Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Aug 15, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #4,412 of 8,134
bro headphone company's have there@#@ together more so than ever ...the last 5 years have blown away everything. ..closed open do not agree. .

Many good headphone models have been made indeed... but amongst all that there are so many under-engineered cans out there at a high price. Its the fun trend to charge thousands for your brand spanking new toy these days, helped along by oft rampant consumerism and acceptance of such a poor value proposition. Though I'm not saying that all highly priced cans are poor quality mind you, don't take this the wrong way. Go vintage, and you will find that there are cans out there that are just as good as the top of the heap in today headphone market, at a far lower cost. Vintage Stax electrostats still sound just as good as many higher priced cans now. When you see some of the measurements, and then hear some of the crazy bad issues some headphones today have, even when they cost $1000 then you really have to scratch your head.

Aug 15, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #4,413 of 8,134
Updating with my recent acquisition of the SE-846

1) Sennheiser HD-800
2) Shure SE-846
3) B&W P7
4) Sennheiser Momentum
5) Shure SE-535
6) Shure SRH-840
7) Sennheiser HD-590

Aug 15, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #4,414 of 8,134
If I ranked my cans it'd be something like this

Sennheiser HD800
Mr Speakers Alpha Dog
Audeze LCD2.2
ZMF x Vibro
Fostex TH600
Hifiman HE500
JVC DX1000
Beyerdynamic T1
Ultrasone Signature DJ
Sennheiser HD650
Sennheiser HD600
Feenix Aria
Grado Bushmills
Philips X1
Audio Technica W1000X

Waiting on delivery Oppo PM-2

Have you ever considered the fact, that with the amount of money invested in your collection of cans, you could have brought yourself a Stax 009, or even a Stax 007 setup?
With that amount of cans, how do you get the time to listen to them all if you don't mind me asking? I don't mean to offend by the way.... I'm simply curious.

Aug 15, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #4,415 of 8,134
Updating with my recent acquisition of the SE-846

1) Sennheiser HD-800
2) Shure SE-846
3) B&W P7
4) Sennheiser Momentum
5) Shure SE-535
6) Shure SRH-840
7) Sennheiser HD-590

Nice another HD590 owner! 
beerchug.gif

Aug 15, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #4,417 of 8,134

Have you ever considered the fact, that with the amount of money invested in your collection of cans, you could have brought yourself a Stax 009, or even a Stax 007 setup?
With that amount of cans, how do you get the time to listen to them all if you don't mind me asking? I don't mean to offend by the way.... I'm simply curious.

A lot of the fun in this hobby is about the journey so price doens't really matter.  he probably acquired these over many many years..  He might rotate some of them in any & out or maybe he's just a collector.  I know myself, I used to own at least 7 $300+ cans at one point.  I finally sold some of them (and gave some others away) recently because I wasn't ever using them again hah.

Aug 15, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #4,418 of 8,134

bro headphone company's have there@#@ together more so than ever ...the last 5 years have blown away everything. ..closed open do not agree. .

Yeah no. I doubt you've even heard any of the pre-2000s era flagships. The 1980s - 1990s were some of the best years in headphone audio. 

I prefer my Sony DR-Z7 (1978) and Pioneer Monitor 10-II (1985) to the HD800 by a significant margin. The Z7 is faster and tighter while the 10-II is much cleaner, well extended, and more neutral. I have done direct A/B comparisons between these three headphones; a close friend of mine recently bought an HD800 and lent it to me for a couple weeks. It was very well driven and I gave it a fair shake. It wasn't outright worse than the 10-II or Z7, but they still have traits that they surpass the HD800 in, particularly low end clarity, control, and extension. And hey, guess what? Both the Z7 and 10-II are closed.

And of course there's also the Sony MDR-R10 (1990), which most people consider to be the best headphone on the planet. It is also closed, though not sealed like the Z7 and 10-II, and had more engineering put into it than any headphone/earphone to date.

Aug 15, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #4,419 of 8,134
1. 6  ohms JVC HA-G77 (originaly replaced and rewound driver) patented in Serbia  >DD drivers speakers>.
Those cans of massive sound are amazing. They need some amplifying , but they quite fits in better sound card with good pre-amp.Volume is linear, you may be surprised with their purity and cristal clear   with very wide sound stage. Never heard this headphones before like this!!! maybe AKG sound similiar, but not that quality like   6 ohms giants. They are totally analitic and good in any music production  .Not for portable use. With no problem i can compare these headphones with any over 600 euros.The lower the resistance of  drivers ,headphones sounds better. i sign that.

2. Sony MDR-XB700 24 ohms
3. Sennheiser Momentum 16 ohms
4. AKG k240 64 ohms

Aug 16, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #4,420 of 8,134
  A lot of the fun in this hobby is about the journey so price doens't really matter.  he probably acquired these over many many years..  He might rotate some of them in any & out or maybe he's just a collector.  I know myself, I used to own at least 7 $300+ cans at one point.  I finally sold some of them (and gave some others away) recently because I wasn't ever using them again hah.

Correct. I have been getting high end cans for over 5 years and like to collect different models to switch between them as I please.

Aug 16, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #4,421 of 8,134
  1. 6  ohms JVC HA-G77 (originaly replaced and rewound driver) patented in Serbia  >DD drivers speakers>.
Those cans of massive sound are amazing. They need some amplifying , but they quite fits in better sound card with good pre-amp.Volume is linear, you may be surprised with their purity and cristal clear   with very wide sound stage. Never heard this headphones before like this!!! maybe AKG sound similiar, but not that quality like   6 ohms giants. They are totally analitic and good in any music production  .Not for portable use. With no problem i can compare these headphones with any over 600 euros.The lower the resistance of  drivers ,headphones sounds better. i sign that.

2. Sony MDR-XB700 24 ohms
3. Sennheiser Momentum 16 ohms
4. AKG k240 64 ohms

can you please give some more information on those !

Aug 16, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #4,422 of 8,134
I don't consider the LCD-XC to be a "done right" headphone, IMO, the treble was too recessed for me and it's so uncomfortable.  Same with the JVC, I've seen multiple posts about the headband being uncomfortable but I have no heard this headphone myself, so take that with a grain of salt.  I haven't heard the Pandora either so that might work prove me wrong.  I don't think including modded cans (such as the ZMF) is fair given the company who made the headphone originally, couldn't get it "done right" themselves.  If you consider comfort, as I personally do, then the LCDs are out, most likely so are the JVCs (from what I've read), and so are the Focals and then my point still stands.  Again this is my opinion.

I don't quite agree with your comment regarding modded Cans, ZMF and my favorite, the Alpha Dog, take decent mass produced HP's and recreate them to deliver a significantly better SQ. The Alpha Dogs are neutral, true to the music, and provided an excellent alternative for private listening, IMO. Cheers :beer:

Aug 16, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #4,423 of 8,134
In Serbia there is one man who holds the patent OF coil drivers for speakers, headphones and microphones .
Its his job for 30 years. He patented the winding spune which is unique in the world.
tHE BEST QUALITY  for his patented sound is  that you have any quality second hand or new phones with minimum 50 mm driver.. and for small amount of money you will get one of the best sounding cans that you ever heard. I SIGN THAT. It has equipment for test the quality. I have his  hand refolded  two pairs of JVC headphones . His recommendation is that the headphones are working at minimum 6 ohms, while speakers can go up to a whopping 0.25 ohms. Headphone amplifiers are needed that can give its full capacity. it would be best to stick with germanium transistors, then reach their best expression. the sound quality is amazing. even in the most ordinary sound cards such headphones sounding superior. There is no lying, no cheating
This is the technical specifications of his work >

http://www.wipo.int/patentscope/search/en/WO2001065889

Aug 16, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #4,424 of 8,134
I don't quite agree with your comment regarding modded Cans, ZMF and my favorite, the Alpha Dog, take decent mass produced HP's and recreate them to deliver a significantly better SQ. The Alpha Dogs are neutral, true to the music, and provided an excellent alternative for private listening, IMO. Cheers :beer:

I read it that way too at first, but then I realized that Byrnie was saying that Fostex didn't do it right in the stock version; he wasn't criticizing professional modders.

Aug 16, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #4,425 of 8,134
I read it that way too at first, but then I realized that Byrnie was saying that Fostex didn't do it right in the stock version; he wasn't criticizing professional modders.

Exactly and thx Claritas! I actually think the Alpha Dogs are wonderful and Dan (Mr Speakers) is awesome to talk to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back