Solaris 2020
4. Campfire Audio Andromeda 2020
5. Noble Kaiser Encore
6. AAW Halcyon
7. Sony ier m9
8. IMR R3 Halcyon
9. Raphsodio Solar
10. IMR RAH
11. Sony IMR ier m7
12. IMR R2 Aten
13. Fiio FH5
14. Fiio FA7
15. Moondrop kxxs
16. Dunu dk 3001
17. Sony n3ap

Sep 17, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #2,520 of 5,136
These are my current rankings based on how much I enjoy the IEM in question...it isn't a statement of their competence relative to what they set out to do.

1) Solaris SE/2020 => Balalnced and highly engaging all rounder. There are other IEMs that excel them at certain things but I haven't found anything that does "everything" as well to my ears. I've never crossed the $3K threshold either yet, so there's that. The SE and 2020 are way more similar than different and I'm tempted to say that the 2020 is a slightly refined version of the SE but I need more time with the former to establish that for myself.
2) Andromeda 2020 => These comprise much of the essential DNA of my #1, but a little more coherent and minus the dynamic bass.
3) VE8 => Very similar to #2, to my ears different primarily in that they sacrifice a bit of space between notes/instruments for a lusher, slightly more vibrant sound.
4) Legend X => Bass of the gods...peerless with certain genres, but not really an all-rounder.
5) Anole VX => My favorite bass from a BA set...a little fatiguing in the upper mids/lower treble...but that's its only real drawback. Superbly detailed, vibrant and (imho) highly engaging.
6) u12t => I understand the love for these but I can't relate to it. They're simply not exciting enough to engage me for long.
7) IER Z1R => Delicious bass but imho not worth the sacrifice to the lower mids. Signature wowed me at first but on the whole I found it a little fatiguing and disjointed between the highs and lows.
8) Atlas => Loads of fun but treble can be intense at times and didn't really succeed as an all-rounder for me.

IEMs I've demoed, wasn't really wowed by and would need more time to properly assess: Trio, Phantom, Khan, KSE 1500

Users who are viewing this thread

Back