Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Jun 27, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #6,301 of 8,131
My wife says I have an illness. She is probably is right.
However, she is blown away when she listens to many of them. So she puts up with my addiction to pursue my never ending pursuit of aural nervana.

No, my wife is the one who has the illness, not me! :ksc75smile:

original.gif

Jun 27, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #6,302 of 8,131
No, my wife is the one who has the illness, not me! :ksc75smile:

original.gif
My addiction is high end fishing gear. Mostly JDM stuff. I have more rods and reels than I know what to do with. Luckily my wife supports and understands. Plus she's happy it makes me happy. I don't know how she's going to feel about this 2nd newfound hobby I'm exploring. Like I always tell her, I could be spending our money on worse things

Jun 27, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #6,303 of 8,131
"Rank the girlfriends/wives that you... " (I'm not finishing that sentence)

Jun 27, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #6,304 of 8,131
LCD-3 is more laid back and more refined overall. Lcd-2c has more in your face punch. For long term listening, the LCD-3f is more to my liking. I actually recently sold the LCD-2C, a great value for sure, but the LCD-3f are staying put!

For me, the LCD-3 is a headphone that I can envision never selling. It has a warm and sweet quality which makes it pleasant to spend time with and never offends. Other headphones may have more pizazz in one aspect or another, but when tired of them, I can always count on going back to the LCD-3 for satisfaction.

Jun 27, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #6,305 of 8,131
Hellooo, can I get your opinion on the zmf ori vs the lcd 2.2f? I've been eyeing the ori for a custom set of headphones and was wondering how they'll compliment each other.
I could just say I sold the Ori and kept the LCD2, but that's the easy way out. First, I'd file them both under the heavy but comfortable type of cans. The Ori shine with certain types of music, but they were just too dark for me. And I did remove a little bit of the insulation in them to lighten them up a little. If it were me, I'd aim for something a little more clear/treble strong to compliment either of the 2 mentioned. I find my DT1990 are a good counterbalance to the LCD2.

Jul 4, 2018 at 2:41 AM Post #6,306 of 8,131
Another update to my list. Not listing my DT 480 as it's not being used much currently as I'm unsure where to go on the modding at the moment, waiting for inspiration to hit.

1.) Beyerdynamic DT 831(closed, modded): Reverted it back to closed-back. The midrange on this thing is glorious, it's so full, musical, clear, and euphoric and doesn't seem to have any dips or accentuations. Fantastic body, dynamics, speed, and imaging. This headphone is the definition of excellent PRAT, it's a bit too addicting. Like any transparent closed-back it doesn't sound closed at all.

2(tie) Beyerdynamic Amiron Home(stock): My longest owned headphone, a bit laid-back in the mids but I can listen to these non-stop all day. I can always go back to these and I never grow tired of them. A bit on the u-shaped with an overall softer sound. More resolving and detailed with better dynamics than the HD 650. Very transparent.

2(tie) Sennheiser HD 650(stock): Newest addition to my headphone family, the HD 650 is definitely a legend for a reason. Very smooth and full sounding with some mid-bass accentuation. It's pretty obvious this thing scales-up with gear like a monster. Probably the best tuned of my headphones.

3.) Beyerdynamic DT 880 Black - 250 Ohm(stock): This headphone has grown on me, a bit on the lean side at times but doesn't really do anything wrong and very uncolored, sounds a little too damped at times. Still slightly unsure about it.

4.) Sennheiser HD 660 S(stock): I used to like this headphone more, but honestly it seems to lack a bit of transparency and has inability to scale up much as it's predecessor that prevents it from being truly great, the HD 650 ruins it for me on my system. I understand what Tyll was talking about on these now.

5.) AKG Q701(stock): If modded will be tied for number 2, but trying it out currently as stock. Has a lot going for it, but unless modded the upper mids are just not to my liking.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #6,307 of 8,131
Another update to my list. Not listing my DT 480 as it's not being used much currently as I'm unsure where to go on the modding at the moment, waiting for inspiration to hit.

1.) Beyerdynamic DT 831(closed, modded): Reverted it back to closed-back. The midrange on this thing is glorious, it's so full, musical, clear, and euphoric and doesn't seem to have any dips or accentuations. Fantastic body, dynamics, speed, and imaging. This headphone is the definition of excellent PRAT, it's a bit too addicting. Like any transparent closed-back it doesn't sound closed at all. This is the most transparent headphone on the list.

2(tie) Beyerdynamic Amiron Home(stock): My longest owned headphone, a bit laid-back in the mids but I can listen to these non-stop all day. I can always go back to these and I never grow tired of them. A bit on the u-shaped with an overall softer sound. More resolving and detailed with better dynamics than the HD 650. Very transparent.

2(tie) Sennheiser HD 650(stock): Newest addition to my headphone family, the HD 650 is definitely a legend for a reason. Very smooth and full sounding with some mid-bass accentuation. It's pretty obvious this thing scales-up with gear like a monster. Probably the best tuned of my headphones.

3.) Beyerdynamic DT 880 Black - 250 Ohm(stock): This headphone has grown on me, a bit on the lean side at times but doesn't really do anything wrong and very uncolored, sounds a little too damped at times. Still slightly unsure about it.

4.) Sennheiser HD 660 S(stock): I used to like this headphone more, but honestly it seems to lack a bit of transparency and has inability to scale up much as it's predecessor that prevents it from being truly great, the HD 650 ruins it for me on my system. I understand what Tyll was talking about on these now.

5.) AKG Q701(stock): If modded will be tied for number 2, but trying it out currently as stock. Has a lot going for it, but unless modded the upper mids are just not to my liking.

Dynamat Xtreme will inspire for your beloved 480. Although i wish to not open up mine again after the headband snapping disaster and pinched wire, i may down the road by replacing the foam dampening disc i had placed inside with a glass fibre acoustic dampening material. I believe IIRC Sony used this in their 900st, which is known for their magical mids over the 7506/v6 cousins. So far with the sorbothane suggestion from you and Henery, plus the excessive use of dynamat xtreme, it had caused a 480.200> 48.25 for me. Just a more livelier mids and better extention on both ends over 48.25 (I think its an 80s /90s version 25ohm). I've tried 1540/hm5 sheepskin, dt100 velour, and settled with brand new dt150 (unstretched lips) pads on the 48.25. So, think about those. I know Sony has OEM glass fibre discs, but hard to find outside Japan. I have a good feeling about them if i can get my hands on them!

Hope to see you mod and bring that 480 back to its original #1 spot :D

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #6,308 of 8,131
Dynamat Xtreme will inspire for your beloved 480. Although i wish to not open up mine again after the headband snapping disaster and pinched wire, i may down the road by replacing the foam dampening disc i had placed inside with a glass fibre acoustic dampening material. I believe IIRC Sony used this in their 900st, which is known for their magical mids over the 7506/v6 cousins. So far with the sorbothane suggestion from you and Henery, plus the excessive use of dynamat xtreme, it had caused a 480.200> 48.25 for me. Just a more livelier mids and better extention on both ends over 48.25 (I think its an 80s /90s version 25ohm). I've tried 1540/hm5 sheepskin, dt100 velour, and settled with brand new dt150 (unstretched lips) pads on the 48.25. So, think about those. I know Sony has OEM glass fibre discs, but hard to find outside Japan. I have a good feeling about them if i can get my hands on them!

Hope to see you mod and bring that 480 back to its original #1 spot :D

I still rate the DT 480 as my #1 headphone, but I do like to take breaks from them to focus on other headphones and I don't want to open it up again until I feel ready to. Currently focusing on my new HD 650 mainly and breaking them in. The DT 480 do make everything else sound a bit artificial after spending some time with them though, I'm sure you know exactly what I mean there. Good luck on getting a hold of them.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #6,309 of 8,131
I used Beyer DT770 pads. I no longer have them, unfortunately. At the time, Mr. Speakers’ Alpha Pads were quite popular. Now you have more options from Dekoni, ZMF, etc.

Back in February 2014, I bought my first full sized headphones after only using buds and then in ears for years. I decided on the M-Audio Studiophile Q-40's based on MalVeauX's review and I was not disappointed. I just bought a pair of Dekoni Audio Elite Sheepskin pads for my Q-40's. They're twice the thickness so the drivers are further away from your ears so the sound signature definitely changes but it's for the better in my opinion- better separation, bigger soundstage. For me these cans have always been for home listening as they're really too big to wear while walking around. I'd done it a couple of times but with the new pads I doubt I'd ever again. Besides, I got a pair of B&W P5 Wireless for walking around...though those have their own issues soon to be addressed with replacement pads as well!

Jul 24, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #6,310 of 8,131
1. Audeze Sine Lightning
2. Stax 4170
3. Klipsch x20i
4.Grado GH2
5. Beyerdynamic t1 2nd.

Sine has the best sound signature to MEA Easy to listen for hours.

Previously had dt1350, ad700, ma900, grado gr10 (sent to me instead of 10e, returned, and these sucks), shp9500, monster copper, monster mile Davis, Sony mdr-v7 (not 6) do not miss any of them. Well maybe the ma900 for the comfort. Possibly sell the t1 next. Nothing special about that one.

Jul 25, 2018 at 4:06 AM Post #6,313 of 8,131
1) Audeze LCD-X — swapped for this one yesterday after the headband on my LCD-2c went a bit funny. Honestly the best headphone I’ve heard out the box.

2) Noble 4 — got these IEMs really cheap 4 years ago. They’re still great.

3) Beyer DT880 — good headphone for watching TV.

That’s me! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back