Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Dec 23, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #6,406 of 8,134
Does anyone who has the ZR1 rank another closed-back above it?

Dec 26, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #6,408 of 8,134
Does anyone who has the ZR1 rank another closed-back above it?

I owned the ZR1 for a couple of months and IMHO my Denon LA7000 clearly ranked above it.

Dec 26, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #6,409 of 8,134
1) HE-500
2) DX-1000
3) Sennheiser 600 / 6XX

Even though this is my ranking, I still seem to use the Sennheiser the most due to comfort and their ease of use.

HE-500 is technically the best and I love them, however, the DX-1000 has such a lush and beautiful sound - that when the mood is right - they just hit the spot for me.

Dec 27, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #6,410 of 8,134
Current, with reasons why kept

1. Susvara - Because too many reasons.
2. Utopia - Because resolution. But despite fatigue :/
3. Verite - Because Zach's not done with them yet.

Previous, with reasons why sold

4a. HEKv2 - Because Susvara.
4b. Abyss Phi - Because fit and ergonomics, also affecting tonality.
4c. LCD-4 - Because recessed mids. And Abyss.
5a. Auteur - Because resolution.
5b. Clear - Because Utopia.
5c. LCD-MX4 - Because piercing mids at 1k (?!).
6. LCD-3 - Because transients.
7. LCD-X - Because too many reasons.
8. HE-560 - Because I decided to spend more money. Bad move...

Dec 31, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #6,411 of 8,134
2018 was mostly about convenience and mobility for me so my full sized cans only saw occasional use.

1. Tribit Xfree Tune. Very,very good sounding full size bluetooth headphone for $50. 24hr battery is a plus. Makes my custom 3.5mm cable remain useful.
2. EMX500 (copper cable & "silver" plated version) Bass + soundstage
3. QCY QY19. My go-to bluetooth IEM. Sounds good and cheap enough to easily replace.
4. Google USB-C Earbuds. I really like the fitting loop and robust cable. Hate the color because white just shows how dirty it can get.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #6,412 of 8,134
1-zmf auteur: my musical set for everything, in particular metal and rock. (I love the zach works)
2-beyerdynamic t1: gaming, female vocal and orchestral, i really enjoy this can, remember the utopia that i sold...
3-jvc dx1000: my fun headphone, nice soundstage, bass and relaxing tonality that i enjoy to relax, and listen to hip hop, country etc.
4-jvc sz2000 (ori pads): when i want real sub-bass, i turn the bass boost on and feeds my basshead needs!

Dec 31, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #6,413 of 8,134
1-zmf auteur: my musical set for everything, in particular metal and rock. (I love the zach works)
2-beyerdynamic t1: gaming, female vocal and orchestral, i really enjoy this can, remember the utopia that i sold...
3-jvc dx1000: my fun headphone, nice soundstage, bass and relaxing tonality that i enjoy to relax, and listen to hip hop, country etc.
4-jvc sz2000 (ori pads): when i want real sub-bass, i turn the bass boost on and feeds my basshead needs!

I just picked up @llamaluv ’s Blackwood Autuers, I find them extremely musical. He’s correct, they aren’t detail monsters, but their tonality is spot on.

Jan 21, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #6,414 of 8,134
So it's my intention to buy a Sennheiser HD800 at some point in the next 2 months, here is my final ranking until then;

1. Denon AH-D5000 (my favourite and the best headphone i've ever heard. Other closed back headphones i've owned/heard that are worth mentioning include Fostex TH-X00 Purple Heart, Denon AH-D2000, Beyerdynamic T5P and T70P and I rank the AH-D5000 above them all..
2. AKG K702 (Austrain version) my favourite open back hedphones i've ever heard.
3. Sony MDR 7510. My favourite headphones to use when mixing/mastering my own music. $120 USD seems like a bargain for the MDR7510.
4. Ultrasone Edition M. The headphone I use with my iphone X when travelling. It's like they where made for each other. My favourite thing about the Edition M is it's soundstage and imaging. Not necessarily the widest but the best in terms of accuracy and realism.
5. Technics RP-DH1200. Very good midrange and slamming bass. great with all kinds of music. I really like this headphone.
6. Symphonized Genuine Wood Premium Headphones. The sound signature of this headphone is just addictive.

I don't know where the HD800 will go on this list. I think it will probably take 2nd place, although it will have to be something special for me to like it more than my trusty old K702.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #6,415 of 8,134
By no means do I consider myself an audiophile. I just know what I enjoy, and what sounds good to me. My sources are the Opus #1s, and my LG V40. I really just wanted 4 or 5 cans to provide some variety, and I feel I've accomplished that. Each one has great synergy with my sources, and they have different strengths and talents. I honestly can't decide an order in which I like these, and I feel that's a good thing. So, I'm just going to call these 1a and 1b. None of these retailed for more than 400 dollars, and I've been fortunate enough to have paid 209 dollars at most. I feel rather satisfied, and don't have much desire to climb the rope or descend down the hole at this point.
Open back
Phillips Fidelio X1
Massdrop Sennheiser 58X
Closed back
Beoplay H6
Meze 99 Classics with original pads
I have one other keeper I'll just call #2
M-Audio Q40

Jan 24, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #6,417 of 8,134
These days, I have a four-way tie for 1st place. In alphabetical order:

- Clear sounds very clear, with excellent neutral tonal balance, nice energy in the bass, fairly smooth highs, and good detail. I slightly prefer the Clear over the Utopia.

- HD800S sounds very neutral and accurate, with great detail, a winning sense of stage, and nice absence of shoutiness.

- LCD-3 is the bass king, with nice detail, and a sweet and silky quality overall. I slightly prefer the LCD-3 over the LCD-4.

- LCD-i4 is the winner on natural-sounding detail and resolution, and also has excellent bass, but it's imperative to get a good fit and seal.

The 99 Classics is also excellent and enjoyable at a much lower price point, though the bass isn't as articulate as any of the above.

Jan 25, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #6,419 of 8,134
1) DT770 250ohm
2) SHP9500s
3) KSC75
4) MOZero (HM5 pads)
5) Monk Lites
6) Porta Pro X
7) Takstar Pro 82

I think why the Takstars fall so short is they're not just that amp-able, my SMSL M3 I can barely turn the dial before all hell breaks loose. I realize they are not my 250ohm DTs which I can get over half way on some songs if I want. The SHPs amp well and are great for gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back