Rank the IEM's you've heard
Jan 11, 2019 at 7:45 AM Post #1,861 of 5,136
Jomo Trinity Brass by far

tried most of the other mentioned iem's like atlas, andro, solaris, u12, u18 etc.

also tried elkronig and the "famous" one off K-Songwriter (if u might happen to know what that is)

really nothing particularly outstanding

give the Trinity a try;

the terms bass, speed, energy and details will be redefined

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #1,862 of 5,136
One of the most practical & helful threads on head fi. It’s impresive that brand loyalty is transcended by many. I might struggle with that.

Has a statistical consensus arisen?

Haven't looked at any numbers, but a consensus for "best IEM" will be pretty hard to get. There are far too many individual differences in preference for that to happen.

Jan 11, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #1,865 of 5,136
senn ie800

Jan 11, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #1,866 of 5,136
George,

would anything change in your view, if manufacturing quality was factored in (build, longevity) or is that presupposed? I continue to enjoy your writing style at blog.

Thank you for your kind words!

I have a hard time making a standalone rank since I know people look after very different characteristics in their purchases. Even so, something like RE2000 / RE2000 Silver / Atlas would surely be among the first places, as well as Dita Truth. UM Martians would follow slightly behind because they are very specifically tuned, although the build quality is incredible with them as well. CTM VS-4 and IMR R1 are also ranked fairly high :)

If we factor in the manufacturing quality, I can add that I have had ATLAS for little time, but it is holding up fairly well. I wouldn't rate it any lower because it has some driver flex, as Campfire has confirmed that it will not be posing issues with its life

RE2000, I had the gold version for almost 1.5 years now, and it has seen good usage, yet it has no issues, so I can confidently say they hold up well to usage. Some rough edges exist in the build quality, like, minor aesthetic inconvenieces, but they are long-lived IEMs.

I had to sent IE800 back two times, because of their cables hardening though....

I had Ditra Truth for almost one year, and I can't notice any usage signs, plus it is going strong. No complaints here either.

If anything is to complain about flagships, I think that ATLAS having some driver flex is a little inconvenient, and the cables of Dita Truth are a bit springy, but all of them have lasted well to usage so far

Jan 12, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #1,867 of 5,136
Empire Ears Legend X
Empire Ears Nemesis
Sony IER-M9
Campfire Audio Solaris
Fiio FA7
Fiio FH5
Beyerdynamic Xelento
Campfire Audio Andromeda
Campfire Audio Atlas
DVMP DMG
Shure SE846
Azla 01R
Final E5000
A&K Michelle Limited
Campfire Audio Dorado

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #1,868 of 5,136
Updated:

1) Empire Ears LX
2) Empire Ears Phantom
3) Empire Ears Zeus XR
4) 64Audio A18T
5) Jomo Flamenco
6) 64Audio Tia Fourte
7) Jomo Quatre
8) Rhapsodio Solar
9) Empire Ears Apollo X
10) Empire Ears Vantage

Updated

1) 64Audio U12T
2) Empire Ears Legend X
3) 64Audio A18T
4) 64Audio A12T
5) Empire Ears Zeus XR
6) 64Audio U18T
7) Jomo Flamenco
8) Empire Ears Phantom
9) 64Audio Tia Fourte
10) Jomo Quatre

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #1,869 of 5,136
Now this seems to be a fun / interesting thread (thanks @Bosk for mentioning it in another thread) :thinking:

I've heard approx 30+ IEMs (which can be found under my profile) so far, and this came out when I tried to rank them based on my preferences over the past 10 minutes.
Preferences of course doesn't mean that I say it is better, only that I like it better. And especially the first 3 depended a lot(!) on the source (synergy) to my ears.

1) Empire Ears Zeus XR (from RW modded AK380Cu)
2) Empire Ears Phantom (from LPG, close to the above but completely different strengths)
3) Spiral Ear 5-Way Ult (2x loaner, from LPG)
4) 64 Audio A18 Tzar (loaner for weeks)
5) Vision Ears VE8 (loaner for weeks)
6) Warbler Prelude (wrote a review on that one)
7) QDC Gemini (loaner for weeks)
8) Rhapsodio Solar (basshead / thick notes iem, but still love 'em)
9) CA Andromeda / EE Spartan ADEL (close call to my ears)
10) Tralucent 1plus2 (gone, but not forgotten because of its wonderful soundstage)

Now I'm gonna read (should be fun) the 104 pages before this one in the upcomming days :grin:
Cheers to ya'all and happy listening!

Updated preferences...

1) Empire Ears Phantom (from LPG + EA Horus *)
2) EE Zeus XR (from RW AK380Cu + PW1960 2w)
3) Spiral Ear 5-Way Ult *
4) 64 Audio A18 Tzar *
5) Vision Ears VE8 *
6) EE Legend X *
7) Warbler Prelude
8) Rhapsodio Solar
9) QDC Gemini *
10) CA Andromeda
11) Dita Fealty *
12) CA Vega

* loaners for weeks in a row

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #1,870 of 5,136
1. 64 Audio A12t - easily best IEM I've heard in every way.
2. Unique Melody Miracle (original version) - my first CIEM and I still love it. Presentation is balanced (maybe slightly less bass impact than I'd like), neither warm nor cool. Clear but not bright. Loses to modern flagships A12t in terms of low-end extension, headroom, and airiness.
3. Hifiman RE2000 Silver - Better bass than UM Miracle, and more open / spacious sound stage. However, not quite as even across the frequency spectrum. Mids a bit recessed. The most warm and relaxed IEM in my collection.
4. CustomArt FIBAE 3 - I use these on the go because the silicone body blocks external noise most effectively. Sound wise, its much too bass shy, but I can adjust to it after a while.

Jan 12, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #1,871 of 5,136
I don’t think there will ever be a consensus per se as everyone’s tastes are different. That being said, it is more or less the same makes and models dominating nearly everyone’s top 10. As is evident from my list I am something of a basshead. Unfortunately travel to Sydney is needed for experiencing anything from 64Audio and Empire Ears.

Updated list for me:
1. Noble K10
2.Oriolus mkII (auditioned) / Noble Encore
4. Campfire Audio Atlas / CA Vega
6. Sennheiser IE800 (original - currently own) / Sennheiser IE800S
8. Shure SE846
9 Noble Katana
10.CA Jupiter

Jan 12, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #1,872 of 5,136
I don’t think there will ever be a consensus per se as everyone’s tastes are different. That being said, it is more or less the same makes and models dominating nearly everyone’s top 10. As is evident from my list I am something of a basshead. Unfortunately travel to Sydney is needed for experiencing anything from 64Audio and Empire Ears.

Updated list for me:
1. Noble K10
2.Oriolus mkII (auditioned) / Noble Encore
4. Campfire Audio Atlas / CA Vega
6. Sennheiser IE800 (original - currently own) / Sennheiser IE800S
8. Shure SE846
9 Noble Katana
10.CA Jupiter

Not only are everyone’s preferences different from everyone else’s, but their own tastes can change from week to week. The lists are not written in stone.

Jan 14, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #1,874 of 5,136
I have SE846 and am mostly happy with it except sound staging.
I am aware that there's certain limitation with IEM on that particular area but wondering what could be alternatives, if any, for better sound staging effect among the products which do not show 3k or above on their price tags?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back