Rank the IEM's you've heard
Jan 27, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #1,891 of 5,136
Looking for nice iem but haven’t found one yet. Any recommendation for nice bass ones? I want to try legend x but cannot throw 2.3k w/o listening to them.

Beyerdynamic Xelento or one of the Lime Ears universals (now that they’re not exclusive to Korea) with the bass switch on would also be nice, as would one of the higher end 64audio iems.

Would probably be easier to recommend an iem with a better idea of overall budget and preference in mids/highs.

Jan 27, 2019 at 10:45 PM Post #1,892 of 5,136
There have been some concerns regarding unit variation for Solaris. I’m not sure how significant it is, but as someone else living in Korea, I’m planning to wait until I get to audition it before deciding whether or not to get it.

Andromeda is fantastic, and I wouldn’t consider Vega/Atlas an upgrade to it. (Equinox and Solaris TBD)
Appreciate your input.

I am taking a week's trip to Jakarta from this afternoon and am going to give a visit to a store there which is an authorized seller of Campfire.
Decided not to drool on Solaris anymore because of its unstable/protruding ear fixation discussed among those who have it.
Plan to blind buy Andromeda S trusting the reviews and comments gathered from here. Fortunately, the store in Jakarta has it in stock according to its website (usually their websites are not updated regularly though.)
Hope it indeed would be an upgrade in sound stage and treble to my good old SE846.

Jan 27, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #1,893 of 5,136
Appreciate your input.

I am taking a week's trip to Jakarta from this afternoon and am going to give a visit to a store there which is an authorized seller of Campfire.
Decided not to drool on Solaris anymore because of its unstable/protruding ear fixation discussed among those who have it.
Plan to blind buy Andromeda S trusting the reviews and comments gathered from here. Fortunately, the store in Jakarta has it in stock according to its website (usually their websites are not updated regularly though.)
Hope it indeed would be an upgrade in sound stage and treble to my good old SE846.

Haven’t heard the Andromeda S (GsoundLab really dropped the ball on Campfire products over the past year and a half... no Polaris, Andro S, no Solaris, Atlas/Comet not available for a while, etc.) but reviews seem to suggest the Andro/Andro S are sidegrades depending on preferred sound signature?

If that’s the case, either should be a significant step up from the 846.

Jan 28, 2019 at 1:46 AM Post #1,894 of 5,136
Empire Ears Nemesis.
It seems like you are selling one of these. Tempting to try.

Hyla CE-5 (used) or TE-5B could also work. For more bass quantity, perhaps something like the Empire Ears hybrids or maybe Rhapsodio Zombie? I find that the bass on those tends to bleed into the mids more though.
I was looking for good priced used legend x and just missed one. It seems like there aren't that many used zombies around. I might look into Hyla's. Thanks.

Beyerdynamic Xelento or one of the Lime Ears universals (now that they’re not exclusive to Korea) with the bass switch on would also be nice, as would one of the higher end 64audio iems.

Would probably be easier to recommend an iem with a better idea of overall budget and preference in mids/highs.

I haven't tried much of high end iems. I have westone um2, w3 which are really getting old. Just bought KZ AS10, which was okay for the price, but not the best. I really don't care much about mid's since I listen to a lot of non-vocal songs. I am willing to spend ~USD2k on iem if they are really good. Was thinking about getting custom legend x but don't want to put down 2.3k on CIEM without listening to them before.

Jan 28, 2019 at 2:53 AM Post #1,895 of 5,136
I haven't tried much of high end iems. I have westone um2, w3 which are really getting old. Just bought KZ AS10, which was okay for the price, but not the best. I really don't care much about mid's since I listen to a lot of non-vocal songs. I am willing to spend ~USD2k on iem if they are really good. Was thinking about getting custom legend x but don't want to put down 2.3k on CIEM without listening to them before.

Please don’t drop $2300 on a Legend X custom without at least trying the universal. They aren’t even reshellable (at Empire... and most/all other places), so if you don’t like them, you’d be out basically your entire investment.

Jan 28, 2019 at 5:34 AM Post #1,896 of 5,136
It seems like you are selling one of these. Tempting to try.

Yes, with 2 W9 subwoofers in each earpiece they certainly don't lack in the sub-bass dept.!

Feb 1, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #1,899 of 5,136
So this is unexpected.

Accoustune HS1650CU is actually climbing in my personal list. Which is shocking, given that they are not a flagship, nor that expensive in terms of price, they are far from being a flagship, but I find myself enjoyng them greatly :)

I hate that $600 has now become "not that expensive". That said, Acoustune did a really nice job with the 1650, and I thought it was head and shoulders above the 1670ss.

Feb 1, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #1,900 of 5,136
Please don’t drop $2300 on a Legend X custom without at least trying the universal. They aren’t even reshellable (at Empire... and most/all other places), so if you don’t like them, you’d be out basically your entire investment.

I just got legend x from head-fier. They sound amazing!! I love the sub-bass rumble even with my cheap amp. I should save up some money and go custom sometime in future.

Feb 1, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #1,901 of 5,136
Strangely the Noble K10 Encore has now topped my list.

It moved up spaces as it started to really perform with the best tips, also I seemed to get used to the bass quality?

Noble K10 Encore
Sony Z5
BGVP DM6
qdc Anole V3
Sony N3

I have heard a bunch of IEMs.

I just rank the IEMs I own, as I feel I can’t really judge something unless I live with it.

Feb 1, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #1,902 of 5,136
I just got legend x from head-fier. They sound amazing!! I love the sub-bass rumble even with my cheap amp. I should save up some money and go custom sometime in future.

You could also go custom tips instead of a full blown custom IEM. Won’t get the opportunity to design your IEM, but depending on where you get yours from, it could be a more versatile option.

Glad you like the LX though! It’s a very good IEM - just very hard to recommend blindly given its price.

Strangely the Noble K10 Encore has now topped my list.

It moved up spaces as it started to really perform with the best tips, also I seemed to get used to the bass quality?

Noble K10 Encore
Sony Z5
BGVP DM6
qdc Anole V3
Sony N3

I have heard a bunch of IEMs.

I just rank the IEMs I own, as I feel I can’t really judge something unless I live with it.

Don’t think that’s too strange - the K10 Encore should be a clear step up from the others, right? Though admittedly I haven’t heard the DM6 or the Anole V3 yet.

Feb 1, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #1,903 of 5,136
You could also go custom tips instead of a full blown custom IEM. Won’t get the opportunity to design your IEM, but depending on where you get yours from, it could be a more versatile option.

Glad you like the LX though! It’s a very good IEM - just very hard to recommend blindly given its price.

Don’t think that’s too strange - the K10 Encore should be a clear step up from the others, right? Though admittedly I haven’t heard the DM6 or the Anole V3 yet.

Well for me I’ve had them for awhile. I knew going in that they were not my sound signature. I purchased them knowing perfectly well what they were about. I demoed them too. It’s that I border on being a bass-head. Where the Encore is complementary to bass-head IEMs. I don’t always look at cost as being a factor to define enjoyment. But it’s the transparency and neutrality.........along with the technical ability causing it to accidentally become top dog. :)

It’s a clear step up but a detour from normal preferences. It would be like someone still loving the k701 for what they can do, or even the HD800. It’s like a bass-head liking the HD800 for not quantity of bass but quality of bass.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2019 at 10:53 PM Post #1,904 of 5,136

Also again it’s getting fit and airtight placement adding to sound quality.

It can never be underestimated how important the right tips are. I maybe added 1/2 a decibel to the bass, but it was the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Keek
Back