Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Jun 18, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #6,286 of 8,131
I've been a bit curious by the MX100 for a while now.

How do you think they sound?

Mx100 is overall very balanced sounding. Depending on ones references it can be heard as bit bass light or a bit bass heavy. Very smooth highs with no sibilance. Very clear, even midrange.

It is tricky trying to explain why it is better than My other headphones with same characterestics without making it sound like meaningless marketing talk.

There is something about mx100 that makes me notice new things in music. For example I had never paid attention on how bass in the beginning of Queen's another one bites the dust. It's the same bass riff all the time but with JVC's I notice how every note is slightly different. Well technically he is playing it the same but one can't play it 100% identical. Noticing stuff like that makes music sound more real and live.

It sounds more like a band performing instead of a sterile studio recording being played. I want to emhasize it is not like being bombarded with details that distract you from music. It is The opposite. Mx100 kind of fills the blanks in music making it sound more whole. Fun and detailed monitoring headphones are often considered to be opposites. But in this case mx100 is a monitoring headphone but also the most fun headphone I have ever had.

Jun 18, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #6,287 of 8,131
Mx100 is overall very balanced sounding. Depending on ones references it can be heard as bit bass light or a bit bass heavy. Very smooth highs with no sibilance. Very clear, even midrange.

It is tricky trying to explain why it is better than My other headphones with same characterestics without making it sound like meaningless marketing talk.

There is something about mx100 that makes me notice new things in music. For example I had never paid attention on how bass in the beginning of Queen's another one bites the dust. It's the same bass riff all the time but with JVC's I notice how every note is slightly different. Well technically he is playing it the same but one can't play it 100% identical. Noticing stuff like that makes music sound more real and live.

It sounds more like a band performing instead of a sterile studio recording being played. I want to emhasize it is not like being bombarded with details that distract you from music. It is The opposite. Mx100 kind of fills the blanks in music making it sound more whole. Fun and detailed monitoring headphones are often considered to be opposites. But in this case mx100 is a monitoring headphone but also the most fun headphone I have ever had.

Thanks for your thoughts!

I know you mentioned that they're overall very balanced sounding, but would you say that there's any midrange or upper midrange emphasis? Say like in comparison to the DX1000 or T1 that you have ranked on your list; which would have the most midrange quantity?

I ask this because I'm not a fan of a forward midrange/upper midrange response.

Jun 24, 2018 at 3:40 AM Post #6,288 of 8,131
1. Sony Z1R
Stil my best headphone. It doesn't get as much headtime after I got my Aeon Open but every time I put it on my head it's pure bliss and enjoyment. It's not perfect but for a closed headphone and for my preferences it's very near!

2. Aeon Open
A very pleasant headphone and the least fatigue headphone I have ever heard or owned, almost irritating pleasent! More often than not it goes... Arrhh just one more album... just one more track :). It's difficult to stop listening to this headphone. It doesn't really wow in anything and certainly doesn't wow in the beginning. What stands out for me is the coherency, the tuning is superb. Dan from Mr Speakers knows how to tune a headphone.

3. Beyer Amiron
Very different signature and tuning compared to the Aeon Open. I still enjoy it very much but also have to be honest, it can't compete with the Aeon Open. In Europe the Aeon is also quite a bit more expensive, for the price paid the Amiron is still difficult to beat.

4. Ultrasone Signature Pro
The black sheep of the family. It's not the best closed headphone available and definitely not the most comfortable. But it's still one of the best closed Portable headphones on the market. It can compete with many TOTL iems double the price. I have auditioning the CA Cascade and was not that impressed, too much low end for my preferences and music. I still prefer the Sig Pro, just wished it was more comfortable.

Jun 25, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #6,289 of 8,131
Thanks for your thoughts!

I know you mentioned that they're overall very balanced sounding, but would you say that there's any midrange or upper midrange emphasis? Say like in comparison to the DX1000 or T1 that you have ranked on your list; which would have the most midrange quantity?

I ask this because I'm not a fan of a forward midrange/upper midrange response.

I tend to listen very loud. Basically I adjust volume high as can go before some area or frequency is too much and then dial down the volume a bit.

With dx1000 there is some peak somewhere in the upper midrange that gets bothersome first. With some music it is bass that gets a bit excessive.

With T1 it is the highs that limit the listening volume.

With mx100 no frequency tops another. So I guess in that sense mx100 has most forward mids. Are they they midforward? I'm afraid I can't really answer that.

I have never found any headphone having too much midrange. Maybe k500/k501 but mids on those align beautifully with mellow highs...so instead of midforward I'd just call them bass light. For me quantity of mids is the hardest area to describe. For me it is recessed or it's not. Sorry...

Jun 25, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #6,290 of 8,131
I tend to listen very loud. Basically I adjust volume high as can go before some area or frequency is too much and then dial down the volume a bit.

That might be an indication that you're not getting the sound signature you're seeking from your gear, and needing to compensate by increasing volume. You might want to try to a headphone with a more energetic presentation, such as the Focal Elear/Clear/Utopia.

Jun 25, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #6,291 of 8,131
That might be an indication that you're not getting the sound signature you're seeking from your gear, and needing to compensate by increasing volume. You might want to try to a headphone with a more energetic presentation, such as the Focal Elear/Clear/Utopia.
Good theory...but actually it is a "childhood trauma". Growing up I had large floorstanders+15" subwoofer that I used to listen loud. It is difficult(impossible) because I can't get real visceral impact with headphones but loud volume does help. That is propably one of the reasons why I like mx100. I can adjust the volume level without any frequency becoming the limit.

My bassheavy speaker background is also the reason why I like JVC dx1000 so much. With generous bass and soundstage those resemble large floorstanders with good bass. Also dx1000 has the natural resonances that u get in a normal room. Hd800 and T1 are more like good desktop/shelf speakers imo.

Jun 26, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #6,292 of 8,131
1) ZMF Ori
2) ZMF Blackwood
3) Audeze LCD-4
4) Sennheiser HD 6XX

Updating my list though I no longer own the LCD-4 so I will have to exclude it:

1) ZMF Ori
2) ZMF Blackwood
3) LFF Code-6 (aka Code Sex)
4) Sennheiser HD 6XX

I would rank the Code-6 above the LCD-4 though.

Jun 27, 2018 at 4:15 AM Post #6,293 of 8,131
Here's my ranking for the headphones I own so far:

1) Fostex TH-X00 Purplehearts w/ Lawton tune-up kit & Dekoni TH-900 pads - My go-to fun headphone. Crazy amounts of bass with good detail and surprisingly wide sound for a closed back. Lawton kit is a must IMO.
2) Philips Fidelio X2 - My daily drivers. Huge soundstage for gaming and works with more genres of music compared to the others.
3) Monoprice M1060 v2 w/ fazor mod & Dekoni Audeze pads - My current modding project. Awesome detail and bass but not a fan of the mids.

All v-shaped headphones I know lol, but currently have a pair of HD6XXs coming in so we'll see how I compare them.

Jun 27, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #6,295 of 8,131
Been awhile, and before anyone comments know a couple things. Yes, I know I have a lot of over lap in my collection. And that in a few months time I should be moving. When that happens there will be a grand sale of all the stuff I don't want anymore. So, here goes, from the top.

LCD-2.2F, Fostex TH900 MK1, Beyerdynamic 1990 Pro, ZMF Ori, Philips X2, Hifiman HE560, Fostex TH610, Fostex T40RP, Mrspeakers Ether, Audioquest NightHawks, Grado RS2e, Grado SR225e, Beyerdynamic DT770 80ohm, RHB HP-2, Sennheiser Momentum over ear, Thinksound ON2, Senn. HD598, Senn. HD558, Senn. HD650, Fostex TH500RP, Kennerton Vali, Kennerton Magister Lite.

IEMs - iBasso IT01, Fiio F9pro, Fiio F5, Beyerdynamic iDX200, 1More Quad.
Hellooo, can I get your opinion on the zmf ori vs the lcd 2.2f? I've been eyeing the ori for a custom set of headphones and was wondering how they'll compliment each other.

Jun 27, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #6,296 of 8,131
Top 26 headphones in my collection. The order may vary slightly depending on the genre of music I am listening to.

1. Focal Elear
2. Audeze LCD X, just added to collection due to Audeze $500.00 discount currently available. Moved into second close call for first.

3. Audeze LCD 2
4. Sennheiser HD 700
5. Grado RS1i
6.Hifiman HE 560
7. Beyerdynamic T90
8. Hifiman HE 400i
9. Sennheiser HD 600
10. Grado 225i
11. Philips X2
12. AKG Q 701(German Mod)
13. Audio Tecnica MSR 7
14. Meze 99 Classics
15. Bowers and Wilkens P7'
16. Sennheiser HD 6XX
17. AKG K7XX
18. Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 ohm
19. Monoprice Monolith' 1060
20. Bang and Olufsen H6
21. Sennheiser HD 598
22. Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 ohm
23. Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250. ohm
24. Soundmagic HD 200
25. Soundmagic HD 150
26. Philips L2
whoaaaa...... seriously just whoaaaa >.<

Jun 27, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #6,297 of 8,131
How would you compare the LCD 2C to the LCD 3? I've been eyeing the 3's for awhile and have been seeing a few for a good price lately.

LCD-3 is more laid back and more refined overall. Lcd-2c has more in your face punch. For long term listening, the LCD-3f is more to my liking. I actually recently sold the LCD-2C, a great value for sure, but the LCD-3f are staying put!

Jun 27, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #6,298 of 8,131
LCD-3 is more laid back and more refined overall. Lcd-2c has more in your face punch. For long term listening, the LCD-3f is more to my liking. I actually recently sold the LCD-2C, a great value for sure, but the LCD-3f are staying put!
I see, thank you! I had the 2f and sold it to try out the 2c and had a bit of regret afterwards. There was just something that the 2f had that the 2c didn't. Mostly in the top end. I might just sell the 2c and go straight for the 3 since it'll be a more refine version of both.

Jun 27, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #6,300 of 8,131
My wife says I have an illness. She is probably is right.
However, she is blown away when she listens to many of them. So she puts up with my addiction to pursue my never ending pursuit of aural nervana.
My girlfriend is the same! Every time a package comes and she sees a pair of headphones she would always ask me when my addiction will end. I would always just give her this silence stare and puppy dog eyes then run away into my cave. One day we were talking over dinner and she mentioned that SZA was her new favorite artist. After that it was history. I took this chance and launched a full frontal assault it was all or nothing baby! I smiled.. stopped dinner and took her to my lair... from then on it was never the same... she stopped commenting. I think I won...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back