Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Feb 22, 2019 at 4:43 AM Post #6,437 of 8,134
1. Beyerdynamic T 90: No doubt. Leading in Resolution, soundstage, bass Quality. Not classes over the others, but remarkable from time to time. Good materialquality. Need no better.
2. German Maestro GMP 400: Comfortable to wear. Longtime Quality better than it seems. Approved construction since years. Quite balanced with light Peaks in the highs. Underrated.
3. AKG K 601: A close match to the GMP 400. Very comfortable too. Balanced and graphicly room. Beautiful design and Made in Austria(what else?)
4. Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro(EP 600 Ohm). The old one. Take the early DT 990 and make a Professional from it. V-Shape at moderate Level..Excellent Soundstage. Build for the eternity.
5. MB Quart QP 95: The originator of the GMP 400. Spacious and transparent. Same Building construction. Somewhat bassshy.

For the following Headphones I am unable to make some decision in Ranking.
Sennheiser HD 530/HD 530 II. Classic Sennheiser from the late 80s/early 90s. Natural in tone. Roiled off at the freqeunce Ends. Both with 300 Ohm Impedance.
AKG K 240 Sextett Cardan(MP). A real Collection Item in NOS-Condition. Wonderful in middle frequence and resilent. Awakenend in 2010 my interest for Headphones.
MB Quart QP 70: The best closed phone by MB Quart in the time around 1990. Similar Sound signature like all Quart with a Little more bass. Surprisingly speedy at Rock.
Beyerdynamic DT 531: The top of the middle range from Beyer in the 90s. Quite versatile for its pricerange. Good comfort. Nice design.

The Little ones:
Beyerdynamic DT 331: Little brother of the DT 531. Less impedance (40 instead 250 Ohm). My main Headphone from 2001 till 2010. The best of the Little ones.
Beyerdynmamic DT 75. Anniversary model in 1999. Beyer celebrates it 75th and released this Special Editon of a DT 411 or DT 311(?). On-Ear-Building.
Beyerdynamic DT 211 TV. Build like the DT 75. Television Version of the Topseller DT 211 with 5-Meters-Cable and volume Control.
Sennheiser HD 33: My modest beginning in 1991. Featherweighted On-Ear. Made in Germany or Made in Ireland(?).

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 7:32 AM Post #6,439 of 8,134
On the topic of the 820, any particular reason you bought it? It's not exactly well received so just curious. Thankyou for any input!
The glass on each side looks amazing! Jk. I mean hd820 is a nice headphone. It’s a technical evolution to make a closed back headphone sound so great. When people compare it with HD800s, 820 already wins. What people complain about is its price. Guess you’ve got my idea.
Meanwhile, the reason I ranked tribute7 higher than hd820 is that I use tribute7 more often. Tribute7’s ear pads can move around, and this makes me easy to just put it into my backpack and go outside. When talking about the sound quality, I’m so confident tribute7 sounds way better than 820 on a pc or phone. This rank is like something overall. Of course I know 820 is better on my home system, but so what? Tribute7 is the only full-size headphone I will consider go out with right now.

Feb 22, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #6,440 of 8,134
Update for the first time in quite a while...................

1. Pioneer SE Master 1 / Klipsch HP-3 - a virtual tie at this point till I get to do some A/B back to back on the two. Just got the Klipsch a week or so ago and could tell right away it was a keeper and a contender for the title held by the Pioneer as my favorite sound signature of all time after over 60 headphones.
2. Denon LA-7000 - my longest owned headphone and one I'll likely never sell. Fully modded and an incredible sound. Bass that is just right and so tight.
3. HiFiMan HE-400 - modded with every mod known to the community, running it out of speaker taps on a vintage speaker amp, it hits like a brick and the sound is so good. A very underrated and forgotten headphone that is still worthy of listening to along with the three mentioned above. I keep it in my family room and listen to it a couple of times a week and never get disappointed - the bass fed right can be mind blowing.
4. Denon MD-2000 - not far behind the other Denon and the HE-400, it is fully modded by Mark Lawton and is used at work a few hours a week. Great bass.............if you haven't figured out by now I'm an audiophile basshead.
5. Ultrasone Performance 840 - for portable use when I'm working in the yard - fed by a Cayin C5 amp and fronted by an iPod Touch, with Mr Speakers Alpha Pads, this thing isolates and hits like a brick.
Man, I need to get my hands on that Pioneer SE Master1. It sure seems like it's a HP I'd really like. The issue is, no one owns them, ever heard them, they're unknown in the community and there's nowhere to check them out. Kinda like the HP3. I've never seen them at any of our AZ. Headfi meets either. Just because they're developed by a speaker company, they MUST be bad :thinking::smirk::rolling_eyes: Such a shame!
I've owned many of the headphones as you have which we both no longer have, so I'm thinking I'd really like them. Always looking for "that" sound which trumps everything else and right now, it's the HP3.

Feb 22, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #6,441 of 8,134
1. Sony MDR 7510; The 7510 is the most interesting and fascinating headphone i've ever owned. When I first bought it, I was already impressed by it's sound, but as time has passed I have really come to appreciate it. Usually with me, the opposite happens; I buy a headphone, am impressed by it, sometimes REALLY impressed by it, but then eventually I start to realise flaws in it's sound or I discover it's limitations, or the build quality turns out to be poor, or I discover that the headphones become uncomfortable after a prolonged period of time..blah, blah,blah..but with the MDR7510, I've gone through none of those phases. This is the first time this has happened since I started in this hobby 10 years ago. I guess I have found my endgame headphone. The thing is; I could save up for 2 months and buy an HD800, T5P, Focal Clear, TH900..those headphones are within my budget, but none of them would give me what the MDR7510 can. I can just imagine spending around $1,000 USD for one of those high-end headphones and being disappointed at them being no significant upgrade to the MDR 7510. Enough said.
2. Ultrasone Pro 1480i; My gaming/movie headphone. Only had it for about a week now but it is already my second favourite. The surround sound aspect of the Pro 1480i is what sets it apart from the others. It's not that it has the widest soundstage (that title goes to MDR 7510), but it's the projection of sound that is impressive. Other ultrasone headphones i've heard do have this same quality but the sound signature of the Pro 1480i is the best of the ultrasone's i've heard; Fairly neutral and balanced with a laid back, warm overlay. The sound of the PR1480i does scale impressively with my Marantz HD-CD1; deeper bass, more details come out, and the imaging improves even further. Pro 1480i is definitely a keeper.
3. AKGK702; This old master of neutrality/naturalness isn’t going anywhere. The K702 has been my reference for open-back headphones for 10 years now. I've owned 3 in total.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #6,442 of 8,134
Updated for recent changes

1. Focal Utopia
1. Pioneer SE Master 1 (Current favourite) can be a little bright/sibilant with some recordings
1. Audeze LCD-3
2. Beyer T1 (order changed after listening with Questyle CMA800R Golden) very comfortable
2. Audio Technica AT-W5000 if it was made for smaller heads this would go above the T1
3. Denon AH-D7200 (perfect fit and great for mobile use in the office with a sony wm1z)
3. Denon AH-D5000 (Ah - I wish I'd got the D7000 too now - makes me want to try the Fostex TH900MKII) need new pads.
4. Shure SE846 (best IEMs I've tried - mainly used in flight and at airports)
4. Audeze LCD-XC
4. Beyer T5p
5. Pioneer SE Master 5 (a little disappointed expected better)
5. Denon AH-D7100 (great with low output devices like the NW-ZX2) coloured but good
6. Sony MDR-SA5000 (if only they had a bit more bass and were more balanced these would be much higher) *given away
7. Sony Z7R ( the inverse of the SA5000 may problem is that they make my ears sweat) not neutral but a fun sound signature with some styles of music.
8. Shure SE535 Ltd (detailed but I don't get on with the fit)
9. Beyer DT990pro (One of my older favourites)
9. B&W Px wireless (great as wireless headphones go) Noise cancelling
10. Sennheiser HD650 (I'm not a fan sorry Sennheiser fans)

Feb 24, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #6,443 of 8,134
1.) Beyerdynamic DT 480 - 25 Ohm(modded)
2.) Beyerdynamic Amiron Home
3?) Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro - New Addition, will spend more time to determine their place.
3?) Sennheiser HD 600 - New Addition, will spend more time to determine their place.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #6,444 of 8,134
Updating my list with my recent go-to's:

1) Campfire Andromeda - IMO the best sound signature of anything I own. I can throw them on and enjoy anything I throw at them. Hoping to find a headphone close to them, have heard the Eikon's are really close.
2) ZMF Atticus - Paired with my Bottlehead Crack, it's perfect for what I want in a warm headphone. Luscious sound with really good clarity. By far my favorite closed back.
3) Audeze LCD-X - Probably my favorite planar so far. Great bass, imaging, and soundstage. Just a bit dark for what I like and definitely the heaviest headphones I have.
4) MrSpeakers Ether C Flow - Didn't like them at first, but starting to warm up to them. Really good mids and highs with amazing details, just feel like they're lacking in the bass department. Removed the 1.1 port baffles and backed the screws out to get the more bass. Debating on trying the newer pads to help bring the bass out even more. Does not take EQ well unfortunately, easily distorts.
5) Sennheiser HD6XX - Good laid-back headphone, but really amazing how much the Crack transforms these. Fills in the void where the bass rolls off and is overall more energetic.
6) Fostex TH-900 - Best bass out of the bunch, just couldn't get used to the highs. Unbelievable soundstage for a semi-closed back, just felt a little artificial to me. Dekoni pads helped with the treble and brought in the soundstage to a good level.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #6,445 of 8,134
Okay, my current list, though first place is a tie between the Abyss 1266, Focal Utopia, and new contender, from left field, the ZMF Auteur.

The Abyss is big, big base, soundstage, and sound, a 345lb nose guard, who takes on all comers.

The Utopia is insightful, detail, precision, an open window to the musical performance. If you want to hear the second violinist pass gas during a fortissimo, this is the headphone for you. The Utopia is the all star running back, with amazing speed, who can cut on a dime.

The Autuer is musical, beautiful, a wonderful combination of the attributes of the former headphones. It can be powerful and percise, but all times remains musical. The Autuer is the star linebacker, powerful enough to play in the trenches with the big boys, yet with the speed and precision to cover running backs and tight ends.

My HD650, and in-ears are the bench warmers.

Feb 25, 2019 at 5:59 AM Post #6,448 of 8,134
1. Dt 1990 pro
2.hd58x
3.fidelio x2

I want to try the akg k712 too

I have 1 & 3 and previously had the K712 and I did not care for the sound. For me they had too much mid bass that bleed into the mids and made female vocals sound unnatural.

My favourite at the moment is the Beyer T70P (with Beyer DT770 pads). They have such an effortless realistic natural tone and timbre that is so relaxing but also involving and are truly addictive with great presence.

I much prefer them to the Beyer T1 Gen 2 and Beyer DT1990 as well as the AKG K812.......................

A forgotten masterpiece? Anyone else feel the love? :smile_phones:

Mar 6, 2019 at 3:56 AM Post #6,449 of 8,134
A friend who majors in Music and plays the cello went to my house and listen to my MDR R10.
Then he cant stop cerying.
qq_pic_merged_1551861527412.jpg

and for comparing

865533f7ee29a6c84a9c8d45816dc7071af6e792.jpg

Mar 6, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #6,450 of 8,134
Without EQ:
1) Sennheiser HD6XX
2) Koss ESP/95X
3) Sennheiser HD800
4) Focal Clear

With EQ:
1) Sennheiser HD800
2) Koss ESP/95X
3) Sennheiser HD6XX
4) Focal Clear

Comfort is a factor that's included. Based purely on sound quality, the Focal Clear would be at the top of Without-EQ and second on With-EQ. Currently working on finding the right slot for my Verum 1s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back