Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Mar 25, 2019 at 4:01 AM Post #6,466 of 8,131
tried to remember all headphones for last 10 years. very subjective, becouse based on memory and emotions, without real comparison. looks like the best I had - it's my current ZMF Auteur Blackwood and Focal Utopia, but actually I loved LCD-4 most, but unfortunately they were very unconvinient and also had bad pairing with my previous amp. Going to buy Empyrian and E2 next month - so maybe my top would change)

hph 10.JPG

Mar 25, 2019 at 4:19 AM Post #6,468 of 8,131
And there i was 2.5 years ago thinking my wallet had suffered lmao. Cute

Heres my current list
This is not a comparison of all the TOTLs i own, its just a ranking based on my preferences. I know its weird but i listen to a lot of poorly recorded tracks. I chased resolution for so long and in the end, realised that im the kind that prefers to listen to music , not my gear. Kinda ironic that i end up spending so much. I still can appreciate what good gear sounds like on great tracks, which is why im still here i guess. But im just a music lover by heart.

1) SR007A SZ2 Port Modded with Auteur Perforated Lambskin Pads - Now these are my absolute fav headphone. Delving into ZMF stuff recently gave me the idea of swapping pads, and thus i have been busy with this process, and so far settled on those pads for my favourite. Incredible tonality, extremely forgiving, genre master for me. Driven by Carbon/BHSE

2) SR007A SZ2 Port Modded with Auteur Lambskin Pads - I bought this initially just to compare pads, with my other 007 and now i have 2 007s of the same type. This one using the non perforated version of the pads. Warmer and darker alternative to the perforated, but otherwise still remains the best for me. Driven by Carbon/BHSE

3) Susvara - Recently bought a Simaudio Moon 700i to pair with this thing. It finally gets some head time , and is the most 'wow' headphone i own, beating the Abyss Phi in this regard, mainly because of its unmatched spacial resolution. This is one headphone that really has no weakness. Tonality wise, i still prefer the 007. But this deserves a 2nd/3rd place anyway due to its incredible technicalities . Driven by 700i as mentioned

-Huge Gap-

4) ZMF Auteurs/Aeolus - These 2 have an amazing tonality that complements each other. Just only 2 weeks ago, these 2 replaced by HD6XX as my main headphones. But now my 007s have just been stealing the show as it kinda does what these 2 do, but better. Driven by EC Studio

5) Abyss Phi with CC pads - Currently waiting for the TC. These were my favs for a very, very long time. Its tonality was exactly what i wanted in a headphone. Only gripe i had was that with each update, it lost its fun tonality which i like, and becomes a little less forgiving on tracks. Thus, it started to drift away as the genres it excelled on didnt really align with my fav music genres in recent times ( i listen to every genre, but my preferred genres are periodic and changes a lot ). Not that it is lacking in any genre, its just that some other headphones perform better in some, and it just so happens that those genres are the ones i listen to frequently at that point in time. Driven by EC Studio or 700i

6)HD6XX KISS modded - Before the ZMFs(and the 007 pad swaps), this was my go to headphone. But anyway this paired with the EC Studio was my alternative to the Abyss Phi for a period of time, for when i just wanna listen to whatever track im in the mood for. This was when i realised i preferred headphones with more forgiving tonalities

6.5) SR007A SZ2 Port Modded with Stock Pads - Just for reference, this is where id put the 007 with just the port mod. Organic, lush and laid back. Also a genre master, but i like exciting tonalities and the ZMF pads does just that, maybe also because i cant really get a nice seal with the stock

7) SR009 - This is amazing for classical and vocals. But i dont really listen to those 2 genres that much recently and thats why theyre here. Paired with a BHSE. I used to like them with a Carbon more but times have changed.

sorry but am i reading this correctly..??

Mar 26, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #6,469 of 8,131
1. Audeze LCD2 Classic (excellent bass, engaging mids, dynamic/high impact/dimensional sound)

2. Audioquest Nighthawk (warm yet refined, excellent imaging, forgiving of poor recordings)

3. HIFIMAN HE400i (crisp, clear, great tonal balance)

4. Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro (sparkling highs, punchy bass, energetic presentation)

Mar 26, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #6,470 of 8,131
It’s difficult to rank as I like them all and they’re used for different purposes. Some desktop, some portable and one for both.

*Klipsch Heritage HP3
*Focal Clear
*ZMF Ori
*Audeze LCD2C
*Meze 99 Classic modded. Portable and desktop
*Denon AH-D2000 modded
*Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart modded
*Senn HD650
*1MTDOE portable
*Grado Nhoord Red drivers w/Rholupat wood cups. Portable
*Senn HD58X Jubilee
*Sony MDR- 7 modded

Mar 26, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #6,471 of 8,131
It’s difficult to rank as I like them all and they’re used for different purposes. Some desktop, some portable and one for both.

*Klipsch Heritage HP3
*Focal Clear
*ZMF Ori
*Audeze LCD2C
*Meze 99 Classic modded. Portable and desktop
*Denon AH-D2000 modded
*Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart modded
*Senn HD650
*1MTDOE portable
*Grado Nhoord Red drivers w/Rholupat wood cups. Portable
*Senn HD58X Jubilee
*Sony MDR- 7 modded
1 more triple driver over the 58X!? Like to hear your thoughts on this.

Mar 26, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #6,472 of 8,131
1 more triple driver over the 58X!? Like to hear your thoughts on this.
Not much really to say. I like them both but prefer the sound of the 1more. It’s got better and more realistic sounding highs and extended bass versus the 58x. The 58 has it in the mids though It’s just cleaner and more detailed to my ears. It’s got really good synergy with my DFR on IPhone7+. Keep in mind though I only use it portable and once in a blue moon on the desktop. Just a preference.

Mar 26, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #6,473 of 8,131
Not much really to say. I like them both but prefer the sound of the 1more. It’s got better and more realistic sounding highs and extended bass versus the 58x. The 58 has it in the mids though It’s just cleaner and more detailed to my ears. It’s got really good synergy with my DFR on IPhone7+. Keep in mind though I only use it portable and once in a blue moon on the desktop. Just a preference.
Got ya. I guess I just found it a little to boring and sterile, with somewhat recessed mids. Wasn't a bad listen, just didn't make the cut.

Mar 27, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #6,474 of 8,131
1. Beyerdynamic T5p-But only when played on Audio-GD NOS 11 (otherwise this ranks much lower)
2. Focal Elex
3. Stax L-700 (probably would be higher if I had a better amp)
4. Sennheiser HD800S
5. Audeze LCD-X
6. Audeze Mobius
8. Monoprice M1060
9. Sennheiser HD600
9999. Apple Airpods (Hey they're good for watching Youtube vids)

Mar 31, 2019 at 7:15 AM Post #6,475 of 8,131
So far (Kennerton Magister Pro incoming from Russia...)

1. Stax L300 (modded to correct the seal and move them from head a bit)
2. Hifiman HE-560, Balanced cable
3. Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Balanced cable
4. Bosshifi B8
5. Beyerdynamic dt990 Pro (250 Ohm)
6. AKG K240 Studio
7. Koss KSC75
8. KZ ZS6 (JUST NO!! how people can listen the music with these: too bright, too thin, too bad)

Mar 31, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #6,476 of 8,131
1) HE500 (put inside the glistening purple housing of an HE6 that is): If it didn’t weigh half a kilo it’d most likely be my only headphone.
2) Sundara, Bird aka Nighthawk, 660 or Leif as I affectionately call him, R70X, S4r ‘naked’: all tied..quite simply impossible to chose one over the other because I listen to so many different styles of music and very often flip flop on my tastes as well. Some times I prefer Miles’ trumpet with a bit of warmth underneath, other times I want my deadmau5 presented ultraclear and precise sans the boosted bottom-end. There’s no ‘best’ or ‘greatest’ only brilliant moments with headphones that at times fit like the proverbial glove.
7) HFI-15g....then again some times this is my favourite headphone. It really is. When the weather turns sauna-like, this automatically becomes my one and only headphone...and given a little time that pesky s-logic suddenly blossoms up in the ol brainfondue and music grows huge and wonderful. I do try to focus on music that doesn’t contain subbass though:wink:
8) TMA-1 Studio: yeah ermmm...it’s in last place simply because I forgot about it. It’s a brilliant headphone. Warm yet detailed and incredible comfortable. Weighs in at a little over 200 grams, just like my Audio Technica. My designated on-the-go and travel can.

I don’t know..maybe it’s just me but I’ve always had difficulties with ratings - especially with the stuff I love for very different reasons.
In short, I suck at this.

Mar 31, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #6,477 of 8,131
Very difficult to make a list, because it‘s depending on many factors, which one I chose to listen:
Only the first two are clear:
Stax 009 and Mysphere 3.2.
followed with distance by 007mk1 sz70xxx and 007mk2 and at the same level K1000
Next are different Staxes 404 LE, 300 LE, Signature , Sigma Pro and for sure the Sennheiser HE60
Audeze XC with Nordost
HD600 with Stefans Audio Cable XLR
HD800 Mod.
AKG k812
Grado GH2
Ergo AMT
HD580
Having owned HE6, HE 1000, Audeze LCD3, Abyss...only miss the last one.
Would like to listen to ZMF and the new Abyss Phi TC.
All my headphones are driven by a Paltauf Universal Headamp, which I changed against a KGSSHV and which is powerful enough to drive 007 and K1000 easily.

Mar 31, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #6,478 of 8,131
Raking based on enjoyment:
  1. Focal Utopia
  2. Focal Clear
  3. Massdrop x Focal Elex
  4. Sony MDR-Z1R
  5. Campfire Audio Cascade (with cloth ear pads)
  6. Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX (with V281 amp, otherwise after Sundara)
  7. Hifiman Sundara
  8. Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohm LE
  9. Takstar PRO82
  10. Sony MDR-V6

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #6,479 of 8,131
1. HD800SDR + Aficionado
2. Verite Silkwood + BHA-1
3. Verite Silkwood + Aficionado
4. Andromeda w Spinfit M + IEMatch on Ultra
4. HD800SDR + BHA-1
5. Verum 1 + BHA-1
6. HE-500 + BHA-1
7. HD650 + Aficionado (can be higher depending on song)
8. Mobius (fun for gaming but I prefer a good stereo headphone aka any of the above)
9. PC37X (when I need a mic for gaming)
10. Pinnacle PX w triflange tips (used as a daily for isolation at work and at the gym)

Mar 31, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #6,480 of 8,131
1. Sennheiser HD 820
2. Sennheiser HD 700
3. Focal Elex
4. Sennheiser HD 6XX & HiFiMan HE-4XX (just not in the same league as the others IMHO)
6. Audeze Mobius (maybe as good as the two Massdrops, but just a pain to use wired, especially via iPhone CCK so I use almost solely for TV/movies)
7. Sennheiser PXC 550 (short flights/convenience/comfort/brief travel)
8. Sony WH-1000XM2 (long flights/travel)

Also have Bose Soundsport Free, but only use them for exercise and yard work. Otherwise they'd be somewhere between my 4 and 7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back