Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Nov 27, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #6,391 of 8,137
Rank based on head-time and emotional engagement:

1. Stax 009 - amazingly clear effortless sound
1. Utopia - explosively dynamic with an engaging sound signature
2. Andromeda - sound stage out of an IEM (i prefer Spin Fit M tips)
3. HE-500 modded - Neutral king but not as technically competent as the top two
4. HD600 - severely underrated
5. Verum 1 - What how you do dis for the price?
6. HD650 modded - not quite neutral but easy going frequency response
7. Audeze Mobius - great for plug and play gaming
8. PC37X - good open gaming headphones
9. HE-4XX - for future nods...

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #6,392 of 8,137
Just posted a bit ago, but some big changes to report. Here is my current list.

EnigmAcoustics Dharma D1000 w/ Black Dragon XLR Cable
Beyerdynamic T1v2
MrSpeakers Alpha Prime
ZMF Ori w/ silver ZMF cable
Sennheiser HD6xx
Hifiman Sundara

Portable:
Ultimate Ears UE5 Pro Custom
Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

Dec 11, 2018 at 2:50 AM Post #6,393 of 8,137
Kind of like @cskippy above, my ranks are based on emotional engagement. I don't usually critically listen, and I tend to find that good headphones will pull me out of critically listening anyhow.

Anyhow, now that I've spouted enough exposition:

1) Audeze LCD-3 (2016): Liquid, slightly euphonic sound, yet still fast and dynamic.
2) Sennheiser HD 6XX: Essentially HD 650s. Incredibly good, scales very well, and also plays nice with portable gear.
3) Sennheiser HD 599: Like above, but slightly worse. Possibly the most neutral headphone I own, but I find them fatiguing after a while. Very nice for games (I find this particularly hilarious).

I tried many others but these are the ones I really liked. All of them get some head time.

Dec 11, 2018 at 2:58 AM Post #6,394 of 8,137
Havn't posted in over a year or so.
I've got too many great headphones, so I'll just rank the few that get used the most by their use.
Rankings mostly based on enjoyment, comfort and head-time.
Objective sound rankings are largely pointless IMO.

Home:
JVC HA-DX1000 - my bass and soundstage king... it's like getting a big warm hug around my head
NAD RP18 - modified (understatement)
Beyerdynamic DT790 80 Ohm (modified similar to DT770 Pro specification and sound)
Sennheiser HD650 - chilled, non fatiguing
Hifiman HE-500 - a bit too heavy, or would be ranked higher
Sony VIP-1000 + subwoofer - doesn't get as much time as I'd like because it needs the sub.

Outdoors/Portable:
JVC HA-MX100-Z + MDR-Z1000 ear pads - relieves itself on almost everything out there (objectively too)
Satolex Plum DH297-A1DR - casually comes in 2nd place out of nowhere/Japan
JVC Ésnsy HA-SR85S - How are these bass monsters not more popular?
Yamaha RH-40M - janky upper mids, but damn, it's comfy.

Office:
The Kube (earbud) ... because buds are just super comfy.

Dec 14, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #6,395 of 8,137
MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Open- very musical, bit of upper bass bump not quite as detailed as the Aeon Flow Closed. A total current pig. Don’t get it unless you have an amp that can deliver at least 150 mA at 13 Ohms. Scales with amp so it’s worth it to buy a good one.

MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Closed- exceptional detail and resolution, very neutral sound signatue, deep bass extension but no divergence from neutral. Same power requirements as above. Sometimes I prefer this one over the AFO.

Hifiman 400i- really impressive mid bass with a little roll off in the sub bass region. Not as detailed as the above Aeons and treble has a slightly metallic character when compared to the Aeons. Not particularly neutral, but not far from it either. An unbelievable bargain for $200- you could easily spend double or triple that for equivalent performance. Can be driven with a smartphone but really needs an amp to show all it can do.

Audio Technica ATH MSR7- A very good, neutral headphone though a little bright. Punchy and energetic, but much muddier bass compared to the above planars and not as comfortable. Easy to drive with a smartphone.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #6,396 of 8,137
1. Denon AH-D5000 - Will always be the King of the closed-back headphones I think. Legendary headphone.
2. AKG K702 (Austrian version) - There is no other open-back or closed-back headphone i've heard that is as tonally perfect as this headphone.
3. Ultrasone Edition M - My go to headphone for watching movies at night, when I can't use my speakers. They sound like 5.1 surround sound to me.
4. Fostex TH-X00 PurpleHeart - I kinda love and hate this headphone at the same time lol. They are not as natural sounding as the AH-D5000.
5. Neewer NW-9000 - My go to headphone for recording/producing music on my computer. Incredible value for money.

I hope to get the Sony mdr 7510/1 soon to replace the NW-9000 as the Sony will be closer to neutral.

1 month on and I now have the Sony MDR 7510/1. I was right about it being more neutral than the Neewer NW9000, in fact it’s better in every way. Just goes to show how experienced I am with headphones, and so I should be with 10 years of experience in this hobby.
Anyways I think it makes allot of sense to rank my headphones in order of most used, not just which is my favourite. I shall do both this time;
Ranked in order of most used;
1. Sony MDR7510/1
2. Denon AH-D5000
3. Ultrasone Edition M
4. AKG K702
5. Neewer NW9000
6. Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart

Ranked in order of favourite;
1. Denon AH-D5000
2. AKG K702
3. Sony MDR7510/1
4. Ultrasone Edition M (the Edition M actually has a similar sound signature to the MDR7510/1 except the Edition M has a smaller soundstage and less bass. Edition M has superior imaging though).
5. Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart (almost never used them since I bought the Denon AH-D5000. TH-X00 are too bassy and artificial sounding compared to the naturalness of the AH-D5000.
6. Neewer NW9000

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #6,398 of 8,137
For Critical Listening, In-Home (No-Privacy-Needed), Tethered to my best Amp
1. Audeze LCD-2 Classic - Anywhere between 95% and 105% as good, in terms of sound quality, as any other pair I own for all styles of music I enjoy.
2. Sennheiser HD-6XX - Outperforms the Audeze for Jazz/Vocals/Accappella/easy-listening.
3. Fostex TR-X00 Mahogany - Occasionally performs as well or slightly better than the Audeze's for some hard rock.
4. HiFiMan HE-4XX - performs almost as well as my Audeze's for some hip-hop/G-funk/"synthetic" music.
5. Sennheiser HD1 on-ear.

For In-The-Office (Privacy Needed), No Amp
A. Fostex TR-X00 Mahogany - incredible comfort, great aesthetic.
B. Bowers & Wilkins P3 Series II - much smaller form factor; doesn't *scream audiophile*. Pinches my ears with glasses.

For Semi-Critical Listening, In-Home (No-Privacy-Needed), multi-tasking (dishes, etc) with a portable amp
i. HiFiMan HE-4XX
ii. Sennheiser HD1 on-ear

For Travel - Fully Portable/Wireless, Closed Back, ANC
Sennheiser HD1 on-ear

Dec 21, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #6,399 of 8,137
1. Audioquest Nightowl. Also my only pair of HiFi HP. Takes me to heaven

2. Sony MDR-1000x I travelled a lot with them so very useful. Until headband broke

3. I wish I had more. Nightowl doesn't take me to heaven in all genres

Dec 23, 2018 at 6:40 AM Post #6,404 of 8,137
1. ZMF Ori
2. ZMF Blackwood
3. MrSpeakers Alpha Prime

I got the Alpha Prime first and loved it so much, that it made me look into other T50 mods. The only thing that i wanted a tad bit more of with the Alpha Prime was warmth. The search for more warmth, eventually led me to ZMF and the rest is history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back