Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Aug 19, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #6,331 of 8,134
^ Acknowledging your comment about the ranking being difficult, I am glad you listed Stax at the top. Stax master race!!

Aug 19, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #6,332 of 8,134
Okay, I may have reached Headphone Nirvana, what could be the final list...

1) Abyss 1266- The best Headphones on the Planet, keep your wispy Electrostatics, these beasts are only bested by the newer revisions.

2) Focal Utopia- A very close second, and an excellent complete to the Abyss.

3) All other Headphones.

Aug 19, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #6,333 of 8,134
1) Abyss 1266- The best Headphones on the Planet, keep your wispy Electrostatics, these beasts are only bested by the newer revisions.

GMTA :)

Aug 20, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #6,335 of 8,134
Current lineup

1. Stax L500
-Nectar for my ears and soul.
2. Sennheiser Momentum on ear wireless
-The freedom of movement with bluetooth headphones blew my mind and I love them dearly for it.
3. Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80Ohm
-These have been with me for 12 years now, and I almost feel bad dumping them in third but...

All time lineup:

1. Stax L500
2. Stax Lambda SR Pro
3. Sennheiser HD6XX
-paired these with a Bottlehead Crack, very nice, though almost oppressively meaty and warm.
4. Sennheiser Momentum on ear wireless
5. Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80Ohm
Now for the stinkers:
6. Denon ...errr whatever noise cancelling headphones
-plastic piece of crap headband broke a million times.
7. Beyerdynamic T90 Chrome
-holy head-piercing treble, Batman! Jazz on these almost made me cry from pain.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #6,336 of 8,134
7. Beyerdynamic T90 Chrome
-holy head-piercing treble, Batman! Jazz on these almost made me cry from pain

Well use the Stax L500 for jazz :)

I personally really like the T90's for movies ... very comfortable, great slam and dynamics, good bass ... treble is clear doesn't disturb me at all during those explosions :)

PS: ever heard a Stax SR-404 with some jazz?

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #6,337 of 8,134
Okay, I may have reached Headphone Nirvana, what could be the final list...

3) All other Headphones.

What's "best" is actually pretty relative ... What's best for you doesn't necessarily have to be the best for everyone else.

Well while I agree these are both awesome headphones when it comes to technicalities, speed, attack, dynamics and such, I'd still rather stick with my Stax 007 and LCD3 for those warm and sirupy singer songwriter songs that let you sink into the music or even for some old and not very well recorded rock songs ...

Many different TOTL headphones have their use and strengths in my opinion - thats why I have a few of them as well :)

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #6,338 of 8,134
Well use the Stax L500 for jazz :)

I personally really like the T90's for movies ... very comfortable, great slam and dynamics, good bass ... treble is clear doesn't disturb me at all during those explosions :)

PS: ever heard a Stax SR-404 with some jazz?

The bass in the T90 was awesome, and the highs were very detailed.
And I can totally see them being perfect for movies.
Plus, they were extremely comfortable to wear; like hugs on my ears.
But I had to make a choice between the T90 and the HD6XX at the time and the HD6XX was just more agreeable with my ears :)

Also, I had the DT770 for games and movies and I just couldn’t bring myself to replace my trusty old companion.

Haven’t tried the 404, but I assume it is like the other Stax’ I’ve tried: sublime :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #6,339 of 8,134
New list after a recent, for me revolution in technology, and a revelation in how and when you can listen to music. Basically anytime anywhere or all the time everywhere whilst awake.

Headphones currently used by usage, quality of sound and comfort (especially hot weather) and versatility:

Sony WF-1000W (mind bogglingly good) .....
.. ........
Jays v-Jays..
. Sennheiser HD600 (ultimately best in sound obviously) ....
Sony MDR-10RC .....
.... Edited- other headphones removed from list...

Old favourites like the HD25s don't get a look in (until, if and when I get another Chord Mojo)

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #6,340 of 8,134
An update to my list.

1.) Beyerdynamic DT 480 - 25 Ohm(Modded): Still my number one headphone, biggest soundstage, best imaging, and most organic sounding of my headphones. No coloration or grain to the sound. Insanely fast, dynamic, and detailed. Great PRaT. Insane clarity and transparency. Largest imaging(every instrument/voice just seems bigger in physical size). Okay comfort.

?) Beyerdynamic T1 Gen. 2 - Black Edition: Very organic, smooth, and natural sounding, has some treble energy but very smooth and has excellent imaging and soundstaging, not DT 480 good, but better than anything else I owned. Very good midrange and powerful controlled bass. Has a larger sense of scale than the Amiron and DT 990. Overall on the warm side. Still new, so not final on my impressions or ranking. My most comfortable headphone.

3.) Beyerdynamic Amiron Home: Similar to the T1.2 in some aspects but more laid-back, especially in the upper mids and has more bass energy. A relaxing and calming listen. Slightly below the T1.2 in comfort.

4.) Beyerdynamic DT 990 - 600 Ohm - Chrome Edition: Very clean sounding with good detail, mids a bit too recessed for my liking and the treble is sharp but not fatiguing. Very smooth sounding regardless. Doesn't have the power or physical presence/tactility to the sound of the above headphones.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #6,342 of 8,134
Built up a bit of a collection since my last post, so here's my update:

1. CA Andromedas - Technically not a headphone but whatever. Amazing IEMs, plays everything I throw at it beautifully with an expansive soundstage, detail, and clarity.
2. HD6XX - Pretty much stays connected to my amp, using oratory's EQ settings and they sound amazing with the added bass and treble (usually try to stay away from EQing but wow did it make a difference). Almost sound as good as when I auditioned the HD800s, minus the soundstage of course. Really need to try these with tubes soon.
3. M1060 w/ Audeze vegans - If you haven't put vegan pads on your M1060s, please do so ASAP. I was so shocked by how much of a difference they made. Mids no longer grainy, strong bass presence and treble plays along smoothly.
4. TH-X00PH - Still my go-to headphones when I want head-shaking bass, just haven't seen much use since the sibilance pops out much more after mainly using darker headphones. (Edit: Might be a problem with my Mimby, will update.)
5. Fidelio X2 - Only used exclusively for gaming. They still handle music good, I just have other headphones I'd rather go to.
6. HD58X - Honestly are a great bang-for-your-buck, but after hearing the luscious mids of the 6XX I always feel like these sound grainy and unrefined.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #6,343 of 8,134
1. Audioquest Nighthawk - and it surpasses my others by a large margin. These suit my ears and musical needs quite nicely. Dark and steamy sexiness - unadulterated.
2. Hifiman HE400i - changed to ZMF Ori pads and I love these things.
3. AKG 712 Pro - this is very close to the HE400i both in terms of sound and comfort. The soundstage on this makes it perfect for gaming
4. Audio Technica AD900x - soundstage is legendary. Great for gaming and music. I love the bass these have over the AD700x. I mod these for funsies. Detachable cable, new silver wire, brainwaves pad roll, etc.
5. HE350 best sub 100.00 headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back