Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Aug 9, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #4,382 of 8,138
Yeah I think sennheiser reached the top of the snowy dynamic mt top with the hd800...but planars are climbing a bigger mountain .. cant wait to see whats coming

Actually I personally don't think the HD 800 has quite reached the top, it's not as good as the R10 imho. The only planar that is quite in the same league as the top electrostatics and the R10 is the Abyss in my opinion. Will planars improve much beyond the Abyss or will it relatively stagnate around the Abyss is the real question. I used to think the one technology was better than the other but then I heard some of the top phones old and new, I'm not so sure anymore. Planars are definitely maturing though.

Aug 9, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #4,383 of 8,138
Yeah I guess we will see ..but if I was in the headphone business id be making planar cans...I have a feeling they'll reach far better in the coming years ....but there comes a peak and then its all taste and colour preferences

Aug 9, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #4,384 of 8,138
Yeah I guess we will see ..but if I was in the headphone business id be making planar cans...I have a feeling they'll reach far better in the coming years ....but there comes a peak and then its all taste and colour preferences

I would too as it's the big thing and still maturing. I personally think the Abyss may of hit the plateau of orthos personally, where only small incremental improvements come later on, we shall see. It all really comes down to taste and preference in the end though. Well anyways, I think we strayed off topic a bit too long.

Aug 9, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #4,385 of 8,138
I agree totally! ! I love my grados and most of the time they sound terrible!. But!! Sometimes its bliss ..lol the topic needed some life :) lastly... only small increments separate abyss and stax

Aug 9, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #4,387 of 8,138

Yeah I think sennheiser reached the top of the snowy dynamic mt top with the hd800...but planars are climbing a bigger mountain .. cant wait to see whats coming

Actually I personally don't think the HD 800 has quite reached the top, it's not as good as the R10 imho. The only planar that is quite in the same league as the top electrostatics and the R10 is the Abyss in my opinion. Will planars improve much beyond the Abyss or will it relatively stagnate around the Abyss is the real question. I used to think the one technology was better than the other but then I heard some of the top phones old and new, I'm not so sure anymore. Planars are definitely maturing though.

Yeah no the HD800 definitely isn't the pinnacle, the Sony DR-Z7 is considerably faster and has tighter bass, and I assume the same is true of the R10. The HD800 sounds very diffused and loose down low whereas the Z7 is razor flat and incredibly tight.

It's a bit emphasized in the lower treble though; no dynamic I've used so far seems to do everything just right. And yes, before anyone asks: I have heard both of them, driven quite well. 

OT:

1: Pioneer Monitor 10-II (modded, though the mods didn't do much for the sound)
2: Sony DR-Z7
3: Pioneer Monitor 10
4: Pioneer SE-500 (modded)
5: Sony MDR-605 (modded)

Aug 10, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #4,388 of 8,138
Quote:

Why do you get so little time with the Stax?

I only like using it on special enjoyment occasions. Stax have a wow factor if you intersperse them with dynamic usage; I don't want to get used to the electrostatic sound.
Quote:

Actually I personally don't think the HD 800 has quite reached the top, it's not as good as the R10 imho. The only planar that is quite in the same league as the top electrostatics and the R10 is the Abyss in my opinion.

Too bad most R10s are rotting from the inside-out by now. I'm not convinced even a perfect R10 is really better than the HD 800 in non-subjective respects. I think the R10 played second-fiddle to the HE90 and Omega back in the day, but of course I'm biased. 
redface.gif

Aug 10, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #4,389 of 8,138
  I only like using it on special enjoyment occasions. Stax have a wow factor if you intersperse them with dynamic usage; I don't want to get used to the electrostatic sound.
Too bad most R10s are rotting from the inside-out by now. I'm not convinced even a perfect R10 is really better than the HD 800 in non-subjective respects. I think the R10 played second-fiddle to the HE90 and Omega back in the day, but of course I'm biased. 
redface.gif

That is true, most are not aging well. Which is why despite the bass-heavy R10 being my favorite headphone I've ever heard, I will likely never get a pair, that and the fact they have risen so much in price. I haven't seen the full measurements of either R10 before, all I've seen is some FR responses and what I saw was good, so who knows and aspects of sound is likely not even measured properly or can even be measured right. The HD 800 never sounded right to me personally. I'm just going by a purely listening aspect on multiple different systems though. I thought the R10 sounded slightly better than the Orpheus although I seem to be somewhat in the minority in that. I'm biased myself.

Aug 11, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #4,390 of 8,138
Hi,
Ranking of the headphones I own at the moment:
1. Stax SR 007 MK1 driven by Hybrid Amp by Rille (HighAmp)
2. but very very close the AKG 812 with Cavalli Liquid Fire
3. Sennheiser HD 8000

Also did have Grado RS 1000, RS 1i and RS2, but all behind the ones above.

Looking for an Audeze xd now to be able to run a closed system while family is watching TV.

Have fun with your music, guys!

Aug 12, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #4,392 of 8,138
No, it's ten time bigger and the cable is 35, so you can use even in the garden!

Aug 13, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #4,394 of 8,138
First
~ AKG K1000 "Bass heavy"
~ Stax Lambda SR207
~ Hifiman HE-4
~ Pioneer SE700
~ Sennheiser HD580
~ Pickering O-A7

I "inherited" the K1000, SE700, Pickering and HD580 from my father. He let me take them when he moved onto his KEF LS50 speakers, which was when I moved out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back