Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Jul 24, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #4,366 of 8,138
God... I really don't want to accept it, but...

1: Pioneer Monitor 10-II: Holy crap, Pioneer. Released in 1985, and yet I haven't heard a monitoring headphone as good as this one. All frequencies, from sub bass to high treble, are present and absolutely flawless. Clarity is through the roof; these are one of if not the most resolving headphones I've ever used. Superlow distortion, smooth as butter. Has this sense of finesse and effortlessness to the sound that is simply breathtaking. Very comfy, too. Caveats are a restricted soundstage size when compared to the original Monitor 10 (which is super deep and seperated) and a very poorly designed enclosure that's simply too breakable and too resonant. Some mass loading to the baffle helps this a little, but that can only do so much.

2: Sony DR-Z7: I don't know, somehow it's just as fast if not faster than the 10-II, and all of the details are still there, but... something about it is definitely off. It sounds like it's trying too hard, if that makes sense. It sounds strained and almost distorted at times, especially in the upper midrange, though not in an aggressive way. It's either high even-order distortion or the fact that this is a far-field speaker cone being smashed up against your ear... probably a little of both, actually. Still enjoyable, but it has been bested, especially in comfort. Seriously, ow Sony.

Nothing else is worth ranking. These two are all I need, and the Z7 is seeing less and less use every day...

Jul 26, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #4,367 of 8,138
Very happy with current headphones although owned a set of  Grado SR60's for the last twenty years which always sounded superb - couldn't sell them so gave them away to a friend also into high Rez music and he has raved on about the sound ever since.

Now have Sony's audiophile-grade XBA-4 in-ear headphones which deliver highly refined sound, with potent bass, airy treble, and excellent noise-isolating performance. They incorporate four balanced armature drivers in each earpiece for ambient noise isolation. This headpone setup is great on the move with my Fiio X5 running High Rez recordings.

And!

Latest buy is the Audeze LCD-2 (up dated model) planar magnetic headphones. Fast and dynamic with terrific bass, beautifil midrange. They appear to be heavy when sitting in the case but found I can wear them for hours without fatigue.

The Audeze LCD-2's are the obvious best pick of the two. 

About to invest in the Sennheiser RS 180 wireless headphones - What do you think?

Aug 8, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #4,371 of 8,138
  New addition to the headphone stable.

1.) AKG K712 Pro
2.) Beyerdynamic DT 150
3.) AKG K612 Pro
4.) Sennheiser HD 545
5.) Sennheiser HD 239

Intriguing. I wonder if the DT150 is in any way similar to the DT250.

Aug 8, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #4,372 of 8,138
Headphones currently owned.

Sony MDR 7520
Sennheiser HD8
Audeze LCD2.2
Beyerdynamic DT770-80
Sennheiser HD600
AKG 181DJ
AKG 420
JVC HA-S500
ATH Pro700MK2

In ranking my headphones in usage time, from most to least:

MDR 7520
Sennheiser HD8
Sennheiser HD600
LCD2.2
DT770

In ranking my headphones in sound quality, enjoyment:

Sennheiser HD600
MDR7520
LCD2.2
Sennheiser HD8
DT770

Aug 8, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #4,373 of 8,138

I haven't heard the DT 250, so I can't say if they are similar or not, it's definitely not like other Beyers I've heard though. One thing is for sure the DT 150 doesn't sound like a closed headphone in terms of clarity, soundstage, and spaciousness yet it somehow manages to produce a big powerful bass that dynamic open-backs generally aren't capable of when it's called for while still retaining clarity and coherency. It's a rather lush sounding headphone with a good amount of body to it's sound and doesn't seem lacking in the bass, mids, or highs although it is on the dark and warm side in terms of tonality. It sort of reminds me of the HD 650(going by memory) with somewhat more prominent highs(seems to have a slight Beyer-peak) and more powerful bass while still having mids on the intimate side with a bit of the Beyer flavor to its sound. It's a rather unique sounding headphone in my opinion. The pads need to break-in more so the seal will be better and they need a bit more use.

Aug 8, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #4,374 of 8,138
Update 8/8/14

Sound Quality & Head Time

1. HE560
2. Alpha Dogs
3. HD650
4. PSB M4U1
5. Sony XB-4a

The 560 and the Alpha Dog are significantly better than the others, which is hard to say about my beloved HD650's, who are now role players for midrange centric recordings.

Aug 8, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #4,375 of 8,138

In the beginning of this thread there some comparisons:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/265251/beyerdynamic-dt-150-bloody-brilliant

See also:
http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?showtopic=1371

Aug 8, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #4,376 of 8,138
In ranking my headphones in sound quality, enjoyment:  
Sennheiser HD600
MDR7520
LCD2.2
Sennheiser HD8
DT770

I find that very interesting. Why did you put the LCD2 so low?

Aug 8, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #4,377 of 8,138
Aug 9, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #4,379 of 8,138
Yeah lcd 2 are magic...differently dont lack intimacy I feel like im on a hammock on a tropical island drinking a pina colada.....I think all the dynamic phones r getting left behind by all the new planar cans....

Aug 9, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #4,380 of 8,138
Yeah lcd 2 are magic...differently dont lack intimacy I feel like im on a hammock on a tropical island drinking a pina colada.....I think all the dynamic phones r getting left behind by all the new planar cans....

I thought the LCD-2 was something special when I heard it. I haven't heard the fazored though. I would agree that dynamics are getting a bit left behind by planars, there are some exceptions but planars seem to be taking over, I'll probably go the planar route for my end-game headphone, most likely an Audeze phone, unless Sony manages to release a proper R10 successor with their upcoming flagship. I think the problem is that only a few dynamics out there are truly well-implemented.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back