Rank the Headphones that You Own.
May 7, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #2,881 of 8,131
Quote:
Says the person who obviously doesn't know anything about art, to the person who has been drawing since he was ******* 4 years old.

I don't own the HD600 because I have things that are better. 

I hate the M50.

I'm done here.

yeah, sure you do...like monoprice iems or akg 240's....
rolleyes.gif

go learn about art.

May 7, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #2,883 of 8,131
Jeez O peet. If you want to argue, please keep it to PM"s? Don't make the rest of us listen to your bickering. And yes, this has become bickering.

May 8, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #2,885 of 8,131
Quote:

yeah, sure you do...like monoprice iems or akg 240's....
rolleyes.gif

go learn about art.

You are referring to everything that sees no use whatsoever. I even forgot I had the 8320s. Note my ranking a couple pages back.

Been a while, and I've gotten more headphones and modded a few.

1: Sony DR-Z5: An old beast from the late 1970's/early 80's. Designed for portable CD players, which were just developed at the time, and is thus very easy to drive.  Two words: Holy crap. Extremely detailed and fast. Their decay is instantaneous; better than the DT1350's even, and their attack is comparable to that of a high-end Grado. Neutral and flat, with very deep bass extension. Very slightly lacking in impact, more stat-like. Excellent imaging, relatively deep soundstage but very little width. Treble is amazing, cymbals are there and gone almost instantaneously with no splash or distortion. Absolutely no sound leakage and great isolation. Somewhat finicky fit, but very comfortable. Built like a tank and looks quite handsome. Possibly the best portable headphone in existence. Absolutely unbelievable.

2: KOSS Pro/4AAAA "Quad-A": This is the name I have given my modded 4AAA. They have been completely rewired with OFC, have dual-sided detachable cables and have been converted to a vented open-back design. Very warm and lush with a very smooth frequency response.  Euphonic and impactful. Well-detailed and controlled sound. Very wide and deep soundstage with great imaging. Speaker-like bass, very tactile. Absolutely perfect isolation but lots of sound leakage due to the open back. Decent comfort, but pads are old and hard. Will be replaced soon. Very heavy; huge and tank-like. Difficult to drive so usage is typically reserved for home use. Excels with trance, EBM, hardstyle, etc. Sees a lot of use.

3: Beyerdynamic DT1350: Somewhat neutral. Very tightly controlled, lots of detail. Very good low end. Somewhat hazy midrange; artificial sounding treble. Warm and euphonic out of sub-par equipment but neutral and ruthlessly revealing when used with a better source. Very DAC-dependent. Excellent decay, decent attack. Somewhat diffuse imaging, very small soundstage. Amazing isolation and build quality. Very comfortable and stable. Light yet tank-like design, almost entirely made of nextel-coated aluminum. 

4: Pioneer SE-700: Extremely neutral and flat with somewhat rolled off bass and upper treble. Excellent imaging but absolutely no soundstage. Somewhat thin with moderate attack and decay. Becomes fuller and faster out of more powerful amplifiers. Build is good, with lots of aluminum integrated into the design. One of the most gorgeous headphones ever made. Fit is somewhat loose and finicky, and the thin pads are bad for comfort. Since it was designed for speaker taps, this headphone is harder to drive than the HiFiMAN HE-6. The piezoelectric principle makes it unbelievably insensitive and its impedance is infinite. Aren't used very much due to this. 

5: Pioneer SE-500: Similar to the SE-700 but even less bass due to the thinner diaphragm. Bright. More detailed and significantly easier to power than the SE-700 (though the SE-700 might be better with proper equipment). Even though they're bass-less, they are very exciting to listen to. Not quite as flat as the SE-700. Excellent imaging, decent soundstage. Much more snug fit-wise than the SE-700 and more comfortable too. They're different, but they still see some use.

6: KOSS K/6x Plus "Digital Ready": These headphones are pretty bad. These were my first headphones. I got them from a garage sale when I was somewhere around 12. They are very bassy, and have good treble and decent mids. Good imaging, but lacking soundstage. The deal breaker on this is the infamous "tin-can" veiling so common in headphones from the 80's. They also do not seal properly on the head due to the fixed yoke design, and thus aren't very comfortable either. However, KOSS's build quality is wonderful. Extremely sturdy plastic, aluminum struts, metal baffle. Very light. 

7: AKG K240 Studio: I do not like these headphones. They are moderately detailed with an incredibly warm and airy signature, and beautiful treble. However... they have absolutely no control of the diaphragm. The attack and decay are so slow that it is possible to physically see the driver moving, which is extremely bad. They have a small soundstage and decent imaging. Somewhat passive and lacking in impact. Extremely comfortable and light, built like a tank, and has a nice detachable cable. I really want to like this headphone but I just don't.

8: Audio-Technica ATH-M50: Had these for almost 3 years now, and I've grown tired of them. Their low end doesn't have good extension and the highs are shrill and piercing. The lower mids simply aren't there, giving it a very hollow, thin sound. Not very fast in either attack or decay, and not very detailed because of it. No soundstage, poor imaging. Comfort is decent, fit is very loose. Basically just an all-around "meh". Extremely overrated; not recommended as anything but a first headphone, and be prepared to sell it because you're gonna want something better after a while. I'm keeping mine because it was a gift.

9: Sony MDR-SA3000: I'm sorry, but these headphones are terrible. They try to fake being fast by being trebley and dry, when in fact they lag behind headphones like the DR-Z5 and my friend's RS2i quite considerably. The entire sound is crammed up into the high registers. They lack any form of body or impact; very thin and uninvolving. There are no lower mids or bass, it's basically like listening to a 2-way headphone that only has the tweeter. Not a particularly good tweeter either. Their presentation sounds very closed-in, everything comes from a single spot in front of you with very little width and depth. Put simply, they don't do anything right. Can't believe these headphones are rated so highly.

Cheers!

I'm done with the petty insults. It's my opinion that the T50RP is extremely overrated. Plain and simple.

May 8, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #2,886 of 8,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

When it comes down to it the T50RP drivers themselves are actually really good.

That's why so many people hopped onto modding them.

Sennheiser took their HD580 driver and made the HD600 by retuning the driver.

1. They are ok, nothing special, not really good. You can get a 120ohm SFI tweeter driver and specifically dampen them to sound better than most modded T50RP.
2. People jumped on them due to the hype. Apart from the Paradox and MrSpeakers and few others carefully modded most of the user modded T50RP are quite bad.
3. Wrong, nothing was retuned, same driver with only a difference of clear vs yellow membrane used and different outter filters for the housing chamber that secures the drivers.

Reference: Experience.

May 8, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #2,887 of 8,131
Quote:
1. They are ok, nothing special, not really good. You can get a 120ohm SFI tweeter driver and specifically dampen them to sound better than most modded T50RP.
2. People jumped on them due to the hype. Apart from the Paradox and MrSpeakers and few others carefully modded most of the user modded T50RP are quite bad.
3. Wrong, nothing was retuned, same driver with only a difference of clear vs yellow membrane used and different outter filters for the housing chamber that secures the drivers.

1) pure opinion
2)opinion once again
3) there were revisions done

May 8, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #2,888 of 8,131
Quote:
You are referring to everything that sees no use whatsoever. I even forgot I had the 8320s. Note my ranking a couple pages back.

most of those are garbage

May 8, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #2,889 of 8,131
Quote:

1) pure opinion
2)opinion once again

1/2: Pointing out that it's his opinion makes you look like you have no counterargument
3: Wrong. The driver itself is identical in the HD580, HD600, and HD650. The difference is in the earcup structure and damping.

Quote:
Quote:

most of those are garbage

And the only headphones being used right now are the DR-Z5 and the 4AAA. Neither of which fall under the category of "garbage". I just don't sell my headphones for the most part. 

Stop being a dick. Outright insulting people is uncalled for.

May 8, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #2,890 of 8,131
Quote:
1) pure opinion
2)opinion once again

1. Not opinion, pure experience. Why do think most of the ortho veterans stick to the older stuff in the Ortho thread?
2. Hype as usual, don't tell me you're stuck on the hype bandwagon.
3. There was no revisions done. It was only a small upgrade to the back port filter, this was not a substantial change to be called a revision as evident by the model names still remaining the same. The change was done just so Sennheiser can use materials they grab hold of easier. They updated the 580/600/650 drivers from the dark black filter to the white less course filter in 2006/07. I know this because I emailed Sennheiser directly because i was concerned about night and day distinguishable differences which were not eventually.

May 8, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #2,891 of 8,131
Quote:

1. If I ever hear it, I'll let you know. The reason so many people started using these is the potential they had, and the relatively low price for orthodynamic drivers. Have you heard the latest Mad Dog headphones? 
2. I agree with you on all parts. Most people don't make them sound a lot better.
3. I also agree with you here. The word 'retuning' is up for debate. They put in a different grill and called it a new headphone.

May 8, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #2,893 of 8,131
Sennheiser HD800 10/10 (my #1 headphone. I took a while but after I got it dialed in nothing else comes close)
Sennheiser HD650 8/10 (still great, but less used after I got the HD800s properly setup...)
Sennheiser HD590 6/10 (the one that started it all, kept because I'm a sobbing sentimetal git)

Gone:
######################
Beyerdynamic T1 8/10 (not bad but... not amazing, lacks some "air*)
HifiMan HE-500 7/10 (nothing wrong with the sound but less comfortable than HD800 and the soundstage can't compete. Quality is so-so)
Sony XB1000 6/10 (good entry level headphone for bassheads, however the HD800 with a +2/3 dB bass boost shows it how's boss)

Extensive Try:
######################
AKG 701/702 7/10 (not bad... but not amazing. And not much meat on the bones either)
Audeze LCD-2/3 8/10 (not bad... but not that comfortable after a couple of hours. And the HD800 beats it for soundstage)
Beyerdynamic DT990 7/10 (Meh...)
Denon D2000/5000/7000 7/10 (The D7000 is a good closed headphone but can't compete with the best open back ones)
Grado PS1000 8/10 (Dire Straits is pretty amazing on this one, as is any rock-n-roll. But I need more than that!)
Sennheiser 598 8/10 (For the price it's great. best entry level headphone I know. BUY IT!)
Ultrasone Pro900 6/10 (good basshead headphone, tighter than the XB1000 if that's the way you like it)

May 8, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #2,894 of 8,131
*cough*

1. HD800

erm.. thats all own now. 

But a list of past faves would be;

2. LCD2.2
3. K701 and HD650
4. HE500
5. RS1 

Hard to put them in order as they have all brought me loads of joy. 

May 8, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #2,895 of 8,131
You guys need to chill.

The idea here is to Rank YOUR headphones. If someone doesn't agree then take that disagreement elsewhere or keep it to yourself. People posting here shouldn't have to worry about someone bashing their own list of their own stuff. Or at the very least be respectful and talk it out without name calling or questioning anyone's intelligence.

Lets not act like A-holes people...

My list.

Music Cans:

1. LCD's 2.2 - Still working towards the proper amp but they still are by far the best I've ever heard or owned.
2. HD650 - Bought ef5 for LCD's and the HD650's paired up better and sounds fantastic
3. D5000 - Enough has been said, great cans with stupid deep bass.
4. s500 - Best value in the headphone world and more fun then nickel night at a _____ house
5. WS99 - Was very surprised with these. Didn't expect them to be as neutral yet with fast attacking deep bass. Great cans
6. esw9a - Love them. Great on ear cans with better bass than I was expecting. Wish I could have tried the esw11's
7. Porta Pro's - Classic
8. KSC 75 - Great for working out and bike riding

Gaming:

1. MMX-300 - Holy grail of gaming headphones
2. Siberia V2 - Good for the money and very comfortable
3. Astro a30 - Swiss army Knife of gaming headsets. All kinds of cool options and looks fantastic

Questions and conversation are more than welcome. D-Baggery is not.

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back